The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Dave Edgar Appears To Suggest The McCanns Fraudulently Solicited Money For Their Fund

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dave Edgar Appears To Suggest The McCanns Fraudulently Solicited Money For Their Fund

Post by ShuBob on 17.09.13 19:07

Thanks to Anne Guedes for the transcript of Dave Edgar's testimony smilie 

Libel Trial > McCann v Gonçalo Amaral - Day 1, Witness No 3

The testimony as it happened...

(12.09.2013, David Edgar (Former RUC detective) hired by the McCanns as a private investigator from October 2008 to October 2011. Has only a professional relationship with the McCanns.

1) McCann family lawyer, Isabel Duarte, is the first to question the witness

ID - After explaining the purpose of the trial, she asks what DE's function was.
DE - answers he tried to discover where Madeleine was.

ID - Have you previously worked with Portuguese people in the exercise of your functions?
DE - says he did.

ID - Do you know the legal process in Portugal?
DE - just knows the investigation was closed. He had contacts with Portuguese lawyers.

ID - Did the Polícia Judiciária (PJ) go on investigating after the case was filed?
DE - says yes.

ID - Between 2008 and 2011, was much information relating to the case received by the PJ?
DE - says yes, but not much information originated from Portugal. He thinks that Madeleine can be in Portugal and therefore the Portuguese information is important. But adds that the Portuguese public believed Madeleine was dead.

ID - You interviewed people. Did you feel the impact of that belief or not?
DE - says it is difficult to say in terms of volume of information and of facts. He thinks there was less information being received by the time he got involved in October 2008.

ID - Did the interest of the public increase or decrease after the publication of the (Amaral) book?
DE - says it's difficult to say. He says there was a lot of information when he started to work on this case.

2) Defence lawyers

a) TVI lawyers' questions

TVI - The curiosity of the public in a case of a disappearance without a trace is normal. Does the anonymous and spontaneous information decrease with time?
DE - says it depends on the investigators, each case is different. There's a decrease.

TVI - Does the interest of the newspapers and the public also diminishes?
DE - doesn't know.

b) Guerra & Paz's lawyer's questions

GP - Did you have access to the criminal process?
DE - answers that he read parts of the files in the translation that the McCanns asked to be done.

GP - How did you manage to conduct an investigation without analysing all the process? Whom did you contact in Portugal?
DE - says he contacted an informant who passed information to both the UK and Portuguese authorities. He doesn't want to say to whom he spoke, but says he spoke to someone from the PJ.

GP - Do you know that the McCanns initiated a private investigation?
DE - knows.

GP - Was there private investigators before you?
DE - says yes but adds he was the first professional one.

Neither the Valentim de Carvalho lawyer nor Gonçalo Amaral lawyer had questions.
Now, we all remember the McCanns' oft repeated claims that no one was looking for Maddie and that they therefore needed money to continue with their "search". If Edgar is now saying under oath he personally is aware that the PJ continued investigating, he is by implication saying the McCanns fraudulently solicited the public for money. Unless he's saying he knew about the PJ's efforts but didn't tell his employers. Another big boo boo is that he's publicly rubbished all the other PIs including Metodo 3 whom the McCanns allegedly paid a fortune over a long period even after questions where being asked about their efforts.

With such devastating revelations coming from Edgar, no wonder Brunty stopped reporting rather abruptly. If the Serious Fraud Office haven't started investigating the fund, I don't know what they're waiting for!

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dave Edgar Appears To Suggest The McCanns Fraudulently Solicited Money For Their Fund

Post by Dr What on 17.09.13 20:05

All this information might also come as an eye-opener to all those members of the public who donated monies to the McCanns, believing that their contributions were the only way that an 'investigation' would be able to continue.

Perhaps they should all write in to demand their monies back due to the falsehood.

Dr What

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dave Edgar Appears To Suggest The McCanns Fraudulently Solicited Money For Their Fund

Post by Casey5 on 17.09.13 20:24

The PJ did investigate any information that came to them after the investigation was shelved- they would have to just in case there was good reason to request the Portuguese Judiciary to reopen the case.

That's maybe what Dave Edgar meant when he said that the case was still being investigated after shelving.

Casey5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 17.09.13 21:58

@Casey5 wrote:The PJ did investigate any information that came to them after the investigation was shelved- they would have to just in case there was good reason to request the Portuguese Judiciary to reopen the case.
That's maybe what Dave Edgar meant when he said that the case was still being investigated after shelving.
But that means the PJ had the case "active", in some sense of the word.
Which means that the TM insistence that no one was doing anything was a lie / misunderstanding / deliberate falsehood /  append as necessary / Clarrie-fication /
And therefore the Fund is and always was - fraudulent.

Edgar is a star.
All hail Edgar.  One of my old DIs was like him.
Solid.  Methodical. Honest.  Beyond reproach.  
But lacked the understanding of the world which might have got him promoted.
And not quick witted enough to allow you to "follow him into the box"

(That was the true test of a colleague.   Are you happy to "follow him into the witness box " ?}

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 17.09.13 23:29

I wonder why neither the judge or the lawyers asked what permissions he had to do that investigation.

I know, it's of topic, but one wonders how someone can testify in court over a possible illegal activity?

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 17.09.13 23:54

@Dr What wrote:All this information might also come as an eye-opener to all those members of the public who donated monies to the McCanns, believing that their contributions were the only way that an 'investigation' would be able to continue.

Perhaps they should all write in to demand their monies back due to the falsehood.
Which is why I suspect reporting of the trial in the British press has been somewhat muted. It goes against what the same press have been helping the McCanns promote.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Harriet94 on 18.09.13 0:02

I beleive Leicester Police also carried on incurring expenses after the case was closed/shelved. I wonder what that was on?

Harriet94

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 18.09.13 0:15

@ShuBob wrote:
@Dr What wrote:All this information might also come as an eye-opener to all those members of the public who donated monies to the McCanns, believing that their contributions were the only way that an 'investigation' would be able to continue.

Which is why I suspect reporting of the trial in the British press has been somewhat muted. It goes against what the same press have been helping the McCanns promote.
Well, that's a bit of an understatement smilie

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 18.09.13 0:15

@PeterMac wrote:
@Casey5 wrote:The PJ did investigate any information that came to them after the investigation was shelved- they would have to just in case there was good reason to request the Portuguese Judiciary to reopen the case.
But that means the PJ had the case "active", in some sense of the word.
Which means that the TM insistence that no one was doing anything was a lie / misunderstanding / deliberate falsehood /  append as necessary / Clarrie-fication /
And therefore the Fund is and always was - fraudulent.

Edgar is a star.
All hail Edgar.  One of my old DIs was like him.
Solid.  Methodical. Honest.  Beyond reproach.  
But lacked the understanding of the world which might have got him promoted.
And not quick witted enough to allow you to "follow him into the box"

(That was the true test of a colleague.   Are you happy to "follow him into the witness box " ?}
Precisely, PM!

The McCanns qualify their criticism by saying no force is "proactively" looking for Maddie. What exactly do they mean by this? What has Edgar and the unprofessional PIs before him done that has yielded results better than the PJ's in the same period? What exactly has he achieved that has moved the case forward?

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 18.09.13 0:16

@listener wrote:
@ShuBob wrote:

Well, that's a bit of an understatement smilie
I was being a bit generous blushing1 

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 18.09.13 0:43

ShuBob wwrote:

"Which is why I suspect reporting of the trial in the British press has been somewhat muted. It goes against what the same press have been helping the McCanns promote."

And inch by tiny inch, as it falls apart, the waters start lapping at the door of No 10 Downing Street and the steps of the Home Office.

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 2:18

@lj wrote:I wonder why neither the judge or the lawyers asked what permissions he had to do that investigation.

I know, it's of topic, but one wonders how someone can testify in court over a possible illegal activity?
His appointment is an issue that has to be examined in another trial, not this one.
Its illegal only if there's an official investigation at parallel time. He was hired post shelving.
What may be illegal is his questionable claim of having passed information to his "Source inside PJ".
If proven he'd lied then he's committed perjury.

Question is : was he lying?
Or he did pass info to someone in the PJ, who did not refuse it out of curiosity to see what Mccanns jokey PI were up to.
Could it be Edgar the not too bright star assumed too much?
If not-too-bright ace ex copper Dave cannot discern and deduce from the files that Maddie is believed dead, and all evidence points to it, then it's not surprising he would assume anything other than facts in the files.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 18.09.13 2:44

@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:I wonder why neither the judge or the lawyers asked what permissions he had to do that investigation.

His appointment is an issue that has to be examined in another trial, not this one.
Its illegal only if there's an official investigation at parallel time.  He was hired post shelving.
What may be illegal is his questionable claim of having passed information to his "Source inside PJ".

Or he did pass info to someone in the PJ, who did not refuse it out of curiosity to see what Mccanns jokey PI were up to.
Could it be  Edgar the not too bright star assumed too much?
If not-too-bright ace ex copper Dave cannot discern and deduce from the files that Maddie is believed dead, and all evidence points to it,  then it's not surprising he would assume anything other than facts in the files.

I know it's now one big cozy Europe, but doesn't he need something as a work permit or license to do investigations in Portugal?

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 18.09.13 2:48

Thanks to Anne Guedes for the transcript of Dave Edgar's testimony  

(12.09.2013, David Edgar (Former RUC detective) hired by the McCanns as a private investigator from October 2008 to October 2011. Has only a professional relationship with the McCanns.

ID - After explaining the purpose of the trial, she asks what DE's function was.

DE - answers that he read parts of the files in the translation that the McCanns asked to be done.
GP - How did you manage to conduct an investigation without analysing all the process? 

My comment -

I have seen one or two comments questioning why DE hasn't picked up on the inconsistencies in the Tapas group statements. I don't think DE has even read all the files, just the ones the McCanns have given to him. It seems clear from what he has said in Lisbon that he has only ever investigated this as though it were an abduction, which is of course what he was paid to do, without considering alternatives. 

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 3:11

Likely Police took no action with his info, accepting it for purpose of being objective for just in case.
The only active aspect where this shelved case is concerned may be the accepting of incoming info, Edgar or from anyone for that matter,  but no action intended  unless the info justifies it.

Now, the BURNING question might be what info will justify the reopening in order to act on info.  
I imagine it would have to be;
someone chancing upon a badly decomposed corpse, which is unlikely to happen, given the manner of Mccanns' confidence.
A person walking dogs, and dogs alert to a shallow grave - only possible in case of shallow burial, but this case in question NUH....
A person living with Madeleine coming forward, or family member of abductor coming forward - that's like  wishing for UFO to land on No. 10

Sadly, IMV, this case HAS TO BE taken to Court by THE YARD, or it wont ever happen.  If only to put all available evidence in front of Judge and Jury and let these wise people rule on it.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 3:21

@ShuBob wrote:

Mute might be good for future trial purpose.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 3:22

@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

Its illegal only if there's an official investigation at parallel time.  He was hired post shelving.

If not-too-bright ace ex copper Dave cannot discern and deduce from the files that Maddie is believed dead, and all evidence points to it,  then it's not surprising he would assume anything other than facts in the files.

I know it's now one big cozy Europe, but doesn't he need something as a work permit or license to do investigations in Portugal?
Did he say he was operating from Portugal?

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 18.09.13 5:31

@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

He did not as far as we can read in the transcript. But: he said he worked with the Portuguese people, Portuguese lawyers and the PJ. He also said he interviewed people. Somehow I think these people did not get a first class trip and 5 star hotel (which seem the Tapas standard) in the UK. Also in earlier interviews he said he had been staying in Praia de Luz, I guess that was not for a tan

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 7:31

@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

He did not as far as we can read in the transcript. But: he said he worked with the Portuguese people, Portuguese lawyers and the PJ. He also said he interviewed people. Somehow I think these people did not get a first class trip and 5 star hotel (which seem the Tapas standard) in the UK. Also in earlier interviews he said he had been staying in Praia de Luz, I guess that was not for a tan
In that case he doesn't need a licence from Portugal. Working with portuguese people is within his function if he already has a UK licence to do the job.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 18.09.13 8:10

So disguising himself and his mate as fruit pickers and staking out the house of a cleaner, having found 'evidence' in the form of a doll on the backseat of the car of a school teacher, comes under what?
This event was used by TM to accuse the PJ of ignoring information on possible suspects.
Allegedly, the fruit pickers passed the information on to the PJ. Who did enquire further - it's in the files. The cleaning lady was very upset and the doll was a present to be passed on to a related child.

I would so have loved to see Edgar and Cowley in their disguises as swarthy itinerant labourers! How did they manage to stay under the radar in the lawless hinterland - by staying in a 'hellish lair'? winkwink 

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18.09.13 8:17

@tigger wrote:I would so have loved to see Edgar and Cowley in their disguises as swarthy itinerant labourers!  How did they manage to stay under the radar in the lawless hinterland - by staying in a 'hellish lair'?  winkwink 
Or in a bat cave?

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 18.09.13 9:10

@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

In that case he doesn't need a licence from Portugal.  Working with portuguese people is within his function if he already has a UK licence to do the job.
Are you sure about that? I know one has the right to work anywhere in the European community, but I suspect every country has it's own requirement for specific jobs. As an example in the US a PI from let's say Tx wil need a license from the state Nevada to work there as a PI.

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 18.09.13 9:23

@lj wrote:
[/quote]
You can testify in Court about your own involvement in illegal activity. Carter-Ruck did so, with the odious creature who had obtained TB's book by Fraud.
He admitted in Court that he lied to obtain it. Carter-Ruck knew that it had been so obtained, continued to run that part of the case, and are thus party to the crime.

TB can of course make an official complaint of Crime any time he chooses to !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 18.09.13 10:51

@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@lj wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

In that case he doesn't need a licence from Portugal.  Working with portuguese people is within his function if he already has a UK licence to do the job.
Are you sure about that? I know one has the right to work anywhere in the European community, but I suspect every country has it's own requirement for specific jobs. As an example in the US a PI from let's say Tx wil need a license from the state Nevada to work there as a PI.
No I am not sure.
But one would have thought it's common sense that if he's company is not based there, he does not need a licence.
So long as he's not interviewing witnesses during an alive investigation, not tampering/interfering with witnesses that can compromise a police investigation.
IF he was just, say, turning himself into a coolie to follow people around, and generally spying on them, one would have that in his line work if it is necessary to tail a subject in another country that should be OK.

Note that he says he passed info to the Police, which could mean he can gather info, but cant interact with the suspect without first acquiring approval from the relevant authority of that country.

I stand correctly but I dont see how anyone can be stopped from stalking people (which is what PI do) as long as they are discreet and not being a nuisance to the person they stalked.
Or they can generally chat to strangers to obtain info, and so long as the info is not acted against a subject of a foreign country without involving police, then I dont see how anyone is going to going to be able stop strangers talking to one another.

In the example you listed above you might be talking about PI using the region as base of work, then that being the case, certain requirements of the region have to be met in order to operate from there.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 18.09.13 13:14

@suzyjohnson wrote:Thanks to Anne Guedes for the transcript of Dave Edgar's testimony  

GP - How did you manage to conduct an investigation without analysing all the process? 
My comment -

I have seen one or two comments questioning why DE hasn't picked up on the inconsistencies in the Tapas group statements. I don't think DE has even read all the files, just the ones the McCanns have given to him. It seems clear from what he has said in Lisbon that he has only ever investigated this as though it were an abduction, which is of course what he was paid to do, without considering alternatives.
He just confirms his absolute incompetence as an investigator if he's only willing to look at the case from the angle of those paying him excluding all other theories. And he says he's been the only professional PI.

Heaven help Maddie. Poor child. Failed so miserably by those who should have had her best interests at heart.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum