The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Esther McVey set to win senior role in Cameron's cabinet reshuffle

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Esther McVey set to win senior role in Cameron's cabinet reshuffle

Post by aquila on 27.08.13 22:39

Former GMTV presenter is set to win senior role in David Cameron’s Cabinet reshuffle 'because she is northern'

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Esther McVey set to win senior role in Cameron's cabinet reshuffle

Post by tigger on 28.08.13 7:21

I'd like to know why this good friend of the McCanns left the board of directors of the Fund in January 08, soon after the first accounts were filed?

Or was it the film, the bidding war between Oprah and another US chat show that she found distasteful?
It's always struck me that negotiating such deals when you're at the same time insisting your daughter is alive, is a little bad 

But it must be hard to let those lovely millions slip through your fingers. Those days are gone too and I do so like pointing it out...

McVey meanwhile doesn't appear to have allied herself with anymore of the McCann enterprises. Wise woman. I hope it stays that way.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 28.08.13 8:33

Could have been for reasons of integrity that EMcV distanced herself, could have been out of self-interest and what would be a wise move for her career-wise.
 I hope that it was the former.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 28.08.13 10:21

She is to win a senior role because "she is northern".

Ludicrous.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.08.13 11:54

Tigger: re your post at 7.21, just to clarify that the accounts for the first year were filed by the deadline at the end of December 2008.

It is odd why Esther McVey resigned so quickly; even if she was busy with her other commitments, she could surely have found the little time that was needed to remain as a director, particularly as she was a friend of Kate's.

One can only wonder whether she became aware of something wrong with the Fund?

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 28.08.13 13:20

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:Tigger: re your post at 7.21, just to clarify that the accounts for the first year were filed by the deadline at the end of December 2008.

It is odd why Esther McVey resigned so quickly; even if she was busy with her other commitments, she could surely have found the little time that was needed to remain as a director, particularly as she was a friend of Kate's.

One can only wonder whether she became aware of something wrong with the Fund?
Thanks -as I carelessly typed it I had a nagging feeling it was too early for accounts. I expect Vey had her reasons to leave which speaks well for her. When did Hagland leave?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.08.13 19:53

March 2008 per the topics about him on the site.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 28.08.13 20:57

E McV was on the board when it was decided that the Fund would not be used to pay the McCann's legal fees should they be necessary when they were made arguido. That was a sound decision. IIRC Esther made that announcement. I can't find the link.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.08.13 21:14

@aquila wrote:E McV was on the board when it was decided that the Fund would not be used to pay the McCann's legal fees should they be necessary when they were made arguido. That was a sound decision. IIRC Esther made that announcement. I can't find the link.

Is this the one

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id113.html

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 28.08.13 21:19

candyfloss wrote:
@aquila wrote:E McV was on the board when it was decided that the Fund would not be used to pay the McCann's legal fees should they be necessary when they were made arguido. That was a sound decision. IIRC Esther made that announcement. I can't find the link.

Is this the one

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id113.html
Thanks candyfloss, yes that's the link. A very interesting announcement re separate funding for defence costs. I wonder if that separate fund was ever set up?

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by susible on 29.08.13 6:41

This part of the above video speaks volumes about what E McV really thinks imo

"Finally, I want to say, from all of us, at the heart of this campaign and fund, is a little girl, a little girl who was no doubt confused, lonely and in desperate need of her parents"

I wonder what she was really thinking when she said that and if, at the very least, she was shocked that Kate and Gerry left Madeleine (and the twins) on their own every night.

susible

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Esther McVey and associates

Post by haroldd on 07.11.13 11:52

Like Edward Smethurst and Brian Kennedy, Esther McVey, long-time friend of KM and former director of the Madeleine Fund, is connected with property development interests in the northwest of England.

In her case, the connections are with McVey Brothers Demolition, the family firm of which she used to be a director.

She is now the Employment Minister.

McVey says that her "inspiration" is "William Hesketh Lever", whom she gushingly describes as "the Merseyside soap baron who became one of the greatest philanthropists". She further explains, "His was truly compassionate Conservatism."

William Lever founded Lever Brothers, which merged with Margarine Unie to become the multinational Unilever.

Well, let me tell you something.

By coincidence, I've just been reading a book about that fellow, who also went under the name "Lord Leverhulme". He ran a private slave-based kingdom in the Congo, under the wing of King Leopold II of the Belgians, in which the brutal system of forced labour reduced the population of Congo by half and killed literally millions of people. That's where the palm oil came from, for the soap. The book's written by a former Belgian diplomat, and is well worth reading.

William Lever, funnily enough, had a background in a family firm before he went into politics. From that springboard, he built his soap 'empire' and then became a Liberal MP and lord. At Westminster, he espoused the cause of the expansion of a rather more famous empire, the British one. (Not that the Belgian one hadn't served him all right too.) That's Liberal, I should stress, not Tory, despite Esther's later reference to "compassionate Conservatism". But never mind - maybe it's his business achievements rather than his Westminster speechmaking that she admires most?

In the page at the above link, the Daily Mail strongly hint that Esther McVey was one of several Tory parliamentary candidates who benefited from "the so-called Target Seats And Marginal Seats Fighting Fund". They helpfully explain that that's "the official name for multi-millionaire Tory peer Michael Ashcroft's millions."

Ashcroft is such a big businessman that he too is described as a "philanthropist". Billionaire, and citizen of squeaky-clean Belize (where he sold passports - lawfully - for £33000 each) as well as the UK, he was once Deputy Chairman of the Tory Party - a party to which he was also a big donor. As well as flogging Belizean passports, his business interests have included a cleaning services supplier, a big stake in Watford football club, and a car auction company. He has also been named in the House of Commons as being involved with businesses which were the subject of inquiries by the US Drug Enforcement Agency into drug smuggling and money-laundering.

McVey has risen fast in politics. She is now the Minister for Employment at the Department for Work and Pensions.

That job normally comes with a health and safety role. But given her family firm's terrible record in health and safety (I suppose, to be fair, we can note that not as many people have suffered as did under her hero Lord Leverhulme), she has been banned from having any responsibilities in that area. That was after the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health wrote to David Cameron to tell them about her

"Professor Rory O’Neill of the occupational and environmental health research group at the University of Stirling said the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may have changed (its) mind after EHN brought Ms McVey’s record to its attention. ‘After the reshuffle DWP discussed the roles division, handed Ms McVey the safety portfolio and subsequently updated its website to that effect. If EHN’s probing questions about her tarnished safety record as a company director have brought about a rethink, we can all breathe easier as a result,’ he said."

Esther McVey shares a flat in London with her fellow Tory MP Philip Davies, who is interested in horse-racing, a field of endeavour in which he is both an owner and a breeder. Before becoming an MP, he worked in the gambling sector. After becoming an MP, he was a member of the culture, media and sport select committee, in which he took part in a year-long inquiry into the betting "industry" that began in May 2011.

From the same source (the Guardian): "On 26 December 2012 the Guardian published a story by Randeep Ramesh stating that Davies had received £10,000 'in benefits from companies with links to the gambling industry during a contentious year-long inquiry into the betting trade" including a day at Cheltenham races "last March" worth £870, as guest of bookmaker Ladbrokes. The story went on to say that he did "not declare [the donations]', and said he argued that in one case he did not have to and in the other that the firm was not directly linked to bookmakers." He complained about the article, but was in the main unsuccessful and the Guardian stood by it, except on the very minor point that although he did fail to declare the benefits he'd received to the select committee, thereby breaching the parliamentary code of conduct, he nonetheless mentioned them on the register of interests. Of course one can legitimately ask why a member of a select committee inquiring into the gambling sector is receiving benefits from a big bookmaker in the first place.

But before anyone's jaw drops too far, can I just say "welcome to Westminster"! winkwink

What a lovely pair of honourable and selfless people-servers McVey and Davies sound! Keep on the same way, and they'll make it to philanthropist status as fast as a bookmaker can calculate odds for the Derby or a demolition firm directed by a graduate in corporate governance can put some dodgy scaffolding up. (That link goes to 'immediate prohibition notices' issued against JG McVey and Co. The 'graduate' dig alludes to McVey's MSc in corporate governance.)

As well as nuclear links, I am also coming up with numerous business links of a certain kind, involving people who are, or have been, close to the McCanns.

haroldd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swannie on 07.11.13 14:16

@plebgate wrote:She is to win a senior role because "she is northern".    

Ludicrous.
Eh by gum, how thoughtful. Still, more reasonable than appointing a child neglector as as an Ambassador for missing children........

Swannie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by haroldd on 07.11.13 14:32

@Swannie wrote:

Ludicrous.
Eh by gum, how thoughtful. Still, more reasonable than appointing a child neglector as as an Ambassador for missing children........
At least McVey was taken off of health and safety enforcement responsibilities, given her dodgy scaffolding links. Whereas Philip Edmonds's auntie in Islington...who was worse than a neglector...

Which isn't to say McVey isn't still on the way up.

haroldd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 07.11.13 16:23

Democracy in Britian - one vote every 5 years.  Candidates chosen because they (for the most part) will keep to the party line or little "secrets" will be told.

Party whip rarely fails.   

As a result, a bunch of numbskull Ministers who botch up one job only to be sidelined to another which they invariably botch up.

Result - chaos for the majority and riches and do as they like without fear of repercussion (again, for the most part) for the so-called elite.  

Nice work if you can get it, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole thank you very much.

Will things ever change, I doubt it very much.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.11.13 17:52

You have to be corrupt to be in politics, otherwise you wouldn't survive the climate. I've seen examples of sincere and capable men and women, willing to serve the people. They were stabbed in the back before you could say "bingo" ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Who?What?Where? on 09.11.13 2:19

What an excellent post haroldd. You have really got me thinking.

Would you happen to know if a long since dead multi millionaire, called joe sunlight, was related to the leverhulme empire? The leverhulme "philanthropy", that mcvey mention's built port sunlight, if i remember correctly.

Who?What?Where?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow on 09.11.13 13:41

@haroldd wrote:
@Swannie wrote:

Ludicrous.
At least McVey was taken off of health and safety enforcement responsibilities, given her dodgy scaffolding links. Whereas Philip Edmonds's auntie in Islington...who was worse than a neglector...

Which isn't to say McVey isn't still on the way up.
May 1990: At a key meeting chaired by Lyn Cusack, assistant director of social services, Cofie and Davies are told to cease interviewing children and to stop convening child protection conferences
1991: Roy Caterer, who worked at a school used by Islington council for its children in care, is arrested for sexually abusing seven boys and two girls, and is jailed for seven-and-a-half years. Cofie and Davies ask social services for resources to help the victims, but receive no reply
February 1992: Davies resigns and takes her information to Scotland Yard
6 October 1992: A Standard investigation reveals that a 15-year-old girl worked as a prostitute from a coun-cil home; a 16-year-old was made pregnant at a teenage unit by a man suspected of involvement in a child sex ring; a girl was knifed by a pimp at an Islington home; and a boy was abused for years by a volunteer instructor
14 October 1992: Hodge says of the Standard’s investigation: “The way they chose to report this was gutter journalism … The story misled the public on the quality of childcare services in the borough”
23 October 1992: Hodge steps down as council leader to take up a post as a senior consultant with ac-countancy firm Price Waterhouse
3 March 1993: The Press Complaints Commission rejects all Islington’s complaints against the Standard
11 February 1994: Hodge admits to the Standard: “You were right that there was abuse in the children’s homes,” and blames her initial response on “misleading” information from senior officers and colleagues
23 May 1995: Report by Ian White, Oxfordshire director of social services, backs the Standard and says care-home workers were able to corrupt children in part because Islington’s ideological policies prevented complaints being investigated. Hodge responds: “I have had no involvement with Islington council for three years. It would be inappropriate for me to comment”
26 May 1995: Hodge tells Radio 4: “Of course I accept responsibility. I was leader of the council at the time”
13 June 2003: Hodge becomes Minister for Children
27 June 2003: Hodge tells Women’s Hour on BBC Radio 4: “I don’t think that any of us recognised the danger of child abuse in children’s homes to the extent that we’re aware of it now. I’ve learned from my fail-ure to understand at that time”

Unreal.sad

notlongnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Who?What?Where? on 14.11.13 2:01

11 February 1994: Hodge admits to the Standard: “You were right that there was abuse in the children’s homes,” and blames her initial response on “misleading” information from senior officers and colleagues

What an obscene "get out of jail free" or  "get out" clause, would that be?

I think blair used something similar. The invasion of Iraq was, apparently, decided by a commitee. No personal responsibility, for him, then? How very convenient.

These people, clearly, want to accept no personal responsibility, for the consequence's of their action's, but they definitely want to keep collecting the money..

These individuals, are what people accept as leaders', these days?

There is something , seriously, wrong here.

Who?What?Where?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by haroldd on 28.11.13 15:01

@Who?What?Where? wrote:What an excellent post haroldd. You have really got me thinking.

Would you happen to know if a long since dead multi millionaire, called joe sunlight, was related to the leverhulme empire? The leverhulme "philanthropy", that mcvey mention's built port sunlight, if i remember correctly.
According to this book on Manchester Josif Schimschlavitch called himself "Joe Sunlight" after Port Sunlight, built for Lever Brothers and named after their soap brand, but other sources suggest that that's only speculation. Both Joe Sunlight and William Lever, 1st Lord Leverhulme, were in parliament for the Liberals. Joe Sunlight was closer in age to the 2nd Lord Leverhulme than the 1st, and like the 3rd was involved with horseracing. The 2nd Lord owned Chester racecourse and I think Joe Sunlight owned Sunlight Stables but haven't pinned that down. I don't know of a direct connection between Joe Sunlight and the Lever empire, but the idea is very tantalising. Joseph is said to have had an architectural 'vision for Manchester'. Would it have been a version of Port Sunlight writ much bigger? Lever had freemasonry play a big role in the social structure of Port Sunlight (until someone proves to me that William Morris expressed any positive views on Lever, I consider unnuanced mentions of Morris's name in connection with Port Sunlight to be a great insult to Morris), so the reasons for using the word "sunlight" for that village and as Joseph's adopted surname may be worth looking into.

haroldd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 28.11.13 16:11

@Swannie wrote:

Ludicrous.
Oi! Eee bah gum is a Yorkshire saying! Please don't associate E Mcvey with the good folk of Yorkshire (aka God's own country). She's not one of ours! big grin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 16.04.14 11:27

I don't know if this has been posted:

Wirral MP Esther McVey in social media storm after sending out party-political tweet during Hillsborough service

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-mp-esther-mcvey-social-6993933

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sofieellis on 16.04.14 12:15

This is currently trending on facebook. She has apologised:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/15/hillsborough-anniversary-esther-mcvey_n_5154834.html

Ms McVey has since apologised, tweeting: "Really regret the mistiming of local election press release. Apologies."

This shows how out of touch with her constituents she is.

sofieellis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 16.04.14 12:29

I had the misfortune to see McVey on the news this morning banging on about how 'we'  the Tories have delivered economic recovery and done what 'we' said we'd do and 'we're' the best of the G(add a number of your choice) countries in this arena.

Strange how she suddenly appeared today with this 'great news' (well it's not really strange - it's the expected tripe to cover a gaff).

Esther my dear, you're either a Liverpudlian or you're not. You can't have a Manolo Blahnik in two camps. Bad girl for ignoring Hillsborough.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 16.04.14 15:41

@sofieellis wrote:This is currently trending on facebook. She has apologised:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/15/hillsborough-anniversary-esther-mcvey_n_5154834.html

Ms McVey has since apologised, tweeting: "Really regret the mistiming of local election press release. Apologies."

This shows how out of touch with her constituents she is.
Let's hope her constituents are not impressed with her apology and boot her out next year.   I for one will be cheering very loudly if they do.

True colours eventually shine through imo.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum