candyfloss wrote:Jerry Lawton
Police set to reveal new theory about what happened to Madeleine
#McCann in Crimewatch special on the case http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/342760/Cops-new-clues-in-the-hunt-for-Madeleine-McCann …
Police using data from mobile phone cell sites to track up to 10,000 people in Praia da Luz when Madeleine
Police appeal to anyone in Praia da Luz from April 28 to May 3 2007 who has not already spoken to cops to come forward
Met Police have 41 "persons of interest" in Madeleine
#McCann probe - inc 15 Brits - though 3 Brit suspects likely to soon be eliminated
Met Police say Madeleine
#McCann parents will appear on Crimewatch sitting "alongside" detectives for the first time
#McCann parents have filmed pre-recorded segments for Crimewatch and will be live in studio
Portuguese police has appointed team of 6 senior detectives based in Faro to assist Met 37-strong squad with Madeleine
Up to 10,000 people who were in Praia da Luz when Madeleine
#McCann vanished spread out across 31 countries
Police sent letters to forces in 31 countries asking for help to trace owners of all mobiles in Praia da Luz when Madeleine
Police say Crimewatch special on Madeleine
#McCann - to be aired on Monday Oct 14 - will feature a reconstruction of her disappearance
Police say the Crimewatch doc on Madeleine
#McCann will present a "dfferent" theory about what happened to her
Met Police say their relationship with Portuguese officers assigned to Madeleine
#McCann case is "good"
Met police say relationship with Portuguese officers on
#McCann case unaffected by McCanns' on-going libel action against Goncalo Amaral
Met Police stress they are conducting
#McCann probe with Portuguese assistance - case has not been re-opened in Portugal
Police say no-one has been arrested yet in Madeleine
DCI Redwood, leading
#McCann probe, says Madeleine's parents are `very supportive' and police's relationship with them is `very strong'
Met Police say they have `unique' knowledge of
#McCann case - studied original police files from Portugal/Leics & info from 8 PI firms
Mobile phone database in
#McCann case was compiled for Portuguese police but has been analysed in minute detail for 1st time by Met police
Madeleine McCann: Phone records may hold key, UK police say
By Danny Shaw Home affairs correspondent, BBC News
Madeleine was three when she disappeared from her family's holiday apartment in the Algarve in 2007
Mobile phone records may hold the key to solving the Madeleine McCann case, Scotland Yard detectives believe.
Three-year-old Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, vanished on holiday in Praia de Luz, Algarve, in 2007.
Police are analysing data from thousands of phones belonging to people in the village at the time. There are 41 potential suspects, they say.
A major appeal based on "substantive" new information will be broadcast on the BBC's Crimewatch on 14 October.
Madeleine was days away from her fourth birthday when she disappeared from her family's holiday apartment.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the inquiry, said officers were examining a "substantial amount of data" from mobile phones thought to belong to people who were in the resort of Praia de Luz in the days just before, during and after Madeleine's disappearance.
Police are trying to identify the owner of each phone to build up a picture of exactly who was in the area. More than 3,000 people live in Praia de Luz, while holidaymakers and seasonal workers visit from countries across the world.
"This is not just a general trawl," said Det Ch Insp Redwood.
"It's a targeted attack on that data to see if it assists us to find out what happened to Madeleine McCann at that time."
Det Ch Insp Redwood said officers had so far been unable to attribute a "large number" of mobile numbers and admitted that it was difficult to do so with phones bought six years ago on a pay-as-you-go basis.
End Quote Mark Rowley Metropolitan Police Assistant CommissionerIt's not just a bland 'Can you help us?' appeal. There is different material and a different understanding to be presented”
The records also contain information on which phone numbers were dialled and when calls were made. It is thought some phone numbers might appear on police intelligence systems or be linked to criminals.
"We can see what the phone is doing, but we can't see the text messages," said the detective. "It shows a timeline of the call data."
According to Scotland Yard, the phone records had been "looked at" during the initial Portuguese police investigation but not in detail.
Jim Gamble, the former head of the UK's Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre told the BBC's Today programme he had recommended the "cell dump" was looked at again in his 2010 review of the case.
Asked by reporters if the information held the key to the investigation, Det Ch Insp Redwood replied "It could do."
He said there was no CCTV available - evidence which is often used to help solve missing persons inquiries in the UK.
Scotland Yard announced it was launching an investigation into Madeleine's disappearance in July - after spending two years reviewing the case, under the codename Operation Grange.
At that time, detectives said there were 38 "persons of interest" from five different countries - Portugal, the UK and three others that were not named.
Police said the number had now gone up to 41, of whom 15 were UK nationals.
However, detectives said work was "pretty now complete" on three of the Britons and they were likely to be struck off the list in the near future.
No one has been arrested.
Police issued a computer-generated image (r) of how Madeleine might have looked aged nine
Since July, police have formally requested the co-operation of the Portuguese authorities and a team of six senior detectives from Faro, in the Algarve, has begun working on the inquiry. Portuguese authorities dropped their investigation into her disappearance in 2008.
Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said it was a "good and professional" relationship and it was hoped that in future a small group of Scotland Yard detectives would be based in the Algarve to work with the Portuguese.
"It's easier to do it alongside than at a distance," he said.
Law enforcement agencies in 30 other countries - most of them in Europe - have also been asked for their assistance, principally to trace people thought to have been in Praia de Luz at the time.
Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, Peter Sommer, an expert on cyber security, said the "multi-jurisdictional nature" of the case, which would involve mobile phone companies in different countries - and the gap in time - could make it harder to track people down.
But he said "cell site data" was routinely used in most criminal court cases in the UK.
Mr Gamble said the EU data retention directive, which compels telephone companies to retain call and internet records for a period of time, was at an "immature stage" in 2007.
But he said it appeared the data "wasn't properly or appropriately interrogated," at the time.
In UK investigations, he would expect the data to have been examined almost immediately, he said, but the "complex nature and geography" had made it more difficult.
Detectives said "fresh and substantive" information would emerge on 14 October, when the BBC broadcasts a Crimewatch appeal.
Mr Rowley said: "It's not just a bland 'can you help us?' appeal. There is different material and a different understanding to be presented."
Appeals for witnesses and information are also expected to air in Germany, the Netherlands and, possibly, the Republic of Ireland - the countries where most of the tourists in Praia de Luz came from.
The Crimewatch programme will feature a reconstruction and interviews with Kate and Gerry McCann, who, for the first time, will appear alongside detectives working on the investigation.
Police said the investigation was "gathering momentum", though much work was still to be done.
Of 39,148 documents from the various police and private investigator inquiries detectives from Operation Grange have processed 21,614 of them.
The number of police tasks, known as "actions", to be carried out by the new 37-strong investigative team numbers 4,920, of which 2,123 have been completed.
Det Ch Insp Redwood said police were working backwards from the moment Madeleine went missing to understand what happened to her.
"It's like peeling back the layers from an onion," he said.
Investigators from Operation Grange want to check mobile phone data from tourists who were in Praia Da Luz in May 2007.
By Ian Woods, Senior Correspondent
Scotland Yard detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in 2007 are analysing the mobile phone details of everyone who was in the Portuguese holiday resort from where she disappeared.
They are set to reveal new information about the hunt for the missing girl in a televised appeal in 10 days.
There are around three dozen British police officers working on what has been designated Operation Grange, but the officers leading the investigation say there has been increasing cooperation with the authorities in Portugal.
Six Portuguese police officers based in Faro have been appointed to liaise with officers in London.
The Metropolitan Police stress that they are "professional and committed" and were not involved in the original investigation, which remains closed.
Assistant Commissioners Mark Rowley and Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood are also sending formal International Letters Of Request to 30 other countries asking for assistance with their inquiry, reflecting the range of nationalities likely to have been in the town on May 3, 2007.
Detectives want to cross reference mobile phone data with other lines of inquiry, especially with individuals they have previously identified as "persons of interest".
Madeleine was three-years-old when she vanished from her parents' rented apartment in the Algarve seaside town of Praia Da Luz.
The Portuguese authorities closed their investigation after initially investigating her parents Kate and Gerry as possible suspects.
The Home Office agreed to order a review of the case by the Metropolitan Police and in July it became a full blown investigation.
Officers have been looking into the backgrounds of 41 individuals, 15 of whom are UK nationals.
Assistant Commissioner Rowley said three of these British citizens are on the verge of being eliminated from the inquiry.
It is a huge undertaking requiring extensive international cooperation.
The phone data has always been available, and some of it has been examined before, but the trawl through thousands of phone numbers is the most thorough yet undertaken.
DCI Redwood said the phone records could be the key to solving the mystery and he that it is not a "general trawl" for information but a "targeted attack" on possible key numbers.
"We've got a data set of phone traffic. Within that phone traffic you can see we've got some of those numbers we can attribute to people, but a large number of them we can't. So in a targeted way, we're trying to say in a particular moment in time, that is around the moment of opportunity, who's there."
"What we're trying to do is to use every route available to us to identify as many of them as possible and the phone data is one route into that, as are appeals. If you were in Praia da Luz at the time, you may get a routine phone call from the police."
The Metropolitan Police team say they have collated 39,148 documents from previous inquiries by both the Portuguese authorities, and eight different teams of private detectives hired by the McCanns.
So far 21,614 have been processed. Some 4,920 of those have necessitated follow up action and 2,123 lines of inquiry have been completed.
The new lines of inquiry will be publicised in a BBC Crimewatch programme on Monday, October 14.
The police will not confirm if new photo-fits or artist impressions of possible suspects will be issued, but there will be a reconstruction of events in Praia Da Luz, and Madeleine's parents will be interviewed during the programme.
Mr Rowley said: "It's important to stress, the Crimewatch appeal is not simply 'this is a live investigation has anyone got any information?' It is more than that. There is new information not previously presented. Fresh, substantive material upon which to make an appeal."
The McCanns will be accompanied by DCI Redwood, making it the first time the couple have made an appeal for information alongside an investigating officer.
Every other public appeal they have made during the past six years has been on their own initiative.
Press conferences in the days immediately after their daughter's disappearance were not organised by friends and advisers rather than the Portuguese Judicial Police.
It will be a symbolic moment in the long inquiry , with Kate and Gerry McCann, once labelled "aguidos" in Portugal, and investigated as possible suspects, now officially supported by detectives investigating the case.
DCI Redwood said: "I have no reason to be anything other than confident in the McCanns. They have been thoroughly supportive of our inquiry and our relationship is very strong."
There will be similar appeals on TV programmes in Germany and the Netherlands, reflecting the high number of tourists from those countries who were in Praia Da Luz when Madeleine went missing.
@Tony Bennett wrote:Full article:@ShuBob wrote:Maddie McCann was snatched by an Algarve paedo ring according to new police theory
Friday 4th October 2013
PORTUGUESE cops working on behalf of the Metropolitan Police in the UK are focusing on the theory Madeleine McCann was snatched by an Algarve-based paedophile ring, it was claimed on Friday.
A team of six Portuguese detectives are taking statements, searching police records and making other inquiries following a British police request for help, Met Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley revealed on Thursday
Local reports said they were working on the premise Madeleine, who was three-years-old when she vanished from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, may have been a victim of paedophile rings operating in the area.
Respected Portuguse daily Correio da Manha, quoting unnamed sources, said: "The work of the Policia Judiciaria inspectors is based on a line of investigation which points to paedophile rings operating in the Algarve."
The reports came as Met police raised hopes of a breakthrough in the case by revealing they had identified three new potential suspects after trawling through the phone data of holidaymakers from 31 countries who were in the Praia da Luz area when Madeleine disappeared.
The Met, which announced a £5million review of the case codenamed Operation Grange during the summer, is now examining 41 "people of interest" including 15 from the UK and said new evidence had been uncovered.
It also emerged on Thursday that Madeleine's parents Gerry and Kate will make a new appeal for information in the light of the "fresh, substantive material unearthed".
Investigators are expected to reveal a new theory that they say will give a "different understanding" about the case.
The programme, which will be screened on October 14, will feature a reconstruction of events the night of May 3, 2007, when Madeleine disappeared.
Equivalent programmes in Germany and the Netherlands, where most other tourists in Praia da Luz come from, will broadcast the material.
Kate McCann wrote of her fear her daughter was kidnapped by a paedophile in her May 2011 book on Madeleine's disappearance and the search for her.
She accused Portuguese police of covering up a series of child abuse sex cases before Madeleine went missing.
[photo: Kate and Gerry McCann]
The McCanns were first warned of an alarming number of cases in the Algarve by British consul Bill Henderson.
When police made public their files on the case in the summer of 2008, Kate discovered five cases of British children being sexually abused in their beds while on holiday and while their parents slept in another room.
She wrote in her book: "It broke my heart to read the terrible accounts of these devastated parents and the experiences of their poor children.
"What these cases do demonstrate however, is that British tourists in holiday accommodation were being targeted.
"It is so hard not to scream from the rooftops about how these crimes appear to have been brushed under the carpet."
She has also revealed she is tortured by a belief an abuser is responsible for her daughter's disappearance.
She wrote in the book: "When Madeleine was first stolen, paedophiles were all we could think about, and it ate away at us.
"The truly awful manifestation of what I was feeling was a macabre slideshow of vivid pictures in my brain that taunted me relentlessly.
"I was crying out that I could see Madeleine lying, cold and mottled on a big grey stone slab.
"The idea of a monster like this touching my daughter, stroking her, defiling her perfect little body, just killed me over and over again."
Three paedophiles thought to have been in Portugal when Madeleine McCann vanished were said to have been put on a list of suspects British police drew up after announcing their review.
They included two Brits. One, child molester Raymond Hewlett, died in 2010 from throat cancer after refusing to speak to investigators hunting for Madeleine McCann.
One theory officers were said to be investigating was that Hewlett (64) snatched Madeleine to sell her to gypsies who were apparently trafficking children to Morocco. Scotland Yard has refused to discuss him.
Urs Hans von Aesch, who shot himself dead after kidnapping and murdering five-year-old Ylenia Lenhard in his native Switzerland, has also been put in the frame over Madeleine.
A new Portuguese police team was mobilised to make inquiries on missing Madeleine after Home Secretary Theresa May sent an official request for assistance to Portugal's Attorney General's office in July.
The Algarve-based officers are understood to work for the Policia Judiciaria's Faro-based southern division, the same division tasked with the original probe into Madeleine's disappearance headed by disgraced former police chief Goncalo Amaral.
He is currently being sued by Kate and Gerry over a controversial July 2008 book he wrote accusing them of covering up their daughter's death in their apartment by faking an abduction.
British police were expected to work along Portuguese police on the new inquiries but that has so far failed to materialise.
Pedro do Carmo, the Policia Judiciaria's National Deputy Director, refused to discuss the work Portuguese police were doing.
He said: "British authorities sent a rotatory [sic] letter to Portugal which was forwarded by the Public Prosecution Service to the Policia Judiciaria so it could be complied with in the normal way."