The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

POLL : Perceptions of wealth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What income defines "rich"?

4% 4% 
[ 1 ]
4% 4% 
[ 1 ]
4% 4% 
[ 1 ]
4% 4% 
[ 1 ]
42% 42% 
[ 10 ]
8% 8% 
[ 2 ]
33% 33% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 24

POLL : Perceptions of wealth

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 19.08.12 18:40

Branching off from our discussions on another thread, which in part is about social conditions and issues surrounding attitudinal and fiscal circumstances, what do we now regard as "wealthy" or "rich" in todays UK climate? Above is a poll with income brackets, please take part. I would like to do some calculations based on the income bracket that gets the most votes, because in todays current financial climate there is an argument I believe is often ignored, and would like to present it based on a figure most in line with the perception of the majority votes. Thank you roses

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POLL : Perceptions of wealth

Post by Guest on 19.08.12 20:10

I've been in the higher part of income for a while. Subsequently in the past years I've been contributing € 1 million+ to the French state in taxes and social security charges, without having one single right to whatever if I'd would seriously fall ill, be incapacitated. All of this money went [as I found out after 5+ years] to families with a monthly income of € 1,500 max. and two kids. They've been sitting on the sofa and I've been working my *ss off ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 19.08.12 20:16

Well certainly the highest figure would be rich imo. But even the first figure is rich as I have a joint monthly pension from private and state of 750euro per month because I didn't pay full stamp.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 19.08.12 21:31

Thank you for your votes and replies so far, please keep them coming.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 19.08.12 22:15

The answer is probably rather like the answer to the question,
What age is "Middle aged" ?

The answer is "Ten years older than you are, yourself."

The "golden age" was always about 30 years ago.

So "Rich", must be about twice as much I am getting
"Very Rich", about 10 times
"Filthy rich" 50 times
"Obscenely wealthy" Euro Millions roll over lottery winners. ( I don't have anything against obscenity in principle, you understand, as long as it is in private !!!)

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.08.12 22:18

You've done it again ... rotfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 19.08.12 22:33

@PeterMac wrote:The answer is probably rather like the answer to the question,
What age is "Middle aged" ?

The answer is "Ten years older than you are, yourself."

The "golden age" was always about 30 years ago.

So "Rich", must be about twice as much I am getting
"Very Rich", about 10 times
"Filthy rich" 50 times
"Obscenely wealthy" Euro Millions roll over lottery winners. ( I don't have anything against obscenity in principle, you understand, as long as it is in private !!!)

Haha...v good.
I know the question is a bit "woolly" but it's a starter. It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. However, there are a number of debates going on in the public arena in general, a lot of them to do with money/personal wealth. I need to add at this point that although not stony broke, I do live on the low end of the spectrum, so 50,000 a year would feel like a lottery win!!

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline on 19.08.12 22:43

Before I could answer the poll I'd need to know if that figure relates to keeping 2 adults and/or children (how many). Is there a mortgage to be paid or have I inherited the family home?
Also do normal tax deductions etc apply to those figures?

pauline

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 20.08.12 2:36

I'm dipping in. I haven't much time recently to be part of the forum. I'm not answering the poll but I love the title 'the perception of wealth' so that's what I want to answer.

You are wealthy if you have enough funds to pay your bills, feed your family, live in a clean home and pay your taxes with honesty. You sleep well when you do those things. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what type of house you live in, what car you drive or what clothes you wear. You are wealthy if you help other people in some small way. You are wealthy if you look at your surrounding environment and appreciate it. You are wealthy if you have a faith. I envy people who have blind faith, they are so much more content with their lives. You are wealthy if you have just one friend. You are even wealthier to be a friend. Who could possibly put a price on that.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 20.08.12 7:07

@pauline wrote:Before I could answer the poll I'd need to know if that figure relates to keeping 2 adults and/or children (how many). Is there a mortgage to be paid or have I inherited the family home?
Also do normal tax deductions etc apply to those figures?

Aha, you are a step ahead!
Assume 2 adult and 1 or 2 children. And household wage before tax etc, it's part of what I want to demonstrate.

There has been a lot of commentary in the press and on the radio surrounding tax issues, public spending and so on. There is a part of the picture that always gets missed in the discussions, and I wanted to see if (based on a figure people can most relate to) the point can be demonstrated reasonably. I gave the matter some thought and if my assumptions are right then the conclusions might be surprising.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 20.08.12 7:11

@aquila wrote:I'm dipping in. I haven't much time recently to be part of the forum. I'm not answering the poll but I love the title 'the perception of wealth' so that's what I want to answer.

You are wealthy if you have enough funds to pay your bills, feed your family, live in a clean home and pay your taxes with honesty. You sleep well when you do those things. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what type of house you live in, what car you drive or what clothes you wear. You are wealthy if you help other people in some small way. You are wealthy if you look at your surrounding environment and appreciate it. You are wealthy if you have a faith. I envy people who have blind faith, they are so much more content with their lives. You are wealthy if you have just one friend. You are even wealthier to be a friend. Who could possibly put a price on that.

100% agree with everything in your post.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 20.08.12 8:50

Ahem...cash rich for assets rich?

If you ask a banker who gets an obscene 2-3 million annual bonus then rich is probably double digit millionaire. To a double digit millionaire rich starts with the letter "B".

You are wealthy if you have a basic roof and enough to live on, and you are content and happy with everything you got, so it's relative.

Of course if you are asking about wealth in money-nonsensical then the highest end of your list.

Rich to me is being able to afford 1.8 million Ferrari or Limborghini.
You see I am an overseas expat and now live in a country where prices of car and prices of property defines you wealth

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pingunootnoot on 20.08.12 8:56

I think money is relative, people have different expenditures so i think its hard to define being 'rich'. We live a very comfortable lifestyle with our income but someone else could have that income and completely struggle.
I would consider someone who can easily put money aside at the end of the month and manage to lead a good life as well off.

pingunootnoot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum