The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Post by aquila on 17.04.13 7:01

Margaret Thatcher is being given a national funeral service today. I was going to say 'burial' but apparently she's being cremated. I don't understand why whether you love or hate her role in British history why there is a need to almost cannonise her with a 'stately' funeral.

Mrs Thatcher did a job. She did the job she loved. She was given a title. She died without her family, her friends or the dignataries attending the funeral today around her.

I simply can't see why there isn't just a private funeral with dignity and respect for her as a human being. That would be a good legacy.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 17.04.13 8:11

You are not alone Aquila, in thinking that.

A private funeral with family and friends, followed by a public Memorial service at some later dated, would have been the most respectful and fitting.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

funeral

Post by joyce1938 on 17.04.13 16:52

Hi all , i have an idea that the funeral was probably planned a long time ago ? before cameren came to power ,its rarely left till just before for such a large on would never get it planned as well as it would need to be joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.04.13 22:59

Whatever anyone thinks of Margaret Thatcher's politics, I think the funeral was beautiful - it was emotional, it was stately, it was precision with all the pomp and ceremony that only the Brits can carry out. And, of course, the Royal Marines band was there. Maybe the funeral was too lavish for these times of austerity but Baroness Thatcher was our longest serving Prime Minister for 150 years; she was our only female Prime Minister and the Argentinians love her for what she did. I know a lot of British people resent her for what she did to this country but today I didn't think of her as being a politician but thought of her as just a person with a grieving family.

Amanda Thatcher, the 19 year old granddaughter of Margaret Thatcher did a fantastic job with her speech.

Carol Thatcher and her Brother lost their mother and the front page of the Daily Mail shows Carol's raw emotion.

I, for one, don't resent Baroness Thatcher's funeral even though I was no fan of hers.

But I just hope that Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron do not get the same!

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 18.04.13 0:44

And people argue that she divided the Nation.
Perhaps she did.
Into those who believe that trying to disrupt a funeral is acceptable, and those who do not.

What was interesting is how few of the loonies turned out. A couple of far-left teachers with surprisingly well made banners, (spelled correctly !) hardly made it a demo, however hard the BBC tried to portray it as such.
Essentially the British are just that - British - and there are still some limits beyond which they will not go.
Perhaps now we should start a new thread on what Mrs Thatcher achieved, what she did not, the good, bad, and ugly sides of her and her government's policies and actions, away from discussion of her final illness and her funeral.
I think it might be interesting, and there are many articles in the papers to draw on.
I declare my interest.
I was a PC when we got a 48% pay rise as a result of the Edmond-Davies review into Police pay and conditions.
Up to then I had been earning less than £ 100 a month. (1975) [About 700 - 800 in today's money]
And that included the Additional Paid Rest Day because you can't divide 7 days times 3 shifts - into 4, so we got one shift per month on "overtime" .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18.04.13 7:07

PeterMac, please feel free to start a thread and get that debate started......

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 18.04.13 10:14

I`m just thankful we are still allowed to protest, particularly against establishment actions. Just imagine if this were North Korea ! We would be exterminated just for having our own thoughts. The only thing I would have protested against would have been the ridiculous expense and canonisation of a person who was just doing her job. Mind you, I do love the British pageants - its seeing the lovely horses - I did note that one horse kept trying to bite his/her partner ! Naughty horse !

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 18.04.13 14:35

@Woofer wrote:I`m just thankful we are still allowed to protest, particularly against establishment actions. Just imagine if this were North Korea ! We would be exterminated just for having our own thoughts. . . .
One brave man has been exterminated by the McCanns already.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum