The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Case goes to trial - Amaral v McCanns

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Case goes to trial - Amaral v McCanns

Post by Woofer on 20.02.13 13:23

@Willo wrote:Just a thought. Was the deferment of Amarals case deliberate?

Maybe the McCanns fearing that Amaral might win wanted to delay the decision of that case until after they had seen Tony in court.

A loss to Mr Amaral would have maybe strengthened Tony's case quite a bit.

So the McCann's offered a settlement that clearly would not be accepted just to get those extra days that would see their case against Tony finished. As has been the case. They fancied Tony as the easier target to go one up.

Likewise it could strengthen their case against Amaral to have Tony convicted of perpetrating Amarals theories.

I find it hard to believe that the McCanns would just roll over at this stage. It's all or nothing at this moment and little games like this and the plethora of sightings are just them trying to get an edge. They are very good at it and with all the backing they have why wouldn't they be?

I reckon it was deliberate Willo - it was playing for time IMO. I`m sure, in the management of media and reputation, TIMING of events is extremely important.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 20.02.13 14:37

@tiny wrote:
@Willo wrote:Just a thought. Was the deferment of Amarals case deliberate?

Maybe the McCanns fearing that Amaral might win wanted to delay the decision of that case until after they had seen Tony in court.

A loss to Mr Amaral would have maybe strengthened Tony's case quite a bit.

So the McCann's offered a settlement that clearly would not be accepted just to get those extra days that would see their case against Tony finished. As has been the case. They fancied Tony as the easier target to go one up.

Likewise it could strengthen their case against Amaral to have Tony convicted of perpetrating Amarals theories.

I find it hard to believe that the McCanns would just roll over at this stage. It's all or nothing at this moment and little games like this and the plethora of sightings are just them trying to get an edge. They are very good at it and with all the backing they have why wouldn't they be?
The mccanns hadnt got an earthly of winning,also dont forget Mr Amaral has said there is more he knows that he hasnt spoken about yet,its funny the things that can come out in a court even if its just a libel case.
Not my area of expertise, Law, BUT. From what I can see McCanns V Bennett and McCanns V Amaral are two totally different things. Different countries, differing processes.... I can't see that victory over Tony would help against Amaral at all. From all I've read, Amaral is almost guaranteed to win for the same reason 'Mad Marcos' was found NOT guilty of libel on Sr Amaral - 'because he completely believed what he said about Amaral to be true'. Re Tony, Judge T has made it clear that his case is about the undertakings he signed, not the facts of the case (though they could become important if the stay is lifted and it goes to a full Libel trial). In that scenario, PERHAPS Amaral's victory would help Tony BUT I don't see how a win or lose for Tony will influence the Amaral case at all?

Perhaps somebody could put me right if that's all tosh. Its my understanding but as I said Law is not my strongest suit. Justice, yes - but IMO the two are not mutually exclusive Wink

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.02.13 15:23

Just a short factual post. I arrived safe and sound in London this afternoon, submerged at Holborn station and walked past the courthouse to refresh my memory. It's still there smilie
Now I am sitting in the lobby of my Hotel, using their wifi just to let you know.
Thanks Jean for sherperding me here.
I am hoping and praying for a good outcome tomorrow!
Ta all!

parapono

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 20.02.13 15:42

parapono wrote:Just a short factual post. I arrived safe and sound in London this afternoon, submerged at Holborn station and walked past the courthouse to refresh my memory. It's still there
Now I am sitting in the lobby of my Hotel, using their wifi just to let you know.
Ta all!

parapono
hi Parapono, its so good to hear that you in london again to give Tony support,and to all the others that can make it ,well done,i am sure Tony really appretiates it as, do i as i cant be there in person.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostfridge on 20.02.13 15:45

parapono wrote:Just a short factual post. I arrived safe and sound in London this afternoon, submerged at Holborn station and walked past the courthouse to refresh my memory. It's still there smilie
Ta all!

parapono

http://textusa.blogspot.co.uk/

All depends on what you would consider a good outcome. Good luck to TB and glad he has support on the day!

Lostfridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.02.13 15:52

@Lostfridge wrote:
parapono wrote:Just a short factual post. I arrived safe and sound in London this afternoon, submerged at Holborn station and walked past the courthouse to refresh my memory. It's still there smilie
Ta all!

parapono

http://textusa.blogspot.co.uk/

All depends on what you would consider a good outcome. Good luck to TB and glad he has support on the day!

I am all with textusa, it's a gordian knot!

Still I believe praying for a good outcome will help,
God is almighty in love!

parapono

Back to top Go down

Algarve Daily News

Post by PeterMac on 20.02.13 16:17

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/8941-mccanns-vs-amaral-trial-to-go-ahead

You are here: Home News McCanns vs Amaral trial to go ahead
McCanns vs Amaral trial to go ahead
Created on Tuesday, 19 February 2013 01:06
Kate and Gerry McCann have failed to reach an out-of-court settlement or agreement in the civil case against Gonçalo Amaral, the former Police Inspector accused of defamation.
The defence lawyer said today that as the parties have not reached any agreement the case should now be reactivated in the Civil Court of Lisbon which will have to schedule a new date for the start of the trial.
The first hearing was scheduled for January 24th 2013 but a week before the trial was due to start the judge granted a breathing space in the hope that a settlement could be reached in the case where Madeleine's parents are claiming compensation of €1.2 million from Amaral for defamation.
This action has already prompted a request for the seizure of Gonçalo Amaral’s goods as a ‘precautionary measure.’
In a related case the Civil Court of Lisbon decided in January 2010 to maintain the ban on the book "Maddie - The Truth of the Lie", written by Gonçalo Amaral, and on a video with the same title based on a documentary broadcast on TVI.
The ban on the book and the documentary was lifted on 18 October 2010 by the Tribunal de Relação de Lisboa as the deemed that his book only reflects the conclusions of the investigation up until he left the force.
The ban of the book and the video, in which Gonçalo Amaral claims that Kate and Gerry McCann were involved in the disappearance of their daughter and in the concealment of her body, had been in place since September 9th 2009.
Madeleine McCann disappeared on May 3, 2007, while holidaying in an apartment in a holiday village of Praia da Luz.
At the time of her disappearance, Goncalo Amaral was the coordinator of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Judicial Police of Portimão and was in charge of the investigation.
Kate and Gerry McCann have always claimed that the child was abducted but were made defendants in September 2007.
The case was closed for lack of evidence in July 2008, although prosecutors say they will reopen the case if new facts emerge about the child's disappearance. Despite investigations by a dedicated team from Scotland Yard no new facts of significance have emerged.
Some nice comments.

I so admire Mr Amaral. Our police and politicians are a disgrace. But this brave man is taking on that couple, who have been led to believe they are invincible. They are wrong.

I hope the Portuguese people get behind Goncalo Amaral,please please Portugal REOPEN this case,and put the McCanns behind bars,along with their tapas friends. Good luck Mr Amaral.

I believe every word the parents have ever spoken. As her father said, "if she had had an accident in the apartment whilst we weren't there, how would that be our fault?". Quite. Time to collect Little Jimmy, he's been waiting outside the school gates since 3.30pm yesterday. Ar least he knows not to go off with strangers, he's 5 now. What? Aren't I entitled to enjoy my night out? I made him an extra sandwich and gave him crisps. Any responsible parent would have done the same thing. Toodles.

oh come on is this paper a supporter of Mr Mrs Mccann.very bias reporting.Thank god for the internet where you can find the truth.
Actually, this paper is not very supportive of the McCann's version, you might be mistaking this with the Algarve Resident, now that's a biased newspaper.

oh come on is this paper a supporter of Mr Mrs Mccann.very bias reporting.Thank god for the internet where you can find the truth.

Oh no, not again!!
Now where did I put my 'ACME patent McCann exposure overload' module?
I thought I had finished with it a couple of years ago. Seems not

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.02.13 11:06

From Portugal news..........

McCanns and Amaral fail to reach settlement

by Brendan de Beer, · 20-02-2013 15:31:00 ·
The parents of missing British girl Madeleine McCann and a former PJ police inspector have this week reportedly failed to reach agreement on an out-of-court settlement.

The defence team of Gonçalo Amaral told Lusa News Agency that court proceedings are back on track after the two parties failed to agree terms.

Kate and Gerry McCann sued Amaral for 1.2 million euros in damages, and the case was put on hold due to an apparent attempt in January by the McCanns to reach an out-of-court settlement.
The case centres around the publication of a best-selling book by Amaral, The Truth of the Lie, which was later transformed into a television documentary shown on national television.

Bit more here...

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/mccanns-and-amaral-fail-to-reach-settlement/27800

Back to top Go down

Post by cass7 on 23.02.13 12:03

the 24 hrs a day 7 days a week helpline -- what helping them -- if anyone has any real news -- sy phone number is free of charge big grin

cass7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Montclair on 23.02.13 12:29

@McCant wrote:The McCanns’ legal team won’t be looking forward to their trip to Lisbon. It sounds like Tony Bennett alone had too much fire power for them, and over a relatively minor issue; but that’s nothing compared to what Amaral and his team will have lined up for them...

The McCanns' legal team for the libel trial against Gonçalo Amaral will not be travelling to Lisbon, Isabel Duarte is their lawyer and is Portuguese and her offices are already in Lisbon. Carter Ruck cannot represent the McCanns in Portugal.

Montclair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 on 02.05.13 1:02

I am not a legal eagle so I might be talking complete BS.

But a horrible thought came to mind today, a bit like a conspiracy theory.

Seeing how much interference in the original investigation by the UK Government was done for reasons unknown I have a disturbing feeling.

Could this whole SY review be taking place with the objective of helping the GA trial? Lets face information has already leaked to papers so Lord only knows what certain Lawyers have been given.

I am not usually a conspiracy nut but this is a worry.

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 03.05.13 7:42

Anything is possible, but Mr. Amaral has fought tooth and nail and will continue to do so, I believe, if he thinks that SY review will be a whitewash.

I do believe that Mr. A. will go all the way to court and will not settle with them as he has been through too much. Mr. A. has funds to fight them now, TB didn't.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 16.05.13 9:44

Not long now July we will learn the date of any libel trial. My guess is they will settle with Mr. A. but wait until the day of any hearing (at the doors of the court).

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Trial

Post by Woburn_exile on 31.05.13 10:47

Unfortunately what is on trial here is not just GA or McCanns. It is the very reputation of the BBC and other aspects of the British media.

Woburn_exile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayniia on 31.05.13 22:12

@Woburn_exile wrote:Unfortunately what is on trial here is not just GA or McCanns. It is the very reputation of the BBC and other aspects of the British media.

I'll say it again, I have almost none faith in Justice. But in this particular case I don't believe there's anyway the Mccanns win in Portugal. EVERYTHING Gonçalo Amaral said was based on proof/ conclusions of the Portuguese investigation. The files are public. So where's the defamation? IMO the more the Mccans push on that in Portugal, the deeper they'll dig their "grave". The ban/ off ban of "the truth of the lie" just proved that. So yeah I'm hoping the Mccans keep this till court, oh yes

"My advice to any British tourist ,please come to Portugal,please come to the Algarve but if you're coming as a family holiday treat it as a family holiday and do things together, don't leave the kids"
Words from an ExPat Algarve resident

Ayniia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyB on 03.06.13 21:02

@plebgate wrote:Not long now July we will learn the date of any libel trial.
My understanding was that there was a six month adjournment in January to allow time for a negotiated settlement. As both parties have agreed that there wont be a negotiated settlement I don't understand why we need to wait for the six months to elapse. Why not just schedule the trial now?

AndyB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 04.06.13 8:50

I think it was explained in January that as a request had been made for chance at settlement then the court gave six months to see if one could be reached. If at the end of the six month period a settlement has not been reached then the courts will give a date for the trial to proceed.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostfridge on 04.06.13 13:52

@Pershing36 wrote:I am not a legal eagle so I might be talking complete BS.

Seeing how much interference in the original investigation by the UK Government was done for reasons unknown I have a disturbing feeling.

Could this whole SY review be taking place with the objective of helping the GA trial? Lets face information has already leaked to papers so Lord only knows what certain Lawyers have been given.

This is what worries you?. Not the unprecedented government and press assistance the Mccanns appear to have had since day one! including the Home office not sending critical medical and financial information. Let not forget that as much as we like to think the UK police helped develop theory against the Mccanns, did the UK police not split out of there as soon as the Mccanns left the country! why didn't they stay and help develop and finish the case!?. Has it not always looked like the UK authorities have only ever been involved so that they can see what the PJ are up to!? Just my thoughts and I think the SY review is only serving the same function.

Lostfridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 04.06.13 19:18

@Lostfridge wrote:

This is what worries you?. Not the unprecedented government and press assistance the Mccanns appear to have had since day one! including the Home office not sending critical medical and financial information. Let not forget that as much as we like to think the UK police helped develop theory against the Mccanns, did the UK police not split out of there as soon as the Mccanns left the country! why didn't they stay and help develop and finish the case!?. Has it not always looked like the UK authorities have only ever been involved so that they can see what the PJ are up to!? Just my thoughts and I think the SY review is only serving the same function.

thumbup
parapono

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayniia on 04.06.13 19:26

@Lostfridge wrote:

I don't understand Pershing36, how would the SY review help the GA trial?
Lostfridge you have a point there, makes sense... SY wanting to know what Porto review is doing... anyway I'll say again, IMO something's happening behind the scenes, since we saw the MCS looking completely devastated in the vigil, we had the SY talking about nothing specific (giving grounds to any possibility ) and first the Mccanns not commenting but shortly after saying they're very pleased with it ,Brunt's tweet talking about murder ( and of course I don't believe he wrote that word by mistake ) , Kate trip to PDL with almost none press or pictures ( what was she really doing in Portugal? ) and the unusual amount of Maddy related news / sightings in the last weeks ... Maybe the trial is still on hold because something big is about to happen?
I know nothing about laws except that justice in Portugal is very very slow, but IMHO the Mccanns should just back off or quit because they won't win.

"My advice to any British tourist ,please come to Portugal,please come to the Algarve but if you're coming as a family holiday treat it as a family holiday and do things together, don't leave the kids"

Ayniia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 04.06.13 20:44

and why was granny in the papers last week. Haven't seen or heard from her or any of the family in the papers for quite some time.

I think something is going on behind scenes but what we just don't know.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayniia on 04.06.13 20:48

@plebgate wrote:and why was granny in the papers last week. Haven't seen or heard from her or any of the family in the papers for quite some time.

I have a very good idea of what's about to happen but I don't want to "start a war " with the other side or give them "ammunition " so I won't extrapolate on what I think

Ayniia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 04.06.13 20:52

@Ayniia wrote:
@plebgate wrote:and why was granny in the papers last week. Haven't seen or heard from her or any of the family in the papers for quite some time.

I have a very good idea of what's about to happen but I don't want to "start a war " with the other side or give them "ammunition " so I won't extrapolate on what I think
you can p.m. me, Ayniia, with your extrapolation, I won't start a war.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another distraction?

Post by Guest on 04.06.13 20:52

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/06/04/44271/madeleine+press+spokeswoman+urges+industry+to+take+paedophile+threat+more+seriously.html#disqus-thread

Justine McGuinness has popped up again too but, judging by the reference to Madeleine being 5, this may be an old article regurgitated with bits added ("six years ago") to make it seem current.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 04.06.13 21:23

@Ayniia wrote:

I wish you would, I am pouncing on your posts as they appear, lol. I am probably thinking along the same lines as yourself but reluctant to go into it on the board.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum