The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Inspectorfrost on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

A scotsman swindled out of of 300,000 pounds and has had nothing to say about it? Not even an apology or statement of any kind about it to all those people who donated to his fund. Quite bizarre, and sounds off the alarm bells.

Kate Mccann went on Daybreak and said her role was to generate income. She of all people would have been livid at best if someone stole all that money off them. Quiet on that front too it seems. perhaps she said something like they were disappointed.

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by PeterMac on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 am

Here's a thought.
Halligen was said to have had flashes of insight, even through his heavy drinking phases, and to be able to handle and process large amounts of information

What if . . .
He worked it all out and told TM and the lawyers and CM exactly what happened.
Might that account for their all now distancing themselves and not rattling the cage.

Silly thought !

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

Not so terribly silly, Peter ;-)

It would IMO also be in line with the other PIs, who all fell quite quiet after a while.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by PeterMac on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am

Châtelaine wrote:Not so terribly silly, Peter ;-)

It would IMO also be in line with the other PIs, who all fell quite quiet after a while.
I appended "Silly thought" for the benefit of eavesdroppers and spies.
They can now make of it what they will.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by aiyoyo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 pm

@Ribisl wrote:
A self-styled security consultant accused of swindling the Madeleine McCann fund out of £300,000 is to be extradited to the United States this week to face fraud charges.
I am a bit confused. Who exactly is accusing him of 'swindling'? Is it the DM reporter writing these headlines? Have the McCanns made a public complaint after appointing him in the first place? Or is this simply a media campaign in their effort to disassociate themselves from someone who is being extradited to face fraud charges?

Ribisi, I think it's rather the other way round - it's a media campaign to deliberately associate themselves to someone facing fraud charges; although one suspects (likely correctly) that the fraud charges have nothing to do with Mccanns' case.

Question is: from where did the press get hold of the $300K figure - have they got it from the *source* close to Mccanns?
How can it be verified that the reported figure is indeed the amount Halligen got paid by the Fund?

As no one knows the remit or terms of the contract, and since the Mccanns did not report the fraud, how can it be right for the Press to assume the Mccanns were conned. Alright, the Mccanns hired a con-man, but that is not the same as saying they were swindled by the man.

So one is left wondering how come the Press associates Halligen's fraud charges to the Mccanns' case?
Who in the whole wide world could have given the Press that idea - from the horse's mouth?

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by ShuBob on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm

@aiyoyo wrote:
@Ribisl wrote:
A self-styled security consultant accused of swindling the Madeleine McCann fund out of £300,000 is to be extradited to the United States this week to face fraud charges.
I am a bit confused. Who exactly is accusing him of 'swindling'? Is it the DM reporter writing these headlines? Have the McCanns made a public complaint after appointing him in the first place? Or is this simply a media campaign in their effort to disassociate themselves from someone who is being extradited to face fraud charges?

Ribisi, I think it's rather the other way round - it's a media campaign to deliberately associate themselves to someone facing fraud charges; although one suspects (likely correctly) that the fraud charges have nothing to do with Mccanns' case.

Question is: from where did the press get hold of the $300K figure - have they got it from the *source* close to Mccanns?
How can it be verified that the reported figure is indeed the amount Halligen got paid by the Fund?

As no one knows the remit or terms of the contract, and since the Mccanns did not report the fraud, how can it be right for the Press to assume the Mccanns were conned. Alright, the Mccanns hired a con-man, but that is not the same as saying they were swindled by the man.

So one is left wondering how come the Press associates Halligen's fraud charges to the Mccanns' case?
Who in the whole wide world could have given the Press that idea - from the horse's mouth?

Aiyoyo, in answer to the part of your post I've highlighted, here's a post I made on the previous page:

@ShuBob wrote:

To add to the confusion, here's Clarence Mitchell's reported reaction to Halligen's arrest having previously denied that he swindled the Fund:

'"Family spokesman Mr Mitchell said: "We are glad this man was tracked down. It is distressing someone would seek to make money out of Madeleine."'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2746506/Maddie-rat-Kevin-Halligen-tried-to-sue-FindMadeleine-fund-for-150k.html

Note that one of the authors of the Sun article is Antonella Lazzeri. I will say no more.

ShuBob

Posts : 1893
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by aiyoyo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

@ShuBob wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@Ribisl wrote:
A self-styled security consultant accused of swindling the Madeleine McCann fund out of £300,000 is to be extradited to the United States this week to face fraud charges.
I am a bit confused. Who exactly is accusing him of 'swindling'? Is it the DM reporter writing these headlines? Have the McCanns made a public complaint after appointing him in the first place? Or is this simply a media campaign in their effort to disassociate themselves from someone who is being extradited to face fraud charges?

Ribisi, I think it's rather the other way round - it's a media campaign to deliberately associate themselves to someone facing fraud charges; although one suspects (likely correctly) that the fraud charges have nothing to do with Mccanns' case.

Question is: from where did the press get hold of the $300K figure - have they got it from the *source* close to Mccanns?
How can it be verified that the reported figure is indeed the amount Halligen got paid by the Fund?

As no one knows the remit or terms of the contract, and since the Mccanns did not report the fraud, how can it be right for the Press to assume the Mccanns were conned. Alright, the Mccanns hired a con-man, but that is not the same as saying they were swindled by the man.

So one is left wondering how come the Press associates Halligen's fraud charges to the Mccanns' case?
Who in the whole wide world could have given the Press that idea - from the horse's mouth?

Aiyoyo, in answer to the part of your post I've highlighted, here's a post I made on the previous page:

@ShuBob wrote:

To add to the confusion, here's Clarence Mitchell's reported reaction to Halligen's arrest having previously denied that he swindled the Fund:

'"Family spokesman Mr Mitchell said: "We are glad this man was tracked down. It is distressing someone would seek to make money out of Madeleine."'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2746506/Maddie-rat-Kevin-Halligen-tried-to-sue-FindMadeleine-fund-for-150k.html

Note that one of the authors of the Sun article is Antonella Lazzeri. I will say no more.

HO HO HO...indeed Anonella Lazzeri is God sent Father Christmas for team Mccann.


aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

corrections@dailymail.co.uk

Post by tigger on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

corrections@dailymail.co.uk

Daily Mail now has a dedicated email address for corrections. They certainly need it. Another one for spelling mistakes might also be handy. big grin

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Inspectorfrost on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm

The fund accounts should prove how much they paid him.

Was the 300,000 perhaps the contract for all works to be done, but were not completed? It is possible he was paid hardly anything at all, if anything, and the papers have morphed the contract amount into monies actually paid for nothing? if so, the Mccanns and their spokesman should have made this clear.

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/m/press/18-Aug8/23_08_2008.htm

This article says KH drained the fund of 500,000

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Ribisl on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm

The Mail on Sunday has learned that double-glazing tycoon Brian Kennedy, who has been underwriting the fund's search for Madeleine, has conducted a review of the agency's work and has become unhappy with the progress it was making.

The deal was abruptly ended following a meeting last week after the fund brought in independent monitors to assess how the money was spent.
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/m/press/18-Aug8/23_08_2008.htm
According to this article the Fund's directors gave OI a six months contract paying around 80,000 a month which was not renewed. So they would have been paid close to 500,000 before the termination of the contract.

I understand the breakdown of expenditure was made available for the first year's accounts to March 2008 although I haven't seen it myself. But in the subsequent years no detailed information was published and therefore it is impossible to know from their financial reports alone how the donation was actually spent.

Nevertheless, if they signed on OI and their contract was not terminated till after the expiry of the term, then I am not sure how they can claim they had been 'swindled'. Lack of proper management appears more likely to be the case imo.

____________________
There is a taint of death, a flavour of mortality in lies... Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Ribisl

Posts : 807
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by ShuBob on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 pm

£300k or £500k in just six months is a lot of money to spend on one dodgy contractor. What exactly did he do for them?

ShuBob

Posts : 1893
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 pm

@ShuBob wrote:£300k or £500k in just six months is a lot of money to spend on one dodgy contractor. What exactly did he do for them?
***
Eh ... nothing ... or shut up ... IMO, of course, IMO

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by aiyoyo on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 am

@ShuBob wrote:£300k or £500k in just six months is a lot of money to spend on one dodgy contractor. What exactly did he do for them?

Here we are talking about a reportedly formidable reputation professional well versed and experienced with excellent past records (or so we were told by Mccanns' spoken creature) offered a handsome fee matching his reputation to deliver on the job, yet when he did not produce result after a month or two later, the pair of intelligent doctors and their shrewd advisors did not fire him. or at the very least stop paying him sooner. You would have to wonder why they continued to pay monthly for nearly six months before realising he was not fit for purpose?

$80K a month (paid on monthly basis) is a hell of a lot of money, probably Gerry's yearly gross pay . Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have been extremely cautious especially when spending OPM for the important purpose of searching for your missing first born. Which then begs the question how a pair of doctors with a knack for hiring the best lawyers and best PR in the land, ended up hiring a series of completely useless PIs, when the quality of PIs should matter more than the right lawyers or PR if the pivotal aim is the recovery of a missing child!

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by PeterMac on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 am

@aiyoyo wrote: Which then begs the question how a pair of doctors with a knack for hiring the best lawyers and best PR in the land, ended up hiring a series of completely useless PIs, when the quality of PIs should matter more than the right lawyers or PR if the pivotal aim is the recovery of a missing child!
I would re-phrase that as WHY ?

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:43 am

The same question applies to the dynamic duo of Crawley and Edgar but they did at least come up with the required result of "no parental involvement".

I can't help thinking that Kevin Halligen may indeed have "seen the light" after one bender too many!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine 'detective' from U.S accused of swindling £300k (DM headline wrongly says only £30k) from search fund extradited

Post by PeterMac on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am

We can only hope that the rest " shall see a great light."

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
How many of the group are living in the "shadow of death" ?

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum