The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

AT LAST - someone has realised that "Missing" does not mean abducted or dead.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AT LAST - someone has realised that "Missing" does not mean abducted or dead.

Post by PeterMac on 17.09.12 14:53

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/16/campaign-unlock-secrets-missing-persons
Campaign to unlock secrets of people who go missing
Web project Geographies of Missing People urges explanations for disappearances while bureau reveals lack of research.
When Laura's daughter asked about her grandparents, Laura said they were dead, killed in an accident she preferred not to discuss. "It is a terrible, horrible, lie," Laura admits. "My daughter will inevitably discover the truth and when she does I don't think she'll ever forgive me."

Despite her fears, Laura has repeated the story to her friends, her partner and his family. One lie has led to another and now, she admits, her life is built on deception. "I exist on a cliff edge. I'm very frightened. I have constructed my life on something that will inevitably crumble."

The truth is that Laura's parents are not dead but living 175 miles away; a train journey of two hours.

Since the night 12 years ago when Laura tiptoed down the stairs of her family home and shut the door behind her, she has neither seen nor spoken to her parents. She has no intention of doing so again. She has never told anyone about her past before, and does not give her real name.

Approximately 327,000 missing person reports – 110,000 of them concerning adults – are made to UK police each year. It amounts to almost 900 reports a day.

Despite the numbers, though, the world of the "missing" is shrouded in mystery: there is no research into why adults choose to go missing, how they disappear, where they go, and why they do, or do not, come back.

That, however, is about to change. Monday marks the nationwide launch of the first project, in the UK and internationally, to examine the hidden, secret, landscape of adults who choose to go missing.

Funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, the project, entitled Geographies of Missing People, is a collaboration between experts at Glasgow and Dundee Universities, the Metropolitan police service and Grampian police.

For more than two years researchers have traced and interviewed "missing" people. They are now using a website to ask those with experience of being missing to post their story. "This is a nationwide call for the missing to tell their stories," said Hester Parr, principal investigator in the project. "There is no organisation that represents adults who choose to go missing. They have no way of being in contact with each other and so can find it very difficult to make sense of what has happened. This is a chance for those without a voice to tell their story."

Parr and her colleagues spoke at length to families, police, police-based researchers, forensic scientists, academics and representatives of Missing People, an independent UK charity.

And so on.

So, Kate, even your own adopted Charity now accepts that "Missing" does not mean "Abducted".
By what right, incidentally, does a Charity poke into a person's life on the say-so of another person ?
By what right do abused children who run away get forcibly returned to their abusers ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AT LAST - someone has realised that "Missing" does not mean abducted or dead.

Post by aquila on 17.09.12 16:15

@PeterMac wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/16/campaign-unlock-secrets-missing-persons
Campaign to unlock secrets of people who go missing
Web project Geographies of Missing People urges explanations for disappearances while bureau reveals lack of research.
When Laura's daughter asked about her grandparents, Laura said they were dead, killed in an accident she preferred not to discuss. "It is a terrible, horrible, lie," Laura admits. "My daughter will inevitably discover the truth and when she does I don't think she'll ever forgive me."

Despite her fears, Laura has repeated the story to her friends, her partner and his family. One lie has led to another and now, she admits, her life is built on deception. "I exist on a cliff edge. I'm very frightened. I have constructed my life on something that will inevitably crumble."

The truth is that Laura's parents are not dead but living 175 miles away; a train journey of two hours.

Since the night 12 years ago when Laura tiptoed down the stairs of her family home and shut the door behind her, she has neither seen nor spoken to her parents. She has no intention of doing so again. She has never told anyone about her past before, and does not give her real name.

Approximately 327,000 missing person reports – 110,000 of them concerning adults – are made to UK police each year. It amounts to almost 900 reports a day.

Despite the numbers, though, the world of the "missing" is shrouded in mystery: there is no research into why adults choose to go missing, how they disappear, where they go, and why they do, or do not, come back.

That, however, is about to change. Monday marks the nationwide launch of the first project, in the UK and internationally, to examine the hidden, secret, landscape of adults who choose to go missing.

Funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, the project, entitled Geographies of Missing People, is a collaboration between experts at Glasgow and Dundee Universities, the Metropolitan police service and Grampian police.

For more than two years researchers have traced and interviewed "missing" people. They are now using a website to ask those with experience of being missing to post their story. "This is a nationwide call for the missing to tell their stories," said Hester Parr, principal investigator in the project. "There is no organisation that represents adults who choose to go missing. They have no way of being in contact with each other and so can find it very difficult to make sense of what has happened. This is a chance for those without a voice to tell their story."

Parr and her colleagues spoke at length to families, police, police-based researchers, forensic scientists, academics and representatives of Missing People, an independent UK charity.

And so on.

So, Kate, even your own adopted Charity now accepts that "Missing" does not mean "Abducted".
By what right, incidentally, does a Charity poke into a person's life on the say-so of another person ?
By what right do abused children who run away get forcibly returned to their abusers ?

Wasn't it Missing People who adopted KM and were eager to announce her debut as their ambassador? (official role unknown/remuneration undeclared/precise purpose unexplained). I still can't get my head around their choice of candidate. It was a damp squib launch of KM's role - I haven't seen anything with meat on its bones since.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AT LAST - someone has realised that "Missing" does not mean abducted or dead.

Post by PeterMac on 17.09.12 16:50

Meat ? Bones ? Perhaps the dogs should be sent in.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 17.09.12 19:10

I read the article in The Guardian, and noticed the absence of comments from Missing People's new Ambassador. I also noted that the numbers who go missing are substantially less than Kate McCann claimed.

However, it still doesn't alter the fact that a teenager or adult going missing is a different kettle of fish than a small child going missing (especially one who was supposedly safely tucked up in bed) and it doesn't seem particularly helpful to conflate the two. Despite what the McCanns claim - it's difficult to believe that there is no evidence that Madeleine has come to any harm.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.09.12 22:57

@PeterMac wrote:Meat ? Bones ? Perhaps the dogs should be sent in.
If it weren't such a sad saga, I would rotfl

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum