The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The Independent, 15 March 2013: Should the British press be regulated statutory law?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Independent, 15 March 2013: Should the British press be regulated statutory law?

Post by ShuBob on 16.03.13 12:50

Mods please reformat this post. Thanks.

YES: Gerry McCann

What concerns me greatly is that a historic opportunity for press reform may be about to be squandered.

Lord Justice Leveson’s proposals were measured and modest. They didn’t go far enough in my view. But I and other victims of gross press misconduct were prepared to regard them as the minimum acceptable compromise.

We gave evidence to the inquiry so that some lasting good might come out of a horrendous experience.
We want our politicians to stand up for the ordinary victims instead of siding with the wealthy and powerful.
On Monday, it comes down to a binary choice: the newspaper barons or the people they abused in search of profit. Leveson or more of the same. It is as simple as that.

NO: Andreas Whittam Smith

In his righteous anger, Gerry McCann, the father of the missing Madeleine, misrepresents what is now at stake in Monday’s debate on press regulation in the House of Commons. Mr. McCann says: “On Monday, it comes down to a binary choice: the newspaper barons or the people they abused in search of profit. Leveson or more of the same. It is as simple as that.”

This is simplistic, I am afraid. In fact the debate has moved well beyond Mr. McCann’s formulation. The choice is now between three models of press regulation.

The first makes no place for legislation that bears on the press alone. The press should be subject to the laws of the land like everybody else – as it is – and should build onto this a tough system of self-regulation. Likewise the second model introduces no special press legislation but instead proposes a Royal Charter that would underpin self-regulation. This is the solution that the Prime Minister, David Cameron, favours. The third model, apparently well regarded by Labour and Lib Dems, would introduce some specific press laws.

But whichever of these models receives approval in Monday’s debate, the press finds itself in a significantly different place from where it was when the McCanns were so sorely mistreated by popular newspapers. Dozens of journalists are now facing trial for corrupt practices. This dreadful warning will not be ignored for many years to come. In addition, the new self-regulation body will be infinitely tougher than its predecessors. And as for the proprietors of the popular press, they don’t smell of roses, do they? Their rehabilitation in public esteem will also take a long time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/should-the-british-press-be-regulated-statutory-law-8536912.html

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Independent, 15 March 2013: Should the British press be regulated statutory law?

Post by russiandoll on 16.03.13 13:48

ever the egotist is Gerald " But I and other victims of gross press misconduct were prepared to regard them as the minimum acceptable compromise."

I note he excludes his wife here and places himself before not after the other people he refers to. Lousy English as usual.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Independent, 15 March 2013: Should the British press be regulated statutory law?

Post by plebgate on 16.03.13 14:03

@russiandoll wrote:ever the egotist is Gerald " But I and other victims of gross press misconduct were prepared to regard them as the minimum acceptable compromise."

I note he excludes his wife here and places himself before not after the other people he refers to. Lousy English as usual.

How very big of him, I am sure Leveson is very grateful to him for that.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.03.13 8:42

I see. When there's a scandal about a leaked internal Hacked-off memo, Gerry is nowhere to be seen or heard and Hugh Grant is the group's most high-profile campaigner ...

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.03.13 9:08

series of tweets copied:
Expand
10h sergei ‏@sergeimirkat
#HackedOff #Grant, a singularly talentless actor. #McCanns, parents of a missing child. Celebrities are made of camera friendly non-entities

11h sergei ‏@sergeimirkat
#HackedOff Why are a man with police record and a couple who have been police suspects for a crime allowed to lobby and bully politicians?

#HackedOff #Grant pleaded no contest, was fined $1,180, placed on 2 yr summary probation, ordered to complete an AIDS education programme.

#HackedOff On 27 June 1995, #Grant was arrested in an LA Vice police operation for misdemeanour lewd conduct in a public place

#HackedOff On 27 April 2007, Grant accepted undisclosed damages from the Associated Newspapers over claims made about his relationships

#HackedOff In 1996, #Grant won substantial damages from News (UK) Ltd over what his lawyers called a "highly defamatory" article

#HackedOff What is Hugh Grant's real agenda behind his bullying and misguided campaign against the press? Who else is behind the scene?

Unquote

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.03.13 10:07

Grant caught performing a lewd act in his car. Yuk. There is no way I would want to be seen as being associated with this man. No way.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 17.03.13 10:20

@plebgate wrote:Grant caught performing a lewd act in his car. Yuk. There is no way I would want to be seen as being associated with this man. No way.
yes but dont forget you have payne and gerry talking about twiddling nipples and sucking fingers,double YUK,fine bunch the hacked off brigade have rooting for them,

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 17.03.13 10:44

@tiny wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Grant caught performing a lewd act in his car. Yuk. There is no way I would want to be seen as being associated with this man. No way.
yes but dont forget you have payne and gerry talking about twiddling nipples and sucking fingers,double YUK,fine bunch the hacked off brigade have rooting for them,
I truly feel outraged and sad for the Dowlers. Twice they have been cheated, once losing their truly loved daughter and now their pain and loss being used as a cheapened bargaining tool by the sickest of all manipulators, the active 'hacked off' campaigners.
I would wish only that the Dowlers may turn round and say, outright, that they no longer support the "hijacked off" campaigners and that they find them even more dishonourable than can ever be imagined.
May the Dowlers find true peace somehow, in their loss.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 17.03.13 10:52

@bobbin wrote:
@tiny wrote:
I truly feel outraged and sad for the Dowlers. Twice they have been cheated, once losing their truly loved daughter and now their pain and loss being used as a cheapened bargaining tool by the sickest of all manipulators, the active 'hacked off' campaigners.
I would wish only that the Dowlers may turn round and say, outright, that they no longer support the "hijacked off" campaigners and that they find them even more dishonourable than can ever be imagined.
May the Dowlers find true peace somehow, in their loss.

I feel sorry for the Dowlers too Bobbin. Pawns in a game that has a sick agenda imo.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 17.03.13 13:14

well said bobbin.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum