The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on 08.04.13 13:08

Baroness Thatcher has died at the age of 87 after suffering a stroke, her spokesman Lord Bell has announced.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.

"A further statement will be made later."

More here....

http://news.sky.com/story/1075292/margaret-thatcher-dies-after-stroke

Back to top Go down

Re: Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Post by tigger on 08.04.13 13:49

candyfloss wrote:Margaret Thatcher Dies After Stroke

Baroness Thatcher has died at the age of 87 after suffering a stroke, her spokesman Lord Bell has announced.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning.

"A further statement will be made later."

More here....

http://news.sky.com/story/1075292/margaret-thatcher-dies-after-stroke

Glad to see she's getting a state funeral and Cameron has cancelled his tête a tête with Hollande. - MT gave all her income as PM to charity and was content with a largish house after retiring, not a Blair stately home... a grocer's daughter she may have been, but she had class.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The End Is Nigh on 08.04.13 14:01

A truly wonderful woman, not only as the best Peacetime Prime Minister we've ever had (or are ever likely to have) but on a personal level too.

The End Is Nigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 08.04.13 14:08

Not too bad as a wartime Prime Minister either.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The End Is Nigh on 08.04.13 14:37

True - some of us were Serving, then.

The End Is Nigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thatcher

Post by Peneda Geres on 08.04.13 14:50

Not too bad as a wartime Prime Minister either.

Well said Peter Mac.

Lets not forget the misery this woman caused to millions in this country, the woman who created the dependency of benefits culture that we see today. Her government who positively encouraged the unemployed to get on sickness benefits and DLA in order to disguise the true unemployment figures.

Peneda Geres

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 08.04.13 15:00

Can't understand those celebrating on facebook, much as I detested the woman's politics and decided she was a megalomaniac. The woman was a mother and her family are grieving, and she has not been in any position of power for years. I could not be that disrespectful or unkind, despite hating everything she stood for when I was a young student. There are those who will never forgive her for her actions, and I agree with Nick Robinson, you could not be indifferent towards her. You either admired her greatly or disliked her intensely. The latter was and still is my standpoint, but I sympathise with those who are mourning her death.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 on 08.04.13 17:52

at least with mts thatcher what you saw was what you got ,no messy lies to cover up just about every thing that could be with another pm we could name ,it als o gave some a chance to buy the older council houses and it was the problem of no building for years that caused the trouble with not housing to rent today ,who do we blame ?there isnt just one person .joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snifferdog on 08.04.13 18:55

Mrs Thatcher is no different to all the other politicians who get voted in to do the bidding of big business and the bankers....was or was not her cabinet full of paedophiles and she sure loved having jimmy saVile around. Such good friends! She must have known. Dying does not make one a better person.

Snifferdog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 on 08.04.13 20:14

The problem with the sale of council houses was that councils were forbidden from using the revenue from them on building new ones.
That's precisely the short-sighted, mean-spirited attitude that has given rise to a massive shortage of affordable social housing and the huge increase in housing benefit having to be paid to the landlords of private accommodation who charge vastly inflated rents for their property.
Thatcher artificially reduced the unemployment figures by encouraging thousands to sign on for sickness benefit and incapacity benefit.
Well, there weren't many jobs to be had after she decimated our industries but at least the police got lots of overtime in so it wasn't all bad.

Casey5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thatcher

Post by Peneda Geres on 08.04.13 23:18

IIRC the police were one of the few public services who were given disproportionate wage rises during her tenure as PM....I WONDER WHY?

Peneda Geres

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 08.04.13 23:48

1989-1990 - mortgage rates of 15% and trying to introduce a poll tax. The country was for turning!

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 09.04.13 0:05

@Casey5 wrote:The problem with the sale of council houses was that councils were forbidden from using the revenue from them on building new ones.
That's precisely the short-sighted, mean-spirited attitude that has given rise to a massive shortage of affordable social housing and the huge increase in housing benefit having to be paid to the landlords of private accommodation who charge vastly inflated rents for their property.
Thatcher artificially reduced the unemployment figures by encouraging thousands to sign on for sickness benefit and incapacity benefit.
Well, there weren't many jobs to be had after she decimated our industries but at least the police got lots of overtime in so it wasn't all bad.

I don't think Council Houses should have been sold. At the time they were being sold there was another scheme that was not well advertised for Housing Association Tenants. You couldn't buy a Housing Association House so there was a Scheme called the Tenants Incentive Scheme.
You were helped with your deposit to buy your own house. That is how I got my first house. I was working and paid full rent, so I could afford the repayments on a mortgage, I just couldn't afford a deposit.
They should have done that for Council Tenants instead of giving them a discount on buying their Council House.
At least now there would be Social Housing available for those that need it and we wouldnt have a massive Housing benefit bill paid to private landlords.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin on 09.04.13 0:35

@Peneda Geres wrote:IIRC the police were one of the few public services who were given disproportionate wage rises during her tenure as PM....I WONDER WHY?

Police pay and conditions were negotiated under the preceding Labour government.

Martin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thatcher

Post by Peneda Geres on 09.04.13 0:42

@Martin wrote:
@Peneda Geres wrote:IIRC the police were one of the few public services who were given disproportionate wage rises during her tenure as PM....I WONDER WHY?

Police pay and conditions were negotiated under the preceding Labour government.

Think you ought to check your facts.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/3674891/Thatcher_kept_the_police_onside/

Peneda Geres

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 09.04.13 0:52

@Martin wrote:

Arthur Scargill is a bit pissed off now he's not got a rent free home in London.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/arthur-scargill-ordered-to-pay-rent-as-he-loses-fight-to-have-union-pay-for-london-flat-for-life-8428774.html

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin on 09.04.13 1:31

@Peneda Geres wrote:
@Martin wrote:

Think you ought to check your facts.

[url=http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/3674891/Thatcher_kept_the_police_onside/
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/3674891/Thatcher_kept_the_police_onside/[/quote[/url]]

That article mentions that the Thatcher government immediately implemented the Edmund Davies agreement, but fails to mention that it was negotiated under the previous Labour government. The incoming Tories merely introduced it sooner than Labour had intended.

Martin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 09.04.13 1:38

Info on strategy and police pay increases during Thatcher's tenure.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/3674891/Thatcher_kept_the_police_onside/

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 09.04.13 6:16

During her tenure, she denationalised every institution that matters as fundamental services to the people, an important element that any accountable government should not have relinquished.
Her radical privatisation and institution/industry sell off left the country relying heavily on service industry (especially that of banking) and that's part of the reason this country is in such a mess.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 09.04.13 6:27

I did respect her as a woman who rose to the top of political power, which in turn inspired woman to think if she can do it so can I, after saying that I disliked her intensly for dividing the nation into those who have and those who have not.

I also remember her has "Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher"

This is a speach by Neil Kinnock in Bridgend before the 1983 election

If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you. I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment. I warn you that you will have ignorance – when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right. I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can't pay. I warn you that you will be cold – when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don't notice and the poor can't afford.
I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies. I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light. I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient. I warn you that you will have defence of a sort – with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding. I warn you that you will be home-bound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up. I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.
If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday, I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old.

Re anyoyo, I certainly agree with all your comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 09.04.13 6:38

@aiyoyo wrote:During her tenure, she denationalised every institution that matters as fundamental services to the people, an important element that any accountable government should not have relinquished.
Her radical privatisation and institution/industry sell off left the country relying heavily on service industry (especially that of banking) and that's part of the reason this country is in such a mess.

The industry was in a mess because pretty well every ground breaking invention (and the British are VERY good at inventions - jet engine, hoover craft, vertical landing/take off etc) was never developed in the UK. There was plenty of money after the war (Marshall aid) but every time the plans were simply sold for short-term gain to the US and other countries. Shipbuilding and steel industries were always going to go down because Japan and other countries were taking over. Sweden's steel industry was superior to that of the UK anyway.
Trade unions paralysed the remaining industries. There's a good reason why foreign cars were popular - MG, Rover, etc. all started to make rubbish. The industries were always going to go down from 1945 onwards unless someone with a brain had done something about it.
Rotterdam (bombed to rubble) became the most important port in no time - I saw a documentary once comparing London/Tilbury and Rotterdam. Guess what, the workers in Rotterdam had three 8 hour shifts, good cafe's, shower rooms etc. Only an 8 hour day in London docks, no facilities for the workers and no weekend shifts. No competition for other ports which were open round the clock every day of the year.

Wilson was a disastrous PM, devaluing the pound to an extend that it's never recovered. All that done by Labour governments - Healy might have been a better PM than Wilson but never got the chance. Heath was another disastrous PM.
Meanwhile Labour built tower blocks instead of terraced housing which had worked perfectly, enhancing community feeling. Social engineering at its worst.
When Thatcher took over we'd had Callaghan who wouldn't recognise a crisis if it bit him. Of course she did a lot of things wrong, she would jolly well have stemmed the rising tide of non working asylum seekers/economic refugees.
She stopped the Ira hunger strikers by not standing in their way if they choose to die, consequently the Ira dropped the whole thing. Scargill was a crook who ousted the last true Labour trade union leader, Joe Gormley. One might not agree with him but the man was genuine.

Sorry for this rant, but I've seen it happen from the outside and the inside and have had other countries to compare. I heard of a Whitehall mandarin, who'd worked for both Shirley Williams and Margaret Thatcher, that Williams would listen very sympathetically to his advice, talked it over with him and never implemented it. Thatcher would give him five minutes and he found that she often did follow his advice.

The problems that Thatcher gets blamed for aren't all of her making. Some go back a long time and in 1979 the IMF was ruling Britain, not Britains.
Labour have never like the workers, that's why they re-branded as 'New Labour' and in general have preferred to promote the 'block vote', denying the individual his own opinion.
Electricity and gas services were comically bad and why was Labour allowing them to advertise at a cost to the taxpayer? Why advertise a nationalised industry? BT had the monopoly on telephones and could charge what they liked for an extra line or socket in the house. Their shares were floated on the market at a very low price and in such a way that pretty well everybody could buy some. She thought that giving everybody a stake in the country they'd be more enterprising themselves.
Can't understand why Kinnock is seen as a lost opportunity, never had a job in his life, was given a European job where a great amount of money disappeared into everyone's pockets - corruption to be sorted by Kinnock, never heard about it again. I do wonder how the UK would have fared with 11 years of Kinnock.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 09.04.13 7:56

Well said, tigger. People have forgotten how bad it was when Mrs T took over.

(ALSO Don't forget that Kinnock's wife AND his son were given gravy train jobs in the EU. What was that about corruption again ? You couldn't make it up.)

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The End Is Nigh on 09.04.13 8:44

Another thumbs-up Tigger.

Excellent fact-based counter to the inevitable Political free-for-all we've now got in this Topic, instead of the decent, respectful tribute to one of the most outstanding figures of our time that was intended.

The End Is Nigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 09.04.13 9:57

I haven't followed much of UK policy in those years, I must admit. And thus only "knew" her because of the Falkland war ... But with all of the news now freely available on internet, I watched a video last night of Thatcher addressing the House of Commons with a determination and superior WIT! - quite impressive ...

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum