The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for a sword

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for a sword

Post by Guest on 17.10.12 13:47

Look at this for a blunder, how can you mistake a man's blind stick for a sword??????

17 October 2012 Last updated at 13:26

Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for sword

A police force has apologised after an officer used a Taser on a blind man whose white stick was mistaken for a sword.

Colin Farmer, 61, was stunned by police following reports of a man walking through Chorley with a samurai sword.

Ch Supt Stuart Williams, of Lancashire Police, said the force had "deep regrets" and had "clearly put this man through a traumatic experience".

Mr Farmer was taken to hospital for treatment and later discharged.

"It felt like I was grabbing an electricity pylon," said Mr Farmer, who was walking to meet friends in the pub on Friday when the incident happened.

The case has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

A Lancashire Police spokesman said the incident was being investigated and the officer's Taser had been withdrawn.

'Extremely sorry'

Mr Williams said police had "received a number of reports that a man was walking through Chorley armed with a samurai sword".

"A description of the offender was circulated to officers and patrols were sent to look for the man," he said.

"One of the officers who arrived in Chorley believed he had located the offender.

"Despite asking the man to stop, he failed to do so and the officer discharged his Taser."

Mr Williams said it "became apparent that this man was not the person we were looking for and officers attended to him straight away", taking him to Chorley Hospital.

He added that the force "deeply regrets what has happened".

"We have clearly put this man through a traumatic experience and we are extremely sorry for that," he said.

"We have launched an urgent investigation to understand what lessons can be learned."

A man carrying a samurai sword was later arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19979184

Back to top Go down

Re: Police use Taser on blind man after stick mistaken for a sword

Post by aquila on 17.10.12 21:18

That's another reason why we should never have the average police officer carrying a firearm.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 18.10.12 0:56

Tazered while moving away (in the back?) - I wonder if this elderly, near blind man got a verbal warning as he moved away? Doubt he was rushing.
I wonder if we will see the officers 'full' report !

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 18.10.12 7:30

@listener wrote:Tazered while moving away (in the back?) - I wonder if this elderly, near blind man got a verbal warning as he moved away? Doubt he was rushing.
I wonder if we will see the officers 'full' report !
One report says he was shouted at - probably to stand still and lay down his 'weapon', but for obvious reasons didn't.

Mr Farmer’s ordeal began at 5.45pm last Friday when he was walking down an alleyway to meet friends at a pub in Chorley, Lancashire. Officers had received reports of a man roaming around a town centre armed with a large sword. Minutes later, they swooped on Mr Farmer, wrongly assuming he was the swordsman.
The unnamed officer claimed he shouted for Mr Farmer to stop but when he carried on walking, opened fire only to realise his mistake.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218945/Terror-blind-man-tasered-police-I-thought-theyd-kill-says-stroke-victim-aged-61-white-stick-mistaken-samurai-sword.html

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum