The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Report from McCanns v Bennett 6 Feb 2013

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Report from McCanns v Bennett 6 Feb 2013

Post by stargazer59 on 06.02.13 18:51

Tony , you are exhausted after the adrenaline of the last few weeks.

Just remember you did Madeleine proud

stargazer59

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by statsman on 06.02.13 18:53

"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized, cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered"
Martin Luther King

IMO Tony is the finest living example of someone who has never lost his dignity. MLK would have been proud of him!

statsman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange on 06.02.13 18:53

Very well done Tony, I hope you can wind down and get some much needed rest. Warm wishes to you and your family, who have surely been suffering with you.

Ange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 06.02.13 18:58

My very best wishes to you and your family, in particular Mrs Bennett. I hope you can enjoy a well deserved rest. Now do something for you and yours roses

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.02.13 19:00

So presumably, if the McCanns don't wish to punish Tony, they won't want him to be forced to sell his house in order to pay the massive legal fees they've racked up for this case? Is that right? That should certainly make Tony sleep more easily if so. I wonder who will be expected to cover those costs though?

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 06.02.13 19:01

Thanks for the update Tony.

Admirable achievement.

Absolutely well done.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.02.13 19:09

@Tony Bennett wrote:UPDATE:

As has correctly been stated on the other thread, Court rose at just before 1pm, afer closing submissions, Adrienne Page Q.C. first, then mine.

The judgment of Mr Justice Tugendhat will be given in open court, probably in more like 2 weeks' time than one. At that hearing, should he find that I breached one or more undertakings, I will be given the chance to enter a plea of mitigation, i.e. argue for a lighter punishment for any contempt.

Once again, Mr Justice Tugendhat made it quite clear that court orders, injunctions and undertakings must be strictly obeyed until set aside one way or the other, varied or revoked, whatever may be said about the circumstances under which they were obtained, about how oppressive or restrictive they were, and no matter how many police officers, officials, journalists, authors, bloggers, forum owners, websites, YouTube video-makers and other individuals say exactly the same as I do and as Dr Goncalo Amaral does.

Adrienne Page Q.C., did make one important submission right at the end of the proceedings.

As far as I can recall, she said:

"My Lord, my clients wish to make clear in the light of press reports today that they do not wish for Mr Bennett to be sent to prison, nor do they want to punish him in any way; all they want to do is to ensure that he stops what he has been doing".

After coming out of court, I was caught by a journalist from BBC East Midlands (it might have been the one who falsely accused Dr Amaral of saying 'F___ the McCanns', I am not sure) and I was interviewed on camera for a few minutes outside the High Court. I think I gave reasonably clear and coherent answers. There may be a small item about it on BBC TV East Midlands tonight.

I was also interviewed by James Murray from the Daily Express who was a pleasant enough gentleman who was especially interested in my reference in court to the McCanns having spent so much money (around £4 million) using 17 different solicitors I gave him a print-out of the article on this forum which lists them all.

Once again, the support for me in Court was wonderful. On both days they had to put 'COURT FULL' notices outside Court 14 - only about 30 people are allowed on the back three tiers of benches, and they soon filled up.

Finally, please don't expect any further replies from me here, nor am I likely to be able to reply to any more e-mails, 'pm's or 'phone calls for at least a few days, I am going away for a complete break.

Once again, Mr Justice Tugendhat made it quite clear that court orders,
injunctions and undertakings must be strictly obeyed until set aside one
way or the other, varied or revoked, whatever may be said about the
circumstances under which they were obtained, about how oppressive or
restrictive they were, and no matter how many police officers,
officials, journalists, authors, bloggers, forum owners, websites,
YouTube video-makers and other individuals say exactly the same as I do
and as Dr Goncalo Amaral does.

A. Judge T is right. Pacta sunt servanda. A man a man, a word a word. But mitigating circumstances should -in reason- be taken into account when setting the penalty. If any. Now the McCs have agreed there shouldn't be any, that's settled then.

B. The Judge is remarkably well aware of the conundrum outside his courtroom. Food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by McCant on 06.02.13 19:15

@tasprin wrote:
@tiny wrote:Funny only NOW they dont want tony sent to jail,you really did frighten them Tony.hope you have a nice few days away,you deserve it.
Commital to prison was the objective of this hearing wasn't it? They'd have him banged up if it wasn't for the fact that he has a huge amount of support and so many are people interested in the outcome. They want to be seen as merciful not vengeful - that's not good PR. Plus, they were probably advised that Tony would not receive a custodial sentence and want to pre-empt the judgement by making it appear that the judge came to that decision because of their intervention.
Very best wishes Tony.

Pre-empting has been a McCann speciality from the very beginning. I seem to recall Kate getting in the bit about “possible sedation” of the twins before anything had even been said; and, in the early days, didn’t she say that she thought Madeleine was dead when she suspected that the PJ believed she was dead? Pre-empt, pre-empt; but they’ve since decided that there’s ‘no evidence’ of this possibility, so no-one’s allowed to talk about this possibility anymore..

McCant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 06.02.13 19:27

How very magnanimous of the McCanns, pity they didn't send this message before the event. It would have made it slightly more believable imo.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 06.02.13 19:29

Sounds promising. As regards posting a word for word transcript of the hearing if I were TB I would keep my own counsell until after the Judge has made known TB's "punishment".
No jail and no costs awarded PLEASE.
To have racked up bills of 288 grand and then at the end of it all say that they only want TB to cease commenting/posting his views then I think that is ridiculous. What was the point of it all?

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
Rolling Eyes

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 on 06.02.13 19:30

Popcorn Today at 7:00 pm

So
presumably, if the McCanns don't wish to punish Tony, they won't want
him to be forced to sell his house in order to pay the massive legal
fees they've racked up for this case? Is that right? That should
certainly make Tony sleep more easily if so. I wonder who will be expected to cover those costs though?

Well, the McCanns' always wanted money, Popcorn and I bet they are now thinking that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I bet they would much rather make Tony sweat about going to jail, then play the all-forgiving, holier than thou card and say actually they don't want him to go to jail but they do want him to pay all costs - and if that means him having to sell his house, well how would that be their fault?
A bit like Madeleine having a nose bleed in apartment 5A.

Casey5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by McCant on 06.02.13 19:36

The McCanns can’t win. The game is up, and they know it, yet they’re still flogging ‘Find Maddie’ stuff from their online store – car stickers, wrist bands, T-shirts etc… even wallet cards and luggage tags. They’re stark raving mad.

McCant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 06.02.13 19:40

Tony, you have done more for justice than can be counted.
The mighty have been reduced to their knees, just as indicated by their PR backtracking declaration today.
Have that rest now that you and all of your family so truly deserve.
I think as the days go by, whatever the Judge may subsequently say, you have felled the dragon.
The news reports for the first time that I can recall, have been quite different from the former sycophantic ones.
You stood high and firm and they will not be drinking champagne tonight if they are at all in recognition of what really happened in that court room today.
to you, your supportive family and friends, and the time now to reflect on what has been achieved.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 06.02.13 19:53

So much for these 4 top libel lawyers,they are a disgrace,they have tried to frighten Tony to death and now their clients dont want Tony to go to jail
just want to stop him doing what he has been doing,i am so angry at how they have treated Tony and now by saying this they THINK it makes it allright
sorry to harp on about this but they could have caused Tony some very serious health issues,the mccanns are the lowest of the low and i hope they rot in hell

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 06.02.13 19:59

snipped from Tony's report
Adrienne Page Q.C., did make one important submission right at the end of the proceedings.

As far as I can recall, she said:

"My
Lord, my clients wish to make clear in the light of press reports today
that they do not wish for Mr Bennett to be sent to prison, nor do they
want to punish him in any way; all they want to do is to ensure that he
stops what he has been doing".
end snipped.

What a good way to use up a spare £32,000 knocking about in the slush fund ! (or someone else's private account).
That's why A. Page was called in, so that she could add her superior weight to the fact that press reports and informed public opinion going awol are a thing of great awe.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 06.02.13 20:00

@tiny wrote:So much for these 4 top libel lawyers,they are a disgrace,they have tried to frighten Tony to death and now their clients dont want Tony to go to jail
just want to stop him doing what he has been doing,i am so angry at how they have treated Tony and now by saying this they THINK it makes it allright
sorry to harp on about this but they could have caused Tony some very serious health issues,the mccanns are the lowest of the low and i hope they rot in hell
Smacks of vexatious litigation.

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.02.13 20:01

@tiny wrote:So much for these 4 top libel lawyers,they are a disgrace,they have tried to frighten Tony to death and now their clients dont want Tony to go to jail
And you wonder why they call "us" haters ... ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange on 06.02.13 20:03

@McCant wrote:
Pre-empting has been a McCann speciality from the very beginning. I seem to recall Kate getting in the bit about “possible sedation” of the twins before anything had even been said; and, in the early days, didn’t she say that she thought Madeleine was dead when she suspected that the PJ believed she was dead? Pre-empt, pre-empt; but they’ve since decided that there’s ‘no evidence’ of this possibility, so no-one’s allowed to talk about this possibility anymore..

BBM: That only applies to Mr Tony Bennett, shockingly. Every other person in the world can, making a mockery of the position Tony finds himself in. banghead

Ange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 06.02.13 20:06

Well done Tony. You must have had a horrendous time recently preparing yourself for this case. Congratulations on performing so admirably. I hope the judge does as much as he as permitted to within the parameters he has stated. The statement by Ms Page is certainly encouraging.

Best wishes and enjoy a well deserved break.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 06.02.13 20:10

Châtelaine wrote:
And you wonder why they call "us" haters ... ?
oh i see your quite happy then that they caused all this distress to Tony.and for the record i do hate the mccanns,ok. I am as intitled to my opinion as you are yours....and if you dont like my opinion then thats tough

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sami on 06.02.13 20:10

So glad to hear things went ok today. Have a good rest, what will be, will be. Good will always win out in the end.

I hope the McCanns statement is an indication of them closing the gate after the horse. Rather strange behaviour, if you go to court with that fire power, you surely want a result ? What is it they want now ? Tony to say sorry and write 4 million lines saying I promise to never speak of Madeleine again ?

If I were that judge I would be pretty peed off with statement. What a waste of time and money.

sami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beanie on 06.02.13 20:12

Thank you Tony for taking the time to update us, and enjoy your well earned rest.

Beanie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.02.13 20:19

@plebgate wrote:Sounds promising. As regards posting a word for word transcript of the hearing if I were TB I would keep my own counsell until after the Judge has made known TB's "punishment".
No jail and no costs awarded PLEASE.
To have racked up bills of 288 grand and then at the end of it all say that they only want TB to cease commenting/posting his views then I think that is ridiculous. What was the point of it all?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 06.02.13 20:19

Very well done Tony for the way I hear you conducted yourself these past two days . I'm glad the trial itself is over. What a relief! Enjoy your well deserved break

I'd also like to commend the supporters who made it to court. Thank you

With regards to what appears to be the McCanns backing down (though I believe Martorell may have made the claim to Tony previously that the couple didn't want to send him to prison), be under no illusion that Adrienne Page's little speech was for the benefit of the assembled press. I doubt she would have said anything of the kind had the press not been in court yesterday compounded by the fact the Daily Star then published an article. Also, hearing that East Midlands Today were also covering the story- regardless of the spin they may try to put on it- may not have gone down well with the couple.

Once again, well done Tony

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.02.13 20:21

Popcorn wrote:So presumably, if the McCanns don't wish to punish Tony, they won't want him to be forced to sell his house in order to pay the massive legal fees they've racked up for this case? Is that right? That should certainly make Tony sleep more easily if so. I wonder who will be expected to cover those costs though?

Bear, bear,

All those gullible and beguiled innocents who still are putting their pensions in an enveloppe addressed to 'Kate & Gerry, Rotley, England'

Poised for another round of the begging bowl,

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum