The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

School wrote to parents telling them their eight-year-olds had to attend workshop on Islam - or be branded RACIST on their permanent record

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: School wrote to parents telling them their eight-year-olds had to attend workshop on Islam - or be branded RACIST on their permanent record

Post by Hicks on 22.11.13 20:37

I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of 'agenda' being taught in British schools.

My own daughter ( who is in year 8, which is 12/13years olds) came home from school a few weeks back telling me that she got told off in her R.E lesson for saying that, in her opinion, migrants coming to the UK ( especially those from Muslim cultures) should try to intergrate into our culture and abide by our laws, as we would be expected to do when visiting other cultures.

A trip to the local Mosque a week later, the teacher felt that the opinions of the class were made from a position of ignorance and bordered on racism. The females in the class were told to wear headscarves.

I was/am furious. I certainly exercised MY right to freedom of speech.

Hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: School wrote to parents telling them their eight-year-olds had to attend workshop on Islam - or be branded RACIST on their permanent record

Post by Guest on 22.11.13 22:42

If this had happened when my son was at school I think that I would have gone completely and utterly spare. I'd probably still be spitting feathers now!

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 22.11.13 22:57

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:If this had happened when my son was at school I think that I would have gone completely and utterly spare. I'd probably still be spitting feathers now!
What I particularly liked was the parents were charged £5 to send their children on this compulsory trip.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 22.11.13 23:45

Wearing a headscarf when entering a mosque is a sign of respect. I have taken school children on similar trips and girls have always been asked to cover their heads, just as they are when visiting a Gurdwara. There is no difference between this and say wearing a veil when meeting the Pope in my mind.  

Fees for school trips are also voluntary in state schools. They may be a recommended amount but you cannot be forced to pay.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 22.11.13 23:54

@uppatoffee wrote:Wearing a headscarf when entering a mosque is a sign of respect. I have taken school children on similar trips and girls have always been asked to cover their heads, just as they are when visiting a Gurdwara. There is no difference between this and say wearing a veil when meeting the Pope in my mind.  

Fees for school trips are also voluntary in state schools. They may be a recommended amount but you cannot be forced to pay.
When you took the children to a mosque or a temple were the boys asked to cover their heads? This is Britain, girls don't have to cover their heads unless they want to.

Have you ever taken any children to visit Christian churches?

I'm not having a go at you personally but it does seem a bit silly that you can't sit in a Religious Education class and be presented with a book and a teacher and to be taught about different religions without having to go visit a mosque or an explanation/cultural experience of Islam.

Editing to add: Kate McCann didn't cover her head when she had an audience with the Pope.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 23.11.13 0:05

You only need to cover your head when having a private meeting with the pope, and despite all the spin this is not what the McCanns had!

Boys were not asked to cover their heads, but nor are men asked to when having a private meeting with the pope. We used to visit a Gurdwara, a mosque and a church all in the one day so students could compare and contrast them. For many it was the first time they had ever set foot in a religious building of any description.

Visiting and experiencing is worth a thousand classroom based lessons. Students develop a much better understanding by being there and being able to ask questions of the priest/imam etc. jmo.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.11.13 0:45

@uppatoffee wrote:You only need to cover your head when having a private meeting with the pope, and despite all the spin this is not what the McCanns had!

Boys were not asked to cover their heads, but nor are men asked to when having a private meeting with the pope. We used to visit a Gurdwara, a mosque and a church all in the one day so students could compare and contrast them. For many it was the first time they had ever set foot in a religious building of any description.

Visiting and experiencing is worth a thousand classroom based lessons. Students develop a much better understanding by being there and being able to ask questions of the priest/imam etc. jmo.
I truly stand corrected (and I mean that in all sincerity).

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 23.11.13 2:02

@uppatoffee wrote:You only need to cover your head when having a private meeting with the pope, and despite all the spin this is not what the McCanns had!
- snip -
Exactly, uppatoffee!  Much as they want the guillible to believe otherwise, unlike Tony & Cherie, the McCanns were not given a private audience and simply joined other worshippers at the pope's traditional Sunday mass in St Peter's Square. 

I found it particularly significant that, despite her not seeming overly anxious to present it to him, Benedict XVI blessed the photo of Madeleine KM was clutching but he did not bless her or her spouse - nor did he linger over the couple.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 23.11.13 5:35

@ultimaThule wrote:
- snip -
Exactly, uppatoffee!  Much as they want the guillible to believe otherwise, unlike Tony & Cherie, the McCanns were not given a private audience and simply joined other worshippers at the pope's traditional Sunday mass in St Peter's Square. 

I found it particularly significant that, despite her not seeming overly anxious to present it to him, Benedict XVI blessed the photo of Madeleine KM was clutching but he did not bless her or her spouse - nor did he linger over the couple.
The Vatican Intelligence service is the envy of many governments. winkwink 

I always cover my arms when entering a catholic church anywhere. It's simply polite to comply with such customs, should entering a mosque mean going barefoot and veiled, that's fine by me too.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 23.11.13 9:17

What kind of teacher threatens the parents of her pupils like that? She is not fit to be in the job. Looking after children entails all to work together. She won't last long in the job talking to people like that.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 23.11.13 9:25

The school was being deliberately antagonistic IMO. Of all the faiths the children could learn about this one is the one they all pick, knowing that it is emotive at the moment, and with it being at the heart of a lot of the current conflict in the world. They would no doubt defend their choice, given that we have a lot of Muslims living in the UK at the moment, but it seems like Islam is being used provocatively  by schools and their masters to cause anger and annoyance.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicks on 23.11.13 9:32

@uppatoffee wrote:Wearing a headscarf when entering a mosque is a sign of respect. I have taken school children on similar trips and girls have always been asked to cover their heads, just as they are when visiting a Gurdwara. There is no difference between this and say wearing a veil when meeting the Pope in my mind.  

It wasn't the fact that my daughter was told to wear a headscarf that angered me it was the attitude of the teacher who was in fact accusing the class of racism for having the opinion that migrants should try to integrate. I see nothing wrong with that view.

Hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 23.11.13 10:06

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:The school was being deliberately antagonistic IMO. Of all the faiths the children could learn about this one is the one they all pick, knowing that it is emotive at the moment, and with it being at the heart of a lot of the current conflict in the world. They would no doubt defend their choice, given that we have a lot of Muslims living in the UK at the moment, but it seems like Islam is being used provocatively  by schools and their masters to cause anger and annoyance.

I think all children and all adults should learn about Islam, and about the teachings of the Qur'an.
They should learn about the penalty for apostasy, and for questioning or trying to interpret
They should learn about forced marriage to a close relative
They should learn the teachings on the treatment to be meted out to Kufr
They should learn about FGM
They should learn about the treatment of women
They should learn about the Jihad and the World Caliphate

It is important that all people, including children know and understand.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 23.11.13 10:18

@Hicks
Your daughter seems a very sensible child to me.    No way would my child have gone on that school trip and certainly no way would I have paid a fiver.

As for putting possible racist on any child's record, let them try it, human rights laws are there for a reason and I suspect many parents would go down that route.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

I suggest the parents at that school ask that this teacher be disciplined over the matter..

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 23.11.13 11:14

Silly woman to issue threats to the parents, there was no need to make this trip contentious.

As for the trip, wonderful idea.  If children learn about each others' religions there may be hope for peaceful coexistence for future generations.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with children learning about other cultures, in fact it should be encouraged. We live in a multicultural society and if we want our children to go further than the end of the street, it is in their interests to learn there is a world outside of little England.  

Sadly, racial tension is usually based on ignorance and in this case, the ignorance has been exacerbated by the silly behaviour of the adults.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hicks on 23.11.13 13:17

@PeterMac wrote:
@Smokeandmirrors wrote:The school was being deliberately antagonistic IMO. Of all the faiths the children could learn about this one is the one they all pick, knowing that it is emotive at the moment, and with it being at the heart of a lot of the current conflict in the world. They would no doubt defend their choice, given that we have a lot of Muslims living in the UK at the moment, but it seems like Islam is being used provocatively  by schools and their masters to cause anger and annoyance.
I think all children and all adults should learn about Islam, and about the teachings of the Qur'an.
They should learn about the penalty for apostasy, and for questioning or trying to interpret

Quite. My personal view is that the teachings of Islam have no place in a modern democracy.

Hicks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 23.11.13 13:54

@Hicks wrote:

It wasn't the fact that my daughter was told to wear a headscarf that angered me it was the attitude of the teacher who was in fact accusing the class of racism for having the opinion that migrants should try to integrate. I see nothing wrong with that view.
Migrants should integrate, otherwise you end up  with ghettoes and no-go areas. 

O wait, that's alreadythe case. Where was it again that they were going to inpose Sharia law in Britain? 

We are always told Islam is 'the religion of peace' - but the surahs tell us otherwise. The early surahs are quite peaceful, even tolerant but replaced by the layer surahs which are the ones that have to be obeyed. 

Sorry, I got it wrong earlier, thought it was about showing respect when entering a mosque.
Agree with all of the above.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chillyheat on 23.11.13 14:12

Islam is not a religion, nor is it a cult. In its
fullest form, it is a complete, total, 100% system of life.

Islam has religious, legal, political, economic, social,
and military components. The religious component is a
beard for all of the other components.

Islamization begins when there are sufficient Muslims in
a country to agitate for their religious privileges.

When politically correct, tolerant, and culturally
diverse societies agree to Muslim demands for their
religious privileges, some of the
other components tend to creep in as well.

Here's how it works:

As long as the Muslim population remains around or under
2% in any given country, they will be for the most part
be regarded as a peace-loving minority, and not as a
threat to other citizens. This is the case in:

United States -- Muslim 0.6%
Australia -- Muslim 1.5%
Canada -- Muslim 1.9%
China -- Muslim 1.8%
Italy -- Muslim 1.5%
Norway -- Muslim 1.8%

At 2% to 5%, they begin to proselytize from other ethnic
minorities and disaffected groups, often with major
recruiting from the jails and among street gangs. This
is happening in:

Denmark -- Muslim 2%
Germany -- Muslim 3.7%
United Kingdom -- Muslim 2.7%
Spain -- Muslim 4%
Thailand -- Muslim 4.6%

From 5% on, they exercise an inordinate influence in
proportion to their percentage of the population. For
example, they will push for the introduction of halal
(clean by Islamic standards) food, thereby securing food
preparation jobs for Muslims They will increase pressure
on supermarket chains to feature halal on their shelves
-- along with threats for failure to comply. This is
occurring in:

France -- Muslim 8%
Philippines -- Muslim 5%
Sweden -- Muslim 5%
Switzerland -- Muslim 4.3%
The Netherlands -- Muslim 5.5%
Trinidad & Tobago -- Muslim 5.8%

At this point, they will work to get the ruling
government to allow them to rule themselves (within
their ghettos) under Sharia, the Islamic Law.
The ultimate goal of Islamists is to establish Sharia
law over the entire world.

When Muslims approach 10% of the population, they tend
to increase lawlessness as a means of complaint about
their conditions. In Paris , we are already seeing
car-burnings. . Any non-Muslim action offends Islam and
results in uprisings and threats, such as in Amsterdam ,
with opposition to Mohammed cartoons and films about
Islam. Such tensions are seen daily, particularly in
Muslim sections in:

Guyana -- Muslim 10%
India -- Muslim 13.4%
Israel -- Muslim 16%
Kenya -- Muslim 10%
Russia -- Muslim 15%

After reaching 20%, nations can expect hair-trigger
rioting, jihad militia formations, sporadic killings,
and the burnings of Christian
churches and Jewish synagogues, such as in:

Ethiopia -- Muslim 32.8%

At 40%, nations experience widespread massacres, chronic
terror attacks, and ongoing militia warfare, such as in:

Bosnia -- Muslim 40%
Chad -- Muslim 53.1%
Lebanon -- Muslim 59.7%

From 60%, nations experience unfettered persecution of
non-believers of all other religions (including
non-conforming Muslims), sporadic ethnic cleansing
(genocide), use of Sharia Law as a weapon, and Jizya,
the tax placed on infidels, such as in:

Albania -- Muslim 70%
Malaysia -- Muslim 60.4%
Qatar -- Muslim 77.5%
Sudan -- Muslim 70%

After 80%, expect daily intimidation and violent jihad,
some State-run ethnic cleansing, and even some genocide,
as these nations drive out the infidels, and move toward
100% Muslim, such as has been experienced and is
on-going in:

Bangladesh -- Muslim 83%
Egypt -- Muslim 90%
Gaza -- Muslim 98.7%
Indonesia -- Muslim 86.1%
Iran -- Muslim 98%
Iraq -- Muslim 97%
Jordan -- Muslim 92%
Morocco -- Muslim 98.7%
Pakistan -- Muslim 97%
Palestine -- Muslim 99%
Syria -- Muslim 90%
Tajikistan -- Muslim 90%
Turkey -- Muslim 99.8%
United Arab Emirates -- Muslim 96%

100% will usher in the peace of 'Dar-es-Salaam' -- the
Islamic House of Peace. Here there's supposed to be
peace, because everybody is a Muslim, the Madrasses are
the only schools, and the Koran is the only word, such
as in:

Afghanistan -- Muslim 100%
Saudi Arabia -- Muslim 100%
Somalia -- Muslim 100%
Yemen -- Muslim 100%

Unfortunately, peace is never achieved, as in these 100%
states the most radical Muslims intimidate and spew
hatred, and satisfy their blood lust by killing less
radical Muslims, for a variety of reasons.

'Before I was nine, I had learned the basic canon of
Arab life. It was me against my brother; me and my
brother against our father; my family against my cousins
and the clan; the clan against the tribe; the tribe
against the world, and all of us against the infidel. --
Leon Uris, 'The Haj'

It is important to understand that in some countries,
with well under 100% Muslim populations, such as France,
the minority Muslim populations live in ghettos, within
which they are 100% Muslim, and within which they live
by Sharia Law. The national police do not even enter
these ghettos. There are no national courts, nor
schools, nor non-Muslim religious facilities. In such
situations, Muslims do not integrate into the community
at large. The children attend madrasses. They learn only
the Koran. To even associate with an infidel is a crime
punishable with death. Therefore, in some areas of
certain nations, Muslim Imams and extremists exercise
more power than the national average would indicate.

Today's 1.5 billion Muslims make up 22% of the world's
population. But their birth rates are higher than the
birth rates of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, and
all other believers. Muslims will exceed 50% of the
world's population by the end of this century.

Adapted from Dr. Peter Hammond's book: Slavery,
Terrorism and Islam: The Historical Roots and
Contemporary Threat

chillyheat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 23.11.13 14:18

@Hicks wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:

Quite. My personal view is that the teachings of Islam have no place in a modern democracy.
Why should learning about Islam be antagonistic?  Given the current climate, it is the most appropriate religion for ALL children to learn about. We are not talking about indoctrination here, we are a talking about a school visit!  Islam is a peaceful religion and should not be judged on the actions of the few extremists.  

We should encourage our children to learn about other cultures, religions and traditions, we should teach them that the majority of muslims want to live in peace in harmony alongside us and want no part of the crimes committed in the name of Islam.  It is wrong to pick up the hate propaganda of a tabloid newspaper that has sensationalised a nonsense story to create racial unrest. The headmistress should have 'idiot' stamped on her personal record, for putting her own ill conceived prejudice into those letters home.

Think of those children for one moment.  They will be having a day out to a place they have never been before, nor are they likely to go to again in their lifetimes, but it something that they will (hopefully) always remember.  They will learn that not all muslims have hooks for hands and want to kill infidels, that is they will be able to judge for themselves.  

Lets get this into perspective.  Muslims make up less than 5% of the UK population, there is no fear of Shariah Law being mandatory nationwide any time soon.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ochosi on 23.11.13 15:07

When I was at school, the RE teacher I had was a practising Christian - and quite fanatical, in my view. He didn't ever cover any other faiths in our lessons. 
I am not religious - which possibly earned me more derision from him, than if I had expressed being of another faith. 
I objected that if RE was to be compulsory, then the subject should cover all the main faiths of the world, not the chosen preference of the teacher. 
This earned me a telling off and advice that if I didn't wish to participate in RE, I would require a letter from my parents stating this. 
I said I didn't mind learning about religion, I just didn't want to be subjected to a Christian sermon in every lesson. I ended up being sent out of the class for giving cheek/insubordination or some other excuse.
After that, I produced the required letter and spent the RE time in the library from then on.

Excerpts of holy books can be extracted out of context to bolster a particular view of a person. In a similar way, excerpts of actualities can be highlighted to magnify a situation in order that it appears more threatening, more prevalent. 
There are people who use religion as a vehicle. It suits their agenda, their ego, their need to control and manipulate. I would hazard that most of what these people are trying to achieve, has nothing to do with the essence of the religion, nor does it reflect it.

Ochosi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum