The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The Sunday Marr Show 17 February

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Sunday Marr Show 17 February

Post by jowie on 17.02.13 9:43

Only just caught the last 30 seconds or so but time enough to hear Kate say " the general public deserve to know what is happening" Yeah Kate, a truer word never spoken!

jowie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 on 17.02.13 9:44

Did anyone notice he went redder in face as time went on towards end ,more sort of angry or flustered ,not sure which ,but he changed once he was asked what he would do about leverson enq.if it were up to him .i saw definate change in his deminer. joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.02.13 9:45

One of the posters here asked this week why Mr. McCann has suddenly become the spokesperson for Hacked Off. A good question. Does make me wonder why we are suddenly seeing/hearing so much from him this week.
I noticed that H. Grant has informed the press that he has become a daddy again.
How absolutely Divine for him.
Oh hang on, is this the same H. Grant who is hacked off with the press and doesn't want anything more to do with them.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 9:45

For anyone (everybody, surely) wishing to complain about the complete bias and lack of research on the part of the BBC, here's a link to the relevant part of their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

P.S. Just found a more appropriate e-mail address.

andrewmarrshow@bbc.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 10:25

They mentioned about the media endangering Madeleine's safety, yet no mention of the upset and stress caused to the families of the children that are mentioned in these sightings. Mair asked if they had complained about this and Kate McCann said she had written to an Editor about these sightings, and was told by the Editor ....we know what is best for Madeleine. I think she said her blood was boiling or something like that to have received a reply like that from the Editor. I was still just waking up when I heard it, so not word for word.

Back to top Go down

Post by cass7 on 17.02.13 10:32

yes just read elsewhere that kate said it made her blood boil -- bet it made the mother of the nz blood boil too when she had to give her daughters dna -- not about the sightings that made kates blood boil -- she was happy with the sightings and courting the press all these years -- was it the blood -- dna that caused a hissy fit ?

cass7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 17.02.13 10:41

I wish the interviewer had brought in the subject of the Lincoln hospitals whistleblower. Without the press, it would never have come to light that he was gagged with a £500,000 payoff to prevent us knowing how many unnecessary deaths were occuring in that trust.
He has even been threatened by lawyers who say because he has spoken out, the money will have to be repaid.
He has never worked since, despite applying for 50 jobs in the NHS, but instead has been blacklisted by them.
It could change the culture of fear in the NHS, where speaking out could lose you your job.
The interviewer should have introduced some balance by stating what good a free press can be in a case such as the above.

The whistleblower spoke out because the press offers a certain protection. How ironic then, that the Hacked Off campaign is being fronted by a doctor.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 17.02.13 10:51

Andrew Marr show: Summary

First of all, I thought it was a nice touch of the BBC to make sure that, the first time that the McCanns appeared on the Andrew Marr show, the programme was presented by someone called EDDIE.

Eddie Mair introduced them at the start of programme as ‘Kate and Gerry McCann’. He said he’d be asking them ‘if their evidence to Leveson had been a waste of time’.

There was mention of the ‘leader’ of the ‘Hacked Off’ campaign, Hugh Grant apparently, side by side with news today that he has had a new ‘love child’. There was a clip of a Mail on Sunday article headed: ‘Hugh Grant has second child with ‘fab’ Mum’.

The new editor of The Times (and former editor of the Sunday Times) was on the show commenting on the day’s newspapers and said that ‘the new proposed Royal Charter setting up tighter regulation of the press means we will have the toughest form of press regulation anywhere in the Western world’. So much for the country of free speech!

Later, he said that ‘this new regulatory body will not just have teeth, it will have jaws’, including the possibility of fining newspapers and journalists up to £1 million
if they slip up.

Baroness Helena Kennedy QC, a prominent Labour supporter, was also commenting on the press and said she thought there ought to be statutory control of the press. She said: ‘A Royal Charter is not the solution’.

The McCanns came on at 9.24pm. Neither looked relaxed.

It was basically one long whinge from Gerry, with Kate popping in now and then to make a few comments. The one I thought was quite funny was when she said she would ‘give Leveson 7 marks out of 10’. Given that Cameron and Leveson both said that Leveson’s Inquiry ‘must meet the demands of Kate and Gerry McCann’, the implication was that Cameron should now go back to the McCanns, grovel to them, and ask what would make it 10 out of 10.

Points from Gerry:

1. The Express’s coverage of them had been ‘disgusting’
2. NOTW published the diary without permission: Kate: ‘They showed no respect to me’
3. The Royal Charter is 'not what we were hoping to achieve'
4. Leveson had been ‘generous to the press’
5. This must be the very last chance at self-regulation of the press
6. Gerry had 3 major concerns:
A) There was a need for transparency (like The Fund??). There had been private meetings between the government and the press and no minutes were being taken of those meetings
B) The press were too close to politicians (did he have in mind Cameron and Rebekah Brooks?)
C) The regulatory body would not be independent, the press would appoint their own people to serve on the new body, and that would be wrong
7. Leveson had come up with ‘the minimum acceptable compromise’
8. The press has ‘lost its entitlement to self-regulation’
9. ‘I would have gone further than Leveson’
10. Leveson’s report was very ‘balanced’ – too balanced
11. The government should force the press to be accountable
12, There had been no improvements in the press since Leveson. There had been a recent episode of a ‘sighting’ in the press which had caused concern (the newspaper wasn’t named and Kate had had to write a personal letter to the editor of the paper concerned (Sunday Express? - Brazil/Ibiza story?) – the newspaper had not been concerned with Madeleine’s safety, and the editor's reply made Kate's blood boil (not that 'rage' and 'fury' once again??)
13. There must be an insistence on accuracy
14. The new regulatory body must protect the public who were victims of the press
15. ‘We will be no better off than we were before Leveson if this Royal Charter goes through’
16. ‘Most MPs support Leveson, so why isn’t the government doing what most MPs want?’
17. The government can redeem itself by implementing Leveson IN FULL

It was very clear that Kate & Gerry remain very ‘hacked off’ with Cameron not implementing Leveson in full.

Interview lasted 7 minutes, it was over at 9.31pm

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 17.02.13 10:55

It's amazing that Eddie Mair just sat there dispensing questions like a tennis ball machine. He looked a bit blank. Incurious Eddie, eh! Don't worry, you're not the first hobbled journalist in this sorry affair! Hopefully the last - though that's a dubious honour.

The stand-out for me was Kate's complaint about the newspaper front page spread, the Russian one I assume. She complained to the editor and got a cold-shoulder reply telling her to shove off, basically - we know more than you how to go about publicising missing children. ("We know more than you do... " - shades of outside a Lisbon court, I thought). She seemed right on the edge there for a moment until Geraldo picked up the baton. Full of righteous indignation, he was, spitting spleen about the newspaper's "complete and utter contempt for Madeleine's safety."

Oh, the irony!

It's never you is it Gerry? - never you.

Mair was useless. Any journalist worth their salt would have been on that in a flash with a question about the coloboma campaign and Gerald's own disregard for his daughter's safety.

For anyone new looking in, Gerald McCann was warned by police and experts not to publicise the coloboma. But he went ahead anyway, remarking that he knew there was a risk that Madeleine (or her eye) could be harmed as a result. He justified it thus: ".... but in marketing terms, it was a good ploy"!!!

I never got over that one.

Later, the McCanns downgraded the importance of their coloboma poster and t-shirt campaign. Kate told Piers Morgan in an interview that it was "just a fleck" and that they'd never made much of it anyway. Lying in plain sight is a particular stock in trade of the McCanns, you see.

As Sinead warbled at the end of the Kate and Gerry Show the camera pulled back to reveal Mair and the other guests enjoying the music. Inching back again, the camera revealed two empty chairs. A little surreal, but a fitting commentary, I thought.

Despite all, I feel the McScam days are numbered. There seems to be a distinct froideur developing between them and the Establishment. I believe they are in no-man's land in terms of protection now. You can see a desperation in them both. But the gigantic ego of GM cannot let go. He's built up an idea of himself as insuperable and influential and cannot believe it is all slipping away from him. Pride before a fall and all that.

But he is playing with fire. Once the Establishment turn on you, BOY, do they turn.

As Pat Brown once remarked: Why don't they just shut up?

Over to the "Who will crack first?" thread now!!!

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 17.02.13 11:17

Sharoni - thanks for your report on the interview - I just could not face listening to, or looking at, those dreadful people so early in the morning.

The man reminds me of an ambitious dictator who will soon be heading a newly formed `Ministry of Truth`.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 11:25

Story now in the Express as of 9 minutes ago...

McCanns hit out at press plans

Plans for a new press regulator backed by a Royal Charter are "a compromise of a compromise" that do not go far enough in holding the press to account, the parents of missing girl Madeleine McCann say.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378248/McCanns-hit-out-at-press-plans

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 17.02.13 11:26

Must say I held my breath when the interviewer asked GM what he would write if granted the power to draft something, as to the future power of the press.
I suspect he's already angling for that power.

He also had a whine that the press were not covering the minutes of his meetings, Diddums.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 11:27

And here is the story advertising they were to appear on the Andrew Marr show just before the headline above.......

McCanns to appear on BBC One's Andrew Marr show

KATE and Gerry McCann will make a high-profile broadcast on BBC One’s Andrew Marr show today as they pray for Scotland Yard detectives to make a breakthrough in the case of their missing daughter Madeleine.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378198/McCanns-to-appear-on-BBC-One-s-Andrew-Marr-show

From above article...

Scotland Yard says there is no “time frame” for its review but officers are widely expected to make a statement on how far they have got around May 3, the anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance.

Back to top Go down

Interesting choice of display quote on this BBC piece

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 11:35

BBC report
"We still have episodes where things are published which we'd prefer not to be”
Gerry McCann

McCanns decry Royal Charter press regulation 'compromise'

Mr McCann said Madeleine's safety was often treated with 'complete contempt'

Proposals to back new press regulations with a Royal Charter are "a compromise of a compromise", the parents of missing Madeleine McCann have said.

Kate and Gerry McCann said what the government was proposing was not what the Leveson report had recommended.

The Conservatives said their plans for a regulatory system which would be "tough" and effective and have received a cautious welcome from other parties.

Mr McCann said the press had "lost its entitlement to self regulation."

And yet the McCanns have not lost their entitlement to be left in charge of children.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 11:44

candyfloss wrote:And here is the story advertising they were to appear on the Andrew Marr show just before the headline above.......

McCanns to appear on BBC One's Andrew Marr show

KATE and Gerry McCann will make a high-profile broadcast on BBC One’s Andrew Marr show today as they pray for Scotland Yard detectives to make a breakthrough in the case of their missing daughter Madeleine.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378198/McCanns-to-appear-on-BBC-One-s-Andrew-Marr-show

From above article...

Scotland Yard says there is no “time frame” for its review but officers are widely expected to make a statement on how far they have got around May 3, the anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance.

Notice the last comment on -when SY call it quits- the McCs will have to consider how they will reopen their own costly investigation?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

And the Express is not risking any comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr What on 17.02.13 11:53

GM: " Madeleine and her safety is often treated with contempt".

Well it was in May 2007, wasn't it!

Dr What

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Beeton on 17.02.13 11:54

[quote="Mirage"]

The stand-out for me was Kate's complaint about the newspaper front page spread, the Russian one I assume. She complained to the editor and got a cold-shoulder reply telling her to shove off, basically - we know more than you how to go about publicising missing children. ("We know more than you do... " - shades of outside a Lisbon court, I thought). She seemed right on the edge there for a moment until Geraldo picked up the baton. Full of righteous indignation, he was, spitting spleen about the newspaper's "complete and utter contempt for Madeleine's safety." End quote

And that tells us exactly why they want the Press to be gagged, sorry I mean regulated! Shame on Dame Helena Kennedy for supporting this.

Mrs Beeton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 17.02.13 11:57

It might have been better to hand over 3M to the FBI and let them go over it, without a brief from Cameron.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.02.13 12:04

Thanks for your post sharonl

Point no. 13 - There must be an insistence on accuracy.

I imagine many thousands of people the world over would agree with that - starting with the police statements given after Maddie's disappearance.

Who is this man who thinks he can (in fact does) hold interview after interview telling us all how things should be done.

Why doesn't he stick to his day job. He hardly seems to be at his hospital post. Who is tending his patients when he is not there.?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 12:08

[quote="Mrs Beeton"]
@Mirage wrote:

The stand-out for me was Kate's complaint about the newspaper front page spread, the Russian one I assume. She complained to the editor and got a cold-shoulder reply telling her to shove off, basically - we know more than you how to go about publicising missing children. ("We know more than you do... " - shades of outside a Lisbon court, I thought). She seemed right on the edge there for a moment until Geraldo picked up the baton. Full of righteous indignation, he was, spitting spleen about the newspaper's "complete and utter contempt for Madeleine's safety." End quote

And that tells us exactly why they want the Press to be gagged, sorry I mean regulated! Shame on Dame Helena Kennedy for supporting this.

The funny thing is, KM always manages to put not just one but even two feet into her own mouth: who would have known about the brush-off and small regard they are held in, if she hadn't advertised it herself just now?

If the point of the whole excercise was to hoist dapper Gerry on a public pedestal preparing for him to run for political office, than it has failed today, thanks to Kate and her total inability to even pretend to be socially acceptable.

One shudders at the thought what will happen when the Media -having had enough of being goaded and ridiculed by the pair, come out full throttle, which they will.

Back to top Go down

Post by sammyc on 17.02.13 12:19

Oops Kate, at 1.17minutes into the clip it shows you stating at the Leveson Enquiry about being 'a grieving mother'. According to you and Gerry Madeleine was abducted and is definitely alive still out there and findable so why were you grieving? Bizarre choice of word. Let's hope more people picked up on that remark on today's show than watched your performance at the Enquiry.

sammyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Beeton on 17.02.13 12:20

Decent journalists must feel really emasculated and peed off with the whole charade. I hope revenge is sweet and protracted! I wonder if there was any conversation with Sinead O' Connor on the show? She is not usually backwards in coming forwards with her opinions and I can't see her being in favour of statutory regulation of the press.

Mrs Beeton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.02.13 12:49

@Mrs Beeton wrote:Decent journalists must feel really emasculated and peed off with the whole charade. I hope revenge is sweet and protracted! I wonder if there was any conversation with Sinead O' Connor on the show? She is not usually backwards in coming forwards with her opinions and I can't see her being in favour of statutory regulation of the press.

What a funny thought, Mrs Beeton. I can't see them agreeing on religion or anything else for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 17.02.13 13:01

Madeleine McCann's parents attack 'compromise' response to Leveson

Kate and Gerry McCann call on government to abandon proposal for royal charter and introduce statutory regulation.

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 February 2013 12.29 GMT Jump to comments (0)

Kate McCann said on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that the government's response to the Leveson report was 'a compromise of a compromise'. Photograph: BBC/PA
The press has lost its entitlement to self-regulate and the government's post-Leveson proposals are a "compromise of a compromise", the parents of missing child Madeleine McCann have said.
Last week the government said it would not introduce new legislation to regulate the press but would instead push ahead with a watchdog underpinned by royal charter to avoid conflicts around media freedom.
Gerry McCann said the government should reverse its decision and introduce statutory regulation so as not to leave the public bereft of protection.
Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, he also criticised the government's process for responding to Lord Justice Leveson's findings which he said ran contrary to the inquiry.
"A major part of Leveson was acknowledging that the press has got too close to politicians," he said. Yet ahead of the government's response, editors and ministers were "having a number of private meetings, the
minutes are not published, the discussions are not published … That leads to serious concerns about the independence of what's been proposed".
"They [the press] are getting a last chance at self-regulation … [it is] a step too far," he said.
Madeleine was nearly four when she vanished from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in the Algarve, where she had been left by her parents as they dined at a tapas restaurant with friends nearby on 3 May 2007.
Leveson cited the coverage of her disappearance as an example of how stories ran "totally out of control". Kate McCann described the Leveson inquiry as "a painstaking process" but said the judge's final proposals were
balanced and fair to all parties. She said, however, that in a chartered watchdog, the government had offered a "compromise of a compromise". "Why do the press not want to be accountable like everyone else? The press are the first to hold people in authority to account."
The McCanns also spoke about a recent dispute with a newspaper editor, following the publication of a story involving a police lead that they said had "not been fully explored" and that they did not want published.
"It is something we raised at Leveson that Madeleine and her safety is often treated with complete contempt,"
Gerry McCann said. "I wrote to the editor of the newspaper and explained my concerns," Kate McCann said. "And I have to say I got a reply back which made my blood boil. It was basically telling me that they knew what was best for Madeleine, that they knew what was best for missing children so despite what we as parents thought, despite what the Metropolitan police thought, they knew what was best.
"And that is really concerning, post-Leveson inquiry, that this is the kind of response we are getting. I believe if the royal charter goes through, we'll not be better off and this is one opportunity that might not come again."
Earlier, John Witherow, the acting editor of the Times and a former long-serving editor of the Sunday Times, told
presenter Eddie Mair that the proposal for a royal charter "had teeth" and took in many of Leveson's recommendations without the need for legislation.

"What is on the table is very tough on the press," he said.
article ends here.

I see that the Guardian are not playing the 'fawning to the McSpams' at all. Highlighted in red,

"Madeleine was nearly four when she vanished from her family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in the Algarve, where she had been left by her parents as they dined at a tapas restaurant with friends nearby on 3 May 2007'.
The article ends with a strong statement which gives more than a balance to the whingeing McCs.
No comments so far.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 17.02.13 13:08

From a 2007 BBC interview with Sinead O'Connor:

O'Connor had been placed in the reform school after suffering
years of violent abuse from her mother.

"My mother was an extremely violent person," she said,
"Someone who wasn't well... When my father was present, my mother wouldn't be
violent - but when my father left for any length of time she became
violent."

When her parents split up, the judge described her mother's
behaviour as 'extremely barbaric' and gave custody of Sinead and two of her
sibblings to her father.

But Sinead said that she'd been traumatised to leave her
mother went back to live with her.

"In hindsight, that wasn't the wisest idea because things got
a little rough," she said, "But still I probably wouldn't regret that decision
because you love your mother - it doesn't matter what she's like."

Unfortunately the abuse continued.

"She used to drive me and my sister around with collection
boxes pretending they were for charity," she said, "Myself and my sister would
go into pubs and collect hundreds of pounds and bring them home and my mother
would take the money."

It was this sort of behaviour - together with her
non-attendance at school - which led to her being sent to Catholic reform school
at the age of 14.

"That was really where I was coming from. As a survivor of
child abuse myself, I could see the horror of what was being done to these
survivors"

"While it was very traumatic, it was the best thing that ever
happened to me actually," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/outlook/news/story/2007/07/070709_oconnorstory_eire.shtml

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum