The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Mm11

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Mm11

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Regist10

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined.

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty Re: ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined.

Post by jeanmonroe 15.08.13 13:07

So do we think that Alison Saunders has been put 'in place' to continue with a perceived cover up of a possible crime?

Has Alison Saunders ever said publicly that an 'abduction' beyond contestation, did happen in the case of the missing child Madeleine McCann?

I know the FO have never said that. They just say Madeleine is a missing person.
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty pleasure

Post by marconi 15.08.13 13:26

some people have a  necessity to nurtere negativisme,  feeling a great plesure on expressing it.
their hobby is paranoia which starts sounding very tiring.
even if the McCanns land behind bars, which will happen, they will not be content because they are not used to feel that way.
what will be the use for them, if the police solve this case, if they keep mistrusting everything?
marconi

Activity : 1104

Back to top Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty Re: ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined.

Post by plebgate 15.08.13 13:34

IMO being cautious about how the investigation will be handled is not paranoia, nor does it mean that people are always negative about everything in life.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.08.13 13:50

jeanmonroe wrote:So do we think that Alison Saunders has been put 'in place' to continue with a perceived cover up of a possible crime?

Has Alison Saunders ever said publicly that an 'abduction' beyond contestation, did happen in the case of the missing child Madeleine McCann?

I know the FO have never said that. They just say Madeleine is a missing person.
Couldn't possibly assume she's been but in place, and I've not read of her using the word abduction.

I've said that at the present time I've no faith in her.

However I do hope she proves me wrong.

marconi, it's always good when negatives are turned into positives by discussion.

plegate totaly agree
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi 15.08.13 14:03

Somehow, I would like to believe that a whitewash could not happen in this particular case .The police forces reputation is at a all time low just now , with all the stories that are being printed daily about coverups and bent coppers , they simply cannot do it, there are too many people that know and have read the Police [/b[b]]files. Portugal will never let it happen ( I honestly think this is why the files were released to the public). The general public are sick to death of hearing about the Mcs and nearly all suspect them of being involved in the disappearance of Maddie and that they are not telling the truth .So if they do try to whitewash it, they will never ever be believed and people will expose it for what it is at sometime......

jozi
jozi

Activity : 733

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.08.13 14:45

marconi wrote:Some people have a necessity to nurture negativism, feeling a great pleasure on expressing it. Their hobby is paranoia which starts sounding very tiring...
That's exactly what they said about the few who stood up to Hitler after he came to power in 1933. No doubt there were those who were 'negative' about Jimmy Savile when he was alive...

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 15.08.13 14:53

Tony Bennett wrote:
marconi wrote:Some people have a necessity to nurture negativism, feeling a great pleasure on expressing it. Their hobby is paranoia which starts sounding very tiring...
That's exactly what they said about the few who stood up to Hitler after he came to power in 1933.  No doubt there were those who were 'negative' about Jimmy Savile when he was alive...
Well, Margaret Thatcher, Clarence Mitchell's IDOL, certainly wasn't one of them, was she?
big grin big grin big grin 
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.08.13 17:07

Tony Bennett wrote:
That's exactly what they said about the few who stood up to Hitler after he came to power in 1933.  No doubt there were those who were 'negative' about Jimmy Savile when he was alive...
To all the pro-whitewashers,

I understand why you are so negative but to denigrate the police and CPS without definitive proof that this is a whitewash will damage this forum.

The pro-McCann stance is that there is no evidence so everyone should give up, go home and put your cash in an envelope to Kate & Gerry at Rothley.

By constantly asserting that the investigation is a whitewash and disparaging the police you are saying the same to forum members; give up & go home. You aren't simply expressing an opinion, you are pushing people away and wearing your allies down.

Maybe the investigation is a whitewash but, if it is proven to be we won't give up, we'll deal with it.

I've been a member of many forums that have been destroyed because one point of view has been allowed to snowball and destroy all other opinions. Please don't do that here - we're all on the same side.

Please read this post in the spirit it was intended.

Best wishes to everybody.

Poe roses
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by espeland 15.08.13 17:56

Very well said, Poe.

Tony, we'll all be behind you if/when it's proven to be a whitewash. In the meantime, your posts do appear to be paranoid.

espeland
espeland

Activity : 211

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.08.13 18:14

espeland wrote:Very well said, Poe.

Tony, we'll all be behind you if/when it's proven to be a whitewash. In the meantime, your posts do appear to be paranoid.
Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr Espeland!

I believe if you look at my opening post I cut-and-pasted three newpaper articles, one of which contained the information - which I dared to say was concerning - that Alison Saunders had refused in 1996 to reconsider the pleas of bereaved Hillsborough family members for the 'accidental death' verdicts on their family members to be reconsidered. She is explicitly named as the CPS lawyer who made that decision. (I also speculated on her role as a senior lawyer in the Attorney-General's office at a time when he gave hugely controversial advice to Tony Blair that to attack Iraq was legal - a decision since disputed by a great number of experts on international law).

It took another 16 years of committed campaigning by the bereaved and a special panel set up by an M.P. to expose the stream of lies by senior and junior police officers in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster - one of the major police corruption scandals in our time.

I may be alone in wondering how someone who is on record as having made such a misjudgment [Hillsborough] - probably through insufficiently thorough investigative work and a faliure to ask the right questions - can be appointed as the nation's top prosecution lawyer.

The consequences of her failure to review the inquest 'accidental death' verdicts included:

+ a huge delay in getting to the truth

+ over 20 years of expense and anguish for the bereaved families

+ loss of evidence.

As for her trip to Portugal in April with another 'top' CPS lawyer, the only business she could possibly have over there would be to discuss evidence for a criminal prosecution of at least one person in England and Wales - so we will wait and see...

* Am I entitled to a second opinion?

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.08.13 18:23

Poe wrote:To all the pro-whitewashers,

I've been a member of many forums that have been destroyed because one point of view has been allowed to snowball and destroy all other opinions. Please don't do that here - we're all on the same side.
I have to say that from the posts I have observed in recent months on this forum, a definite majority here still have faith that Operation Grange is a genuine investigation in pursuit of the truth of what really happened to Madeleine McCann, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

P.S. Back to the topic, Alison Saunders:

Evening Standard - Published: 23 July 2013

Families of Hillsborough disaster victims have branded Alison Saunders' appointment as the country's top prosecutor as an "absolute disgrace" in light of her record in dealing with the tragedy.

London's Chief Crown Prosecutor Ms Saunders, who has been involved in high-profile cases including the retrial of Stephen Lawrence's killers, is to take over from Keir Starmer QC as Director of Public Prosecutions.

In 1996, as an Attorney General Office advisor to the Solicitor General, she rejected relatives' pleas for a fresh inquest into the death of Kevin Williams, one of the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the disaster on April 15, 1989.

As the woman in charge of the Crown Prosecution Service, she will ultimately decide who should face criminal charges as part of the fresh police investigation into the tragedy launched by the Home Secretary at the end of last year.

Margaret Aspinall, chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, which represents the interests of around 70 affected families, has demanded to meet Ms Saunders to confirm if she "still holds the same opinions".

"I would like to meet her," she said. "I want to know does her opinion still stand to this day. If it does not still stand - what made her change her mind and why?

"It's an absolute disgrace she has been appointed as DPP - how is that justice for the 96?"

Kevin Williams' mother Anne campaigned for a fresh inquest into her son's death before she died from cancer in April, fighting against the coroner's findings that he died before the imposed 3.15pm cut-off.

Within documents compiled by the Hillsborough Independent Panel, a report from Ms Saunders concluded that on the "basis of the new evidence put forward" by Kevin's relatives "there is nothing which makes a fresh inquest necessary or in the interests of justice".

Ms Saunders, who also worked on prosecutions stemming from the London riots, joined the CPS in 1986, the year it was formed, and has been Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS London since 2009.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.08.13 19:22

With due respect: that was `"what?" 16 years ago or so. Don't you think she might have learned a lesson or two?

ETA I don't think that anyone of us would want to be judged on what we may have done [wrong...] such a long time ago.

I also wonder why the costs of the SY review/investigation have to be metered out. Has anyone else ever wondered how much any other non-related investigation cost? E.g. how much for the April Jones search?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.08.13 19:36

Châtelaine wrote:With due respect: that was `"what?" 16 years ago or so. Don't you think she might have learned a lesson or two?
 If you read back up the thread, that's just what the bereaved Hillsborough families are asking for. For her to learn her lesson. They want her to admit that she got it wrong, and now that she's the new DPP, they want her to explain when she changed her mind about Hillsborough and why, and to make amends by ensuring that all the dozens of lying police officers are succesfully prosecuted for perjury and perverting the course of justice.

Let's hope that she doesn't disappoint them a second time...

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 15.08.13 19:39

Poe wrote:
Maybe the investigation is a whitewash but, if it is proven to be we won't give up, we'll deal with it.

You've been a member of this forum for six months. Yet you feel that stating one's opinion is not  what we should do - unless it it is a positive response to news.

Why you are an ex member of 'many' forums appears to be because all other opinions were crushed by 'one point of view'.

Fear not, over the years I've had the pleasure of being a member here I've never felt that one point of view  was in danger of being destroyed by another.

Discussion and debate further knowledge - I have given my reasons as to why I believe it's a whitewash and one should take issue with those reasons - that is the strength and purpose of a forum.

I believe that a serious miscarriage of justice has taken place and have so far seen nothing that inspires confidence in the apparent methods to remedy this. I shall go on debating this until the cows come home or as the case may be, this forum is destroyed by a snowballing point of view.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty whitewash

Post by davel 15.08.13 21:06

Why would the govt spend millions on a whitewash, doesn't make sense
davel

Activity : 14

Back to top Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty agree

Post by marconi 16.08.13 0:59

davel wrote:Why would the govt spend millions on a whitewash, doesn't make sense
 especially because the parents were not seen and still aren't seen as suspects, in the UK.
the government want to get rid of the McCanns.
Besides, Rebekah Brooks blackmaild Cameron, on orde to put the Scotland Yard in the case.
Goal: selling more papers.
marconi

Back to top Go down

ALISON SAUNDERS - Senior CPS lawyer who went to Portugal in April - and will become the next Director of Public Prosecutions. Her track record examined. - Page 1 Empty wait

Post by marconi 16.08.13 1:36

we have to be patient and to wait.
In six years, it is the first time that we get such a lot of information. If we would have depended on the PJ, we would have been in complete darkness till now, because of the Portuguese laws.
At least the Met police are talking, Redwood gave a good interview.
Imo, the pre-final step is about to happen: Algarve, and the answer will come from there. Somebody will tell what happened to the body.

Every police know how to interrogate.

Besides I still believe that at least one of the Tapas has told the truth and that will be enough to put the pressure on the rest.

The silence of the McCanns, the lack of new sightings, the disappearance of Kate say more than any interview does.

We dont know what is going on behind the scenes.

We have to wait.
marconi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 16.08.13 5:44

Back on topic, here is an assessment of Alison Saunders' career - made only last week - in the Law Gazette. The first part about the 'bullying culture' in the CPS is another concern about Saunders. Moreoever, lower down in the article we learn that the civil service department with the lowest morale of any of them is: the CPS.

Towards the end of this article is a very enthusiastic quote about Saunders from one Stephen Parkinson of Kingsley Napley. It was of course lawyers and barristers from Kingsley Napley who co-ordinated the array of legal help that the McCanns were able to call on during the days in September 2007 immediately following their return from Portugal.

As the book: 'madeleine' by Dr Kate McCann (p. 268) informs us:

"On Wednesday 12 September, Gerry was contacted by Edward Smethurst, a commercial lawyer. He represented a businessman called Brian Kennedy...A meeting with Edward and Brian was arranged for that Friday at the Kingsley Napley offices in Lndon. On Friday morning, Angus McBride [from Kingsley Napley] kindly drove to Rothley to pick us up and take us down to London..."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Profile: Alison Saunders

Monday 05 August 2013 by Jonathan Rayner

Biog

BORN Aberdeen

UNIVERSITY graduated in law from Leeds University in 1982

JOBS called to the bar in 1983; pupil at 1 Garden Court; legal adviser at Lloyd’s of London; joined the CPS in 1986; will become DPP on 1 November

++++++++++++

Alison Saunders, the next director of public prosecutions (DPP), inherits a Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) whose lawyers have scant faith in its management and who feel that their work is under-valued, according to the latest Civil Service People Survey that was published in February.

Face to face, some CPS prosecutors are equally blunt. One senior member of the London team, who asked not to be named, told the Gazette that the management culture was centred on ‘fear, blame and bullying’. She said that as London’s chief crown prosecutor, Saunders must bear much of the responsibility for the development of such a culture: ‘If she can’t sort out London, why put her in charge of the entire CPS?’ It is not just members of staff who are unhappy. The CPS, still reeling from 27.5% budget cuts and a 7.5% reduction in lawyer numbers, stands accused by defence lawyers and the police of incompetence and delays in dealing with cases. All of which suggests that Saunders will face an uphill struggle to solve the ills of what is apparently a dysfunctional organisation.

So what, objectively, do we know about Saunders? She is a career prosecutor who joined the CPS upon its formation in 1986 and is the first internal candidate – and only the second woman since Dame Barbara Mills in the 1990s – to be appointed to the top job. She spent the early years of her career with the CPS prosecuting in south London before moving on to work on policy around child victims and witnesses. In 2001, she became chief crown prosecutor for Sussex and, among many hundreds of other cases, oversaw the prosecution of Roy Whiting for the abduction and murder of eight-year-old Sarah Payne. After a brief spell as deputy legal adviser to the attorney general, she returned to the CPS to set up its organised crime division, which deals with cross-border and domestic cases of human trafficking, drugs, counterfeiting, money laundering and other serious offences.

In 2009, she became chief crown prosecutor for London, where more than a quarter of all crimes nationally are committed. Since then, she has overseen the successful prosecution and jailing of two of the men who killed black teenager Stephen Lawrence in 1993. More controversially, she also oversaw the prosecution of thousands of people involved in the August 2011 riots in London, when heavy sentences were handed down for sometimes trivial offences.

The present incumbent, Keir Starmer, who is standing down at the end of October on the completion of his five-year term, is a hard act to follow. He has won praise for improving the CPS’s success rate in prosecuting rape and domestic violence cases, and has been an unswerving defender of the Human Rights Act. He is also credited with making the criminal justice system more focused on the needs of victims. Starmer was described by attorney general Dominic Grieve as ‘not just a formidable lawyer’, but one who ‘brought sound instinct and humanity to his role’. Grieve added that Starmer ‘can be proud of the reforms that he and his staff have led to keep our criminal justice system one of the best in the world’.

A hard act to follow, but the great and the good, including Grieve, were quick to rally behind Saunders when her appointment was announced. Grieve said: ‘Alison will make an excellent DPP and is the right person to help the CPS meet the challenges it will face in the coming years. I am particularly pleased that Alison is the first head of the CPS to be appointed from within its ranks as proof of the high quality of the professionals that work within the service.’

Criminal defence solicitors have been largely supportive, too. Anthony Edwards, senior partner at London firm TV Edwards, told the Gazette: ‘She has been a very safe pair of hands in dealing with major casework in London, particularly during the riots of 2011 [for which work she was made a Companion of the Order of Bath].

‘She has enormous experience and has demonstrated sound judgment. She also has casework and policy experience and understands the current issues facing the CPS. Prime among these is the effects of government budget cuts. In London this has meant serious failings in the handling of volume casework, with essential disclosure being a particular problem.’ Edwards adds that when she takes up her new role on 1 November, Saunders will be able to make government aware, ‘from first-hand experience’, of the problems that exist and identify ways forward – which is ‘almost inevitably reducing the volume of low-level divisional crime passing through the courts’.

Another criminal lawyer, solicitor-advocate Malcolm Fowler of West Midlands firm Dennings, says Saunders ‘breaks the mould’ in that she is not a human rights barrister direct from chambers: ‘But neither is she the “grizzled” prosecutor that some Tory MPs wanted as DPP to lock up criminals with little regard for their human rights. If some political elements think she will deliver human rights minus, they are going to be disappointed.’

A third criminal law practitioner, Stephen Parkinson, head of criminal law at London firm Kingsley Napley, says Saunders’ appointment was ‘tremendous news’. He adds: ‘She is a first-class lawyer with great experience and a thorough understanding of the way the CPS works. This appointment is not only good for Alison, but good for the CPS, too. It demonstrates you can join the CPS as a newly qualified solicitor and eventually become DPP. I wish her every success.’

But before we get carried away with unqualified praise of Saunders, there are still some dissenting voices. A second senior CPS prosecutor, who also requested anonymity, told the Gazette he has mixed views on Saunders’ appointment. ‘On the one hand, the attorney general has appointed an in-house career prosecutor rather than leading counsel from within the chambers system and the independent bar, which is a welcome break with the past. On the other hand, management is a big issue within the CPS and Alison is not popular among rank and file prosecutors.

She is seen as careerist and uninspiring. Her appeal for the “Dunkirk spirit” in the face of cutbacks was thought of as an inappropriate analogy.’ He adds that the CPS is a sizeable organisation with some 7,000 lawyers, so Saunders’ management experience is ‘a plus’. However, like Starmer and all the other DPPs, she is a barrister and, although the single largest employer of solicitors, the CPS has still to see a solicitor DPP, he notes.

‘I suspect that the attorney general was impressed by how CPS London stepped up to the plate during the 2011 London riots, for which Alison as chief crown prosecutor can claim much of the credit,’ he says. ‘Nonetheless, CPS London is seen as under-performing, and morale among solicitor prosecutors is low and made worse by budget cuts.’

The two senior CPS prosecutors who spoke to the Gazette are not isolated cases of malcontents, if the findings of the Civil Service People Survey are to be believed. This is an annual survey, carried out by the Cabinet Office, of all civil service departments. It puts around 100 questions to civil servants and collates the results to provide a ‘benchmark’ that is the average score across all departments. It also provides scores for individual departments that can be compared against the benchmark.

The Gazette downloaded the survey from the Cabinet Office website and used it to measure the CPS against the general benchmark, and against the scores registered by the Ministry of Justice. The CPS consistently recorded the lowest scores. On whether management motivates staff to be more effective in their jobs, the benchmark was 66%, the MoJ was 69% and the CPS just 54%. On confidence in management, the benchmark was 71%, the MoJ was 75% and the CPS only 59%.

This pattern was repeated across learning and development opportunities, inclusion and fair treatment, leadership and managing change, and employee engagement. In fact, it was repeated across all areas apart from discrimination and bullying and harassment, for both of which categories of question the CPS recorded higher figures – 14% and 12% respectively – than either the benchmark or the MoJ, which showed just 10%. This, of course, is not a distinction of which to be proud. It certainly seems that Saunders has a hill to climb if she is to turn the CPS around and make its service unite behind its mission to prosecute crime effectively. What are her most urgent in-tray challenges? Commentators are agreed that first and foremost she needs to get her staff onside and motivated to deliver improvements in back-office efficiency and the prosecution of volume crime, as opposed to high-profile, more serious crimes.

They call on her to bring the same high standards that the CPS achieves on these latter crimes to the great mass of smaller crimes that are heard in the Crown and magistrates’ courts. She also needs to rebuild morale after allegations of incompetence and inexperience have been directed at in-house CPS advocates who were introduced to save money spent on external counsel. The latter need more training and encouragement to continue taking cases to the Crown court, which will have the knock-on effect of helping recruitment and raising the status of CPS prosecutors. And finally, she will need the managerial strength to run a service that is under constant scrutiny and that must continually meet higher standards with less money.

Certainly, Saunders herself is bullish about her new role. When her appointment was made public, she was widely reported as saying: ‘I am delighted and privileged to be appointed as the next DPP. To lead an organisation of committed and professional staff is an honour.’

Jonathan Rayner is a reporter on the Gazette

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 16.08.13 6:20

Mixed reviews then Tony. As a general rule I would listen to the worker bees as opposed to the more senior bees who by and large have absolutely no idea what goes on day to day in a Department.

Re. the Hillsborough issue. Let us hope she has learned from past mistakes as one poster has said, but what a heck of a mistake to make, involving so many innocent people and their families. Sheesh.
plebgate

Back to top Go down

Post by davel 16.08.13 6:23

Tony,
when are you going to realise you are just plain wrong.
You were totally wrong on the Holly Greig case and SY have all but proved you are wrong on the McCann case. They will eventually.
You have made an absolute idiot of yourself.
davel

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 16.08.13 6:27

How has Tony made a fool of himself Kevin (sorry) Davel?
plebgate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 16.08.13 6:43

It was Alison Saunders in her role as Head of London CPS, working closely with the Met Police, who stopped the trial of three men accused of murdering Daniel Morgan in 1987, in one of the longest-running police corruption cases ever.

One of the accused, Jonathan Rees, was very closely connected to Andy Coulson, former editor of the News of the World, and now facing charges of (I think) 'phone hacking and maybe perverting the couyrse of justice as well.

Andy Coulson was of course David Cameron's ill-fated choice as his Director of Communications 2009-2011, and for three months in 2010, in the run-up to the General Election of 2010, Clarence Mitchell was his Deputy.

Rebekah Wade/Brooks was of course Andy Coulson's boss as Rupert Murdoch's CEO of News Intetnational. She also faces similar charges to Coulson and is accused of perverting the course of justice by deleting e-mails to prevent the police from knowing what went on. IIRC she told her PA to throw some hard drives into her dustbin. It was Rebekah Brooks who ordered our Prime Minister to set up Operation Grange, on the very day that the Sun began serialising the book: 'madeleine' by Dr Kate McCann, which was published the very same day.

Daniel Morgan's brother Alastair has a website about the network of high-level police corruption that has covered up his brother's death. See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan_(private_investigator)
https://twitter.com/AlastairMorgan
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Daniel-Morgan/237396839629908

Here is the CPS statement explaining why they were abandoning the prosecution of the alleged killers of Daniel Morgan:

+++++++++++++++

11/03/2011

CPS stops prosecution for 1987 killing of Daniel Morgan

We have decided that the prosecution of three men for the killing of private detective Daniel Morgan in 1987 cannot continue. Alison Saunders, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS London, said:

“Daniel Morgan was brutally killed 24 years ago. When we authorised charges against five men in April 2008 in relation to his death, we knew this would be a challenging prosecution because of both the passage of time and the amount of material, more than 750,000 pages, which needed to be considered for disclosure to the defence. Material that could assist the defence or undermine the prosecution must be disclosed.

“We were, until yesterday, satisfied that there was sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction. However, we must continuously review prosecutions to ensure that it is both fair and appropriate that they continue. We no longer believe this prosecution should continue.

“In December 2009, the police revealed a large amount of material to us that had not been considered for disclosure before. There was then considerable legal argument on whether it was possible for the case to proceed. Officers assured the court that there was no further unconsidered material. The judge was considering this matter when, on Friday 4 March 2011, the police revealed further material that had not been previously considered.

“We have decided that a prosecution cannot continue in these circumstances. We cannot be confident that the defence necessarily have all of the material that they are entitled to. This point would be raised by the defence during any trial, so we are no longer satisfied that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction.

“This decision has been taken by the CPS with the advice of senior counsel. Daniel Morgan’s family was also consulted before this decision was taken. This has been a long and difficult ordeal for the family, and we have offered them our heartfelt sympathies.”

Background

• The CPS authorised charges against five men in April 2008 – a joint charge of murder against William (Jonathan) Rees, Glen Vian, Gary Vian and James Cook and a charge of perverting the course of justice against Sidney Fillery. However, the cases against Cook and Fillery had already been discontinued at an earlier stage in the proceedings.

• Three prosecution witnesses were subject to agreements under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act (SOCPA) 2005.

• The case against Sidney Fillery relied entirely upon the evidence of a SOCPA witness that was ruled inadmissible by the court in February 2010. We then offered no evidence against him for perverting the course of justice.

• The case against James Cook relied upon the evidence of three witnesses, including the evidence of the SOCPA witness that the court had ruled inadmissible. We carefully considered whether it was possible to continue with the evidence of the other two witnesses, including another SOCPA witness, but decided it was not possible in November 2010.

• It emerged in December 2010 that material that could have assisted the defence concerning the prosecution’s remaining SOCPA witnesses and should have been disclosed by the police had been lost. Although we could no longer use this witness’s evidence against the remaining three defendants, we were satisfied the prosecution could continue.

"We are all in this together" - Brooks to Cameron

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by davel 16.08.13 6:43

plebgate wrote:How has Tony made a fool of himself Kevin (sorry) Davel?
 Holly Greig
davel

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 16.08.13 6:51

in your opinion Davel.

How is Tony so completely wrong - are you not bothering to read his posts?
plebgate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17.08.13 20:49

DaveL, he certainly isn't the only one who doesn't believe the official Hollie (please note the spelling) Greig and McCanns stories.

Are you able to explain briefly why, despite all the glaring discrepancies in both of them, you do believe them?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum