The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Admission - DCI Andy Redwood has proved me wrong - and an apology him and to Jane Tanner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Admission - DCI Andy Redwood has proved me wrong - and an apology him and to Jane Tanner

Post by Tony Bennett on 16.10.13 10:12

I have made some mistakes in writing about this case.

Where they've been pointed out, I think I've usually admitted them - and corrected them where possible.

Now, following the dedicated work of DCI Redwood and his team, together with the ceaseless efforts for several months of the BBC Crimewatch production team, I have to put my hands up to yet another error.

On Wednesday 24 August 2011, I wrote to DCI Andy Redwood on behalf of The Madeleine Foundation.

For legal reasons, I can't disclose the contents of that letter and the accompanying lengthy dossier of evidence.

It was sent to:

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood,
Aten. Mr Thomas Bowen or D.I. Tim Dobson
MIT5 (Madeleine McCann Review Team)
Room 3.30,
1st Floor
Belgravia Police Station
202-206  Buckingham Palace Road
LONDON
SW1W 9SX

...and acknowledged soon afterwards.

One sentence I can however now quote from that letter is my reference to:

"...the unreliable evidence from their friend Jane Tanner about the man she claimed to have seen at 9.15pm on the evening of 3 May 2007..."

UNQUOTE

Accompanying that letter and dossier was a lengthy list of reasons for considering her evidence unreliable.

It was along broadly the same reasons as PeterMac outlined in his letter to BBC Crimewatch on 7 October, which said:

Severe doubts about the credibility of Jane Tanner

The reasons for doubting the evidence of Jane Tanner are many but include:

• changes in her accounts, such as changing the direction in which the person she
claimed to have seen was walking
• her recollection of details about the abductor and the child improving with time,
such as ‘recollecting’ on a second interview precise details of the pattern of the pyjamas of
the girl being carried (in line with what she then knew about Madeleine’s pyjamas)
• rambling and over-elaborate descriptions of the abductor and what he was wearing,
both when interviewed by the Portuguese police and later when re-interviewed by
Leicestershire Police
• her positive identification on 13 May 2007 of Robert Murat as the person she’d seen
carrying a child away from near the McCanns’ apartment - only for her to change her mind
about this months later
• her willingness to claim that the person she claimed to have seen looked like a
moustachioed man seen a sketch by a Mrs Gail Cooper, despite the fact that Jane Tanner
admitted never having seen the man’s face on 3 May
• the fact that at a press conference in August 2009, the McCanns’ chief investigator,
Dave Edgar, said that Jane Tanner might have been mistaken and seen a woman carrying
a child, not a man
• the fact that her story was so vague and inconsistent that the Portuguese police
dismissed it as a fabrication from very early on in their investigation.

I now therefore formally acknowledge to my shame that:

JANE TANNER WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

and saw a bloke carrying his child back home from the night creche - admittedly by a strange and very long route, but perhaps he fancied a long stroll carrying his sleeping child in the cold night air - a child who was wearing very similar pyjamas to those that Madeleine was wearing.

I apologise to DCI Andy Redwood on the record for misleading him.

I apologise also on the record to Jane Tanner for having ever doubted her word.

Thank goodness we have what is generally regarded as the world's finest police force on the case.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Admission - DCI Andy Redwood has proved me wrong - and an apology him and to Jane Tanner

Post by Angelique on 16.10.13 10:35

Tony

Well no one can say that you are not an honourable man to admit that you were mistaken.

I do wonder though whether DCI Andy Redwood might, at some time in the future, have to send a similar apology to you.

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Admission - DCI Andy Redwood has proved me wrong - and an apology him and to Jane Tanner

Post by russiandoll on 16.10.13 10:37

I thought the tone of Tony's post was sarcastic or have I misread it? Will read again !

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 16.10.13 10:38

@Tony Bennett wrote:I have made some mistakes in writing about this case.

Where they've been pointed out, I think I've usually admitted them - and corrected them where possible.

Now, following the dedicated work of DCI Redwood and his team, together with the ceaseless efforts for several months of the BBC Crimewatch production team, I have to put my hands up to yet another error.

On Wednesday 24 August 2011, I wrote to DCI Andy Redwood on behalf of The Madeleine Foundation.

For legal reasons, I can't disclose the contents of that letter and the accompanying lengthy dossier of evidence.

It was sent to:

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood,
Aten. Mr Thomas Bowen or D.I. Tim Dobson
MIT5 (Madeleine McCann Review Team)
Room 3.30,
1st Floor
Belgravia Police Station
202-206  Buckingham Palace Road
LONDON
SW1W 9SX

...and acknowledged soon afterwards.

One sentence I can however now quote from that letter is my reference to:

"...the unreliable evidence from their friend Jane Tanner about the man she claimed to have seen at 9.15pm on the evening of 3 May 2007..."

UNQUOTE

Accompanying that letter and dossier was a lengthy list of reasons for considering her evidence unreliable.

It was along broadly the same reasons as PeterMac outlined in his letter to BBC Crimewatch on 7 October, which said:

Severe doubts about the credibility of Jane Tanner

The reasons for doubting the evidence of Jane Tanner are many but include:

• changes in her accounts, such as changing the direction in which the person she
claimed to have seen was walking
• her recollection of details about the abductor and the child improving with time,
such as ‘recollecting’ on a second interview precise details of the pattern of the pyjamas of
the girl being carried (in line with what she then knew about Madeleine’s pyjamas)
• rambling and over-elaborate descriptions of the abductor and what he was wearing,
both when interviewed by the Portuguese police and later when re-interviewed by
Leicestershire Police
• her positive identification on 13 May 2007 of Robert Murat as the person she’d seen
carrying a child away from near the McCanns’ apartment - only for her to change her mind
about this months later
• her willingness to claim that the person she claimed to have seen looked like a
moustachioed man seen a sketch by a Mrs Gail Cooper, despite the fact that Jane Tanner
admitted never having seen the man’s face on 3 May
• the fact that at a press conference in August 2009, the McCanns’ chief investigator,
Dave Edgar, said that Jane Tanner might have been mistaken and seen a woman carrying
a child, not a man
• the fact that her story was so vague and inconsistent that the Portuguese police
dismissed it as a fabrication from very early on in their investigation.

I now therefore formally acknowledge to my shame that:

JANE TANNER WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

and saw a bloke carrying his child back home from the night creche - admittedly by a strange and very long route, but perhaps he fancied a long stroll carrying his sleeping child in the cold night air - a child who was wearing very similar pyjamas to those that Madeleine was wearing.

I apologise to DCI Andy Redwood on the record for misleading him.

I apologise also on the record to Jane Tanner for having ever doubted her word.

Thank goodness we have what is generally regarded as the world's finest police force on the case.
 I hope this apology was wrote tongue in cheek.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet on 16.10.13 10:54

But there is one small hope. Jane is surely hugely grateful to Redwood for getting her off the hook,
criminally and personally. Perhaps she will repay his kindness with honesty.

juliet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.10.13 11:01

I am sure that this article was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

Love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 16.10.13 11:06

@juliet wrote:But there is one small hope. Jane is surely hugely grateful to Redwood for getting her off the hook,
I still wonder, though, why she was so adamant on 13 May 2007 that when Murat walked past the police van where she was being asked from behind a two-way mirror to see if she could identify the person she saw, that as soon as she saw Murat walk by, she said to Amaral's men: "That's him. I'm certain it was him. I am adamant" - thus leading to Murat's being pulled in for questioning and made a suspect the very next day.

And why in the 36 hours after that, three of the Tapas 9 - Rachael Oldfield, Fiona Payne and Russell O'Brien - all made virtually identical statements saying: "I'm sure I saw that Murat bloke hanging around the Ocean Club the night Madeleine was taken".

Oh well

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garfy on 16.10.13 11:10

@Angelique wrote:Tony

Well no one can say that you are not an honourable man to admit that you were mistaken.

I do wonder though whether DCI Andy Redwood might, at some time in the future, have to send a similar apology to you.
hear hear

in  fairness  also  ...its unbleveable this man did  not come forward before....imo that sighting convinced so many to  believe that maddie had been abducted...

garfy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nomendelta on 16.10.13 11:13

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@juliet wrote:But there is one small hope. Jane is surely hugely grateful to Redwood for getting her off the hook,
 I still wonder, though, why she was so adamant on 13 May 2007 that when Murat walked past the police van where she was being asked from behind a two-way mirror to see if she could identify the person she saw, that as soon as she saw Murat walk by, she said to Amaral's men: "That's him. I'm certain it was him. I am adamant" - thus leading to Murat's being pulled in for questioning and made a suspect the very next day.

And why in the 36 hours after that, three of the Tapas 9 - Rachael Oldfield, Fiona Payne and Russell O'Brien - all made virtually identical statements saying: "I'm sure I saw that Murat bloke hanging around the Ocean Club the night Madeleine was taken".

Oh well
I rather suspect that if this point were ever pushed upon (they did drop the whole Murat thing even going so far as to deny ever identifying him IIRC) then we'd be presented with the fact that the guy taking his kid for a lovely airy stroll from the night creche in the wrong direction also bears a remarkable resemblance to Murat...given that there are a couple of other men involved directly or obliquely with this case that look like Murat it wouldn't be a stretch to throw in another one!

nomendelta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Montclair on 16.10.13 11:15

I'm sorry but I do not believe that any such person has come up. Furthermore, if he had, it was stated that he "might" be the person Jane saw. Jane must be totally puzzled because she knows that she saw noone and now someone materialises.

Montclair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 16.10.13 11:21

@garfy wrote:...it's unbleiveable that this man did not come forward before...
But that's why we have a crack team of top detectives on the case frrom what has been regarded, up to now that is, as one of the world's finest police forces.

Even though eight of the Met Police appeared to have lied through their teeth so as to bring about the sacking of government Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell.

And several of them have been taking cash, favours of even jobs by leaking confidential information to Rupert Murdoch's papers, mentioning no names, John Yates and Paul Stephenson.

And comprehensively tried to cover up the shooting dead of John Charles de Menezes.

And lied about the killing of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protest...

...and used a corrupt pathologist, Freddie Patel, to lie about the cause of his death.

Oh well...

...there's always a bad apple or two in any barrel

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Upsy Daisy on 16.10.13 11:24

my money's on 'sarcastic'! Nice one TB.

I said before that I thought AR and SY were and are setting up the McCann's and therefore I have a feeling they created this 'nice bogeyman father' to create panic amongst the T9 so they can closely watch their next moves.....

Also, did anyone notice that Kate's hair was up off her face... I wonder if this was engineered so all angles of her face, movements, eye twitches could be seen behind either a doubled sided window or to be analysed later or it was at the request of GM so she didn't have to keep turning and glaring at him to watch for signs. Just an observation.winkwink

Upsy Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet on 16.10.13 11:50

Tony, it's true great efforts were made to fit up Murat. Didn't Kate write that she hated him? The Daily Mirror girl was also led to tell the world he was a wrong'un I think. I don't know at all whether Murat is somehow involved with their scheme or massively maligned...As for Jane - she seems such an incompetent patsy. Always muddled. If Redwood said "Tell the truth and I will invent a creche dad" it would mean she was free of mccann or police threats of dragging her in for conspiring to pervert the course of justice. Like many I don't believe in creche dad and the hoarded pyjamas for a second.

juliet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by garfy on 16.10.13 12:07

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@garfy wrote:...it's unbleiveable that this man did not come forward before...
 But that's why we have a crack team of top detectives on the case frrom what has been regarded, up to now that is, as one of the world's finest police forces.

Even though eight of the Met Police appeared to have lied through their teeth so as to bring about the sacking of government Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell.

And several of them have been taking cash, favours of even jobs by leaking confidential information to Rupert Murdoch's papers, mentioning no names, John Yates and Paul Stephenson.

And comprehensively tried to cover up the shooting dead of John Charles de Menezes.

And lied about the killing of Ian Tomlinson at the G20 protest...

...and used a corrupt pathologist, Freddie Patel, to lie about the cause of his death.

Oh well...

...there's always a bad apple or two in any barrel
lets not forget savile

talk about roll  out the barrel....the yard is  chock a block  with them

the family live near  me

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10205158/Police-may-have-spied-on-grieving-family-of-Christopher-Alder-says-watchdog.html

garfy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 16.10.13 12:07

@juliet wrote:Tony, it's true great efforts were made to fit up Murat. Didn't Kate write that she hated him?
The various statements made by the McCanns and the Tapas 9 are a fascinating subject for study. Dr Gerald McCann made cautious, guarded statements about Murat along the lines of "We're all innocent until proved guilty".

This is despite Jane Tanner's adamant certainty that it was Robert Murat she saw at 9.15pm on 3 May 2007, coupled with the obviously suspcious fact, hyped up in the press at the time, that he was seen 'heading in the direction of the house where he and his mother lived'. Deadwood has now changed that. Crecheman was on his way to his apartment, not Murat's home.

The change in attitude to Murat can be traced to a short period in January 2008.

At this time, Tanner began to say she wasn't sure it was Robert Murat.

Then we had ssomeone helpfully providing photos of Robert Murat side by side with Dr David Payne and Angus Syminton, all with glasses and darkish, receding hair - with the Tapas 9 now flooding the papers with how they 'might have mistakenly identified Murat when it was really Payne or Symington - sorry if we made a mistake' etc. etc..

In her book, 'madeleine', Dr Kate McCann writes this (page 329):

"I was interested to see what 'evidence' the PJ files contained against the first arguido, Robert Murat...I read Murat's statements and the statements of others concerning him...I came across nothing that could be classified as hard evidence againt Murat...".

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum