Kidnapped Boy's Father 'Returns To Britain'
5:26pm UK, Wednesday March 10, 2010
Alison Chung, Sky News Online
The father of kidnapped British boy Sahil Saeed has returned to Britain from Pakistan, diplomatic sources have said.
Five-year-old Sahil was grabbed by a gang armed with guns and grenades from his grandmother's house in the Punjab region last week.
The attackers struck as Sahil and his father were preparing to fly home and apparently subjected the family to a six-hour ordeal.
Sahil's father Raja Naqqash Saeed had stayed in Pakistan amid efforts to rescue the Oldham schoolboy.
Police appear to be no closer to finding Sahil, but reports suggest that investigators in Pakistan had wanted Mr Saeed to stay in the country as a witness.
A Foreign Office spokesman said "consular assistance" was still being provided to the family.
Sahil's mother made appeal
Pakistan's prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani called Sahil's father at the weekend to assure him the family had the full support of his government.
Sky's Asia correspondent Alex Crawford said: "The prime minister assured him that the government was doing all it could to recover the child.
"He has also directed the inspector general of Punjab police to take all possible steps to find him."
The kidnappers were said to be asking for £100,000 for Sahil's release, a sum his mother said there was "no way" her family could afford.
Akila Naqqash also made a direct appeal to the abductors from the family home in Greater Manchester to end their ordeal and let her son go.
She told the kidnappers: "I just want my son back. All is forgiven, I will forgive you.
"You may have children yourself. I forgive you."
Last week, it was suggested a relative of the boy, who was on holiday with his father, could be behind the plot.
The Pakistani High Commissioner in the UK, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, was quoted as saying: "The initial investigation is also looking at the possibility of a sort of inside job as well.
"There's a possibility of someone in the family having some sort of knowledge."
@Autumn wrote:Not only has the father returned to Britain but he appears to have gone into hiding - the rest of the family claim not to know where he is
All very odd. I have just read on another forum that he and his wife had a big row and were divorcing, and he took the son, and his wife's passport and fled to Pakistan. Now he's back, and his son is allegedelly kidnapped over there hmmmmm..
Whatever the situation is between his parents, it is good news that this this little one is no longer being used as a bargaining tool ........ hopefully.
@justagrannynow 1 wrote:Latest news is that the little boy has not been found. Apparently it was another missing boy.
And the father has not returned to the UK either. He is still in Pakistan
Yes, I just heard JAGN - it's a funny to do, noone seems to know what's going on do they?
'Mistaken Identity' In Kidnapped Boy Case
Steve Davies, Sky News Online
A Pakistani government minister says he "made a mistake" in telling Sky News the British boy kidnapped in Pakistan had been found.
The country's Law Minister, Rana Sanaullah, has apologised after wrongly revealing that authorities had recovered Sahil Saeed.
Earlier, senior Police police figures told Sky's Alex Crawford that a number of arrests had been made over the five-year-old's disappearance, including one woman.
However the Pakistani High Commissioner to Britain now says the missing child discovered in Sialkot is another boy, from Rawalpindi.
Wajid Shamsal Hasan told Sky News: "It is a case of mistaken identity which has been spread by the media.
"Sahil Saeed has not been found, but there are definite leads and police will find him soon."
Authorites believe that members of the boy's family are involved in his kidnap.
Mother of the missing boy
A claim backed up by the High Comissioner: "It seems an internal tiff between family members has caused this crisis.
"The family is quite a large one, and they must be shifting the boy from one place to another.
"Police are working 24 hours a day and they are confident of recovering the boy."
This latest development merely adds to the confusion surrounding the disappearance of the boy from Oldham.
Yesterday, it was reported that Raja Saeed, the boy's father, had returned to the UK.
However Alex Crawford says that he wasn't on any passenger lists for flights out of the country.
"Sources have told us that Raja Saeed was receiving threats from people connected to the kidnapping before the boy even went missing.
"It's been suggested that when he disappeared a couple of days ago he'd been taken into protective custody.
This just gets more weird ny the minute!!