The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Lord Neuberger, UK's most senior judge, voices legal aid fears

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on 05.03.13 9:48

Britain's most senior judge says he fears cuts to legal aid could undermine the rule of law.

Legal aid in England and Wales will be restricted in a range of civil cases from April to cut a current £2bn bill.

The president of the UK Supreme Court, Lord Neuberger, said people may feel they can no longer access justice - and "take the law into their own hands".

The Ministry of Justice said legal aid would still be provided "to those who most need it".

Legal aid funding for a wide range of disputes, including some divorce cases and clinical negligence, is to be axed.

It means many people will have to pay privately for advice, find charitable help or represent themselves in trying to solve their disputes.

The proposals are intended to cut the legal aid bill by £350m a year by 2015.

'Offset in other costs'

But Lord Neuberger said the consequences could in fact cost the government more.

“Start Quote

You may find the savings the government thinks it's making in legal aid will be offset in other costs of courts and judges and court staff in supporting litigants in person”
End Quote Lord Neuberger
He told the BBC: "My worry is the removal of legal aid for people to get advice about law and get representation in court will start to undermine the rule of law because people will feel like the government isn't giving them access to justice in all sorts of cases.

"And that will either lead to frustration and lack of confidence in the system, or it will lead to people taking the law into their own hands."

Lord Neuberger said another problem would be the increase in the number of people who represent themselves in court because they could not afford or get legal aid for a lawyer,

"This will mean that court hearings will last longer, the burden on court staff and judges will increase," he said.

"And you may find the savings the government thinks it's making in legal aid will be offset in other costs of courts and judges and court staff in supporting litigants in person."

In a statement the Ministry of Justice said: "Legal aid will continue to be provided to those who most need it, such as where domestic violence is involved, where people's life or liberty is at stake or the loss of their home."

Deportation row

BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman said the changes were seen by many as nothing short of a revolution in the provision of legal aid with the government removing funding from entire areas of civil law.

“Start Quote

I think attacking judges is not a sensible way to proceed. It causes me concern but it does not alarm me”
End Quote Lord Neuberger
The concern was that the cuts would affect the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people in society, he said.

The bill received Royal Assent after a parliamentary passage that saw it defeated 14 times in the House of Lords.

The Lords ultimately backed ministers by the narrowest of margins, with 238 votes on each side - a tie means a victory for the government.

But our correspondent said there was was "absolutely no chance" the government would row back on the changes.

Lord Neuberger also said it was "unfortunate" that Home Secretary Theresa May had attacked judges for "ignoring" rules on deporting foreign criminals.

But he said he would not get into a "slanging" match with Mrs May.

The interview came two weeks after Mrs May accused judges of making the UK more dangerous by ignoring rules aimed at deporting more foreign criminals. She told the Mail on Sunday that they were choosing to "ignore Parliament's wishes".

"I think attacking judges is not a sensible way to proceed," Lord Neuberger said.

"It causes me concern but it does not alarm me. No government has done anything to undermine judges."

He added: "It is unfortunate that the home secretary has acted and spoken as she has done."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21665319

Back to top Go down

Re: Lord Neuberger, UK's most senior judge, voices legal aid fears

Post by aquila on 05.03.13 9:57

Theresa May (or May Not as I like to think of her) is jumping on the bandwagon to gain votes. It's puppetry at it's finest imo.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.03.13 10:27

Justice for the rich put up with any carp dished up to you if you are not. Nothing changes in Britain.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.03.13 9:39

Things have changed in Britain for the worst, ordinary working class people are being ground into submission, reminds me of the fuedel system, and unless you are very rich or have a rich backer there will be knowhere to turn to not even the law

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 06.03.13 18:58

Yep you are right Cherry Blossom. Feels we are going back to Victorian times (at times). Work til you drop or have to be put in a home . If you were luck enough to have bought your home then sell that to pay for your (inadequate) care in an under performing care home. Leave no money for your children so that they might have an easier passage into old age, no let's keep that for the rich so that they are the only ones who can own land/homes. Sheesh.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.03.13 6:25

Agree with your comments plebgate. I was realy shocked when I first heard about people having to use Food Banks to feed their families, how long will it be before we hear about the workhouse, of course it won't be called that it will be given a fancy name and given all the spin to help the poorest in our society. Like a drunken person one step forward two or more steps back.

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 07.03.13 14:06

Yes I heard on the news the other day that Cash in the bank Cameron had visited (without fanfare or cameras) a foodbank in Oxford a few months back because he was sooo concerned to hear about foodbanks and families having to use them so often. Since his visit apparently the situation has become even more dire. Yes we are all in it together tins of value food to poor families and caviar and champers for others. 21st Centure Britain eh.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum