The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Mm11

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Mm11

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Regist10

Private Eye - still on the case !

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Private Eye - still on the case !

Post by Guest 09.11.13 21:51

plebgate wrote:I [...] Freud forgot Cameron was at his latest party.    Yeah.

Tony Blair was also there.
Old Sigmund would have had a party at that ... big grin 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Empty Re: Private Eye - still on the case !

Post by unchained melody 09.11.13 22:37

Okeydokey wrote:Private Eye has NEVER been critical of the McCanns. Hislop has only abuse for disbelievers. His ire is turned on the papers, not on Team McCann, despite the mountains of misleading statements. Where is the Private Eye satirical take on Clarence and his claim that a group of Brits when to dinner without mobiles and watches? Nowhere. Where is the outrage about the use of libel laws to silence free speech? Nowhere.

Hislop is a disgrace.
He is odd and not to be trusted, despite his wit

ETA - If I was in his position to privy information, I would rise as a freeman and speak openly without fear
of imprisonment or the loss of an insignificant publication.

That's the problem with this case - people who know the info that can bring justice to M and the world are
too scared to speak because they fear what will happen to themselves. Yes, they would be persecuted at first but in the end they would be lauded as a great human being.
unchained melody

Activity : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy 09.11.13 22:51

unchained melody wrote:
Okeydokey wrote:Private Eye has NEVER been critical of the McCanns. Hislop has only abuse for disbelievers. His ire is turned on the papers, not on Team McCann, despite the mountains of misleading statements. Where is the Private Eye satirical take on Clarence and his claim that a group of Brits when to dinner without mobiles and watches? Nowhere. Where is the outrage about the use of libel laws to silence free speech? Nowhere.

Hislop is a disgrace.
He is odd and not to be trusted, despite his wit
Yeah, just more controlled opposition.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Activity : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post by IKNOWWHATHAPPENED 10.11.13 1:20

I noted he joked about Dr Shipman being there with Jimmy Saville. Maybe Im reading too much into things thumbsup
IKNOWWHATHAPPENED

Activity : 116

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage 10.11.13 10:43

IKNOWWHATHAPPENED wrote:I noted he joked about Dr Shipman being there with Jimmy Saville. Maybe Im reading too much into things thumbsup
Easy laughs IMO. The world and his wife can talk/joke about Savile and Shipman with impunity. In fact, it's all the rage. They're dead and won't sue. That's why dead paedophiles are so useful to people like Hislop. It gives them the veneer of being on the side of justice.

Hislop is rightly aware of libel and slander. You see that on Have I Got News For You where he sometimes appears agitated if something iffy is said. He jokes about an edit, or whether it will pass the programme lawyers and casts a baleful eye at the audience.

No one could blame him for being circumspect. Unfortunately, what I increasingly perceive is a crafty man who has carved a comfortable niche in broadcasting and doesn't want his particular boat rocked thank you very much. Just like the Esther Rantzens et al before him.

I remember the glory days of David Frost and Emil Savundra. Real pioneering broadcasting by DF, with its focus firmly on social justice.

Hislop is not in the same league. He is not a noble man IMO. He does not do what it says on the tin as far as Private Eye goes - and it goes nowhere near far enough to justify its satirical epithet.  Like so much quasi-anti-establishment pulp, the veneer is wearing thin.
Mirage

Activity : 2711

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 10.11.13 10:54

Mirage wrote:
 No one could blame him for being circumspect.
He is under permanent threat of immediate imprisonment if he is ever found to have libelled anyone. No one could blame him under those circumstances for being very careful indeed.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage 10.11.13 11:13

PeterMac wrote:
Mirage wrote:
 No one could blame him for being circumspect.
He is under permanent threat of immediate imprisonment if he is ever found to have libelled anyone.   No one could blame him under those circumstances for being very careful indeed.
I see Peter. Thank you. I do remember something from some time back but had not realised he was still under constraints. My apologies to Mr Hislop for my mis-apprehension.

Admin please feel free to delete my previous post. Thank you.
Mirage

Activity : 2711

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet 10.11.13 13:08

If Ian Hislop is too frightened to upset anyone then he shouldn't be editing Private Eye. Surely the law doesn't work on a three strikes and you go to jail libel law? Either way Hislop is too old and soft and wealthy to have any edge. The one time infant terrible is a cautious, cosseted old man.
juliet
juliet

Activity : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by comperedna 10.11.13 13:33

I'll just say I have good reason to disagree with that last posting.
comperedna

Activity : 781

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 10.11.13 14:57

juliet wrote:If Ian Hislop is too frightened to upset anyone then he shouldn't be editing Private Eye. Surely the law doesn't work on a three strikes and you go to jail libel law?
He was warned personally by Eady J, I think, or possibly Tugendhat J, that he will be sent to prison for any future finding against him.
I actually think Private Eye is better for that, as you can rely on what is said to an even greater extent than before, with the knowledge that there is proper evidence for them to fall back on.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet 10.11.13 16:45

I have read Private Eye for years and feel it has really gone off the boil. There is no edge, nothing controversial or even slightly risky. If as you say, Petermac, it's because Hislop daren't stick his neck out because of jail then - as I said before - he should quit.
The  McCanns and the disgustingly obvious cover up by the Establishment should have long been a Private Eye target. But nothing....for more than six years. Just a few feeble digs at newspapers.
juliet
juliet

Activity : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Trunchbull 11.11.13 14:31

if you were an editor, in possession of real information, provided by trustworthy sources, but could not publish it yourself, don't you think that you might be tempted to leak it to another journalist?
Miss Trunchbull

Activity : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 11.11.13 15:02

Miss Trunchbull wrote:if you were an editor, in possession of real information, provided by trustworthy sources, but could not publish it yourself, don't you think that you might be tempted to leak it to another journalist?
I doubt that they would do that as it would possibly make a name for the other journo who might eventually take the editor's job.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Trunchbull 11.11.13 16:03

plebgate, what if one of the friends or MW resort staff had decided to break ranks or had something of value (like a photo or a torn page of a signing-in book). What are they to with this item? 

We agree that Hislop can't publish because he personally risks imprisonment, but you're saying he wouldn't want someone else - another journalist - to get the glory either because it might affect his career as editor? Are people as lacking in conscience as that? I don't think IH is like that at all.
Miss Trunchbull

Back to top Go down

Private Eye - still on the case ! - Page 2 Empty What 'The Oldie' has to say...

Post by Miss Trunchbull 15.11.13 13:42

The Oldie magazine is edited (and I believe founded) by Richard Ingrams. He was also a co-founder and former editor of Private Eye. The Oldie 'outed' Jimmy Savile long before the mainstream press and media ran with the story, and with this in mind, the December edition is most interesting. 

On page 79 there is a TV review written by Mr Ingrams. In it, he complains about the BBC 'Crimewatch' programme being the dampest of squibs, and merely provided the McCanns with a platform to re-tell their familiar story. He goes on to say that the supposed 'new lead' identikit picture was nothing of the kind as it had been produced in 2008 but had been suppressed because Gerry McCann threatened legal action if it was published. He goes on to say this was possibly because the witness, an Irish holiday-maker, had initially claimed the man seen with a child was reminiscent of Gerry McCann himself.

Ingrams goes on to complain that not  a word of this was referred to during the programme and that Kirsty Young tiptoed around the famously litigious couple. The choice of words here is very interesting!
Miss Trunchbull

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 15.11.13 15:35

Miss Trunchbull wrote:plebgate, what if one of the friends or MW resort staff had decided to break ranks or had something of value (like a photo or a torn page of a signing-in book). What are they to with this item? 

We agree that Hislop can't publish because he personally risks imprisonment, but you're saying he wouldn't want someone else - another journalist - to get the glory either because it might affect his career as editor? Are people as lacking in conscience as that? I don't think IH is like that at all.
I don't knowwhat Hislop is like, but I don't think he would be able to let any journalist publish anything in PE because as Editor, it would still be his head on the block.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum