The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Another even more bizarre use of the word "Abducted"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another even more bizarre use of the word "Abducted"

Post by PeterMac on 03.09.12 12:52

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197477/Deputy-headteacher-admits-abducting-girl-15-taking-meals-parents-consent.html

I know it is strictly legally correct, but to use "abduction" for the act of taking a young woman out for a meal and then taking her home again is really torturing the language.
Will this be recorded as a child abduction, one asks.
A deputy headteacher has admitted abducting a 15-year-old girl and taking her out to local fast food restaurants.
Married Brian Knowles, 57, is accused of taking the teenage girl out for meals without her parents' consent and sending her inappropriate text messages.
He pleaded guilty to child abduction charges at Coventry Crown Court.
The court heard Knowles resigned from his teaching position at Barr's Hill School in Coventry, West Midlands, and plans to move away from the area.
He had been the teacher in charge of child protection at the school at the time of the alleged offences.
But he was charged with 'detaining a child so as to keep them from a person having lawful control' under the Child Abduction Act 1984.
The prosecution alleged he took the teenage girl out for meals at fast food restaurants in Coventry unsupervised and without her parents' knowledge. etc

It is like claiming that 200,00 children go missing each year, without explaining that 199,995 are back within the hour.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another even more bizarre use of the word "Abducted"

Post by Guest on 03.09.12 13:17

I agree - a very strange use of the word abduct which is defined in the Concise Oxford Dictionary as "to take (someone) away illegally by force or deception".

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 03.09.12 14:29

Child Abduction Act 1984
Section 2 Offence of abduction of child by other persons.

(1)Subject to subsection (3) below, a person, other than one mentioned in subsection (2) below.] commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, he takes or detains a child under the age of sixteen—
(a)so as to remove him from the lawful control of any person having lawful control of the child; or
(b)so as to keep him out of the lawful control of any person entitled to lawful control of the child.
The persons are—
(a)where the father and mother of the child in question were married to each other at the time of his birth, the child’s father and mother;
(b)where the father and mother of the child in question were not married to each other at the time of his birth, the child’s mother;

Section 3 Construction of references to taking, sending and detaining.

For the purposes of this Part of this Act—
(a)a person shall be regarded as taking a child if he causes or induces the child to accompany him or any other person or causes the child to be taken;

Very strange use of language. It might have been better to call the offence "Removing from lawful control" rather than 'abduction'.
But it keeps the missing children statisticians in a job and the Charities devoted to tracing the 200,000 per year in business.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 03.09.12 15:51

Well there you are. With this definition of the word I've been abducted several times - once to look at the costume museum in Bath. I wonder, this might have traumatised me..... any money in it?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ross on 03.09.12 15:57

@tigger wrote:Well there you are. With this definition of the word I've been abducted several times - once to look at the costume museum in Bath. I wonder, this might have traumatised me..... any money in it?

Good point tigg. I've lost count of the number of times I've been abducted to go on shopping trips. And the trauma is very real I can assure you!

Buddha

Ross

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 03.09.12 16:09

My mother, in England, has no idea where I am at this precise moment.
Am I "Missing" ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 03.09.12 16:13

@PeterMac wrote:My mother, in England, has no idea where I am at this precise moment.
Am I "Missing" ?

Dont' worry! I'll get on to 'Missing people' straight away - with any luck you'll be found and lost again within days.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 03.09.12 16:52

In that case I am guilty of abducting my children many times especially when they were young.
I took them to shopping, places, and holidays without their consent.
I even abducted their friends and returned them a couple of days later after they slept over.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 03.09.12 17:12

@aiyoyo wrote:In that case I am guilty of abducting my children many times especially when they were young.
I took them to shopping, places, and holidays without their consent.
I even abducted their friends and returned them a couple of days later after they slept over.

I'd be careful with those confessions, what is the statute of limitations on this particular crime?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 03.09.12 20:01

@PeterMac wrote:My mother, in England, has no idea where I am at this precise moment.
Am I "Missing" ?

Don't worry, I've been in touch with my "contacts" in China and have some T-Shirts, Good QualityWristbands and plushy policeman toys - a great marketing ploy and I've trademarked CuddleCop - in production as we speak, publisher is coming round for coffee on Thurday and EasyJet are organising the European tour. Only thing is, I don't as yet have a government spokesperson, any suggestions?

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 03.09.12 22:35

big grin

Having said that, if you can pay enough maybe a notorious spokesman could swap team ...

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum