The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Got any 'Famous Five' books lying around? They just could get a whole lot more valuable

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got any 'Famous Five' books lying around? They just could get a whole lot more valuable

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.11.12 9:14

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229022/Now-Brussels-takes-aim-Famous-Five-Books-portraying-traditional-families-barred.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Now Brussels takes aim at the Famous Five!

Books portraying 'traditional' families could be barred

Books that reinforce traditional roles can contribute to gender stereotyping, report says

Traditional stories can damage women's career opportunities, report's authors say

By James Chapman

PUBLISHED: 00:50, 7 November 2012 | UPDATED: 04:55, 7 November 2012
Comments (54)

Books which portray ‘traditional’ images of mothers caring for their children or fathers going out to work could be barred from schools under proposals from Brussels.

An EU report claims that ‘gender stereotyping’ in schools influences the perception of the way boys and girls should behave and damages women’s career opportunities in the future.

Critics said the proposals for ‘study materials’ to be amended so that men and women are no longer depicted in their traditional roles would mean the withdrawal of children’s classics, such as Enid Blyton’s The Famous Five series, Paddington Bear or Peter Pan.

Portrayals of 'traditional' families contribute to gender stereotyping

The document, prepared by the European Parliament’s Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality, also suggests EU-wide legislation is needed to tackle the way women are depicted in advertising during children’s television programmes.

It further complains about the number of women in EU parliaments, and floats the idea of fixed quotas on a minimum proportion of female MPs.

Lashings of fun as the Famous Five make TV comeback amid increasing demand for adventure stories

The report says: ‘Children are confronted with gender stereotypes at a very young age through television series, television advertisements, study materials and educational programmes, influencing their perception of how male and female characters should behave.

‘Special educational programmes and study materials should therefore be introduced in which men and women are no longer used in examples in their ‘traditional roles’, with the male as the breadwinner of the family and the female as the one who takes care of the children.’

Derring-do: The tales of adventure are set to fill a gap in the lives of many child who spend increasing time inside

The Famous Five and Peter Pan are all being scrutinised

The report adds: ‘With reference to media and advertisement, it must also be noted that unsupervised television viewing among children and youngsters starting at a very early age is on the rise.

‘Negative gender stereotypes can therefore have a significant influence on young women’s confidence and self-esteem, particularly on teenagers, resulting in a restriction of their aspirations, choices and possibilities for future career possibilities.’

Calling for EU ‘legislation’ to tackle the problem, the committee recommends: ‘Despite the EU’s commitment to equality between men and women, there is still a gap in legislation providing for non-discrimination against women and gender equality in the areas of social security, education and the media, emphasises the need for new legislation in these areas.’

The document calls on the European Commission to ‘take the issue of gender equality into account in all policy fields.’

Tim Aker, spokesman for Get Britain Out, a Eurosceptic campaign group, warned: ‘If the EU has its way, millions of youngster would be denied the pleasure of reading childhood classics such as Paddington Bear, Peter Pan or the Tiger Who Came to Tea because these books show mums and dads in so-called traditional roles.

‘The Eurozone is crumbling, millions are out of work and a generation of young Europeans face a bleak future. Yet the EU is spending its time concentrating on how to socially engineer our children. This politically correct report should be binned at once.’

June O’Sullivan, chief executive of the London Early Years Foundation, also criticised the draft recommendations. ‘We must not confuse political issues with how we present the world to children. The fact is most women take the caring roles and most men want to go out to work,’ she said.

‘You only need to stand at the school gates to see this. Stereotypes are such because they reflect a majority situation. Children are not easily fooled - they see what they see and no amount of manipulation of images will change their thinking.’

The proposals in the committee’s report are unlikely to win support from Britain. Brussels has been forced to postpone an attempt to set a legal quota for the proportion of women on company boards last month following opposition from the UK and some other member states.

The policy, championed by EU justice commissioner Viviane Reding, would make it mandatory for all publicly traded companies to fill 40 per cent of seats on their boards with women by 2020 or face hefty fines.

But opposition from several countries meant a postponement of in a vote on the issue last month. Miss Reding has vowed that that she ‘will not give up’ on her crusade, however, insisting: ‘Europe has a lot to gain from more diverse corporate boards.’

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Got any 'Famous Five' books lying around? They just could get a whole lot more valuable

Post by Guest on 07.11.12 9:22

I was an avid reader of practically everything by Enid Blyton but there is no doubt that, even in the 1950s and 1960s, the family situations therein were rather old-fashioned and I had problems relating to them.

Her books must now seem to modern readers as remote as the Victorian era is to me.

Back to top Go down

Re: Got any 'Famous Five' books lying around? They just could get a whole lot more valuable

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.11.12 9:27

Jean wrote:I was an avid reader of practically everything by Enid Blyton but there is no doubt that, even in the 1950s and 1960s, the family situations therein were rather old-fashioned and I had problems relating to them.

Her books must now seem to modern readers as remote as the Victorian era is to me.
They do a roaring trade in Enid Blyton books here:

http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/corfeshop.htm

...I even bought some of the 'Secret Seven' books there a few weeks ago for my grandson

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 07.11.12 9:39

Perhaps the following titles would be more up Brussel's street:

Five on a treasure benefits island

Five run away amok together

Five go to smuggler's top college

Five go off in a caravan police van

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 07.11.12 9:58

As for stereotypes - hardly - the Famous Five parents were largely absentee parents. Father was some top scientist and never there, mother - don't know what she did, but it wasn't look after the children. My recollection was that they had most interaction with Cook who made enormous seed cakes and provided them with lashings of ginger beer.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.11.12 10:44

If ever calling for something to be forbidden or limited, it should be the mass of cartoons thrown at pre-school children. Cartoons being 2-dimensional, it hampers the development of 3-dimensional thinking and understanding. Moreover a lot of these cartoons are pretty violent and plant wrong perceptions in a young child's mind. E.g. when Tom and Jerry hit each other over the head with a baseball bat, a huge lump appears which is gone again seconds later. If you do the same with your brother, neighbour boy or schoolmate he may end up in hospital with a broken skull ...

Having worked a good 20 years for the EU, I know loads of stupid reports and proposals. I stopped following those a while ago, after I couldn't stop laughing at the results of an expensive years-long research with experts concluding that it cannot be scientifically proven that drinking water helps against dehydration ... dance

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 07.11.12 13:01

Brussels shouldn`t be worried, after all Georgie was a tom-boy IIRC and acted more like a male than a female.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.11.12 16:06

@Woofer wrote:Brussels shouldn`t be worried, after all Georgie was a tom-boy IIRC and acted more like a male than a female.
Indeed, that's right. Presumably various officials in the 27 countries will now proscribe various books as being 'incompatible with gender equality on the grounds of inapppropriate gender roles'; first they will be banned from schools, then libraries, and finally there'll be site inspections of people's homes. Websites referring to Enid Blyton may be blocked.

But maybe there'll be a sort of European Tribunal on Gender Roles in Publications (ETGRP) which will meet from time to time and consider submissions from teachers, such as:

"As Georgie portrays a positive image of a girl who is not preconditioned by antiquated gender roles transmitted by parents and families, and thus forms a valuable role model for the European female of the future, I recommend that any Enid Blyton book with Georgie in it be removed from the European Union's list of banned books".

Of course, if such an application were to fail, we could maybe resort to having small printing presses in our cellars turning out samizdat publications

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 07.11.12 16:15

Oooohhh happy memories of Christmas morning with my new Enid Blyton book and a box of Dairy Milk assorted chocolates, both of which were finished by supper on Boxing day yes

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 07.11.12 16:25

Wait till they start on Hergé, and Tintin's attitudes to native peoples. And then they will ban the film "The Dambusters", which amazingly has not been censored yet.
Show Boat, the musical, has not been seen in its original form for ages.
Then "Othello", then "Merchant of Venice",
and then they will come for you.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.11.12 16:42

@PeterMac wrote:Wait till they start on Hergé, and Tintin's attitudes to native peoples. And then they will ban the film "The Dambusters", which amazingly has not been censored yet.
Surely the Pope and his evil cohorts exceeded all of those by successfully banning the Bible and killing people found reading it!

Mind you, England was a bit behind the French in burning people for reading Bibles, we didn't pass our Heresy Act until 1401:

THE COUNCIL OF TARRAGONA - 1234 A.D.

The Council of Tarragona of 1234, in its second canon, ruled that:

"No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments in the Romance language, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days after promulgation of this decree, so that they may be burned...."

- D. Lortsch, Historie de la Bible en France, 1910, p.14.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 07.11.12 16:53

Hold on, hasn't a European leader tried to do this before? Restricting access to books? Banning certain material. If I only I could remember his name, oh yes, that was it, Adolf Hitler.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 07.11.12 16:58

And more recently someone has commented
"The advent of the digital age has resulted in an immense collection of written work being catalogued exclusively or primarily in digital form. The intentional deletion or removal of these works has been often referred to as a new form of book burning."
As indeed it is.
The only saving grace is that every computer in the world has a cache memory and most will survive

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.11.12 16:58

@uppatoffee wrote:Hold on, hasn't a European leader tried to do this before? Restricting access to books? Banning certain material. If I only I could remember his name, oh yes, that was it, Adolf Hitler.
Talking of books being banned...

* The Truth of the Lie

* 60 Reasons

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 07.11.12 17:05

@uppatoffee wrote:Hold on, hasn't a European leader tried to do this before? Restricting access to books? Banning certain material. If I only I could remember his name, oh yes, that was it, Adolf Hitler.

I think it's called amzon and the like nowadays imo. Only buy the books we want to sell you - soon only available on your Kindle. Let's shut down the libraries, save governments a lot of money and make the rich a lot of money buying shares into our successful companies where we can determine what everyone can read according to us - and we'll be saving the planet by not cutting down all those trees to make books. We can then dictate what will be read as and when it suits a particular country's rich dictators. It's already near a front door like yours.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.11.12 16:00

@PeterMac wrote:Wait till they start on Hergé, and Tintin's attitudes to native peoples. And then they will ban the film "The Dambusters", which amazingly has not been censored yet.

The Dambusters? Why?

Why not ban Lawrence of Arabia, come to that?

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 08.11.12 16:06

@Portia wrote:
The Dambusters? Why?
Guy Gibson's dog.
He was a black labrador and was called - - - - - - .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.11.12 17:45

I had to look that one up - it probably seemed okay at the time!

Same for Enid Blyton's naughty golliwogs and people having a gay time in the woods........

Back to top Go down

Post by bristow on 08.11.12 23:36

Jean wrote:
Same for Enid Blyton's naughty golliwogs and people having a gay time in the woods........

In the last two years I have lost both my parents and very recently while clearing out a locked bureau at their house I found an early copy of The Three Golliwogs, it was given to my mum by her parents in 1951, inside the cover it says 'Love from Mummy and Daddy Christmas 1951' and I can remember reading it as a child and then it disappeared.
I read it again last week and it seems shockingly un PC and I have hidden it away in a cupboard too!

(Although looking online it seems some books of this title are worth a small fortune now.)

eta, just got it out of the cupboard and the first few lines are unreal:

"There were once three golliwogs who were most unhappy in the nursery cupboard. None of the other toys liked them and nobody ever played with them, because their little mistress, Angela, didn't like their black faces."

Their names in my mums old book are the most offensive Golly, W*ggie and N*gger. Much later on they were changed to Wiggie Waggie and Wollie.

bristow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum