The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:10 am

William Hague defends taxpayer money for Thatcher funeral

William Hague has defended the cost of Baroness Thatcher's funeral, saying the UK can "afford" to contribute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22086690

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

If the conservative party want a ceremonial funeral why don't they make a very substantial contribution to the costs from party funds? After all it could be argued that Mrs. Thatcher's legacy to the conservative party was very valuable.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 am

Hague another failed leader. Who takes any notice of him?

Spend the public's money but save some money of his own by sharing a bedroom with one of his advisors.

Well when the poor are being taxed because they have spare bedrooms there is now spare money in the kitty.

I am watching sky news which is reporting that the Parliamentary accounts committee have confirmed that any MP who has to come back from overseas to pay tribute to her will be able to claim a maximum of £3,750 for their trouble.

That's right up to £3,750 - first class all the way maties!!!!!!

If they want to pay tribute text a message. Far cheaper.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
Rolling Eyes

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am

It seems the UK taxpayer will be forking out for 'bums on seats' (no pun intended) to ramp up the ceremony.

I despair. When a loved one, a friend or a colleague dies and we attend their funeral it is surely our own decision and at our own cost. I don't seem to remember putting in a claim form for attending the funeral of an ex colleague.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am

I was wondering when the Hillsborough Support Group were going were going to speak, here they are

Margaret Thatcher dead: Hillsborough mum says minute's silence at Liverpool game would be "an insult and a disgrace"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-dead-hillsborough-mum-1821879

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Now that Baroness Thatcher has passed away we have wall to wall politicians (many of whom are the same ones who unceremoniously dumped her) singing her praises as if she was some kind of latter day saint - how they love to honour their own, much like Nick Clegg on Cyril Smith - but the multi millionaire Tories don’t want to put their hands in their own pockets for her funeral, they want the hard pressed public to pay for it. If they wish to give Thatcher a lavish £10 million funeral they should club together and pay for it themselves. The Tories are once again decimating the country with their cuts whilst at the same time slashing taxes for the rich - why should the suffering public pay out to honour a Tory politician who imo caused nothing but misery and division.

The Tories say that criticism of an old lady is disrespectful (I agree that some of it is) should remember the grotesque vilification of the Hillsborough dead - that happened under Thatcher’s watch. I don't agree with those who are celebrating her death but - unlike the 96 men, women and children who died at Hillsborough - she lived a long and productive life and is largely honoured in death. The mainly young victims of Hillsborough who lost their lives prematurely were denied even a modicum of respect from anyone - politicians, media or the police. In fact they were blamed for their own demise and the survivors, several of whom subsequently committed suicide, were accused, amongst other things, of urinating on the bodies of the deceased.

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

My sentiments exactly tasprin, Thatcher and her accomplices didn't have any respect for those who died or their families, so why should she be given any respect.

I think I'm going to download Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 pm

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:It's already on its way to Number 1!

[url=http://news.sky.com/story/1076197/margaret-thatcher-ding-dong-climbs-charts
http://news.sky.com/story/1076197/margaret-thatcher-ding-dong-climbs-charts[/quote[/url]]

Thanks for that NFWTDA, hope it does gets to number 1

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 pm

@aquila wrote:It seems the UK taxpayer will be forking out for 'bums on seats' (no pun intended) to ramp up the ceremony.

I despair. When a loved one, a friend or a colleague dies and we attend their funeral it is surely our own decision and at our own cost. I don't seem to remember putting in a claim form for attending the funeral of an ex colleague.

In this current climate of austerity, a grand state funeral at great expense to the taxpayers is taking the piss, especially when she'd expressed she does not want a state funeral. Kudo to her she was a frugal woman who also had the foresight and wisdom to see no point in wasting that kind of money. Why can't they respect her wish? What is the government trying to prove, or are they setting a precedence for when their time comes?

If reports are believable that her children who are both abroad wont be returning for her funeral wake, but will return for her sent off, then that is very odd indded. What kind of children can't be arsed to come back to see to the funeral arrangements, to be there for their mum, and to show appreciation to the people who will show up to pay respect and tribute to their mum. If this is indicative of the sort of relationships between her and her children, then it is a sad tale.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Snipped from the Guardian - worth a read
by Russell Brand
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher
'The blunt, pathetic reality today is that a little old lady has died, who in the winter of her life had to water roses alone under police supervision. If you behave like there's no such thing as society, in the end there isn't. Her death must be sad for the handful of people she was nice to and the rich people who got richer under her stewardship. It isn't sad for anyone else. There are pangs of nostalgia, yes, because for me she's all tied up with Hi-De-Hi and Speak and Spell and Blockbusters and "follow the bear". What is more troubling is my inability to ascertain where my own selfishness ends and her neo-liberal inculcation begins
All of us that grew up under Thatcher were taught that it is good to be selfish, that other people's pain is not your problem, that pain is in fact a weakness and suffering is deserved and shameful. Perhaps there is resentment because the clemency and respect that are being mawkishly displayed now by some and haughtily demanded of the rest of us at the impending, solemn ceremonial funeral, are values that her government and policies sought to annihilate.
I can't articulate with the skill of either of "the Marks" – Steel or Thomas – why Thatcher and Thatcherism were so bad for Britain but I do recall that even to a child her demeanour and every discernible action seemed to be to the detriment of our national spirit and identity. Her refusal to stand against apartheid, her civil war against the unions, her aggression towards our neighbours in Ireland and a taxation system that was devised in the dark ages, the bombing of a retreating ship – it's just not British.
I do not yet know what effect Margaret Thatcher has had on me as an individual or on the character of our country as we continue to evolve. As a child she unnerved me but we are not children now and we are free to choose our own ethical codes and leaders that reflect them.'

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm

According to the BBC this is the first time the Queen will attend a Prime Ministers funeral since Winston Churchill. Here is a list of 'notable invitees'

NOTABLE INVITEES

• The Queen
  • All surviving ex-prime ministers
  • All surviving US presidents
  • All surviving members of Lady Thatcher's cabinets
  • Current cabinet
  • Labour leader Ed Miliband
  • Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond
  • Michael and Carolyn Portillo
  • FW de Klerk
  • Dame Shirley Bassey
  • Jeremy Clarkson
  • Terry Wogan
  • Lord and Lady Lloyd Webber
  • Lord and Lady Archer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22103866

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I think it is very hypocritical of the surviving cabinet members to attend. Wasn't it most of them who turned on her. Portillo was another wasn't he. Interesting to see if Jeffrey Howe attends as he is widely believed to be the man who finally did for her so to speak.

Are they giving the Nation a day off? I have no idea.

I saw her son on tv last night. Stood there giving his speech. He can't even enter America because of the coup he was involved in and they really think we look up and take notice of THEM. Get real.

I do like Shirley Bassey though. She has earned her position, worked very hard for what she has imo.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Isn't it irony that every ex of all sorts from ministers to PMs, to foreign presidents, to A listers etc all want to send her off.
Yet, during her winter years desperately needing help, not many (if any at all) of these lots went to visit, help or comfort her.

All these hypocritical people are just going through the motion and delight in the chance to rub shoulders with all the other equally or more 'important' people, a once in a life time or ten life times opportunity, never to be repeated again.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Good post Aiyoyo and they will all be only too delighted to courtesy and bow to their majesties. ha ha.

Never mind they'll be on telay with their deeply sad faces in place.

I was reading that MT had a fortune of 10 million and her son has 60 million. Why can't it be paid for out of their pockets?

Hague saying she had got a rebate of 75 billion may be right but it is the taxpayers money that was wrongly taken, so why should any of it be spent on her funeral?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Why is there not a single politician during Thatcher's governance and in the 23 years since that would consider selling off the BBC?

Everything else has been 'sold off'.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Patten is glad it wasn't sold off. he would only have 12 jobs now if he hadn't been given the very lucrative job of Chairman.

How can he possibly have 13 very well paid jobs/directorships. Coining it in. They are having a laugh.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 pm

@aquila wrote:Why is there not a single politician during Thatcher's governance and in the 23 years since that would consider selling off the BBC?

Everything else has been 'sold off'.

Then they will have no platform for their voice, nor executives who suck up to their arses and do their biddings. Imagine the likes of Murdoch or Desmond or even some bloody PRC Chinese or Russian buying it over. Politicians need press and media on side if they were to succeed.
Selling off railway service is something else since politicians do not rely on public transport to get around.
I suspect if they think they can get away they will sell off NHS.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 pm

I am saddened by the celebrations of the death of an old lady who was not even in power at the time of her death. My heart goes out to her children and grandchildren who must be traumatised by it. I'm left thinking about populations in the history of this country who cried 'burn the witch' during the 14th/15th century and watched the burnings with pleasure. I'm left thinking about present day BSL laws and I'm left thinking that many people in this country are entertained by something bad happening to others.

Those who are out celebrating the death of this individual - can they not empathise with her family and wonder how they would feel themselves if a person they loved died and hundreds/thousands? of people celebrated their mother's death?

This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:52 am

Wait till Blair and Brown and Mandleson die. Then there will really be a party.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:07 am

Apparently the the funeral arrangements were planned two years ago, celebrities invited;

Joan Collins, Sir David Frost, Sir Tim Rice, Sir Terry Wogan, Dame Shirley Bassey, Sir James Savile, Jeremy Clarkson, Frederick Forsyth, Dr Liam Fox, and Lord and Lady Lloyd Webber.

Wonder if their going to dig Saville up?

One of the hymns she had chosen is "I vow to the my country" this was a hymn Diana chose on her marriage to Charles.

Fingers down throat time for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Odd. How did they know the "invitees" are going to outlive her? Sir James Savile didnt.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:33 pm

@aiyoyo wrote:Odd. How did they know the "invitees" are going to outlive her? Sir James Savile didnt.

Heard on the news a while ago arangments had been made up to eight years ago, suppose if any of the invitees died before her they would be struck off the list.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm

@PeterMac wrote:Wait till Blair and Brown and Mandleson die. Then there will really be a party.

Could hold the party at Elm House, oh dear forgot it's closed down.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum