The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Charities

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Charities

Post by whmon on 10.08.13 0:59

I wasn't sure where to post this. I just wanted to say that while we are becoming wary of the motives of many charities, there are some that do what they say on the box. Several years  ago when I worked as a lecturer, a student of mine disclosed to me that he was going to take his own life. This is a long and harrowing story that I will not elaborate on. I spent all of my time after the disclosure (because it had already happened once before with another student who had gone through with it) looking for help.

Somehow, I hit upon a lady called Helen Bamber.(Founder of The Medical Foundation and Support for Victims of Torture), a She answered my email with her home telephone number and asked me to ring her. She helped my student to the extent that she saved his life and not only that but came to the region every Saturday for many weeks to set up a branch of her organisation  in order to help others. She truly is a hero and a genuine person. I know that her own background and personality lead her to work for people in need. I strongly agree that many people heading charities are in it to make money but not all of them. Bless you Helen Bamber

(Any typos in any of my pots are due to diminishing eyesight and glasses of wine in equal quantities)

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by Who?What?Where? on 10.08.13 2:02

I think that the vast majority of people who work for charitie's, are well intentioned. They tend to be relatively poor people, in monetary term's,who have genuine sympathy with people who are worse off than them.

Wealthy people promoting themselve's, (because they are involved with charitie's), or people who earn a good income from charitie's? I would be much more suspicious of their motive's.

Who?What?Where?

Posts : 187
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by Prehensile on 10.08.13 2:13

@Who?What?Where? wrote:I think that the vast majority of people who work for charitie's, are well intentioned. They tend to be relatively poor people, in monetary term's,who have genuine sympathy with people who are worse off than them.

Wealthy people promoting themselve's, (because they are involved with charitie's), or people who earn an income from charitie's? I would be much more suspicious of their motive's.
 Just look at the salvation army, as far as I'm led to believe they spend 89% of their income on themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Pointless money spent on fancy uniforms when mufty would do the same job.

Prehensile

Posts : 72
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by lj on 10.08.13 14:32

@Prehensile wrote:
@Who?What?Where? wrote:I think that the vast majority of people who work for charitie's, are well intentioned. They tend to be relatively poor people, in monetary term's,who have genuine sympathy with people who are worse off than them.

Wealthy people promoting themselve's, (because they are involved with charitie's), or people who earn an income from charitie's? I would be much more suspicious of their motive's.
 Just look at the salvation army, as far as I'm led to believe they spend 89% of their income on themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Pointless money spent on fancy uniforms when mufty would do the same job.
I don't know where you get that figure, could you link that please?

Here
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Guide-to-Giving/America-s-Top-50-charities-How-well-do-they-rate

it says 84% goes to programs.

I have never heard of an scandal involving them. I don't know about the UK, but I know that in the Netehrlands and in Mexcio their salaries are very modest.
As a matter of fact it's the only "official" charity I give to.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3275
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by tigger on 10.08.13 15:42

@lj wrote:
@Prehensile wrote:
@Who?What?Where? wrote:I think that the vast majority of people who work for charitie's, are well intentioned. They tend to be relatively poor people, in monetary term's,who have genuine sympathy with people who are worse off than them.

Wealthy people promoting themselve's, (because they are involved with charitie's), or people who earn an income from charitie's? I would be much more suspicious of their motive's.
 Just look at the salvation army, as far as I'm led to believe they spend 89% of their income on themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Pointless money spent on fancy uniforms when mufty would do the same job.
I don't know where you get that figure, could you link that please?

Here
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Guide-to-Giving/America-s-Top-50-charities-How-well-do-they-rate

it says 84% goes to programs.

I have never heard of an scandal involving them. I don't know about the UK, but I know that in the Netehrlands and in Mexcio their salaries are very modest.
As a matter of fact it's the only "official" charity I give to.
Same here. I'd think that the money goes on rent and buying buildings etc. people there genuinely work for nothing afaik. 
They do great work in rescuing young people who've run away from home. Giving them food and shelter.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mssing people - Accounts 2010 - 2011

Post by PeterMac on 10.08.13 16:14

Income
2011 £ 1,935,611
Income available for charitable activities
2011 £ 1,443,201
Staff costs - wages and Salaries
2011 - £ 1,331,780

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by lj on 10.08.13 23:34

@PeterMac wrote:Income
2011  £ 1,935,611
Income available for charitable activities
2011  £ 1,443,201
Staff costs - wages and Salaries
2011 - £ 1,331,780
Is this from the UK salvation army PeterMac?

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3275
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by Prehensile on 11.08.13 2:15

@PeterMac wrote:Income
2011  £ 1,935,611
Income available for charitable activities
2011  £ 1,443,201
Staff costs - wages and Salaries
2011 - £ 1,331,780
 http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/tag/salvation-army/

Prehensile

Posts : 72
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MISSING PEOPLE ACCOUNTS

Post by PeterMac on 11.08.13 7:09

@lj wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Income
2011  £ 1,935,611
Income available for charitable activities
2011  £ 1,443,201
Staff costs - wages and Salaries
2011 - £ 1,331,780
Is this from the UK salvation army PeterMac?

MISSING PEOPLE
Sorry. I put it in the title, but should have made it more clear.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by plebgate on 11.08.13 14:44

Unfortunately this link shows why a lot of people are now reluctant to give to charities.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/421151/Anger-at-pay-rise-for-Comic-Relief-bosses

I too would like to know where the money comes from to pay these "top" salaries if not from donations?

plebgate

Posts : 5445
Reputation : 1160
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by plebgate on 11.08.13 16:11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383911/Comic-Relief-orders-probe-Ugandan-charity-200-000-given-British-public-goes-missing.html

Comic relief, nothing funny about this.

It is such a shame that people are fed up with reading about the earning power of these chief execs., especially when you hear of such genuine people as the one mentioned in the OP.

Comic relief donations down since 2011 but Chief Exec's pay rises?

plebgate

Posts : 5445
Reputation : 1160
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charities

Post by PeterMac on 11.08.13 16:14

Big charities get a huge amount of funding direct from government.
In that way central government can then not bother doing the things charities do, providing soup kitchens, looking after the homeless, providing guide dogs for the kind
and can let things be done at a local level.
So far so good, but some of the charities are now so bloated that they are larger than a small Civil service department.
And largely unaccountable.

So if you give to a large Charity you are paying twice.
The duplication of Charities is also frightening.
There are literally hundreds of Cancer Charities, doing exactly the same thing, raising money for research, but each one has a full staff

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2000/nov/08/guardiansocietysupplement5
There are more than 185,000 registered charities in England and Wales. The number is rising by 5,000 a year. As you read this, another charity will be created somewhere in the country. The charity commission lists 620 cancer charities alone and more than 200 charities working with homeless people just in London.

No wonder 70% of the public think there are too many charities doing similar work and competing with each other, according to new ICM opinion poll figures. The poll was carried out for the Media Trust, which, with the support of the Guardian, is today staging a debate on charity proliferation and duplication, asking whether confidence in the sector is being crucially undermined.

Gordon McVie, director general of Cancer Research Campaign (CRC), the second largest cancer charity, openly acknowledges that the public is confused by the sheer number of charities. He warns: "Out of confusion mistrust is bred, and the charity sector only functions because of trust." Numerous small cancer research charities, he claims, end up granting funds to scientists whose requests for funding CRC has turned down. "Something has to be done," he says.

However McVie takes a different view on the idea of the big four cancer charities merging. It would be inappropriate, he says, for CRC and the Imperial Cancer Research Fund to merge with cancer care charities Marie Curie Cancer Care and Macmillan Cancer Relief. As for having one cancer research outfit, he insists that they already jointly fund research projects running to several million pounds. "Research suggests that we raise more money separately and that volunteers and donors are loyal to a brand," McVie says.

Yet using fundraising to justify charities' existence can be a vicious circle. As the number of charities continues to grow, so does competition for funds - resulting in more aggressive marketing and fundraising techniques which further undermine public confidence.

The public rightly believes that charities are spending more charitable funds trying to get them to part with their money. A study of leading cancer charities by Manchester Business School found that, in 1997, just 65% of money raised was spent on the cause, compared to 90% in 1992. Across all charities, the average was 67% spent on charitable causes in 1997, compared to 80% five years earlier.
Chris Hanvey, director of the John Ellerman Foundation, a grant-giving body, will argue at today's debate that duplication, particularly among small charities, creates waste and inefficiency. "It's often a personal response to a tragedy," he says. "A daughter dies of leukaemia and a father sets up a leukaemia trust in her memory. There's a lot of displaced energy. If they stood back and looked at how they could work with an existing charity, they would probably help the cause much more."

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum