The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

Regards,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Purporting the children weren't left alone

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Purporting the children weren't left alone

Post by PeterMac on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Partly it is for use in calling to a child to come in for luncheon.
Try calling "James", and then "Jay -- Mie"
"Pee - ter", works, but single syllable names have to be lengthened to allow a proper call with a falling musical third - like a police siren "dee-daa".
With names of more than two syllables, Mad- e- leine, they too have to be brought under control and are therefore shortened to "Madd- ie".

Dog's names in contrast are often single syllables, so that the sound becomes an explosive command, "Bob !!, Ben !!" and so on.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkruffyKat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 pm

@PeterMac wrote:
@SkruffyKat wrote:
The 'Madeleine' to me is more of the 'we are established, professional and upper class' image that needed to be maintained to be believable.
All IMO of course.
Except that from Gerry's mouth it comes out as
Maaaa d'l'n.

If you are going to do the "established, professional, and upper middle class" thing, you need to use RP.

I still think 'Madeline' sounds better for a doctors daughter and the image they were hoping to portray... It's funny, but whenever I am introduced to someone by a member of my family they will say 'this is our Katherine' and I will tell them to stop being so snobby and reintroduce myself as Katie, which is what I prefer to be called, and the name I am normally known as :)

SkruffyKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkruffyKat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 pm

I have to disagree there petermac... Not sure about other regions, but in Liverpool we can use the shortened name, even if only one syllable, such as Al, for example and change the pitch in voice on the A dragging it out so it sounds longer. Hard to explain, sorry. With Pete it would be pee-ete, lower then higher.

SkruffyKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saltnpepper on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Im across the small river(or is it two lol) from you skruffykat & we shorten a name or nickname for nearly everyone,i only get my full first name title from family,to friends i have a nickname & a shortened name...anyway,what other reasons could the McCanns have for lying about the name Maddie?

saltnpepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkruffyKat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I think the two most important are that Maddie sounds like Daddy, and that Madeline, suits their purpose more. I believe she was Maddie as the twins were only young and its an awful amount of letters for babies to get their tongues round and actually say Madeleine. If the twins were calling her Madeleine it probably would have been 'da-lin' or 'ma-lin', but that's only from my own experiences with children so young and long names :)

SkruffyKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkruffyKat on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Interesting that the leaders of the country at the time had children with names that could not be shortened... A way of fitting in better?

SkruffyKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by saltnpepper on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 am

@SkruffyKat wrote:Interesting that the leaders of the country at the time had children with names that could not be shortened... A way of fitting in better?

Hmm,never thought of that...Maddie the name has a more marketable look about it & we know Gerry is into marketing ploys,a shortened name like us commoners or not,her name was officially Madeleine...so i go for the daddy daddy disguise

saltnpepper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:57 am

Psychologically speaking, using the full name of a child whose name is usually shortened, creates distance between the one using the name and the child.

E.g. if Mike has stolen the last chocolate bar, his mother will call him 'Michael!'.

Imo the name 'Madeleine' was used,
a) because it is an unusual and beautiful name (linking to the photographs of a 'beautiful' girl)
b) psychologically speaking the use of that name makes her no longer your daughter Maddie but the beautiful child Madeleine
c) yes, it's definitely a name for stating that you're not only middle class, but jolly nearly upper middle class - although Gerry's family has fairly middle class names - Patricia, Philomena, 'Jack' (John) Gerald (that was written down on the early time line and I find that quite interesting).

An added benefit was that not only was the world looking for a 'very articulate' little girl, but one who could spell her name according to Kate and who got cross if she wasn't called Madeleine.
Quite apart from the coloboma, that pretty well ensured she couldn't be found as she didn't exist in that form.

The name Madeleine was spelled wrong on the first website they created. Which was allegedly done by one of the family, bit of a poser if you can neither pronounce nor spell your daughter's name correctly... it's misspelled in Gerry's blog as well once - not corrected.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SkruffyKat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:36 am

I love reading your posts tigger, there's always something I didn't know in them. Fancy not being able to spell your own child's name correctly! I have started reading Gerry's blogs, but I'm finding them tough work. They are something I have to keep returning to, after reading something a bit more interesting... I like that he's put 'Gerald' as his name on the original timeline though. I have my complete name on legal documentation, and have returned paperwork that states my name as 'Katie' but any other time, it doesn't bother me. Legal paperwork requires your legal name IMO

SkruffyKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum