The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Mm11

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Mm11

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Regist10

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally?

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Empty Re: The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally?

Post by MaryB 08.11.13 10:59

I hope there is not going to be disruption and rudeness on this forum.  Because there is simply no point.  I don't think it sounds vey like Tony either.
MaryB
MaryB

Activity : 246

Back to top Go down

The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally? - Page 7 Empty Re: The TIME of the alleged Smith Sighting & the Till Receipts that don't Tally?

Post by Guest 08.11.13 11:02

Please could I ask for any further comments not directly related to the topic under discussion to be dealt with via private message to Admin.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 08.11.13 11:07

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:Please could I ask for any further comments not directly related to the topic under discussion to be dealt with via private message to Admin.
I do hope so. The forum is turning into a zoo and all on the basis of TB's posts.

Tony Bennett isn't the only poster on here.

Get back on bloody topic for goodness' sake.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.11.13 11:28

Cristobel made an interesting observation, which is that the e-fits under discussion may be different, but still of the same man, as some of the Smiths passed him on the right side and others on the left.

It is well-known, that our faces are not symmetrical. If you mirror a left side to a left and a right side to a right side, you get two [sometimes totally] different faces.

I googled : face left side right side picture
and got quite a lot of good examples :-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse 08.11.13 11:35

Cristobel wrote

"Yes, I did see the interview Tony, in fact I took it to twitter and my memory is fine thank you.

As you know, all statements are open to interpretation, and you have interpreted what she said to suit your theory.  Her reply was generic - how many fake suspects have there been over the years?"

Just a bit of support as you so kindly twittered this on my behalf when I broke the ice with my first post - breaking this little piece of interesting news from Wendy Murphy. She was not talking about the Smiths Sightings. The fox news programme went out on the late afternoon of 10/10/13 days before the Crimewatch Programme on the 14th, and the subsequent ST article. The fox programme covered this news because of all the media publicity about the forthcoming CW prog. Prior to this, SY were publically saying they had suspects/serious new leads etc. Nothing about the Smith Sighting. Nobody knew exactly what SY were actually going to Broadcast, though there was a lot of speculation on here. Wendy was just talking in a generic way about 'Not Buying' the latest media/fake scenario to come. She, like many of us, had her own idea what might come out - we can't possibly know what that was, but probably another fake lead. I don't even know if Wendy has even followed the case that closely - she is seriously all over many injustices in her own country just now. I just think her professional nose sniffs out that this case, from what she has read/seen - just doesn't smell right.

mouse

Activity : 397

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 08.11.13 11:39

Due to other commitments, I haven't been able to read all the treads over the last few days. However, I am aware of the heated debates regarding the "Smith sighting". So, can anyone tell me - without me having to trawl through all the post to find if my question has already been answered, - has it been OFFICIALLY announced that the e-fits were made by members of the Smith family?

In many respects, I have to question, as Tony is questioning. For example, it's difficult to swallow, that if the man "carrying a child", had walked all the way from apartment 5a, through the streets of PDL, it would be incredible to find that only the Smith's witnessed it.  So, I go back to my original question; has it been officially announced that the e-fit was done by the Smiths, or were they done by someone else who may have also seen a man with a child carrying a child through the streets of PD? Now THAT would be a whole new ball game.
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 08.11.13 11:44

I don't know how relevent Smithman to the case and solving of it will be? There were from what we read numerous tips called in after the CW that presented the e-fit evidence to the public. So far we have heard nothing more about it. What if we hypothesise and pretend the Smith sighting is for real. How has his sighting helped find Madeline? What if his identity is never revealed and he is never found? Where does that all leave the case? And what about all the other person's of interest supposedly, like Tractorman. It really sounds to me like there is a grasping at straws in this case to keep up public interest, and maybe for the McCann's to keep money coming in to their fund. I just don't think any of their persons of interest will lead anywhere but to another dead end.

Activity : 2154

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 08.11.13 11:55

Joss wrote:I don't know how relevent Smithman to the case and solving of it will be? There were from what we read numerous tips called in after the CW that presented the e-fit evidence to the public. So far we have heard nothing more about it. What if we hypothesise and pretend the Smith sighting is for real. How has his sighting helped find Madeline? What if his identity is never revealed and he is never found? Where does that all leave the case? And what about all the other person's of interest supposedly, like Tractorman. It really sounds to me like there is a grasping at straws in this case to keep up public interest, and maybe for the McCann's to keep money coming in to their fund. I just don't think any of their persons of interest will lead anywhere but to another dead end.
Joss, what I keep reminding myself  is JUDICIAL SECRECY. The British police, at least, are NOT going to give the great unwashed a running commentary of what they have uncovered and what they have not. Basically, all we know are the a few snippets, that I am not going to go through, and the "151 people of interest". Now, all those have to be eliminated. Again, from the mouths of the OFFICIALS, the got that down to 41. That tells me they have spoken to all those people, or have eliminated them for reasons unknown to us. Now, back to the 41 people of interest. Tractorman was an easy target, because he's no longer alive, and dead people can't sue. So, again, I doubt that it was the British police who leaked the story of tractorman. My guess is, and it is only a guess, that the press are all over the investigation like a bad rash, and when they discovered that the police were talking to the family of a DEAD suspect, the press went to town. No Carter Rucks around for this story, so print all the crap you like.

If it turns out, in the end, that it IS a whitewash, then I will question where the UK goes from here. But I am thinking at this moment in time "this is all a whitewash" then I have to question why I spend so much time reading and, occasionally, contributing to this forum. We all may as well pack up and call it a day!
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Post by BRODFB 08.11.13 11:57

Tony Bennett wrote:
Okeydokey wrote:
Another possibility is that the Portugese ask that as a standard question of both Portugese and holidaymakers when investigating crimes. So you will get the answer either, yes or no.
Would you concede that this possibillity is exceedingly remote and is a meaningless question?
I am still failing to grasp why it is so important if the question was asked of not?

Activity : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.11.13 12:02

BRODFB wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
Okeydokey wrote:
Another possibility is that the Portugese ask that as a standard question of both Portugese and holidaymakers when investigating crimes. So you will get the answer either, yes or no.
Would you concede that this possibillity is exceedingly remote and is a meaningless question?
I am still failing to grasp why it is so important if the question was asked of not?
Leading the witness?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 08.11.13 12:09

sallypelt wrote:
Joss wrote:I don't know how relevent Smithman to the case and solving of it will be? There were from what we read numerous tips called in after the CW that presented the e-fit evidence to the public. So far we have heard nothing more about it. What if we hypothesise and pretend the Smith sighting is for real. How has his sighting helped find Madeline? What if his identity is never revealed and he is never found? Where does that all leave the case? And what about all the other person's of interest supposedly, like Tractorman. It really sounds to me like there is a grasping at straws in this case to keep up public interest, and maybe for the McCann's to keep money coming in to their fund. I just don't think any of their persons of interest will lead anywhere but to another dead end.
Joss, what I keep reminding myself  is JUDICIAL SECRECY. The British police, at least,  are NOT going to give the great unwashed a running commentary of what they have uncovered and what they have not. Basically, all we know are the a few snippets, that I am not going to go through, and the "151 people of interest". Now, all those have to be eliminated. Again, from the mouths of the OFFICIALS, the got that down to 41. That tells me they have spoken to all those people, or have eliminated them for reasons unknown to us. Now, back to the 41 people of interest. Tractorman was an easy target, because he's no longer alive, and dead people can't sue. So, again, I doubt that it was the British police who leaked the story of tractorman. My guess is, and it is only a guess, that the press are all over the investigation like a bad rash, and when they discovered that the police were talking to the family of a DEAD suspect, the press went to town. No Carter Rucks around for this story, so print all the crap you like.

If it turns out, in the end, that it IS a whitewash, then I will question where the UK goes from here. But I am thinking at this moment in time "this is all a whitewash" then I have to question why I spend so much time reading and, occasionally, contributing to this forum. We all may as well pack up and call it a day!
sallypelt,  Yes they said Judicial secrecy and it will be interesting to see what all unfolds from Portugal in their reopening of the investigation. I am just speculating from what is known to the public so far, as to where all of the SY and Portugal investigations will lead? Weren't they just tying up loose ends in the case?
And i guess it ain't over until the fat lady sings, LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 08.11.13 12:12

BRODFB wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:
Okeydokey wrote:
Maybe the police were just trying to find out if the person could of been a foreigner or a local?
Joss
Joss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 08.11.13 12:12

When was Tractorman last mentioned in the UK press?
Seems to be they have gone very quiet about him.

Maybe his family have taken legal advice, and we know all about ambulance chasers don't we Mr Pinkie, and are even now preparing a libel case against the UK papers.
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Lioned 08.11.13 12:13

I suppose you could look at it from another angle and say that it might actually be quite strange if you didn't see the odd Dad carrying around his child in a holiday resort,even late in the evening.

Quite strange infact that despite all the publicity only two 'Dads' were seen carrying children that night !

Ok so it was still relatively early in the season but at a time when it was probably just starting to get busy with families with pre-school age kids getting away before the summer rush.

I know when my kids were little that's the time we would generally go away.

Mind you we did actually go as a 'family' and take the kids out with us in the evening.

Maybe Pdl is just a place where selfish parents go !
Lioned
Lioned

Activity : 168

Back to top Go down

Post by T4two 08.11.13 12:16

Tony Bennett wrote:
T4two wrote:Is it not interesting that Cape Verde man appeared on the scene after Smithman's dramatic reappearance in the Scotland Yard inspired Crimewatch  programme, thus successfully directing media attention away from the Smithman story, which was being given extensive coverage in the UK media following the 'revelations' in that programme? The Cape Verde man story is ostensibly based on a leak from the Portuguese police, but it would not be the first time that the TM PR machine had leaked information through a friendly Portuguese newspaper and blamed the Portuguese police for the leak. If the Cape Verde story was indeed leaked by the Portuguese police, then the question arises as to why they would leak this information and provide a distraction from the Smithman story for TM's PR machine to exploit? If however the Cape Verde man leak is a red herring emanating from the TM PR machine, then this would suggest that the Smithman sighting is something TM would now like to bury. Perhaps since they no longer have the possibility to link Smithman with the now defunct Tannerman, Smithman has to go too?
I think there is much in your line of thinking, but a very dark brown-faced man from the Cape Verde islands isn't actually going to help to 'bury' the Smith sighting.
But it did - in the media - which was my point. Just thinking aloud...
T4two
T4two

Activity : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 08.11.13 12:23

galena wrote:
One thing I am certain of is - whether the Smith family did meet the man they described they certainly were influenced by the description of Tannerman as released by the media. It seems natural to me that if you only got a glimpse of a stranger in the dark, whom you later thought might have been the same man Tanner described, then you would be likely to fill in the blanks with the description she gave - whether consciously or unconsiously. 
Yes.

And this is a very very important point.

So let us now see what we can find out about reports of Jane Tanner's sighting.

I believe that it was on Friday 25 May that the Portuguese Police released a very short description of Tannerman. This is how it was reported:

Detectives issued a description of a man seen on the night the four-year-old went missing in the resort of Praia Da Luz in the Algarve. Officers said the man was "carrying a child or an object that could have been taken as a child".

The man is said to be white, aged 35-40, 5ft 10in tall, medium build with hair that was short on top. He was wearing a dark jacket, beige or golden long trousers and dark shoes. At a news conference, Ch Insp Olegario de Sousa urged the man or anyone who had seen him to come forward.

UNQUOTE

Comment. Nothing about him 'looking like a tourist'. Nothing about a blonde, female child carrying a child in pyjamas and barefoot etc. This statement was forced out of the PJ by pressure from the British government right up to Gordon Brown.  

Then, on Saturday 26 May 2007, Gerry made this statement to the world's journalists (from mccannfiles - with thanks):

Gerry: "Good afternoon.

We are very much... welcome the decision of the Portuguese authorities to release details of a man seen by a witness, here in Praia da Luz, on Thursday the 3rd of May - the night of Madeleine's disappearance.

The release of this important information followed an earlier meeting that we had with senior Portuguese police officers. A meeting that Kate and I both found to be amicable... amicable and very constructive.

We feel sure that this sighting of a man, with what appeared to be a child in his arms, is both significant and relevant to Madeleine's abduction and we would appeal, once again, to anyone who may have seen him or anything else suspicious, on or around the 3rd of May, to come forward and tell the police.

For instance was this man seen anywhere else in or near the town with a child, or what appeared to be a child? Which direction was he heading in? Did he have a vehicle?

Whether you're a local resident or a holidaymaker who has since returned home from Portugal, any information, no matter how unimportant you may think it could be, may be vital in helping the Portuguese and British police to find our daughter.

As we said yesterday, we wish for nothing more than to bring Madeleine home with us safe and well.

Kate and I would also like to make it clear that, as this is very much an ongoing police investigation, we will not be making any further public statements for the time being.

Thank you."

UNQUOTE

Comment. STILL nothing about him 'looking like a tourist'. STILL nothing about a blonde, female child carrying a child in pyjamas and barefoot etc.

On the very same day (26 May), the Smiths gave their statements to the police, in person, at Portimao Police Station.

Comments:

What can explain the remarkable similarities of Tannerman and Smithman? - 17 different similarities as I posted on another thread.

One possibility that ought not to be ruled out is that one of the Smiths (say Martin Smith) had secret prior knowledge of Jane Tanner's description. All that the public had at this stage was the very brief details released by the PJ - who as we now know didn't 'buy' JT's sighting from the get-go. How could Smith have got this prior information?

There are a number of possibilities.

Smith knew Murat well.

Murat was in the right place at the right time to be involved as translator with many of the earliest translations of the evidence of the 'Tapas 9'. He also spoke to police about his theories and was caught by an inspector browsing through police documentg on the case.  

One other very important point.

Redwood has confirmed that Jane Tanner was right.

He has, he claims, identified crecheman, who was wearing the same clothes and carrying the same description of a child wearing the same pyjamas etc.

crecheman simply cannot be Smithman - no-one is suggesting that crecheman was still carrying around a 3-year-old child barefoot and in pyjamas in the cold night air for 45 minutes.

It follows that anyone who believes that the Smithman sighting is a genuine sighting by the Smiths must account for Martin Smith coming up with a bloke who in 17 different respects is exactly the same as Tannerman.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.11.13 12:29

Tony Bennett wrote:
crecheman simply cannot be Smithman - no-one is suggesting that crecheman was still carrying around a 3-year-old child barefoot and in pyjamas in the cold night air for 45 minutes.

I've seen this said a few times. But while it might seem bizarre under normal circumstances, would it still be so bizarre by the standards of this case?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by chillyheat 08.11.13 12:33

Theres been a lot of discussion about sightings and E-Fits.....I have tried to give my best opinions on these subjects and I do question them. But maybe it hasn't been helpful due to all the different views on the subject. If you read my posts from the beginning you will possibly sense Ive joined and rushed in as a conspiracy theorist, and that is because I am. 9/11, 7/7 etc etc.....Now, Ive learnt in this case over the weeks that maybe this is just a criminal case, maybe not a massive conspiracy. So my recent posts are starting to reflect that. Im starting to learn to look at this case based on what we know. There is a lot of files missing. Im looking at the points on topic and researching more. That's why I questioned the sightings by looking at the evidence we have.
Im not going to ramble on, but my problem is wording my thoughts. That's my downfall. I hope to be of help if I can, but if Im sounding stupid or my posts are off, then please tell me......Thanks all
Now lets get back to work
chillyheat

Activity : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 08.11.13 12:37

Cristobell wrote:
Yes, I did see the interview Tony, in fact I took it to twitter and my memory is fine thank you.

As you know, all statements are open to interpretation, and you have interpreted what she said to suit your theory.  Her reply was generic - how many fake suspects have there been over the years?
With the greatest of respect - and trying to keep this on-topic - I haven't 'interpreted what [Wendy Murphy] said to suit my theory'.

Wendy Murphy was as clear as a bell in asserting, for the brief reasons she was able to give in the Fox News interview, that the CrimeWatch hysteria was about a 'fake sighting' (her actual words, not mine).

Let's put it another way.

If Wendy Murphy had seen the Crimewatch programme (which she might well have done for all we know), would she now be saying:

"Gee! I was so, so wrong about this being all about a fake suspect. Wow! That Smith sighting and those two efits of two different blokes from a family who never saw his face have utterly convinced me. How could I have been so wrong?"

That's one of the reasons LancedeBoil's thread is interesting. So far it's thrown up no proof whatsoever that Martin Smith ever had a bar bill/receipt for drinks at 9.55pm as has been claimed, indeed it hasn't substantiated that the Smiths were there at all - and the manager on duty that night can't remember a family of 9 including 5 children.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by unchained melody 08.11.13 12:41

^ Yes, that's why I think the Smith sighting is unreliable and should be discounted
unchained melody

Activity : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 08.11.13 12:43

Clay Regazzoni wrote:
Tony Bennett wrote:

I've seen this said a few times. But while it might seem bizarre under normal circumstances, would it still be so bizarre by the standards of this case?
How about asking Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood of the Met?

He claims to have met Mr crecheman.

He does not say 'I've spoken to crecheman and he confirms that he was near G5A at 9.15pm and then again near Kelly's Bar 45 minutes later'.

On the contrary, clearly he has ruled that out - and wants us to look for two blokes - or maybe one that looks like two different people - zseen near Kelly's bar arolund 10.00pm. He has spoken to the nation and said so. 

I honestly do not think that a single person on this forum could dispute my statement:

"crecheman simply cannot be Smithman - no-one is suggesting that crecheman was still carrying around a 3-year-old child barefoot and in pyjamas in the cold night air for 45 minutes".

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08.11.13 12:44

Unchained Melody (love the song, by the way!) yes I certainly have my doubts about it but I'm going down the "mistaken" route rather than anything more sinister.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 08.11.13 12:48

mouse wrote:Cristobel wrote

"Yes, I did see the interview Tony, in fact I took it to twitter and my memory is fine thank you.

As you know, all statements are open to interpretation, and you have interpreted what she said to suit your theory.  Her reply was generic - how many fake suspects have there been over the years?"

Just a bit of support as you so kindly twittered this on my behalf when I broke the ice with my first post - breaking this little piece of interesting news from Wendy Murphy. She was not talking about the Smiths Sightings. The Fox News programme went out on the late afternoon of 10/10/13, [four] days before the Crimewatch Programme on the 14th...
That's absolutely correct; however, my question to Cristobel remains:

In view of all Wendy Murphy's comments, how likley is it that she would now turn round and say:

"Wow! How wrong I was! We must find Smithman!"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 08.11.13 12:49

jeanmonroe wrote:When was Tractorman last mentioned in the UK press?
Seems to be they have gone very quiet about him.

Maybe his family have taken legal advice, and we know all about ambulance chasers don't we Mr Pinkie, and are even now preparing a libel case against the UK papers.
Tractorman, (a real, dead, black person with a living family in Portugal) will now probably morph into some other ethnic minority on which to grab a diversion headline as long as they are:-

a) Dead and unable defend themselves.

b) Their families have no money to sue (or can be paid off with peanuts).

c) Most definitely not British.

Sir Winston Churchill: “Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.”
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by unchained melody 08.11.13 12:49

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:Unchained Melody (love the song, by the way!) yes I certainly have my doubts about it but I'm going down the "mistaken" route rather than anything more sinister.
smilie 
Yes "mistaken" is fine rather than providing an alibi for Murat. I agree
unchained melody

Activity : 167

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top