The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

More child abductions in Portugal ! ! ! !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More child abductions in Portugal ! ! ! !

Post by PeterMac on 17.02.13 10:25

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/376716/Missing-British-girl-s-father-arrested-in-Portugalhttp://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/376716/Missing-British-girl-s-father-arrested-in-Portugal

A HUNT for a British girl missing in Portugal was stepped up last night after police arrested her father on suspicion of abduction.
Ellie Gannon, seven, vanished last July while she was with her wealthy 35-year-old Portuguese father Filipe Silva.
They were supposed to go on holiday for two weeks on the Algarve but he failed to hand her back after the break to her British mother Candice Gannon, 27, and her husband Philip, who live on the island of Madeira.
Philip said last night: “He was arrested somewhere outside Lisbon. There is a good chance of finding her soon.”
Mr Silva had failed to appear at a civil court case to explain where Ellie had been and a warrant was later issued for his arrest.
Mr and Mrs Gannon came to Britain last month to seek help in finding Ellie from Scotland Yard and Prime Minister David Cameron. The last time Ellie spoke to her mother was on August 5 when she sounded frightened.
Mrs Gannon said: “She wanted to be back with her family.”
Ellie has been badly missed by her two-year-old stepsister Olivia.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378210/Mother-s-joy-at-being-reunited-with-daughter-missing-for-seven-months-in-Portugal

HAPPY Candice Gannon wept tears of joy as she was reunited with her ­daughter Ellie who went missing for seven months in Portugal.
By: James Murray Published: Sun, February 17, 2013

After a weekend of high drama, ­Candice, 28, finally got to hold her eight-year-old tug-of-love daughter on Tuesday at a children’s home in ­northern Portugal.
Her eyes still red with crying, she said later: “It was the happiest day of my life. We had a big hug and a big kiss. We hugged for about 15 minutes. It was like the day I gave birth to her.”
Last week we revealed how her 35-year-old former partner Filipe da Silva had been arrested near Lisbon on suspicion of kidnap.

Property owner Mr da Silva was later driven to Faro on the Algarve for a court appearance. He claimed he did not know Ellie’s whereabouts and was taken to jail.
It was the happiest day of my life. We had a big hug and a big kiss
When Mr da Silva was released on bail last Monday there was an unexpected development when his mother took Ellie to a children’s home.
Candice and Ellie were reunited the next day. ­Little is known of what happened to Ellie in the seven months she was missing after her father failed to hand her back following a two?week holiday.
She said she went to a Portuguese school in Porto.
Candice said she felt upset that her daughter had had to go through “such emotional upset”. She said: “It was uncalled for because I have always let her see her father. The courts now really need to protect Ellie.”
Ellie's father Fillipe de Silva
In another twist Mr da Silva went on Portuguese TV saying Ellie had been happy with him: “My actions were those of a desperate father. My fear of not seeing my daughter again led me to go to live with her in Porto.”
Furious Candice said: “It defies belief that he can go on TV after what he has done and blatantly lie like this.” Portuguese authorities are still investigating Mr da Silva on suspicion of kidnap.
Candice and her businessman ­husband Philip hope to bring Ellie to Britain for a holiday before returning with her to their home in Madeira.

Brilliant.
Actually the same story, but who cares. Two is better than one.

And let us not lose sight of the fact that it was the child's own father.
Once again the use of the word "Abduction" fails to differentiate between the various forms.
But it looks good as a headline, so that's all right.

And fancy going on television and lying ! Is there no shame ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More child abductions in Portugal ! ! ! !

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 10:39

The definition of abduct is to take (someone) away illegally by force or deception.

I'm not sure if I'd include the removal of a child by one natural parent from the other as being covered by that definition.

Not to worry though, the tabloids are conveying the not so subtle message that Portugal is a hotbed for children going missing.

Sorry to be a pedantic old git, but I wish that the media would learn the difference between half-siblings and step-siblings!

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 17.02.13 10:52

One only has to visit a divorce forum to see how common this is between parents. it used to be referred to as "tug of love, " before McCanns made the abduction word so fashionable.
Sometimes one parent can simply not return the child as promised on a Sunday evening, or take them to the other side of the World. Quite why then this story was singled out, one can only guess.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 10:56

A one word answer to your last sentence, Spaniel - Portugal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 17.02.13 11:02

Jean wrote:A one word answer to your last sentence, Spaniel - Portugal!
Quite Jean.

Another word could be "Reinforcement"
definition: the process of encouraging or establishing a belief or pattern of behaviour: positive feedback leads to reinforcement

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.02.13 11:05

The only explanation I can find for this publicity storm is that the press is being paid to print it.

Or perhaps there's other news coming that needs some pre-emptive justification...

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum