The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Mm11

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Mm11

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Regist10

Oh I say!! - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh I say!! - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal?

Post by Daisy 17.10.13 23:32

candyfloss wrote:Is the BBC subject to FOI as it is a state owned broadcaster?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/requesting_information/

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

― Friedrich Nietzsche
Daisy
Daisy

Activity : 1312

Back to top Go down

Oh I say!!  - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal? - Page 2 Empty Re: Oh I say!! - Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal?

Post by AndyB 17.10.13 23:33

The Freedom of Information Act ('the Act') was passed on 30 November 2000 and came into force in January 2005. It gives the public a right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities, but also sets out exemptions from that right. The term 'public authority' is defined in the Act and includes all public bodies and Government departments in the UK. The BBC and other public service broadcasters are only covered by the Act for some purposes of our work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/about/foi_explained.shtml

I'm not sure what the bit in bold means
AndyB

Activity : 724

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 17.10.13 23:48

candyfloss wrote:Madeleine McCann: parents disappointed appeal won't air in Portugal

The parents of Madeleine McCann have been left disappointed that a renewed international appeal to find the missing girl will not be broadcast in Portugal.

There will, however, be no broadcast of the appeal in Portugal.

A source close to the McCanns said they were “of course” disappointed by this, but added that it was a matter for the Portuguese media.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/madeleinemccann/10377255/Madeleine-McCann-parents-disappointed-appeal-wont-air-in-Portugal.html
Has there been mention of the 'family source' or any other 'sources close to the McCanns' since Crimewatch UK aired?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by tiredofthebs 17.10.13 23:51

It is.

Many people have used FOI to get info regarding the TV Licence.

Activity : 215

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse 18.10.13 0:26

candyfloss wrote:Crimewatch aired in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, but why not Portugal?

The Deputy Director of News at Sic Television was meanwhile reported to have exchanged e-mails with the BBC in the days running up to the Crimewatch programme in order to secure the rights to the full programme, but to no avail.
“The BBC said they are not selling the rights”, Martim Cabral told The Portugal News, “therefore we cannot show it.”
Another Portuguese news channel, TVI, told The Portugal News that it had contacted the British national broadcaster prior to the airing of the show, as it sought to “acquire the programme for Portugal, which was denied.”
“Should the BBC change its position and should TVI continue to show an interest, it is certain that we will look at transmitting the programme in question.
“TVI has also requested the BBC clarify this situation with British media to avoid more erroneous interpretations, such as those claiming Portuguese television channels are not interested in transmitting the programme.”

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/crimewatch-aired-in-uk-ireland-netherlands-germany-but-why-not-portugal/29659

{My bolding}

Wow - no need surely for an FOI. Firstly these emails between this TV Station and the BBC should be made public then (  a question should be put in parliament to the PM (if of course this article can be backed up) as to just exactly who in the BBC refused these requests. Perhaps Chris Patten or the new DG Mr Hall, I believe, should answer to this asap. I mean, are the BBC seriously charging rights for this programme??????  A programme which the general public, paid for by licence fees, a programme which was supposed to be a serious search in the help for a missing little girl....Did they really refuse to sell this????? I can't believe they'd sell it - why didn't they just give it to Portugal - the country where the little girl was last seen? Were they really trying to make money out of, what is, and what they've done their best to portray in their trailers and program to the Great British Public - a very desperately sad search for leads to find a missing little girl? Or did  they just not want it sold?/shown?? For what ever reason.... Disgusting, either way,  but no more than I expected, sadly. If this is really true then who the hell is behind all of this? And exactly how much did Germany,the Netherlands etc have to fork out it...Maybe a FOI might be a good idea after all...
mouse

Activity : 397

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey 18.10.13 1:42

This might be something the Daily Mail (who hate the BBC) might pick up on and take forward.... :) Mrs
Okeydokey

Activity : 1013

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow 18.10.13 1:47

Be good to see the Mail do something positive for once.
notlongnow

Activity : 541

Back to top Go down

Post by Seek truth 18.10.13 5:13

Cristobell wrote:Doesn't the BBC's refusal to allow the program to be shown in Portugal, harm the search for Madeleine?  Will the McCanns now sue the BBC?
goodpost 

Brilliant! Short and well said post.

Can't understand why Amaral on the ITV news didn't say we should read all of the files or maybe the rest was cut off.

Oh and by the way, I heard that a Portuguese commentor said Just before the 9pm crimewatch programe, that the abductor had time between 8.30 -10pm to strike, now HE Already knew that was going to be said in Crimewatch. Literally 15 minutes before, why was he too trying to convince the public? He said nothing else!

lol4 lol4  
Eddie and Keela
Seek truth

Activity : 449

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 18.10.13 5:36

I suspect there is no reason for yet another programme featuring the McCanns to be inflicted on the good people of Portugal because the PJ, working in much closer co-operation with NSY than has hitherto been revealed, have amassed sufficient evidence in Luz and elsewhere to make or substantiate a case against them.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 7:48

The show wasn't broadcast in Portugal because it wasn't aimed at anyone there. They've done all they can in the last six and a half years and yet another programme would achieve nothing. They know about the Smith sighting and were never fixated on Bundleman anyway. So this week's CW "revelations" would just have a so-what effect

Appeals for blond blokes hanging around would be pointless, the residents of PdL have long since explored every option and mulled over everyone who'd been spotted in the area. They've all been eliminated. This is old stuff, it was all done at the time, and they aren't going to come up with anything new now

No, the CW show was targeted specifically at a UK audience, and you can make of that what you will
StraightThinking

Activity : 180

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyB 18.10.13 9:01

StraightThinking wrote:The show wasn't broadcast in Portugal because it wasn't aimed at anyone there.
No. The show wasn't broadcast in Portugal because the BBC refused to allow it
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 9:08

AndyB wrote:
StraightThinking wrote:The show wasn't broadcast in Portugal because it wasn't aimed at anyone there.
I meant what I said
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 18.10.13 9:12

StraightThinking wrote:
AndyB wrote:
I meant what I said
thumbsup
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyB 18.10.13 9:35

StraightThinking wrote:
AndyB wrote:
I meant what I said
I'm sure you did but if you go back and read the first post in this thread you'll see the following in bold:
Cristobel wrote:"The Deputy Director of News at Sic Television was meanwhile reported to have exchanged e-mails with the BBC in the days running up to the Crimewatch programme in order to secure the rights to the full programme, but to no avail.
“The BBC said they are not selling the rights”, Martim Cabral told The Portugal News, “therefore we cannot show it.”
Another Portuguese news channel, TVI, told The Portugal News that it had contacted the British national broadcaster prior to the airing of the show, as it sought to “acquire the programme for Portugal, which was denied.”
“Should the BBC change its position and should TVI continue to show an interest, it is certain that we will look at transmitting the programme in question.
“TVI has also requested the BBC clarify this situation with British media to avoid more erroneous interpretations, such as those claiming Portuguese television channels are not interested in transmitting the programme.”
Your view, that it wasn't aired in Portugal because it wasn't aimed at them is at odds with what the The Deputy Director of News at Sic Television is saying. Why do you disbelieve him?
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 10:00

Your version of events is not at all at odds with mine

The BBC did not agree to sell the programme to Portugal because there was no point

It was devised in conjunction with NSY for a UK audience, and that's the interesting thing about it
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse 18.10.13 10:03

AndyB wrote:
StraightThinking wrote:
AndyB wrote:
I meant what I said
I'm sure you did but if you go back and read the first post in this thread you'll see the following in bold:
Cristobel wrote:"The Deputy Director of News at Sic Television was meanwhile reported to have exchanged e-mails with the BBC in the days running up to the Crimewatch programme in order to secure the rights to the full programme, but to no avail.
Your view, that it wasn't aired in Portugal because it wasn't aimed at them is at odds with what the The Deputy Director of News at Sic Television is saying. Why do you disbelieve him?
Well someone isn't telling the full truth, either....

The media in Portugal refused to show it - as a Spokesperson for the Mccanns stated, causing them disappointment or

The BBC would not sell the Portuguese Media the rights to the programme, - so I guess from this that they sold 
the rights to Netherlands and Germany - as stated above by Sic Television Director Guy, or

Or the Mccanns did not want it shown in Portugal - because they didn't want to upset the PJ (as they stated)

Or....

What ever the reason, a lot of spin has been put out there that would suggest a FOI request alone would be a good idea - if only to find out how much money the BBC was making out of this programme - a programme made by the licence fee payer, and just what was said in those emails if they exist.
mouse

Activity : 397

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 10:10

The programme was full of timeline errors, omissions and mistakes (eg Bundleman being eliminated even though he was going 180 degrees in the wrong direction)

Why would anybody want that stuff to be inflicted upon the people of Portugal?

Or might they have spotted all the inconsistencies, based upon what they knew 6 years ago, and wondered what on earth was going on?
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyB 18.10.13 10:20

StraightThinking wrote:The BBC did not agree to sell the programme to Portugal because there was no point
That's different from what you originally said. Regardless, I don't think we have a clue why the BBC would refuse to allow the Portuguese to show it. For me the reason for their refusal is the interesting thing
AndyB

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 10:26

How about the fact that the big "revelation" of CW was the fact that Bundleman had been found, but that it would have made no sense in Portugal because they never got excited about him anyway

The programme was made in conjunction with NSY for specific reasons, and they have been satisfied by broadcasting the show in the UK. Job done
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 18.10.13 10:30

AndyB wrote:
StraightThinking wrote:The BBC did not agree to sell the programme to Portugal because there was no point
That's different from what you originally said. Regardless, I don't think we have a clue why the BBC would refuse to allow the Portuguese to show it. For me the reason for their refusal is the interesting thing
I think what straighthinking meant, as I took it( whether bbc refusal to let the portugues show it or the Portuguese didn't want to show it)was that the culprit lives in England,
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorPPlum 18.10.13 10:32

StraightThinking wrote:
No, the CW show was targeted specifically at a UK audience, and you can make of that what you will
Agreed - and just look at what it achieved.

• Shifted public focus to an independent 10pm sighting
• Created unmanageable confusion & therefore destabilisation for T9
• Re-ignited critical UK-wide debate about the case 
• Seems to have marked the moment the mainstream media retained the courage to present opinions and facts unfavourable to the McCanns
• Seems also to have marked the moment anti-McCann comments permitted for first time on newspaper websites

Whether we can understand the SY strategy or not, it's clear that two relatively recent decisions by the McCanns are behind this sea-change: the libel trial and the CW programme. Both examples of their greed and desire for control IMO

Activity : 425

Back to top Go down

Post by StraightThinking 18.10.13 10:45

By eliminating Bundleman, NSY have virtually removed the opportunity for abduction

We know from witness statements that Maddie was reported missing some time between 21.15 and 21.30 (not 21.55-22.00 as the MSM in the UK keeps saying)

The earliest time that anyone has given is 21.20, and the earliest report is the one that matters

So it was either Bundleman or some other guy heading off into the dark at almost the same time

But we now allegedly have the real Bundleman as an on-street witness to add to G, JW and JT. So it's unlikely

The people of Portugal didn't need to know all this because they didn't realise it was a big issue in the first place
StraightThinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Montclair 18.10.13 10:53

StraightThinking wrote:The programme was full of timeline errors, omissions and mistakes (eg Bundleman being eliminated even though he was going 180 degrees in the wrong direction)

Why would anybody want that stuff to be inflicted upon the people of Portugal?

Or might they have spotted all the inconsistencies, based upon what they knew 6 years ago, and wondered what on earth was going on?
Please, the people of Portugal don't want to be inflicted with more McCanns productions full of lies and PR.
Montclair
Montclair

Activity : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique 18.10.13 11:02

Montclair wrote:Please, the people of Portugal don't want to be inflicted with more McCanns productions full of lies and PR.
Maybe that is what TM want to use. Cause more disruption, media frenzy, things get misreported. 

There will be a reason. We just cant see it yet.

Activity : 1460

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 18.10.13 11:52

Given the content of the Crimewatch programme's segment on the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, I suspect the BBC's lawyers advised against it being aired in Portugal because of the ongoing libel trial in Lisbon and I very much doubt that any confirmation of this, or other reason the BBC may have for refusing to sell the programme to any Portuguese tv channel, will be given until such time as the trial is concluded.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top