The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Press regulation talks 'break down' **UPDATE** Deal now done

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Press regulation talks 'break down' **UPDATE** Deal now done

Post by plebgate on 22.03.13 9:44

@Angelique wrote:Not very up in regards to "Bills and adding on bits" but if this is the case they would have to run it through Parliament to get it through the Lords otherwise they won't be able to make " it stick" and the Press will just ignore it.

Or am I misunderstanding how our Governent operates now?

Last night on QT Mr. Gove(education) said that as a former journalist he did not agree with it but had voted for it because he thought Cameron should be supported or words to that effect.
Shows just how government operates to me.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 22.03.13 11:14

You wrote

Last night on QT Mr. Gove(education) said that as a former journalist he did not agree with it but had voted for it because he thought Cameron should be supported or words to that effect.
Shows just how government operates to me.[/quote]

plebgate

I see what you mean - so there was some sort of vote but presumably because it was "added on" it was not necessary to go through usual Parliamentary procedure. I can see how people are worried that this could lead to more "add ons" in the future!

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 22.03.13 11:47

Angelique my guess is as good as yours - I don't think anybody can make any sense out of all of it.

What bothers me is that Ministers go along with things they do not believe in so easily. No doubt there are those in the House of Lords who will do the same.

Freedom of Speech is a major issue and yet I think I saw that only 15 MPs voted NO.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 0:03

It seems 'hacked off' want to do a bit of re-writing already?? I thought it had all been agreed, now they want an ammendment...

Hacked Off calls for press regulation to exclude 'non-profit' publishers

Campaign group calls on parties to agree amendment to exclude loss-making bloggers and websites from exemplary damages

Hacked Off has called on all three political parties to agree an amendment to the proposed press regulation legislation excluding "non-profit publishers" from the scheme.

It would mean loss-making bloggers and websites would no longer risk exemplary damages if taken to court for libel or breaches of privacy

More here..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/22/hacked-off-press-regulation-amendment

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.03.13 8:12

Do you think Hacked Off's 'couple of threadbare lawyers' (Hugh Grant's description of them) might have had a few concerns as to members of Hacked Off who tweet, use facebook, blog, own/run websites?

Heaven forbid such channels of communication could be taken to task! (well not just yet anyway - there's always the option of amending things in the future).

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 23.03.13 8:22

Why are Hacked Off being allowed to dictate this issue. Who cares what amendments they want. They are a pressure group and since when did pressure groups decide the law???

I read that Granty boy is back in America. For those with money it seems they can enter and leave the country, wreak havoc with our Freedom of Speech and then start tweeting that amendments need to be made. That's what comes of having weak people as MPs. We need MPs who will put these slebs in their place. What has Granty boy ever done except play some (not very good) roles imo in some films and get a criminal record in USA yet this gives him the right to decide what we can and can't say. It truly is a (NOT) funny old world.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 23.03.13 8:26

@plebgate wrote:Why are Hacked Off being allowed to dictate this issue. Who cares what amendments they want. They are a pressure group and since when did pressure groups decide the law???

I read that Granty boy is back in America. For those with money it seems they can enter and leave the country, wreak havoc with our Freedom of Speech and then start tweeting that amendments need to be made. That's what comes of having weak people as MPs. We need MPs who will put these slebs in their place. What has Granty boy ever done except play some (not very good) roles imo in some films and get a criminal record in USA yet this gives him the right to decide what we can and can't say. It truly is a (NOT) funny old world.

I wonder what Hugh Grant's taxpayer status is. Is he living in the US to avoid paying UK tax? Or is he a fully paid-up resident in the UK?
If not, I don't feel he should have much to say at all - on any subject relating to UK government whatsoever.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 23.03.13 8:35

Yes I agree Tigger. Maybe one of the" investigative" journalists who read this site will report just how many of this Hacked Off group pay taxes and are permanent residents of this country.
Come on the journos - get your own back on them.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 23.03.13 8:39

Come on the journos OR will it be left to Guido( yet again) to publish and be damned?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.03.13 8:43

@tigger wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Why are Hacked Off being allowed to dictate this issue. Who cares what amendments they want. They are a pressure group and since when did pressure groups decide the law???

I wonder what Hugh Grant's taxpayer status is. Is he living in the US to avoid paying UK tax? Or is he a fully paid-up resident in the UK?
If not, I don't feel he should have much to say at all - on any subject relating to UK government whatsoever.

Wouldn't it be hysterical if little Hugh were to be found to have renounced UK citizenship and living on his Greencard in America sarcastic

Basically their bill is casting a wide net to cover all publishers big and small alike including bloggers and small non profit publishers, therefore they are asking for the Bill to be amended. The House should just reject it altogether. Hacked Off should be asked to come back with their precise terms so that time is not wasted on a lot of paper works. I cant believe this lot of baffoon government allows a Pressure Group to dictate terms on how to regulate the Press.

In the first place Hacked Off refuses to reveal names of their Funders; and if the Funders should turn out not to be victims of press intrusion or hacked, I want to know why the government allow them to dictate terms. The pressured for Press to be transparent so they must practise what they preach before they can or should be taken seriously.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.03.13 8:44

Sorry, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record...

What's important to look at imo is not the celebrity face of Hacked Off but to determine who funds the organisation.

Follow the money.

On a personal note, I'm glad Hugh Grant is back in la-la land and hope his stay is a very long one. He may of course have gone due to work commitments or he's simply fed up with complaining about his London neighbours digging up their basements to improve their houses.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 23.03.13 8:57

Yes Aquilla as usual follow the money, but as Granty boy was put before the cameras I think he has a damned cheek to try and get our laws changed when he can if and when he chooses pee off back to USA or anywhere else freedom of speech exists and post what the heck he likes.

It may be that the" real" backers of Hacked Off do not reside in our country either, so what would be their reason for getting our free speech banned?

With all the money at the newspapers disposal it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 9:39

Sorry, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record...

Love the broken record technique Aquila.

Snipped from comments in the Guardian article

IainGlasgow

22 March 2013 5:14pm

Recommend

I think we should really know who set up Hacked Off and where their funding comes from.

Well Hacked Off was set up by the Media Standards Trust from which it later became a separate entity.

The Media Standards Trust was set up by Common Purpose from which it too later became a separate entity.

Common Purpose was set up by Julia Middleton, who was previously the editor of Marxism Today, in order to provide "leadership" courses for public sector managers. I think we can be fairly certain someone doesn't become the editor of a Marxist publication unless they are completely in line with its ideology and of course her book "Beyond Authority" is full of Marxist language. Julia Middleton likes to talk about "useful idiots". I think we can put most of the people involved with hacked Off in that category.

All of these organisations are funded by banks and their Boards of Trustees are full of bankers and other elitists. People connected to the liks of Goldman Sachs and the Rothschilds.

http://www.commonpurpose.org.uk/about/governance

http://mediastandardstrust.org/about/people/

So we can trace a pretty much direct connection from the push for greater press regulation to certain individuals with heavy Communist leanings and elite/banking connections.

I really don't see the obvious connection between the management skills of public sector administrators (which haven't exactly improved since Common Purpose was established) and making the Media more regulated accountable.

Of course in Communist regimes the state exercises total control of the media so I think its fairly obvious what this implies

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.03.13 10:12

Cherry Blossom wrote:Sorry, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record, I seem to sound like a broken record...

Love the broken record technique Aquila.

Snipped from comments in the Guardian article

IainGlasgow

22 March 2013 5:14pm

Recommend

I think we should really know who set up Hacked Off and where their funding comes from.

Well Hacked Off was set up by the Media Standards Trust from which it later became a separate entity.

The Media Standards Trust was set up by Common Purpose from which it too later became a separate entity.

Common Purpose was set up by Julia Middleton, who was previously the editor of Marxism Today, in order to provide "leadership" courses for public sector managers. I think we can be fairly certain someone doesn't become the editor of a Marxist publication unless they are completely in line with its ideology and of course her book "Beyond Authority" is full of Marxist language. Julia Middleton likes to talk about "useful idiots". I think we can put most of the people involved with hacked Off in that category.

All of these organisations are funded by banks and their Boards of Trustees are full of bankers and other elitists. People connected to the liks of Goldman Sachs and the Rothschilds.

http://www.commonpurpose.org.uk/about/governance

http://mediastandardstrust.org/about/people/

So we can trace a pretty much direct connection from the push for greater press regulation to certain individuals with heavy Communist leanings and elite/banking connections.

I really don't see the obvious connection between the management skills of public sector administrators (which haven't exactly improved since Common Purpose was established) and making the Media more regulated accountable.

Of course in Communist regimes the state exercises total control of the media so I think its fairly obvious what this implies

and here is a taster of the fragrant Julia Middleton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XuiNrwh_Wk

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 23.03.13 10:57

I haven't had time to read every post on this thread, so I don't know if this link has been posted. It makes very interesting reading and it names quite a few people:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2233683/How-David-Bell-sits-charity-bankrolling-campaign.html

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 11:07

Aquila wrote

and here is a taster of the fragrant Julia Middleton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XuiNrwh_Wk

Thanks for the link. My impression of the woman is I don't like her The comments she makes are frightening when you look behind the words, building coalitions and leaders. She's got her body language off to a fine art, if I remember rightly, steepling - finger tips together I'm better than you, open hand gestures - believe what I say, I'm telling the truth, open and transparent, probably lots more, it all seemed so contrived.

I do hope she hasn't sent me a subliminal message.

Going to watch it again and some other vids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 11:21

I dislike that vid as well, especially the fact that comments are disabled.
Imo no comments really means no pic on social networks. No comment means not social.
All my opinion

parapono

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 11:25

I haven't had time to read every post on this thread, so I don't know if this link has been posted. It makes very interesting reading and it names quite a few people:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2233683/How-David-Bell-sits-charity-bankrolling-campaign.html

Good find sallypelt, going back to read and digest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.03.13 11:46

I dislike that vid as well, especially the fact that comments are disabled.
Imo no comments really means no pic on social networks. No comment means not social.
All my opinion

parapono

I hadn't noticed comments had been disabled vidio was uploaded 30 Jun 2008 last comment 3 years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 23.03.13 13:30

On Thursday the Daily Mail reported on reactions from many other countries on Britain`s proposed press gagging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2296685/How-Kremlin-Iran-scorn-Britain-shackling-free-Press.html

UK Column broadcasts most week-days and is an excellent insight into what is really going on, looking from a far wider perspective than we get from the lies and hypocrisy of the BBC and established media. They expose the things that our media are prevented from doing. They do have a forum and there are a couple of posts on the McCann issue. UK Column in general focus more on paedophilia, suspect child charities, NHS, Bankers and of course the rise in `low empathy` corporations such as Common Purpose and child stealing by the state. UK Column dig deep and look at all the people behind these organisations. If anyone has the time, UK Column broadcasts are well worth watching. But they are also concerned that this press gagging is threatening their own website. They are all volunteers passionate about the truth, so I do send a donation now and again when I have anything to spare, because people like them are so necessary in this current fascistic climate !

Last broadcast was yesterday -

http://www.ukcolumn.org/video/uk-column-live-22nd-march-2013

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 23.03.13 13:55

@Woofer wrote:On Thursday the Daily Mail reported on reactions from many other countries on Britain`s proposed press gagging.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2296685/How-Kremlin-Iran-scorn-Britain-shackling-free-Press.html

UK Column broadcasts most week-days and is an excellent insight into what is really going on, looking from a far wider perspective than we get from the lies and hypocrisy of the BBC and established media. They expose the things that our media are prevented from doing. They do have a forum and there are a couple of posts on the McCann issue. UK Column in general focus more on paedophilia, suspect child charities, NHS, Bankers and of course the rise in `low empathy` corporations such as Common Purpose and child stealing by the state. UK Column dig deep and look at all the people behind these organisations. If anyone has the time, UK Column broadcasts are well worth watching. But they are also concerned that this press gagging is threatening their own website. They are all volunteers passionate about the truth, so I do send a donation now and again when I have anything to spare, because people like them are so necessary in this current fascistic climate !

Last broadcast was yesterday -

http://www.ukcolumn.org/video/uk-column-live-22nd-march-2013

I got the real news about Fukushima from Russia Today - all the other media played it down. They asked Gundersen who said from the start it was Chernobyl on steroids. He was right unfortunately. RT was also the only one bringing real news from Libya via French journalists.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 23.03.13 14:25

Yes, it seems our own media are gagged already. I`m sure there must be many frustrated journalists finding themselves unable to write the real truths - hence many of them are taking to the internet. Common Purpose is rife at the BBC, but one wonders who is setting the tone of reporting for the rest of our media.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hacked off "actually mad"

Post by Monty Heck on 24.03.13 18:00

Includes comment by the former Hacked Off campaigns co-ordinator, who resigned last September.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2298180/Hacked-Off-actually-mad-Tory-Cabinet-Minister-Oliver-Letwin-obsessive-manner-manner-activists-difficult-deal-with.html
Particularly salient:
"They deal with people who sometimes complain to newspapers not because they have broken the law, or the code, but simply because they have published things people dislike.
A few years ago, when I was working at a local newspaper, I covered the inquest of a 29-year-old mother who had died in tragic circumstances. I did it by the book – reproduced the story, witness accounts and the words of the coroner accurately, but still ended up with a PCC complaint."

Monty Heck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 25.03.13 11:31

I'm hacked off with stars and politicians curbing press
Hugh Grant deserves a punitive tattoo for his efforts to muzzle the media in Britain, says Ruth Dudley Edwards

LEADING ROLE: Actor Hugh Grant, as frontman of Hacked Off, has become a weighty public figure who is listened to.
24 MARCH 2013

'I hope we are keeping a list of everyone who was in favour of press regulation", began an email from a British friend who has never been nor wanted to be a journalist. "I would like this tattooed on their foreheads – and perhaps there can be a kind of noise, like discordant trumpets, which will sound every time they make a public pronouncement about anything. For the rest of their lives."

David is a kindly man from a Christian background who believes in redemption, so he added: "If they renounce their mistakes – and apologise for trying to destroy the basis of a free and decent society, and indeed of justice and science and the whole Enlightenment – then they can speak free of the trumpets. And their foreheads will be wiped clean."

I'm with him all the way, and my first candidate for the punitive tattoo will be Hugh Grant. I liked him in Four Weddings and a Funeral, but I'm so furious with him that I don't care if the tattoo keeps him off our screens. Forever!

Grant has been the front-man for Hacked Off, an organisation of victims of hacking and other press malfeasances and a few academics and lawyers with what I regard as authoritarian leanings, though they would dispute that. In that role he has become a weighty public figure who is listened to with an absurd amount of respect, not least because he is adept in reminding us of the worst cases and interviewers are too reverential to remind him that laws should not be made by victims.

There was no decent person who watched or read evidence given at the Leveson Inquiry into the culture, practice and ethics of the press who was not moved and angry about, for instance, the persecution of the parents of Madeleine McCann or the hacking of a missing girl's phone. But the offending newspapers paid huge damages to the McCanns, the News of the World was closed down, and scores of journalists have been arrested in dawn raids and many charged with serious offences like theft and bribery. The career of Rebekah Brooks, Rupert Murdoch's right-hand woman at News International, has been ruined and she's awaiting trial.

The police had turned a blind eye for years – not least because they knew that they had many members who routinely sold information – but once they began to do their duty it was clear there was no need for new legislation.

There was a clear need, however, for a serious beefing up of the Press Complaints Commission, easy access to a complaints procedure, prominent corrections, a new code of conduct and hefty fines, and editors were prepared to sign up to it. Some looked favourably on the Irish system of a Press Council and Press Ombudsman. They were close to agreeing on very tough self-regulation.

And then, using Hugh Grant as cover, politicians decided to seize the opportunity to muzzle the hated press which for three centuries has exposed corruption and bad behaviour in public life. In recent times, it has brought about the jailing of, for instance, Jonathan Aitken, Jeffrey Archer and Chris Huhne. In 2009, citing the public interest, the Daily Telegraph paid £110,000 for a confidential file of MPs' expenses, leading not just to many resignations, sackings, and retirements, but to the imprisonment of several politicians for false accounting.

The campaign was harsh and brought politicians probably into too much disrepute, but that's typical of how the British press has been able to keep politics and business pretty clean compared to Ireland, which has used fear of bankruptcy to keep the press at bay. Charlie Haughey and Michael Lowry would not have survived in the House of Commons.

David Cameron actually cares about press freedom and wanted voluntary and proportionate reform, as did a handful of Tories, but most MPs just wanted vengeance and control while piously insisting that they were merely trying to protect future victims. Cameron's attempted compromise of a royal charter was dished by Hacked Off, which painted him and any other dissenters from their demands for heavy state regulation as Murdoch stooges. Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg led the stampede to sign up and Cameron had to go unhappily along with a confused form of state regulation of print and digital journalism that was hastily passed, almost no one understands and is attracting horrified criticism from world media and bodies like Index on Censorship that defend freedom of expression.

Editors and owners are consulting their lawyers and the prospect looms that tabloids like the Sun and the Daily Mail, which loath the European Court of Human Rights, may yet be saved by it. What a great film it would all make. Hugh Grant, tattoo and all, can play himself.

www.ruthdudleyedwards.com RuthDE@twitter

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 25.03.13 12:00

Ruth Dudley Edwards is a terrific writer and a brilliant commentator on politics - I read 'The Anglo-Irish Murders' years ago, a parody on the 'peace process' . The woman should sell more books than Dan Brown. highly recommended.

Hugh Grant is an empty shell, he cultivated his 'persona' as from his school days. He's only ever played the 'archetypal Englishman' the US believes actually exists. I've taken the trouble to sit through two - no, one and a half film with HG in the starring role. As Bizet said when he was made to write a heroic aria for the tenor in 'Carmen', 'if they want rubbish, they can have it!' His fans are welcome to HG.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum