The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Mm11

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Mm11

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Regist10

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Empty Re: Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY

Post by ShuBob 27.09.13 23:41

Thanks Sallypelt for the BBC article thumbsup 

I found this bit particularly interesting:

The McCanns' lawyer, Isabel Duarte, said it was important that he be heard.

She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence."
titter 
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY - Page 11 Empty Re: Gerry McCann may be witness at libel trial tomorrow - Jerry Lawton **UPDATE** TRIAL ABANDONED FOR TODAY

Post by ShuBob 27.09.13 23:46

ultimaThule wrote:
Trainer wrote:When the case was first "launched" started the law was that the mccanns could not be called to testifie, but due to the recent changes that is not now the case. But has Gerry turned up late so he can say " I wanted to but they wouldn't let me" but now it's been postponed ..... He can now get in the witness box and get cross examined ........
It seems Gerry can only take the stand if Dr Amaral together with his co-defendants and lawyers consent to his late request to give evidence:

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/09/gerry-mccann-wants-to-speak-in-court.html

It's inconceivable Gerry wasn't made aware he would not be able to enter the courtroom today, which begs the question of why he chose to rack up more airmiles at the expense of the Fund?
As some suspected, it would appear Gerry's change of heart is borne from a change of tactics by Isabel Duarte. If I'm reading the BBC article Sallypelt posted upthread correctly, they are applying for Gerry to take the place of another witness.
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by JackieL 28.09.13 0:01

ShuBob wrote:Thanks Sallypelt for the BBC article thumbsup 

She added: "I asked because I don't have two witnesses that I have appointed, so I have asked the court to substitute the two witnesses by Gerry, because nowadays he can give evidence."
titter 
Very important quote. The PR spin put on Gerry's appearance implies that he is somehow being prevented from appearing as a witness, but no jurisdiction, especially in the UK incidentally, just lets witnesses or evidence be presented unannounced and without proper time for the other side to consider it.  Those Perry Mason moments you see in films where someone walks into court waving that vital piece of paper and is immediately ushered into the witness box just don't happen. First the judge has to decide if the evidence which was not disclosed earlier is going to be permitted, or the witness heard, and then if the judge does say yes, there has to be an adjournment for the other side to consider it - I'm talking  English law here.  As Tony said earlier, this is particularly true for late evidence submitted by the plaintiff, rather than the defence.

The press seem to forget that it is the McCanns who are the plaintiffs here - as they are the ones pursuing the case you would expect them to have their evidence and witnesses all sorted in good time, not this shunting around at the last minute.

I think Gerry's been shoved in now because it's clear that the McCann witnesses so far haven't read the case files and have very little idea of what is actually in them.  ID is pretty poor as an advocate and has scored a lot of own goals with her line of questioning.  Her questioning has only ended up emphasising the fact that her side's witnesses don't realise how closely Amaral's book mirrors the case files which were freely available to the public prior to the book coming out.
JackieL

Activity : 236

Back to top Go down

Post by JackieL 28.09.13 0:04

ShuBob wrote:
ultimaThule wrote:
Trainer wrote:When the case was first "launched" started the law was that the mccanns could not be called to testifie, but due to the recent changes that is not now the case. But has Gerry turned up late so he can say " I wanted to but they wouldn't let me" but now it's been postponed ..... He can now get in the witness box and get cross examined ........
It seems Gerry can only take the stand if Dr Amaral together with his co-defendants and lawyers consent to his late request to give evidence:

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/09/gerry-mccann-wants-to-speak-in-court.html

It's inconceivable Gerry wasn't made aware he would not be able to enter the courtroom today, which begs the question of why he chose to rack up more airmiles at the expense of the Fund?
As some suspected, it would appear Gerry's change of heart is borne from a change of tactics by Isabel Duarte. If I'm reading the BBC article Sallypelt posted upthread correctly, they are applying for Gerry to take the place of another witness.
Do you think it's Pinto who's crying off?
JackieL

Activity : 236

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.09.13 0:25

Tony Bennett wrote:
Portia wrote:As Maddie was made a ward of Court in 2007, and as six years have now lapsed, is it not the case that she could be legally declared deceased by now?

Sorry to ask, but in some countries on the Continent this might be the case. 

How is this in the UK?

And, in order for anyone -the Court, her parents or anyone else- to be able to represent her when asking for money as the McCs are doing now, would it not be required for these plaintiffs to prove she is still alive?

Is there a UK lawyer  who could explain this?
You can apply for a missing person to be declared dead, and a form of inquest is held. Normally you have to wait for 7 years, but there are circumstances when the period can be shortened.

I think it was shortened in the case of 'canoe man', the bloke who disappeared whilst out canoeing on the north-east coast of England. His canoe turned up on the shore, but not him, so he was presumed drowned, and an inquest so held.

It was all an elabroate ruse to get some insurance money - their wife claimed it - and after they got it, they both decanted to a nice 3-bed pad in Panama. Their ruse was discovered, and IIRC their children disowned them when the truth was brought to light - a solemn warning to anyone thinking of fooling their children as well as everybody else.

Under English law, again IIRC, this 'missing person's inquest' can only take place if the person went missing on English soil or in English territorial waters.

TNX TB; Portia!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl 28.09.13 0:30

ShuBob wrote:Thanks Sallypelt for the BBC article thumbsup 

titter 
Yes, it's intriguing. Who were the two witnesses ID wanted to call and why have they turned down her request?

She knew, of course, that GM could not be allowed to give evidence straight away. That's probably why GM didn't even step into the courtroom today and spent all his time talking to the reporters outside instead. He must have showed up just for the press, unless he had other business to attend to.

Activity : 858

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 28.09.13 0:32

JackieL wrote:
ShuBob wrote:
ultimaThule wrote:

Do you think it's Pinto who's crying off?
Isabel Duarte has implied that Gerry's late application is in part due to 2 witnesses for the Plaintiffs having cold feet submitted their intention not to appear.
The 4 remaining witnesses to be called for the Plaintiffs are Henrique Machado, Trish Cameron, Eduardo Demaso and Marinho Pinto.  

As Machado and Cameron were present in Court today it seems likely Demaso and Pinto are the no shows - albeit Pinto is not scheduled to make an appearance until 18th November, by which time the defence is expected to have concluded its case.

If there are now 2 vacancies, so to speak, on the guest witness list perhaps we can hope that Ms Duarte will make a further late application for Kate to fill the remaining place? nah
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.09.13 0:32

ultimaThule wrote:

Publicity?

As in: when I'm a public man, nobody will dare touch me. 
As in: when I'm a public man, nobody will brave the media;
and the media will not about-face as doing this will expose them to some claims from some foreign injured parties?

(Sighs) (Wriggles) Oh, but we would so hate to be found out, what with our rotten Ltd so-called-fund
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.09.13 0:35

ultimaThule wrote:

it really beggars belief
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 28.09.13 1:19

Portia wrote:
ultimaThule wrote:

Publicity?

As in: when I'm a public man, nobody will dare touch me. 
As in: when I'm a public man, nobody will brave the media;
and the media will not about-face as doing this will expose them to some claims from some foreign injured parties?

(Sighs) (Wriggles) Oh, but we would so hate to be found out, what with our rotten Ltd so-called-fund.
Today's little melodrama was merely more gesture politics on the part of Gerry/TM but, judging from his performance outside the Court building, the grand showman didn't look to be anywhere near as cocksure confident as he's been in previous performances.  Indeed, when he was not looking at his lawyer, he spent a considerable amount of time looking at the pavement.

With regard to demonstrating how publication of Dr Amaral's book and the subsequent TV documentary based on its contents 'hindered' the search for Madeleine it seems to me that, should Gerry takes the stand, the most effective method will be to exhibit a graph showing the true amount of money received through donations by the limited company TM set up within days of the child's disappearance in May 2007 through to the present day. 

I suspect any such graph of the company's accounts will show a severe drop in takings donations from the general public after Madeleine's parents were made arguidos in September 2007, that publication of Dr Amaral's book in July 2008 and the subsequent documentary broadcast the following year had no discernible effect on the company's profitability, and that the nosedive continued until publication of her mother's bewk at which time takings were boosted by way of receipt of her advance royalties before heading for the floor again.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 28.09.13 3:04

Châtelaine wrote:When I am cynical again: GM knew [knew] that he couldn't be heard today as a witness. Now the case has been adjourned till next Wednesday. Which will be a good 5 days since his request so he can/has to be heard. Bingo!
IMO, of course, IMO.

Chinese saying: Be careful what you wish for ...
That begs the question why the premature appearance?
Publicity stunt or passing through the motion without intending to take the stand?
Wait and see whether he returns.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 28.09.13 6:00

candyfloss wrote:Notice 'some' on twitter having a go at Mr Amarals lawyer, about his professionalism and people having flown in etc. etc.  Moan, moan, yet not a peep out of them when the Judge failed to turn up for an afternoon session a couple of weeks ago.  People had flown in then too to give evidence, but anything to bash Mr Amaral and his lawyer as usual.
It was their choice to bring a suit in Portugal. This is the risk you take. But maybe these narcissists can't imagine that somewhere the world things are not done according to the McCann wishes. Must be hard for them.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi 28.09.13 6:52

Gerry has lost a lot of weight and imo the reason is the Yard's investigation, not Amaral. Maybe Kate and Gerry are separated indeed and  they can experience now what they did to Amaral.
It seems that a couple of Tapas 7 separated too, longer ago.
The cause could have been the case, imo: tension in their relationship.
If Fiona Payne is the best of the second best Kate's friend, why is she not stating at the hearing?
She does not live far away from Rothley, she must have seen Kate's problems caused by Amaral...
Or is she terrified by the Yard? I bet she is.

And the McCanns' GP, why is he not stating in favor of the couple?
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 28.09.13 8:07

marconi wrote:Gerry has lost a lot of weight and imo the reason is the Yard's investigation, not Amaral. Maybe Kate and Gerry are separated indeed and  they can experience now what they did to Amaral.
It seems that a couple of Tapas 7 separated too, longer ago.
The cause could have been the case, imo: tension in their relationship.
If Fiona Payne is the best of the second best Kate's friend, why is she not stating at the hearing?
She does not live far away from Rothley, she must have seen Kate's problems caused by Amaral...
Or is she terrified by the Yard? I bet she is.

And the McCanns' GP, why is he not stating in favor of the couple?
there could be a number of reasons for the weight loss, but as he has been in training for months for a triathlon and also was out running last weekend, I think that could be the main reason he has lost the weight.

plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 28.09.13 8:18

Humanist wrote:Does anyone think that there might be another reason for Gerry to be in Portugal.
Maybe it is not about having a fucking good time.
Perhaps they had the grace to give him the opportunity for further questioning
and a guise of attending a court case.

The witnesses all stink.
A bit like Clarence Mitchell being the best thing to make them look guilty
Isabel Duarte is just sealing it up.
Who is she actually working for?
She should be disbarred -

I still maintain that I want every single person who has lied and obfuscated this case
in any significant way to also be arrested.
We do not stop here.

There are powers behind the scene protecting themselves.
How do we know that they asked that the court be open - how do we know that Isabel Duarte
did not request it on anothers suggestion and they just had to go along with it.
Maybe the witnesses were sourced by sources who knew they would be so incredible that they
would sign seal and deliver Kate and Gerry as the sole guiltors in the mystery of Madeleine McCann for so many years.

Am I the only one who sees the final curtain.
Wouldn't be surprised if he was there for another reason.

Thursday, Pinky tweeted about street dogs in Portugal
Then an announcement shortly afterwards that Mr. would be in Portugal, having requested (one day earlier it transpires) that he give evidence

IIRC Mrs. said she had been bitten (not too badly) be a roaming dog in Portugal.

Coded messages maybe? who knows but it doesn't hurt to keep the old brain ticking over. lol.

plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi 28.09.13 8:31

Châtelaine wrote:When I am cynical again: GM knew [knew] that he couldn't be heard today as a witness. Now the case has been adjourned till next Wednesday. Which will be a good 5 days since his request so he can/has to be heard. Bingo!
IMO, of course, IMO.

Is this true ? Am I reading this right......Gerry applied to be a witness and arrived at the court knowing full well he would not be allowed to give evidence ?

But now the court proceedings were postponed due to illness, Mr Amaral and his defense team are here given enough time for them to prepare for this witness and can now allow Mr Mac to be called into the witness box

My word if this is true Gerry has just scored a massive home goal !!!

Perhaps they realized this when he was being interviewed outside of the court ! No wonder he looked sheepish and was looking at the floor ?
jozi
jozi

Activity : 733

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 28.09.13 9:43

jozi wrote:
IMO, of course, IMO.
Is this true ? Am I reading this right......Gerry applied to be a witness and arrived at the court knowing full well he would not be allowed to give evidence ?
But now the court proceedings were postponed due to illness, Mr Amaral and his defense team are here given enough time for them to prepare for this witness and can now allow Mr Mac to be called into the witness box

Perhaps they realized this when he was being interviewed outside of the court ! No wonder he looked sheepish and was looking at the floor ?
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

That really would be wonderful.
Particularly if, as I hope, GA's and the other's lawyers allow it, indeed insist on it.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16587

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors 28.09.13 9:48

PeterMac wrote:
jozi wrote:
IMO, of course, IMO.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Particularly if, as I hope, GA's and the other's lawyers allow it, indeed insist on it.
Might be the closest he gets to a proper court cross examination.

I would also like to see the look on his face if the defence refused him on the basis he has nothing interesting or useful to say.

Activity : 2685

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane 28.09.13 9:49

That's the shakiest and greenest around the gills I've seen Mr Gerry McCann since he was made an arguido.  I think their McChickens are finally come home to roost.  shark
pennylane

Activity : 4406

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 28.09.13 10:19

plebgate wrote:
Humanist wrote:Does anyone think that there might be another reason for Gerry to be in Portugal.
Maybe it is not about having a fucking good time.
Perhaps they had the grace to give him the opportunity for further questioning
and a guise of attending a court case.

The witnesses all stink.
A bit like Clarence Mitchell being the best thing to make them look guilty
Isabel Duarte is just sealing it up.
Who is she actually working for?
She should be disbarred -

I still maintain that I want every single person who has lied and obfuscated this case
in any significant way to also be arrested.
We do not stop here.

There are powers behind the scene protecting themselves.
How do we know that they asked that the court be open - how do we know that Isabel Duarte
did not request it on anothers suggestion and they just had to go along with it.
Maybe the witnesses were sourced by sources who knew they would be so incredible that they
would sign seal and deliver Kate and Gerry as the sole guiltors in the mystery of Madeleine McCann for so many years.

Am I the only one who sees the final curtain.
Wouldn't be surprised if he was there for another reason.

Thursday, Pinky tweeted about street dogs in Portugal
Then an announcement shortly afterwards that Mr. would be in Portugal, having requested (one day earlier it transpires) that he give evidence

IIRC Mrs. said she had been bitten (not too badly) be a roaming dog in Portugal.

Coded messages maybe?   who knows but it doesn't hurt to keep the old brain ticking over.  lol.

Coded messages, plebgate, I initially agreed and it may still be true, but am not too sure now.
Ponky could just as well have asked GCHQ to intercept a messaging route and send a coded message direct, or even gone into GCHQ himself, with his own personalised strawberry pink swipe card and intercepted the message re-routing system himself.
I googled ONCA in Brighton and the film was about raising funds to 'neuter' street dogs, improve animal sactuaries etc.
Much as I think the Pink One is one of the biggest t*ts on this planet, I do think the people of Brighton do seem to be having fun.
https://www.facebook.com/Downtothebone2013
I like the sense of humour behind the 'Bone Henge' of donated tins of dog-food. big grin lol4 
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by windchime 28.09.13 11:28

Newintown wrote:
ShuBob wrote:Did anyone notice how Gerry kept looking towards Isabel Duarte during questioning from reporters outside court perhaps hoping she'll step in and answer the questions? Unfortunately for him, Madam Duarte wasn't having any of it and just smiled as his discomfort increased laughat 
Yes, I did notice that, I thought I was the only one.  He kept looking at her and she was ignoring him.

Oh dear.  smilie

ETA: ID was probably thinking "I told you you should have been on the witness stand from the beginning, but you wouldn't listen to me, it's too bl**dy late now, the damage has been done with your useless witnesses".  laughat
Yes I noticed it too and was shocked at how she seemed to almost be laughing in his face, unless of course that is a permanent smirk she has.

Did anyone find a video of the interview that didn't strangely stop half way through?  I would love to know what else he had to say and why we couldn't see it?
windchime
windchime

Activity : 140

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 28.09.13 11:35

PeterMac wrote:
jozi wrote:
IMO, of course, IMO.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

His application was submitted on Tuesday, by next Wednesday it would be just over a week, not quite 10 days to render it valid.  Unless he replaces one of the two missing witnesses as ID said,  then 5 days notice is sufficient, then he is screwed.

If he comes up with an excuse not to go, then it's proof he was only bluffing...........
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by GRACEFUL1 28.09.13 11:38

windchime wrote:
Newintown wrote:
ShuBob wrote:Did anyone notice how Gerry kept looking towards Isabel Duarte during questioning from reporters outside court perhaps hoping she'll step in and answer the questions? Unfortunately for him, Madam Duarte wasn't having any of it and just smiled as his discomfort increased laughat 
Yes, I did notice that, I thought I was the only one.  He kept looking at her and she was ignoring him.

Oh dear.  smilie

ETA: ID was probably thinking "I told you you should have been on the witness stand from the beginning, but you wouldn't listen to me, it's too bl**dy late now, the damage has been done with your useless witnesses".  laughat
Yes I noticed it too and was shocked at how she seemed to almost be laughing in his face, unless of course that is a permanent smirk she has.

Did anyone find a video of the interview that didn't strangely stop half way through?  I would love to know what else he had to say and why we couldn't see it?
It's on Joana's site: Link: http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/09/gerry-mccann-wants-to-speak-in-court.html
GRACEFUL1
GRACEFUL1

Activity : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 28.09.13 11:42

windchime wrote:
Newintown wrote:

Oh dear.  smilie

Between Lawyer and client, usually the lawyer looks like cat and the client the mouse.
This pair - Gerry is the arrogant mighty cat and ID the timid mouse.....as if about to be crashed....
She looks intimidated by the client.........

Gerry is the mighty Giant and ID the faint hearted mouse....
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Slave 28.09.13 11:44

Well that was weird. Ms. Duarte doesn't seem to want Gerry to say ANYTHING to the judge. VERY BIZARRE.
The Slave
The Slave

Activity : 129

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top