The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Barry George loses compensation case

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Barry George loses compensation case

Post by sallypelt on 25.01.13 16:19

I don't know where to put this latest news regarding compensation, but please move or delete if it's felt that it's not appropriate

Barry George, wrongly convicted of the murder of BBC TV presenter Jill Dando, has lost a bid for compensation.

Previously, compensation was only awarded for a miscarriage of justice if a claimant could effectively prove they were innocent.

But the nine Supreme Court judges widened this by saying that if a person could prove that no set of circumstances could possibly lead to their conviction by a jury, they could get compensation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21195269

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Barry George loses compensation case

Post by monkey mind on 25.01.13 17:02

The law truly is an ass. The assist of asses.
Deprived of his liberty to endure who knows what for eight years in a prison for a crime he patently did not commit after being convicted on the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence.
No compensation.
Didn’t get an official apology either.
Did Redwood have something to do with that case?
Doesn’t fill one with confidence does it.

monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 25.01.13 17:08

truely disgusting,what in gods name is this country coming to

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmNotMerylStreep on 25.01.13 17:22

@monkey mind wrote:Did Redwood have something to do with that case?

I expect it fills Kate and Gerry with confidence, though, which is all that matters to them in this case.

IAmNotMerylStreep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 25.01.13 17:43

@IAmNotMerylStreep wrote:

I expect it fills Kate and Gerry with confidence, though, which is all that matters to them in this case.

I was of the opposite opinion. I was thinking that because the McCann's CAN'T prove they didn't harm their child, then they can't make a claim.

What do others think about it?

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmNotMerylStreep on 25.01.13 17:58

@sallypelt wrote:
@IAmNotMerylStreep wrote:

I was of the opposite opinion. I was thinking that because the McCann's CAN'T prove they didn't harm their child, then they can't make a claim.

What do others think about it?

What I meant was DCI Redwood helped with a cover up which is what is important to the McC's.

IAmNotMerylStreep

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 18:34

I'm glad he didn't get compensation. I think he did it. Just not enough evidence to convict him.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 18:45

I just don't think he had the mental ability to carry out this crime. I accept that he had been a danger to women in the past though.

I hope that one day we find out who was responsible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 18:54

@Olive_Boyle wrote:I'm glad he didn't get compensation. I think he did it. Just not enough evidence to convict him.
He'll get it eventually Good luck, Barry. Not a chance he did it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 19:18

@Olive_Boyle wrote:I'm glad he didn't get compensation. I think he did it. Just not enough evidence to convict him.

What evidence was there? It's OK I will google it. I wonder how many people who have convictions quashed after years actually were found to have been guilty after all.

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 19:52

I remember watching a documentary at the time he was convicted. Other than the gun residue, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence but it all pointed to him being the killer in my opinion.

He is not a likable fool that's been stitched up. He was well known for sexually assaulting women and didn't he get put away for attempted rape. If his mental ability allows him to do this it will allow him to murder.

And as for all the conspiracy theories put out there about Serbian Mafia killing her they are just ridiculous.

I'm glad he doesn't live near me that is all I can say.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 19:54

@Inspectorfrost wrote:

What evidence was there? It's OK I will google it. I wonder how many people who have convictions quashed after years actually were found to have been guilty after all.

One of the weakest prosecution cases ever, might even be the weakest. One woman was positive she'd seen him in Dando's street (over four hours before the murder though) and a FSS expert linked a single gunshot residue particle found in George's coat to Dando. He later claimed he hadn't meant his evidence to carry the weight it did, because the coat may have been contaminated by police before it got to the lab. But that fact wasn't heard at George's first trial.

That was it for evidence I think, apart from them claiming George was obsessed with Dando and that he seemed desperate to establish an alibi (George's family say he had previously been harassed by police, including over Rachel Nickell's murder, and that's why he wanted to establish exactly where he was when Dando was shot.)

Not our justice system's finest hour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 19:55

I do think that there have been cases where people have been found guilty, then cleared when they possibly shouldn't have been. The one that springs to mind is the murder of Alison Shaughnessy in 1991 if anyone wants to read up about it.

In Barry George's case I believe that the only thing found was a speck of gunpowder which could have come from a firework.

He acted suspiciously by rushing around trying to get people to confirm his whereabouts on the fateful day but his mental health needs to be taken into account. I understand that he had been interviewed a few years earlier in connection with the Rachel Nickell murder on Wimbledon Common and he feared that he would again be a suspect, as was indeed to prove the case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 20:09

Go and read his wiki page about his previous convictions - this ain't some dimwit who wasn't capable of violence. The bloke is a scary loon.

And do you remember the picture taken of him with the gun?

I just can't fill sorry for him and think the world was a safer place while he was away for 8 years.

Fair enough though that there weren't enough evidence to convict him, I'm not that stupid to know that you can't put someone away without this.

Maybe one day people will be saying the same thing about the McCanns because (if that case ever gets to trial) I bet most of the evidence for that will be circumstantial.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 20:31

@Olive_Boyle wrote:Go and read his wiki page about his previous convictions - this ain't some dimwit who wasn't capable of violence. The bloke is a scary loon.

And do you remember the picture taken of him with the gun?

I just can't fill sorry for him and think the world was a safer place while he was away for 8 years.

Fair enough though that there weren't enough evidence to convict him, I'm not that stupid to know that you can't put someone away without this.

Maybe one day people will be saying the same thing about the McCanns because (if that case ever gets to trial) I bet most of the evidence for that will be circumstantial.
You don't have to feel sorry for him, but he deserves his compensation like anybody else. The FSS expert now says he told the prosecution after the first trial that the gunshot particle evidence wasn't strong. But they never told George's defence, so that wasn't heard at the first Appeal either.

Even after the second Appeal was successful they still insisted on having a new trial and kept him in prison for another eight months. It was disgraceful to prosecute him twice with so little evidence don't you think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 20:47

As I said I don't feel sorry for him so no, having 2 trials and staying in prison for an extra 8 months, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

And yes technically he may deserve compensation for being wrongfully convicted but I'm glad he didn't get it.

I'm fed up of reading about poor old Barry George with everyone making him out to be a nice guy. There's no poor about the sicko, whether he killed Jill Dando or not.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 22:28

@Olive_Boyle wrote:I remember watching a documentary at the time he was convicted. Other than the gun residue, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence but it all pointed to him being the killer in my opinion.

He is not a likable fool that's been stitched up. He was well known for sexually assaulting women and didn't he get put away for attempted rape. If his mental ability allows him to do this it will allow him to murder.

And as for all the conspiracy theories put out there about Serbian Mafia killing her they are just ridiculous.

I'm glad he doesn't live near me that is all I can say.

what was the motive in your opinion?

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 22:31

tcat wrote:
@Inspectorfrost wrote:

One of the weakest prosecution cases ever, might even be the weakest. One woman was positive she'd seen him in Dando's street (over four hours before the murder though) and a FSS expert linked a single gunshot residue particle found in George's coat to Dando. He later claimed he hadn't meant his evidence to carry the weight it did, because the coat may have been contaminated by police before it got to the lab. But that fact wasn't heard at George's first trial.

That was it for evidence I think, apart from them claiming George was obsessed with Dando and that he seemed desperate to establish an alibi (George's family say he had previously been harassed by police, including over Rachel Nickell's murder, and that's why he wanted to establish exactly where he was when Dando was shot.)

Agree with that. Nothing solid whatsoever and the sum of the circumstantial evidence is pretty nil though I wonder why the gunshot residue might be said to be from fireworks, when she was murdered in april?

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 22:50

@Inspectorfrost wrote:
tcat wrote:
@Inspectorfrost wrote:

Agree with that. Nothing solid whatsoever and the sum of the circumstantial evidence is pretty nil though I wonder why the gunshot residue might be said to be from fireworks, when she was murdered in april?
It was over a year later when they arrested Barry George and took his coat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 22:52

Jean wrote:I do think that there have been cases where people have been found guilty, then cleared when they possibly shouldn't have been. The one that springs to mind is the murder of Alison Shaughnessy in 1991 if anyone wants to read up about it.

In Barry George's case I believe that the only thing found was a speck of gunpowder which could have come from a firework.

He acted suspiciously by rushing around trying to get people to confirm his whereabouts on the fateful day but his mental health needs to be taken into account. I understand that he had been interviewed a few years earlier in connection with the Rachel Nickell murder on Wimbledon Common and he feared that he would again be a suspect, as was indeed to prove the case.

That is evidence that is wasnt him!!!

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 22:54

@Olive_Boyle wrote:As I said I don't feel sorry for him so no, having 2 trials and staying in prison for an extra 8 months, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

And yes technically he may deserve compensation for being wrongfully convicted but I'm glad he didn't get it.

I'm fed up of reading about poor old Barry George with everyone making him out to be a nice guy. There's no poor about the sicko, whether he killed Jill Dando or not.

Oh so you think him being accused charged and convicted and serving time for murder is ok even if he didnt do it? Thats scary

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost on 25.01.13 22:58

Thanks Tcat on the info when he was arrested. All in all flimsy at best. Jill Dando was executed clinically. B George for all his failings didn't seem to be a mafioso type

Inspectorfrost

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.01.13 22:59

@Olive_Boyle wrote:As I said I don't feel sorry for him so no, having 2 trials and staying in prison for an extra 8 months, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You'll be gutted then when he finally wins his compensation

Go on, Barry lad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 23:10

His motive - that he was a mentally deranged and an obsessed psychopath.

He had obsessive tendencies towards celebrities. She lived round the corner. I'm sure he knew this. Maybe he'd seen her before on occasions. She became his obsession. Proof is there that he was a violent nutter.

This is all my opinion obviously but you asked for a scenario and that's what I think.

The Police don't seem to even have had a sniff at another suspect and I'm sure I read that they arn't going to re-open the case. Which might suggest they really believe they got their man. Maybe they know stuff that we don't.

People say he wasn't clever enough to plan/commit this crime. I say he got lucky.

Fair enough if you think he didn't do it. I could well be wrong. I suspect we will never know the truth.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Olive_Boyle on 25.01.13 23:11

tcat wrote:

You'll be gutted then when he finally wins his compensation

Go on, Barry lad.

I feel more gutted that you support a man that attacks and tries to rape women.

Olive_Boyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum