The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Tony Bennett on 15.10.13 20:15

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, or if anyone has transcribed these interviews yet from the BBC 'Listen Again' site, in the meantime herewith my rough notes on what I heard this morning FWIW:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

NOTES ON INTERVIEWS WITH JOE MATHER AND THEN MARK WILLIAMS-THOMAS

Interviewed by John Humphrys

Humphrys:

It’s taken six years.
The detectives have now realised they’ve been looking for the wrong man.
They’re now looking for another person, seen walking to the beach at 10.00pm.
There’s a chance of a ‘breakthrough’.
Crimewatch say they’ve taken hundreds of calls, texts and e-mails.

Joe Mather in our Cardiff Studio  

The number of calls is ‘truly unprecedentred’.
We’ve had over 300 texts and emails alone.
There were a lot of British people there.
The police have never spoken to some of them before.
Several different names of the person seen at 10.00pm have been given to us already.
There are several people giving us the same name.
[Humphreys: Can you say who?]
Nothing we can reveal at this stage.
The number of calls is always significant.
I agree this is a ‘long shot’.
This all takes time. Results are quite possible years down the line.
New nuggets could still come forward.
It will at least give the police the chance to rule people out.
There was a large quantity of calls but amongst them were some that were not that helpful.
The response was better than Scotland Yard had expected.

Mark Williams-Thomas

[Humphrys: Former child protection police officer, expert on child abductions etc. etc. – Asks: ‘How significant is this new information?]
Very useful appeal.
Should have been shown in Portugal as well.
There are ex-pats there who could yield up crucial information.
The Portuguese Police didn’t have a media strategy. They should have had.
Relationships between the Portuguese Police and the British Police have been strained.
Somebody need to do some ‘relationship building between them.
We should get them to show this appeal.
The Portuguese Police should set aside their pride.
The best chance of solving this is if the British and Portuguese Police work closely together.
Some of these abduction cases are not solved until 20 to 30 years later, so there’s always hope.
One person holds the key to this.
We must get the Portuguese Police to re-open the case.
We are no further forward with this at the moment.
I hope they will now listen.

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13966
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 15.10.13 22:20

MWT "I hope they will now listen".


What a silly statement. The PJ had got to a point in their investigation and shelved it because the McCanns hot-footed it back to the UK (Leading to Mr Smith's rather interesting second statement, of a sighting which incidentally is now taking centre stage) and because there was a lack of co-operation from the Tapas group in refusing to do the reconstruction amongst other factors, not least Pinky vociferously dismissing anything the PJ came up with in his now infamous "there is an innocent explanation blah blah".


Looks like Redwood is almost poised to return to a point the PJ left off from. In saying he wants to work alongside them I think his meaning is clear.

____________________
The truth will out.

Smokeandmirrors
Moderator

Posts : 2428
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Guest on 15.10.13 22:25

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:MWT "I hope they will now listen".


What a silly statement. The PJ had got to a point in their investigation and shelved it because the McCanns hot-footed it back to the UK (Leading to Mr Smith's rather interesting second statement, of a sighting which incidentally is now taking centre stage) and because there was a lack of co-operation from the Tapas group in refusing to do the reconstruction amongst other factors, not least Pinky vociferously dismissing anything the PJ came up with in his now infamous "there is an innocent explanation blah blah".


Looks like Redwood is almost poised to return to a point the PJ left off from. In saying he wants to work alongside them I think his meaning is clear.
He also said though re the photo-fit made in 2008 that the PJ had info and to a degree who that photo fit may have been (words to that effect I think)

What I would like to know is Mr Amaral was clearly intent on speaking to the Smiths again but taken off the case, but why didn't Rebelo follow it up.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Tony Bennett on 15.10.13 22:28

candyfloss wrote:
@Smokeandmirrors wrote:MWT "I hope they will now listen".


What a silly statement. The PJ had got to a point in their investigation and shelved it because the McCanns hot-footed it back to the UK (Leading to Mr Smith's rather interesting second statement, of a sighting which incidentally is now taking centre stage) and because there was a lack of co-operation from the Tapas group in refusing to do the reconstruction amongst other factors, not least Pinky vociferously dismissing anything the PJ came up with in his now infamous "there is an innocent explanation blah blah".


Looks like Redwood is almost poised to return to a point the PJ left off from. In saying he wants to work alongside them I think his meaning is clear.
He also said though re the photo-fit made in 2008 that the PJ had info and to a degree who that photo fit may have been (words to that effect I think)

What I would like to know is Mr Amaral was clearly intent on speaking to the Smiths again but taken off the case, but why didn't Rebelo follow it up.
Because Cheshire businessman and the effective Director of the McCann Team investigation, Brian Kennedy, got to him first...?

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13966
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Woofer on 15.10.13 22:30

What does MWT mean "I hope they will now listen" ?

Someone contacted the main Portuguese TV companies and they all said no one had asked them to air it.

And if you want to build relations between the two countries, its best if you don`t denigrate one.

Woofer

Posts : 3390
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2012-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Guest on 15.10.13 22:32

@Tony Bennett wrote:Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, or if anyone has transcribed these interviews yet from the BBC 'Listen Again' site, in the meantime herewith my rough notes on what I heard this morning FWIW:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

NOTES ON INTERVIEWS WITH JOE MATHER AND THEN MARK WILLIAMS-THOMAS

Interviewed by John Humphrys

Humphrys:

It’s taken six years.
The detectives have now realised they’ve been looking for the wrong man.
They’re now looking for another person, seen walking to the beach at 10.00pm.
There’s a chance of a ‘breakthrough’.
Crimewatch say they’ve taken hundreds of calls, texts and e-mails.

Joe Mather in our Cardiff Studio  

The number of calls is ‘truly unprecedentred’.
We’ve had over 300 texts and emails alone.
There were a lot of British people there.
The police have never spoken to some of them before.
Several different names of the person seen at 10.00pm have been given to us already.
There are several people giving us the same name.
[Humphreys: Can you say who?]
Nothing we can reveal at this stage.
The number of calls is always significant.
I agree this is a ‘long shot’.
This all takes time. Results are quite possible years down the line.
New nuggets could still come forward.
It will at least give the police the chance to rule people out.
There was a large quantity of calls but amongst them were some that were not that helpful.
The response was better than Scotland Yard had expected.

Mark Williams-Thomas

[Humphrys: Former child protection police officer, expert on child abductions etc. etc. – Asks: ‘How significant is this new information?]
Very useful appeal.
Should have been shown in Portugal as well.
There are ex-pats there who could yield up crucial information.
The Portuguese Police didn’t have a media strategy. They should have had.
Relationships between the Portuguese Police and the British Police have been strained.
Somebody need to do some ‘relationship building between them.
We should get them to show this appeal.
The Portuguese Police should set aside their pride.
The best chance of solving this is if the British and Portuguese Police work closely together.
Some of these abduction cases are not solved until 20 to 30 years later, so there’s always hope.
One person holds the key to this.
We must get the Portuguese Police to re-open the case.
We are no further forward with this at the moment.
I hope they will now listen.
?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Tony Bennett on 15.10.13 22:34

@Woofer wrote:What does MWT mean "I hope they will now listen"?.
More to the point, why does this pretendy-expert keep getting called on by SKY News and the BBC to offer comment every time the McCanns are in the news?

Especially after he blundered by saying there were 'similarities' between the abductions of Joana Cipriano and Madeleine McCann.

Joana was brutally murdered by her mother and uncle after falsely claiming that 8-year-old Joana had been abducted. They are now serving 16-year jail terms.

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13966
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Guest on 15.10.13 22:37

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Woofer wrote:What does MWT mean "I hope they will now listen"?.
 More to the point, why does this pretendy-expert keep getting called on by SKY News and the BBC to offer comment every time the McCanns are in the news?

Especially after he blundered by saying there were 'similarities' between the abductions of Joana Cipriano and Madeleine McCann.

Joana was brutally murdered by her mother and uncle after falsely claiming that 8-year-old Joana had been abducted. They are now serving 16-year jail terms.
What exactly was his blunder, pray?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by jeanmonroe on 16.10.13 11:19

MWT
"We must get the Portuguese Police to re-open the case"
__________________________________________________

Be careful what you wish for.

The McCanns never thought, in their widest dreams, that SY WOULD go from review to INVESTIGATION!

If it's re-opened the McS and their 'friends' are immediately involved.(and ARGUIDOS/ARGUIDAS)

The only one not to be 'involved' will be RM who 3 of the McS doctor 'friends' tried to 'frame'

Re-open the case as 'self styled expert' has said and get the 3 'doctors' to explain why they tried to frame an innocent man!

.

jeanmonroe

Posts : 5132
Reputation : 885
Join date : 2013-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by ultimaThule on 16.10.13 11:51

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:
Looks like Redwood is almost poised to return to a point the PJ left off from. In saying he wants to work alongside them I think his meaning is clear.
I suspect NSY has been working with the PJ all along and representatives of the CPS didn't go to Portugal with the intention of taking a vacation.

This has been very cleverly crafted and hat's off to all concerned. bravo

Am I the only one who thought Kirsty Wark looked as if she couldn't wait to jump in the shower during her live chat with the McCanns?

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CRIMEWATCH EDITOR, MR JOE MATHER, ON BBC RADIO 4 ‘TODAY’ PROGRAMME, 15 October 2013, 8.10am to 8.16am

Post by Sceptic on 16.10.13 11:56

I think it might have been on this same programme or on the BBC 2 news (i flick between the two on a morning
They had an e-fit expert on highlighting the pros and cons of their use 

He stated that when two witnesses come up with two differing e-fits for the same person (which in my opinion the ones published should do e.g square jaw/pointy jaw) a third e-fit should be produced by the expert at the mid point of the features which tends to give a more accurate likeness of the person the two witness saw at the same time - hope this makes sense.

Sceptic

Posts : 155
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum