The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Policing in UK - what are your expectations

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Policing in UK - what are your expectations

Post by aquila on 19.09.12 9:11

When something happens to you - it might be your car has been stolen, there's a fight in the street, your purse has been nicked, you don't know where to go....the questions are endless you expect the police to have the answer (possibly immediately). Then (imagine) you find yourself in a serious situation and you call for (or the police turn up) you STILL expect them to have the answer (possibly immediately).

You expect the police officers to be polite and respectful and to know the answers.

You expect them to deal with your situation in a nice sympathetic, professional way.

You expect the uniform to know what to do in every situation. You get a human being in a uniform and make your judgment on that human being's lack of fulfilling your expectation. That officer may be abrupt. That officer might be just doing their job. That officer may have just come from a really bad situation where a child has been killed in a road crash. Never mind, you want your expectations to be fulfilled. You want an answer to your problem (possibly immediately).

Someone sets fire to your house/murders one of your loved ones. You want an answer to your problem (definitely immediately).

This is only some of the expectations of a police officer. Never mind that they see the most devastating things, deal with the absolute dross of life, work shifts (and they are gruelling shifts) and then try to have a normal family life.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Policing in UK - what are your expectations

Post by PeterMac on 19.09.12 9:41

You require medical attention. You go to the A&E department, and wait.
You have toothache and require urgent dental assistance. You make an appointment, and wait.
Your house is broken into and the burglar has long since departed. You call the police and are not prepared to wait.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.09.12 9:48

@PeterMac wrote:You require medical attention. You go to the A&E department, and wait.
You have toothache and require urgent dental assistance. You make an appointment, and wait.
Your house is broken into and the burglar has long since departed. You call the police and are not prepared to wait.

You call 999 to an accident. Ambulance and Fire Service turn up immediately and no-one notices that the police turned out first to do their (the police)job.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 19.09.12 13:50

@PeterMac wrote:You require medical attention. You go to the A&E department, and wait.

I was! The alarm system in the house of friends I was looking after had a direct connection with the police station. They phoned and I gave them the code since the alarm had gone off accidentally. They pointed out that I could be an awfully polite burglar - so they'd still have to check. A good half hour later they came on foot, had a cup of tea and a biscuit and departed. Lovely!
The house had been burgled several times incidentally.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 14:42

I had some experience too with the burglary alarm of neighbours. They were on holidays and I was the only one with a key to have stayed home, so I was called. I went to the house with the key and waited in the pouring rain for the police. When they arrived I opened the door with the key to let them go inside. They wouldn't, yet insisted that I would go in first - because I could be an accomplish of the burglar ... sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 19.09.12 16:52

Policing - my expectations

I expect that the majority of police officers have entered the job because they care about living in a safe society.
I expect that in a huge organisations there may be a few bad apples, like in any profession ,and in life there ARE some bad apples.
I expect the police to do all that they can in a situation, dependent on the orders and resources they are given.
I expect them to use the best judgement and skills available to them as the situation demands.
I expect them, as a collective profession, to demand more powers in dealing with the human detritus without fear of repercussions.

What should the police expect from us, the general public?

Respect for the job they are doing, which can be harrowing and dangerous, and includes emotionally distressing things such as telling a parent their child has been killed, finding dead bodies that have been rotting for days or weeks, being shot at etc

Respect for the sacrifices made in their family life because of the above.

Understanding that whilst a very few are involved in cover-ups, deliberate bad choices etc, that the very vast majority are not like that, and it's hard being tarred with the brush of continual public scrutiny and criticism.

The police have every right to expect co-operation, so we can all help each other to keep safe, not be called "filth", "pigs" and any other puerile name that criminal scum throw at them.

Police have a right not to be blamed for not turning up on demand, the blame lies with powers higher up for not having adequate numbers on a shift, and also, they might be tied up in a situation which is more serious at the time. Blame the scumbags doing the crimes, not the people trying to sort them out. The police are just as cross as the public that so many offenders are let out of jail to begin their crime sprees all over again. Most police would like paedos etc locked up for life.

It's a tough job, and they have to deal daily with huge waves of negativity aimed at them. Remember, if people didn't act like scum and break the law, there would be no necessity for a police force. The police only exist to counter the lowest members of society.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 19.09.12 17:09

Good list. Thank you.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.09.12 17:40

Smoke and Mirrors what a great post. The majority of young men and women who join the police service do it because they have a wish to keep our streets safe and make a difference. The recruiting process is stringent and occasionally people fall through the net. The morale of the police service is constantly bashed by negative press. Bad stories sell better than good ones so the amount of positive press is disproportionate.

We have 'The Queen's Police'. Their uniform is not respected enough - not just by the public but by the government and that is why there is a debate today on arming police in UK. I for one think that will be a very sad day. If we are to go down the American road we may as well give up. There's no role model there.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 19.09.12 17:56

Police officers do not mind being sworn at by criminals and idiots. That is part of the job.
What gets up their noses are the leftie intellectuals pontificating about how the Police are being used by government for this or that political cause.
It happened during the Miner's strike. Labour MPs were openly backing what was patently illegal and very dangerous conduct and criticising the police officers whose duty was to protect the rights and indeed the lives of those who chose to go to work.
Small wonder that officers tend towards the party of law and order.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 19.09.12 19:58

Aquila and PeterMac, years ago I looked into joining the police force, and on closer inspection of the application process and training realised that whilst I would have enjoyed the investigative work, I didn't have the qualities required for the vast majority of the "on the ground" route to get to the areas I was interested in. Then, shortly afterwards I met a group of trainees in a pub one night, and got chatting about their experiences. They were called to the Charing Cross train disaster whilst in the early stages of their training, and they described a very traumatic experience, one you could tell would stay with them forever. They were rookies, ordinary young guys, who had witnessed a scene none of us would wish to even think about, and far from putting them off their chosen career path, they obviously had the strength of character and courage to continue.

Whatever mistakes the police make that get plastered all over the media, whoever feels it is their God given right to constantly attack the police, I have an unswerving respect and admiration for them. It's a job I couldn't do, nor could most people. Keeping calm and professional in the face of shocking violence, or when questioning a pedophile or a pimp, dealing with rancid drug dealers, animal abusers, drunken louts etc. is a real virtue. I marvel at how, when they have caught red-handed disgusting perverts, they are able not to beat them to a bloody pulp to be honest.

When the police get attacked wholesale, it absolutely makes my blood boil. They are humans, humans make errors. Under close scrutiny, how would the critics lives stand up? I think the British public should be a lot more grateful that there are individuals prepared and able to do this job.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 20:35

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:Policing - my expectations

I expect that the majority of police officers have entered the job because they care about living in a safe society.
I expect that in a huge organisations there may be a few bad apples, like in any profession ,and in life there ARE some bad apples.
I expect the police to do all that they can in a situation, dependent on the orders and resources they are given.
I expect them to use the best judgement and skills available to them as the situation demands.
I expect them, as a collective profession, to demand more powers in dealing with the human detritus without fear of repercussions.

What should the police expect from us, the general public?

Respect for the job they are doing, which can be harrowing and dangerous, and includes emotionally distressing things such as telling a parent their child has been killed, finding dead bodies that have been rotting for days or weeks, being shot at etc

Respect for the sacrifices made in their family life because of the above.

Understanding that whilst a very few are involved in cover-ups, deliberate bad choices etc, that the very vast majority are not like that, and it's hard being tarred with the brush of continual public scrutiny and criticism.

The police have every right to expect co-operation, so we can all help each other to keep safe, not be called "filth", "pigs" and any other puerile name that criminal scum throw at them.

Police have a right not to be blamed for not turning up on demand, the blame lies with powers higher up for not having adequate numbers on a shift, and also, they might be tied up in a situation which is more serious at the time. Blame the scumbags doing the crimes, not the people trying to sort them out. The police are just as cross as the public that so many offenders are let out of jail to begin their crime sprees all over again. Most police would like paedos etc locked up for life.

It's a tough job, and they have to deal daily with huge waves of negativity aimed at them. Remember, if people didn't act like scum and break the law, there would be no necessity for a police force. The police only exist to counter the lowest members of society.

Police are us

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 19.09.12 23:07

The police are just as cross as the public that so many offenders are let out of jail to begin their crime sprees all over again. Most police would like paedos etc locked up for life.
Exactly. There is currently an undercurrent of feeling against the police in Manchester for granting bail to the man who has murdered the two officers.
But once the police have arrested someone they have 24 hours to charge that person, or they have to let him / (or her) go. There are a few special circumstances where that time can be extended, but unless they are going to get more evidence they would not use them.
Who brought in that rule ? The criminal has as long as he wants to prepare his activity - look at Nadir and PollyPeck, and the defence have as long as they want to prepare their defence, but the police have 24 hours " and your time starts - NOW. "

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

please

Post by anne49 on 19.09.12 23:37

Please from now on dismiss anything said by PeterMc hes a fake and I can prove it.

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 23:39

Proof awaited with interest........

I see that on this topic - http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t5509-more-dogs-please#121248- Anne49 announced she was making her last post.

I wonder what changed her mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 23:40

@anne49 wrote:Please from now on dismiss anything said by PeterMc hes a fake and I can prove it.
What?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 23:40

Oh gosh, not a WUM again ...
ETA
we're awaiting your proof, pretty please.

ETA
OK, no proof coming forward.
Life's short. I'm tired - will be turning into the silken sheets now.
Cu2morrow.

Back to top Go down

Who brought in that rule ?

Post by anne49 on 19.09.12 23:52

game over Pter Mac. Who brought in that rule ?

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anne49 on 19.09.12 23:56

[quote="anne49"]game over Pter Mac. Who brought in that rule ?[/quote
Seems to me PeterMac is CRIMINAL

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.09.12 23:59

[quote="anne49"]
@anne49 wrote:game over Pter Mac. Who brought in that rule ?[/quote

anne49, I suggest you send me a pm IMMEDIATELY, with an explantion for your post! Attacking members here will not be tolerated!

Back to top Go down

Post by anne49 on 20.09.12 0:06

[quote="candyfloss"]
@anne49 wrote:

anne49, I suggest you send me a pm IMMEDIATELY, with an explantion for your post! Attacking members here will not be tolerated!
Attacking?

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anne49 on 20.09.12 0:08

[quote="anne49"]
candyfloss wrote:
@anne49 wrote:

Attacking?
queering more like .

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.09.12 0:08

I think the word "attacking" is appropriate when a person has been called a fake and a criminal without any proof.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.09.12 0:09

I am waiting another 5 mins for your pm. Yes attacking, you have made accusations against a member. Any concerns any member has should be taken to pm to admin or mods. Any further post here from you about the subject will be deleted.

Back to top Go down

i shall go else where

Post by anne49 on 20.09.12 0:14

candyfloss wrote:I am waiting another 5 mins for your pm. Yes attacking, you have made accusations against a member. Any concerns any member has should be taken to pm to admin or mods. Any further post here from you about the subject will be deleted.
no wonder the pros are laughing at this site, no freedom of speche.

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anne49 on 20.09.12 0:17

Jean wrote:I think the word "attacking" is appropriate when a person has been called a fake and a criminal without any proof.
you have accused the mccans of being criminals without any proof

anne49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum