The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Queen gets £2M pay rise!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Queen gets £2M pay rise!

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 21:55

So we have cuts everywhere, including having to pay more taxes according to another front page.  Cutting armed forces, disability, bedroom tax and so on yet the Her Maj gets a £2 million pay rise.  You couldn't make it up!  From the article.... the 5% pay rise comes at a time when the Government is planning 11.5 billion in spending cuts.

Back to top Go down

Re: Queen gets £2M pay rise!

Post by Julchen on 27.06.13 22:06

Don't forget her winter fuel allowance!!!!!
Probably needs it with all those drafty castles....

Jule

Julchen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 22:45

@Julchen wrote:Don't forget her winter fuel allowance!!!!!

Jule
Please don't mention drafty castles ... I'm nearly bankrupt after two hideous winters ...  sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 22:50

The Royals cost us 53p each per year....do you really begrudge that considering what they do for this country?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 22:55

@admin wrote:The Royals cost us 53p each per year....do you really begrudge that considering what they do for this country?
No, but it is grossly unfair that they should get a rise when many people are suffering cuts.  They should be treated the same and tighten their belts, perhaps a few less frocks?  I have nothing against the monarchy, but it really does them no favours this sort of rise, they should refuse it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 23:02

Apparently the pay rise will pay for repairs to all the Royal properties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.06.13 23:07

@admin wrote:Apparently the pay rise will pay for repairs to all the Royal properties.
Otherwise the money would have had to come out of another pay-pot: eh ... subsidies for renovation, restauration of national heritage ... ?

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 28.06.13 4:20

But they generate income, so the "rise" may just be regarded as investment.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 28.06.13 4:28

Châtelaine wrote:

Jule
Please don't mention drafty castles ... I'm nearly bankrupt after two hideous winters ...  sad

Old fashioned wood stove heats up wonderfully but cost of woods is something else I know.
Having to buy the woods, get them delivered and stock them is dreadful enough. I used to hate that when I was living in France.
Now I am paying through the nose for electricity bills on air conditioning - tropical side of the planet you see.
Heating or cooling bills damage the pocket that is for sure.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 28.06.13 4:31

candyfloss wrote:So we have cuts everywhere, including having to pay more taxes according to another front page.  Cutting armed forces, disability, bedroom tax and so on yet the Her Maj gets a £2 million pay rise.  You couldn't make it up!  From the article.... the 5% pay rise comes at a time when the Government is planning 11.5 billion in spending cuts.

o/t

Just noticed the side news on Nigella Lawson.
So it seems the marriage is about to make history, and all there's to savage from that marriage is just POTS and PANS. Oh dearie me!

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 28.06.13 6:45

Here is a very clear explanation about the civil list and the crown lands. You'll be surprised to find the Royal family is a bargain that the UK cannot do without.

If there was a President, all monies for him would have to come from the taxpayers, running to ten to twenty million a year - I'm guessing. A lot of hangers-on would get cushy jobs and so on, all paid for by the good people of Britain.
The 40 million paid to the Queen is a fraction of the income from crown lands which is paid into the treasury. You may say that they should not own those lands. But then perhaps no-one should own land. Not even the National Trust. Nor the many celebrities and millionaires who buy up land for tax evasion.

Stick to your Royals, imo the Queen has turned out to be worth gold even if not all of her off-spring has. In short - Britain's got a bargain, make the most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.06.13 9:00

Having a Queen stopped Cherie Blair from becoming our "First Lady".

For that alone she is worth every penny and more thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 28.06.13 9:04

Quite right!laugh

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 28.06.13 9:10

I begrudge any money from my taxes going to them. Not only has she had this rise, but the grandson and his wife are also having a flat in some castle or other renovated before the new baby arrrives at a cost of one million pounds to the taxpayer.

These are people who have millions and millions stashed away of their own money, who get things given to them for free every day of every year. Ridiculous, greedy and grabbing.

I also do not like the fact that ~The Duke can get first class treatment at a private hospital and be in and out of hospital within a couple of weeks whilst most OAPs are on waiting lists for up to 18 months in some cases.

Equality alive and well in Britain yeah right.

worth every penny, eh.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 28.06.13 9:38

Obama costs 1.4 BILLION per year.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon on 28.06.13 10:29

I agree totally with Plebgate. Ok, I concur that the castles need to be upkept and I daresay the Monarchy security team need to be financed but I am angered by the constant luxury holidays, private jets and yachts, designer clothing and jewelry  that my taxes pay for.

This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 28.06.13 10:30

Poe wrote:Having a Queen stopped Cherie Blair from becoming our "First Lady".

They did try, Cherie Booth launched a ship up north early in her career as 'first lady'.  Luckily I never heard of similar antics.

Seeing the country pile the Blairs have bought can you imagine what they'd have done with a presidency?  The grace and favour apartments they'd give to hangers-on, relatives, so on and so forth.
Either Blair would take the salute at Trooping the Colour, or they'd do away with it - the only country in the world who can stage such an event.

Tourism would drop and so would income from it, who wants to fly across the world to see yet another boring presidential puppet?

I have no access to Hansard, but I vividly recall Blair stating in the commons that he was happy that HIS people were able to demonstrate against the Iraq war. (I wonder if turning catholic helped him - confessing his sins and all's forgiven - how many hail Mary's was that worth? - btw I apologise to good catholics this is about the misuse of the religion).
He and the shady men behind him, who'd put him on the throne in any case would make short work of ruining Britain further. The non-working underclass must have doubled under their leadership. Exactly what they wanted.
Keeping his closet catholisism secret doesn't endear him to me either.

The man's a megalomaniac, something imo none of the royals can be said to be. The queen is amazing and it's partly through her that the Commonwealth has continued to exist. Prince Philip's always entertaining with his embarrassing remarks, Charles at least has the courage of his convictions in calling out the pharma industry for one thing. Princess Anne works very hard for Children's charities abroad, she doesn't have the charisma or the face for photo opportunities but she did and does more than Diana ever did on that score. I don't rate the rest of the family, but that's the case in all families surely?
That paltry 40 million also pays for a lot of employees, upkeep of estates which would be crumbling and so on.  
I''ve heard they'd love to lose Buck House, nobody else wants it, badly built, cold and way too big. No other London Palace is big enough for receptions, so it's likely that President Blair/Prescott/Mandelson/Milliband  would  choose it as their main residence.  
Phew, sorry about the rant, but the world isn't really divided in the  have and have-nots. That's far too simple a way to describe  any economic system even as far back as the stone age.

Imo it's turning a large part of the population into badly educated, dependent drones that's costing far more than 40 million and has done more harm to the country and the people than another Blitzkrieg ever could. Mind you, dumbing down the population is not only happening in Britain but in many other European countries and you can't have a democracy without an educated population.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 28.06.13 11:09

@tigger wrote:
Poe wrote:Having a Queen stopped Cherie Blair from becoming our "First Lady".

They did try, Cherie Booth launched a ship up north early in her career as 'first lady'.  Luckily I never heard of similar antics.

Seeing the country pile the Blairs have bought can you imagine what they'd have done with a presidency?  The grace and favour apartments they'd give to hangers-on, relatives, so on and so forth.
Either Blair would take the salute at Trooping the Colour, or they'd do away with it - the only country in the world who can stage such an event.

Tourism would drop and so would income from it, who wants to fly across the world to see yet another boring presidential puppet?

I have no access to Hansard, but I vividly recall Blair stating in the commons that he was happy that HIS people were able to demonstrate against the Iraq war. (I wonder if turning catholic helped him - confessing his sins and all's forgiven - how many hail Mary's was that worth? - btw I apologise to good catholics this is about the misuse of the religion).
He and the shady men behind him, who'd put him on the throne in any case would make short work of ruining Britain further. The non-working underclass must have doubled under their leadership. Exactly what they wanted.
Keeping his closet catholisism secret doesn't endear him to me either.

The man's a megalomaniac, something imo none of the royals can be said to be. The queen is amazing and it's partly through her that the Commonwealth has continued to exist. Prince Philip's always entertaining with his embarrassing remarks, Charles at least has the courage of his convictions in calling out the pharma industry for one thing. Princess Anne works very hard for Children's charities abroad, she doesn't have the charisma or the face for photo opportunities but she did and does more than Diana ever did on that score. I don't rate the rest of the family, but that's the case in all families surely?
That paltry 40 million also pays for a lot of employees, upkeep of estates which would be crumbling and so on.  
I''ve heard they'd love to lose Buck House, nobody else wants it, badly built, cold and way too big. No other London Palace is big enough for receptions, so it's likely that President Blair/Prescott/Mandelson/Milliband  would  choose it as their main residence.  
Phew, sorry about the rant, but the world isn't really divided in the  have and have-nots. That's far too simple a way to describe  any economic system even as far back as the stone age.

Imo it's turning a large part of the population into badly educated, dependent drones that's costing far more than 40 million and has done more harm to the country and the people than another Blitzkrieg ever could.  Mind you, dumbing down the population is not only happening in Britain but in many other European countries and you can't have a democracy without an educated population.
Precisely, and this is their end goal. Tyranny, ruling the deliberately educationally dumbed-down subordinate underclasses.
I attended a meeting at 'Whitehall' (UK government top office), where the then newly appointed labour minister for health, the brummy one, stupidly blurted out in his own educationally ignorant manner, the answer to the question 'but what about people's Freedom of Choice?' We can't all have freedom of choice, he responded, because that would be anarchy and no government can rule with anarchy.
That was mid to late 1990s. That was when I saw the writing on the wall, and it is proving itself daily therefrom.
That is why I am so 'pleased' (if that can be the right description) with the courage of whistle-blowers.
These people are the only way, when political corruption is as entrenched as it is today, that the 'bigger agenda' can be defeated.
As I say, anyone who has an agenda, that they wish to hide, must live in continual and dreaded fear of the day, the moment, the person, the published message, that exposes them for what they are.
Then, depending upon the level of p*ssed-off-ed-ness that the proliteriat is suffering at that particular moment in time, the 'handling' of those 'purporting' a la Gerry their hidden agendas will be reflected in the proliteriat's reactions. Hitler, Ceausescu etc.
The history is there for the reading. To what extent and extreme will people be pushed before they retaliate with sufficient force to rid themselves of the oppressor ? The purveyors of 'hidden agendas' need to watch over their shoulders, constantly.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 28.06.13 14:33

A million to refurbish [ not build] one apartment at Kensington Palace is offensive in these times of austerity for many. This is for the family of 3 come July. William and Kate decided that they will pay for soft furnishings themselves. How wonderful of them after the publication of accounts showing that their far East trip cost a quarter of a million pounds. There was a trip by Princess Anne , a very short trip, costing over 40,000 pounds because she travelled with a few other people.
 The Royals are making money from the new baby fever......B Palace site is  selling soldier uniform style babywear at £12 a pop while Prince Charles Highgrove website is offering baby shoes at £22 a pair.
 I hope the money is going to charity.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 28.06.13 16:33

Imo these things should be seen in context. I believe the palaces aren't actually owned by the royals, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - they belong to the state.
Even if that isn't the case, call to mind the Lord Chancellor, close friend of Cherie Blair, who had his apartments renovated (they belong to the state too) at a cost of well over a million.
Roy Strong, when visiting the completed make-over said he'd pay money NOT to live there, it was in such bad taste. The taxpayer coughed up for that as well.

So just looking at the royals - and it is a lot of money - just have a look what the non-royals get up to and compare. Look at everybody who has the opportunity to use tax-payers' money and I think it's likely that the royals don't look so bad next to the likes of Lord Chancellor Baron Irvine of Lang  and his Pugin-inspired make-over.
He and Booth cooked up the Yuman Rights Act for Britain which has resulted in any criminal immigrant being able to claim millions from the taxpayers to defend him in court and afterwards to keep him in the manner he'd like to be accustomed.

from Wiki: Irvine regularly faced controversy as Lord Chancellor. Soon after his appointment in 1998, the Lord Chancellor's official residence in the Palace of Westminster was redecorated at a cost to the taxpayer of £650,000. Hand-printed wallpaper alone accounted for £59,000.[2] Much of the criticism devolved on Irvine. Contractors working on the renovations were forced to sign the Official Secrets Act in order to avoid revelations of the expenditure leaking out to the public.[2] Early in 2003 he was awarded a pay rise of £22,691 as a result of a formula designed to keep his salary ahead of that of the Lord Chief Justice. After an outcry he accepted a more modest increase.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.06.13 16:42

@aiyoyo wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:

Jule

Old fashioned wood stove heats up wonderfully but cost of woods is something else I know.  
Having to buy the woods, get them delivered and stock them is dreadful enough.  I used to hate that when I was living in France.  
Now I am paying through the nose for electricity bills on air conditioning - tropical side of the planet you see.  
Heating or cooling bills damage the pocket that is for sure.

Agree we used 3 deliveries of logs last winter at a cost of 160euros a delivery, and this just to heat the kitchen/dining area/lounge, all one huge room. We had 2 duvets on and 4 hot water bottles in our bed and two cats too, lol. So anyone who thinks that pensioners who retire to the sun are comfortable all year round are very mistaken.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.06.13 17:20

Just to give you an example of heating costs in castles [and mine is no way near the size of theirs] last winter has cost me approx. 15,000 € ... sad

Admin, could I have a donate button? laughat 

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.06.13 17:31

Châtelaine wrote:Just to give you an example of heating costs in castles [and mine is no way near the size of theirs] last winter has cost me approx. 15,000 € ... sad

Admin, could I have a donate button? laughat 

Gosh makes my 480 E look like chicken feed. It is however one months state pension for me.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 28.06.13 17:34

@tigger wrote:Imo these things should be seen in context. I believe the palaces aren't actually owned by the royals, I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - they belong to the state.
Even if that isn't the case, call to mind the Lord Chancellor, close friend of Cherie Blair, who had his apartments renovated (they belong to the state too) at a cost of well over a million.
Roy Strong, when visiting the completed make-over said he'd pay money NOT to live there, it was in such bad taste. The taxpayer coughed up for that as well.

So just looking at the royals - and it is a lot of money - just have a look what the non-royals get up to and compare. Look at everybody who has the opportunity to use tax-payers' money and I think it's likely that the royals don't look so bad next to the likes of Lord Chancellor Baron Irvine of Lang  and his Pugin-inspired make-over.
He and Booth cooked up the Yuman Rights Act for Britain which has resulted in any criminal immigrant being able to claim millions from the taxpayers to defend him in court and afterwards to keep him in the manner he'd like to be accustomed.

from Wiki:  Irvine regularly faced controversy as Lord Chancellor. Soon after his appointment in 1998, the Lord Chancellor's official residence in the Palace of Westminster was redecorated at a cost to the taxpayer of £650,000. Hand-printed wallpaper alone accounted for £59,000.[2] Much of the criticism devolved on Irvine. Contractors working on the renovations were forced to sign the Official Secrets Act in order to avoid revelations of the expenditure leaking out to the public.[2] Early in 2003 he was awarded a pay rise of £22,691 as a result of a formula designed to keep his salary ahead of that of the Lord Chief Justice. After an outcry he accepted a more modest increase.

Even though I am not a royalist, I much prefer them to a republic state.
Imagine having shell president, their cronies and hangers on spending on taxpayers but dont ahve the same accountability and transparency as the Monarchy.
I dare say the integrity of the Monarchy is beyond reproach and by comparison one cannot say the same about Politicians.

Besides all the stately homes, castles and palaces, are heritage of great historical values that need to be maintained be it lived in by the royals or Presidents or exhibit as museums.

At least the royals keep up centuries of tradition and custom of priceless intrinsic value that no modern day republic can ever hope to compare.
The Monarchy is adept at doing things with pomp and style of entertainment value to the world helping to generate income just in broadcasting royalties and is a hugh tourist attraction, again generating profit.

Imagine a UK becoming like China without its emperors! Life would be much duller.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.06.13 17:42

@Nina wrote:
Gosh makes my 480 E look like chicken feed. It is however one months state pension for me.
480 € per month ...?! That's robbery. I get 750 € and that's a reduced pension, because of all of the years I wasn't living and/or working in the Netherlands ...

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum