The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Two Young Children Die 'In Shower' as 'Mother Sleeps for Ten Hours'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two Young Children Die 'In Shower' as 'Mother Sleeps for Ten Hours'

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 7:22

Hope this not covered already!

Not sure if the link will work on a PC - its from a blackBerry:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/154822/2_children_die_in_shower?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=beingamom_fanpage

2 Children Die in Shower After Mom Falls Asleep for 10 Hours
Posted by Adriana Velez on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Mom of two Miranda Hebble is blaming her exhaustion for the deaths of her two children, 2-year-old Lochlan and 10-month-old Malachi. She says Lochlan had smeared excrement from his diaper all over the walls and his brother's crib, so she took both boys, put them in the shower, and turned on the water. Then, she claims, she fell asleep and 10 hours later woke to find both children dead in the shower.

It's a heartbreaking loss for Hebble, for sure. But ... does that story sound strange to you? We all know it's dangerous to leave a child alone in the bathroom (or anywhere, for that matter). It would just take a couple minutes to rinse each child off. What did she imagine would happen to those babies when she walked away? What's really going on here?

Hebble told police her shower had accidentally gotten plugged up. She found Malachi floating with bruises on his cheek, and Lochlan on the bathroom floor with a scratch on his forehead, marks on his belly, and blood coming out of his mouth. The examiner couldn't say exactly what caused the boys' deaths. But he says Malachi may have drowned and Lochlan may have died from exhaustion, hunger, and perhaps hypothermia. Drowning may have contributed to his death as well.

Apparently Hebble had been investigated earlier for an incident in which she left Malachi alone in her car while she supposedly returned a video. Police found him hot, red, sweaty, and crying. Hebble told police she left him in the car because she was so tired, she was afraid she would drop him if she tried to carry him.

Something is up with Hebble. My first thought was that she may have substance abuse problems. But maybe it's postpartum depression, which can make some moms feel overwhelmed and fatigued. Apparently she'd had no history of mental illness or drug or alcohol abuse, but Hebble had been sleep-deprived because of Malachai's "restlessness." I think in just 10 months' time, it's entirely possible for a mom to suffer depression (aggravated by sleep deprivation) and not recognize it as such -- and so not get the help she needs. I wonder if Hebble had been suffering in silence, and we're now seeing the awful consequences of depression.

What do you think really led to the deaths of these children?

Image via Spring Dew/Flickr

Filed Under: accidents, death, in the news

Hmmmm..... nah

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Two Young Children Die 'In Shower' as 'Mother Sleeps for Ten Hours'

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 7:32

Sorry Admin/Mods - that was meant for 'latest News' section - dunno what happened there!

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 09.05.13 7:53

I'd go along with sleep deprivation leading to depression. It's only the last 60 years or so that it's 'normal' for one woman to care for babies and very young children. In e.g. Mediterranean countries it's still normal for members of the family to help - in Spain it was quite normal for a child of say two years old, to live with an aunt or grandmother for months whilst the mother could concentrate on the new baby and have help there too. In the past it was perfectly normal to spread the load in the UK as well. The working class families all pitched in and the rest got in hired help and nannies.

I am not fit to be near after only one night of missed sleep - the brain requires it to function normally.
So yes RB - sounds like she didn't have much help and she flipped.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 09.05.13 8:12

she should have been given help and watched after the incident with the video and leaving the child in the car.

How did the shower get clogged up?

for the children.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 09.05.13 10:21

Without suggesting what may or may not have happened in this tragic case, I have sympathy for anyone who temporarily loses control while looking after children.

It's only - hypothetically speaking of course! - when a cover-up is then instigated to blame everyone but the person responsible that sympathy rapidly evaporates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 09.05.13 11:34

@tigger wrote:I'd go along with sleep deprivation leading to depression. It's only the last 60 years or so that it's 'normal' for one woman to care for babies and very young children. In e.g. Mediterranean countries it's still normal for members of the family to help - in Spain it was quite normal for a child of say two years old, to live with an aunt or grandmother for months whilst the mother could concentrate on the new baby and have help there too...
This woman's story has as many holes in it as a colander or a sieve.

For a start, if the shower had really been on for 10 hours, the place would have been flooded - was that checked? If she lived in a flat, 10 hours' water would have seeped through to neighbours' flats.

What kind of 'shower' was this, anyway?

The whole point of a shower is that the water drains away.

Was it a shower over a bath? If so, did she also 'forget' to pull out the plug?

How many babies and toddlers get a shower instead of a bath anyway?

And could the mother really have 'fallen asleep' if her children were crying out for help as the waters rose?

On top of that, we have several injuries reported:

She found Malachi floating with bruises on his cheek, and Lochlan on the bathroom floor with a scratch on his forehead, marks on his belly, and blood coming out of his mouth. The examiner couldn't say exactly what caused the boys' deaths. But he says Malachi may have drowned and Lochlan may have died from exhaustion, hunger, and perhaps hypothermia. Drowning may have contributed to his death as well.

UNQUOTE

I would be amazed if the police were not treating this death as suspicious and interviewig her under caution for murder (if they have not already done so). Her story sounds like a cover story.

ALSO. where was the father(s) in all of this?

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 09.05.13 12:51

Certainly all the signs of either neglect or at least an inability to cope with small children. It does not seem there were other people around, no husband mentioned. I may well be jumping the gun, but imo the situation the woman was in should not arise in a normal humane society.
If she was already found to be unable to take proper care of her children we're back to social services. Because they should have been checking after the incident with the car.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 09.05.13 13:15

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@tigger wrote:I'd go along with sleep deprivation leading to depression. It's only the last 60 years or so that it's 'normal' for one woman to care for babies and very young children. In e.g. Mediterranean countries it's still normal for members of the family to help - in Spain it was quite normal for a child of say two years old, to live with an aunt or grandmother for months whilst the mother could concentrate on the new baby and have help there too...

For a start, if the shower had really been on for 10 hours, the place would have been flooded - was that checked? If she lived in a flat, 10 hours' water would have seeped through to neighbours' flats.

And could the mother really have 'fallen asleep' if her children were crying out for help as the waters rose?

She found Malachi floating with bruises on his cheek, and Lochlan on the bathroom floor with a scratch on his forehead, marks on his belly, and blood coming out of his mouth. The examiner couldn't say exactly what caused the boys' deaths. But he says Malachi may have drowned and Lochlan may have died from exhaustion, hunger, and perhaps hypothermia. Drowning may have contributed to his death as well.

UNQUOTE

I would be amazed if the police were not treating this death as suspicious and interviewig her under caution for murder (if they have not already done so). Her story sounds like a cover story.

It is possible, if it were something like a shower/ hip bath, that the level rose and the children were unable to climb out.
The injuries would be consistent with being suspended / floating in the water, slipping and falling when trying to get over the edge. It could also be possible that the mess or plug in the plug hole was dislodged by a child's foot in the struggle and the water would then flow. I know it's unlikely, but a relative of mine does have a sitz-bath and it's like a coffin. It's ghastly. If you're not particularly agile as older people might be, it's almost necessary to have someone help lift you out. If the mum was post-natal depressed, shere worn out, without help, an absent or useless husband/ partner, it's not un-imaginable that this could have happened. I think some of us have been somewhere near to there. Without support and relief, child rearing can take a great toll.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 09.05.13 14:14

Not as simple as she reported it. More than meet the eyes.
Let's wait and see.
The Police will charge her, if not for a more serious crime, then at least for negligence and derelict of duty to her children.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 09.05.13 14:18

@bobbin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

UNQUOTE

It is possible, if it were something like a shower/ hip bath, that the level rose and the children were unable to climb out.
The injuries would be consistent with being suspended / floating in the water, slipping and falling when trying to get over the edge. It could also be possible that the mess or plug in the plug hole was dislodged by a child's foot in the struggle and the water would then flow. I know it's unlikely, but a relative of mine does have a sitz-bath and it's like a coffin. It's ghastly. If you're not particularly agile as older people might be, it's almost necessary to have someone help lift you out. If the mum was post-natal depressed, shere worn out, without help, an absent or useless husband/ partner, it's not un-imaginable that this could have happened. I think some of us have been somewhere near to there. Without support and relief, child rearing can take a great toll.

I can only say any responsible mum no matter how exhausted wouldnt leave two toddlers in the bathtub (presuming the shower is over the bath) and then went off to bed knowing the 10-month couldnt get out no matter what. The 10-month is probably not walking yet. Besides, the 2-year is capable of switching on the hot tap so what was she thinking when she left them alone in the shower. She was endangering them

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 09.05.13 14:19

I'd assumed that this happened recently in America but it's actually Australia in November 2008. More information here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317211/Perth-mother-Miranda-Hebble-slept-children-died-shower-exhausted.html

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 15:37

@bobbin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

UNQUOTE

You make some good points bobbin, but I go with Tony on this one. As a single mum of three with an eleven day old, I'm fairly sleep deprived (and was for weeks before too). I am tardy in replying to emails perhaps, and I may not get all the washing up done, but to me its just in no way feasible she would leave such young babbies in a shower then sit/lie down. My new son had his first bath yesterday (in a bath seat) but I didn't leave him once.

The crucial part is that after 10 hours a clogged shower WOULD overflow and unless it was a wetroom type bathroom there would be a big flood!

Nope, as far as I can see like Tony says, more holes than a sieve liar

R.I.P little ones roses

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 15:40

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:I'd assumed that this happened recently in America but it's actually Australia in November 2008. More information here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317211/Perth-mother-Miranda-Hebble-slept-children-died-shower-exhausted.html
Oops! Maybe I should have put it in the crime section!
I wonder what the outcome was?

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 09.05.13 16:38

Maybe she's a medical condition she isn't aware of.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 on 09.05.13 16:47

What I find odd is that she left the two kids in the bathroom with the shower on and then left the bathroom and SHUT THE DOOR.
Who does that? If she had to pop out to get a towel or a nappy, say she wouldn't close the door - anyone would leave the door open and run to get a towel or whatever and run back just in case.
But to actually shut 2 kids in a bathroom with a shower going and then fall asleep for ten hours, she's not even saying she blacked out or hit her head or collapsed but that she fell asleep.!!!
Those poor kids, unable to get out of the bathroom, what a horrible, terrifying ordeal for them. The mother must be mentally sick, that's all I can think of.

Casey5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 18:22

@Casey5 wrote:What I find odd is that she left the two kids in the bathroom with the shower on and then left the bathroom and SHUT THE DOOR.
Who does that? If she had to pop out to get a towel or a nappy, say she wouldn't close the door - anyone would leave the door open and run to get a towel or whatever and run back just in case.
But to actually shut 2 kids in a bathroom with a shower going and then fall asleep for ten hours, she's not even saying she blacked out or hit her head or collapsed but that she fell asleep.!!!
Those poor kids, unable to get out of the bathroom, what a horrible, terrifying ordeal for them. The mother must be mentally sick, that's all I can think of.
Agreed Casey5 yes
You just wouldn't shut that door, no way, no how. This is about as believable to me as K+G locking their apartment in daytimes to protect 'valuables' yet not in the evenings, leaving what should be the most valuables of all unprotected.
In other words, I think its a load of horse, um dung winkwink

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 09.05.13 18:37

I want to make an observation about the items marked in red below:

Plebgate wrote:

Casey5 wrote:

What I find odd is that she left the two kids in the bathroom with the shower on and then left the bathroom and SHUT THE DOOR. Who does that? If she had to pop out to get a towel
or a nappy, say she wouldn't close the door - anyone would leave the door open and run to get a towel or whatever and run back just in case. But to actually shut 2 kids in a bathroom with a shower going and then fall asleep for ten hours, she's not even saying she blacked out or hit her head or collapsed but that she fell asleep.!!!

Bobbin wrote:

It is possible, if it were something like a shower/ hip bath, that the level rose and the children were unable to climb out. The injuries would be consistent with being suspended / floating in the water, slipping and falling when trying to get over the edge. It could also be possible that the mess or plug in the plug hole was dislodged by a child's foot
in the struggle and the water would then flow.
I know it's unlikely, but a relative of mine does have a sitz-bath and it's like a coffin. It's ghastly. If you're not particularly agile as older people might be, it's almost necessary to have someone help lift you out. If the mum was post-natal depressed, shere worn out, without help, an absent or useless husband/ partner,
it's not un-imaginable that this could have happened. I think some of us have been somewhere near to there. Without support and relief, child rearing can take a great toll.

aiyoyo wrote:

Besides, the 2-year is capable of switching on the hot tap so what was she thinking when she left them alone in the shower. She was endangering them.

Now we have this from the mother:

Hebble told police her shower had accidentally gotten plugged up. She found Malachi floating with bruises on his cheek, and Lochlan on the bathroom floor with a scratch on his forehead, marks on his belly, and blood coming out of his mouth.

++++++++++++++++++++++

The point about all this that we only have the mother’s account that the children were ever in the shower at all.

Something else may very well have occurred earlier that she wanted to conceal - and therefore she may have PLACED them in the bathroom, maybe after they were already dead. Or she deliberately drowned them.

It is only an assumption, based entirely on what the mother has told the police, that the children were ever ‘put in the shower’ as she claims.

Moreover, the accidental ‘plugging’ of the plughole sounds unlikely in the extreme.

In the case of Stuart Lubbock’s death, I started out by bring told that Stuart had been ‘found in the swimming pool’. There were elaborate stories of him swimming around happily and diving in etc. It was only after months of enquiries and research that it eventually dawned on me that he COULD NOT have been in the pool at all. Then everything began to fall into place. It was an elaborate cover-story based on Stuart being found by the ambulance team very wet and by the side of the pool. No-one at the time questioned the witnesses who all insisted (though with wildly different and changing accounts) that they had just rescued him from the pool.

Similarly, in the Lee Balkwell case, was he found trapped between the drum and the chassis of a cement-mixer because of a freak accident at 1.00am? The more you examine the evidence, the clearer it becomes that this was no accident, and that Lee was placed there.

So many elements of this mother’s story suggest that she has worked out a cunning cover story to try and fool the police.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 19:04

@aiyoyo wrote:Maybe she's a medical condition she isn't aware of.
Well, two things strike me after reading the 'sparkles' article re the inquest:

1)Either she has got away with the ultimate crime OR

2)She does indeed have an undiagnosed medical condition. She certainly seems to lose track of time easily, is chaotic and distractible - ADHD springs to mind having personal experience of ADD/ADHD. She seems pretty severe though, and it normally causes you to be 'wired' even when tired BUT it could be petit mal (absence epilepsy) or narcolepsy. None seem to 'fit' though..... The photo in the article she looks like she's on downer drugs (off her head in fact)

I just don't know. Why would she have PLIERS in her vanity??? Tweezers maybe but she must've had some heavy duty hairs :laughata:

All I do know is my <3 breaks for those little boys

ETA: Is it normal for an inquest to take five YEARS?

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 09.05.13 19:11

@Tony Bennett wrote:I want to make an observation about the items marked in red below:

Plebgate wrote:

Casey5 wrote:

What I find odd is that she left the two kids in the bathroom with the shower on and then left the bathroom and SHUT THE DOOR. Who does that? If she had to pop out to get a towel
or a nappy, say she wouldn't close the door - anyone would leave the door open and run to get a towel or whatever and run back just in case. But to actually shut 2 kids in a bathroom with a shower going and then fall asleep for ten hours, she's not even saying she blacked out or hit her head or collapsed but that she fell asleep.!!!

Bobbin wrote:

It is possible, if it were something like a shower/ hip bath, that the level rose and the children were unable to climb out. The injuries would be consistent with being suspended / floating in the water, slipping and falling when trying to get over the edge. It could also be possible that the mess or plug in the plug hole was dislodged by a child's foot
in the struggle and the water would then flow.
I know it's unlikely, but a relative of mine does have a sitz-bath and it's like a coffin. It's ghastly. If you're not particularly agile as older people might be, it's almost necessary to have someone help lift you out. If the mum was post-natal depressed, shere worn out, without help, an absent or useless husband/ partner,
it's not un-imaginable that this could have happened. I think some of us have been somewhere near to there. Without support and relief, child rearing can take a great toll.

aiyoyo wrote:

Besides, the 2-year is capable of switching on the hot tap so what was she thinking when she left them alone in the shower. She was endangering them.

Now we have this from the mother:

Hebble told police her shower had accidentally gotten plugged up. She found Malachi floating with bruises on his cheek, and Lochlan on the bathroom floor with a scratch on his forehead, marks on his belly, and blood coming out of his mouth.

++++++++++++++++++++++

The point about all this that we only have the mother’s account that the children were ever in the shower at all.

Something else may very well have occurred earlier that she wanted to conceal - and therefore she may have PLACED them in the bathroom, maybe after they were already dead. Or she deliberately drowned them.

It is only an assumption, based entirely on what the mother has told the police, that the children were ever ‘put in the shower’ as she claims.

Moreover, the accidental ‘plugging’ of the plughole sounds unlikely in the extreme.

In the case of Stuart Lubbock’s death, I started out by bring told that Stuart had been ‘found in the swimming pool’. There were elaborate stories of him swimming around happily and diving in etc. It was only after months of enquiries and research that it eventually dawned on me that he COULD NOT have been in the pool at all. Then everything began to fall into place. It was an elaborate cover-story based on Stuart being found by the ambulance team very wet and by the side of the pool. No-one at the time questioned the witnesses who all insisted (though with wildly different and changing accounts) that they had just rescued him from the pool.

Similarly, in the Lee Balkwell case, was he found trapped between the drum and the chassis of a cement-mixer because of a freak accident at 1.00am? The more you examine the evidence, the clearer it becomes that this was no accident, and that Lee was placed there.

So many elements of this mother’s story suggest that she has worked out a cunning cover story to try and fool the police.

Tony, once again I agree. I just don't believe this woman's story at all. Way too contrived.
I have read your analysis of the Lubbock case; I can't fault it. You are sharp, perceptive and incisive.
No different here.
Must admit I've not read the Balkwell case, could you point me in the right direction please?

Most definitely this has all the hallmarks of a carefully (though not carefully enough) constructed story.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 09.05.13 22:11

@rainbow-fairy

First things first, congratulations on your new arrival.

A summary of the Independent Police Complaints Commission report on the flawed Essex Police investigation into Lee's death is here:

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/Pages/pr_300112_balkwell.aspx?auto=True&l1link=pages%2Fnews.aspx&l1title=News%20and%20press&l2link=news%2FPages%2Fdefault.aspx&l2title=Press%20Releases

That link will take you to the full report if you have time to read it, though I doubt if you will have time just now.

The IPCC report was helpful as far as it went.

But their explanation for the misconduct and flawed investigations was that the officers (most of them of senior rank on huge salaries) were 'incompetent'.

Mr Balkwell and I have never bought that.

We are sure that the police's actions were corrupt.

Many of the officers involved in what we say is the 'Balkwell cover-up' used to meet every Thursday afternoon at their favourite Southend-on-Sea Freemasons Lodge.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 10.05.13 10:09

@rainbow-fairy wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:Maybe she's a medical condition she isn't aware of.
Well, two things strike me after reading the 'sparkles' article re the inquest:

1)Either she has got away with the ultimate crime OR

2)She does indeed have an undiagnosed medical condition. She certainly seems to lose track of time easily, is chaotic and distractible - ADHD springs to mind having personal experience of ADD/ADHD. She seems pretty severe though, and it normally causes you to be 'wired' even when tired BUT it could be petit mal (absence epilepsy) or narcolepsy. None seem to 'fit' though..... The photo in the article she looks like she's on downer drugs (off her head in fact)

I just don't know. Why would she have PLIERS in her vanity??? Tweezers maybe but she must've had some heavy duty hairs :laughata:

All I do know is my <3 breaks for those little boys

ETA: Is it normal for an inquest to take five YEARS?

Retrieval of her medical records would show whether or not she's a medical condition.
Her story seems contrived, but forensics would to be able conclude the cause of her children's death, and the truth will out.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 10.05.13 12:09

@Tony Bennett wrote:@rainbow-fairy

First things first, congratulations on your new arrival.

A summary of the Independent Police Complaints Commission report on the flawed Essex Police investigation into Lee's death is here:

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/Pages/pr_300112_balkwell.aspx?auto=True&l1link=pages%2Fnews.aspx&l1title=News%20and%20press&l2link=news%2FPages%2Fdefault.aspx&l2title=Press%20Releases

That link will take you to the full report if you have time to read it, though I doubt if you will have time just now.

The IPCC report was helpful as far as it went.

But their explanation for the misconduct and flawed investigations was that the officers (most of them of senior rank on huge salaries) were 'incompetent'.

Mr Balkwell and I have never bought that.

We are sure that the police's actions were corrupt.

Many of the officers involved in what we say is the 'Balkwell cover-up' used to meet every Thursday afternoon at their favourite Southend-on-Sea Freemasons Lodge.

Thank you very much Tony roses I take it you got my pm.
I do confess that that the Lee Balkwell case passed me by; this will be good reading for me!
Will bookmark this page for when young -un is a little less erm, hungry :laughata: though in fairness I do read quickly!

Thank you again for your good wishes. You are a true gentleman howdy

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.12.13 14:31

Bumping this story as the current one about twins in the bath has reminded me of it.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum