The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

Regards,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Connections?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Connections?

Post by anil39200 on 09.08.12 13:05

Sorry but I was not really sure where to put this so my apologies if it needs to go somwhere else. It struck me as having some relevance and started me thinking again after a week or two in hibernation.

In this weeks Private Eye. Page 6 under the title Green Akers, is a small piece primarily mentioning AC Sue Akers but also mentioning Margaret Hodge who has been discussed on this forum before. The story refers to attitudes towards historical cases concerning children. I am sure the story will also be on the eye website but am sorry I cannot provide a link as I am out and about. It just struck me as strange that the politician seemed to be playing down stories about alleged abuse.

Mods please feel free to put this where it is relevant though something tells me the bin might beckon. Maybe something maybe nothing.

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Green Akers

Post by zora-ann on 10.08.12 9:09

THE Met’s Sue Akers has arrested plenty of journalists. Not just for phone hacking but for paying detectives and prison officers – or, in the case of one newsdesk hack, for following up a call from a reader who claimed to have found an MP’s phone on a train, only to decide there wasn’t a story at all.

While the latter arrest has caused astonishment in newsrooms, the Met’s deputy assistant commissioner has not always been so keen on feeling collars.
Uninterested
Back in the early 1990s, for example, Akers was in charge of child protection in Islington when a child abuse scandal exploded in the borough. When the London Evening Standard showed that paedophiles had taken jobs in local children’s homes and were treating the homes as brothels, Margaret Hodge, then leader of Islington council, condemned the stories and refused to listen to the warnings of her own social workers.

Akers was equally uninterested. One of the Standard’s journalists pleaded with her to meet to consider the strength of the paper’s evidence, but Akers refused. Members of the ring escaped without arrest and three moved to Thailand’s notorious Pattaya child sex resort. Thai police charged one, Nick Rabet, in 2005 with abusing local children as young as six; he killed himself in 2006, just before his trial was due to start.

Partnership in policing
Before the Standard was vindicated, however, the authorities made all kinds of allegations about the shocking morals of the tabloids which have a distinctly contemporary ring. Hodge led the way and accused them of “sensationalist gutter journalism”.

Strangely enough, Akers used to mention her time at Islington on her CV. When she was a commander she provided the following career summary to the British Association of Women Police: "As a Detective Inspector she managed the Child Protection Team at Islington where she experienced the beginnings of real partnership working in policing.” (That would be the “partnership working” with Islington council that was such a disaster for local children.)

Since she was promoted to deputy assistant commissioner in 2009, however, the Islington years have vanished from the record. It is as if nothing happened. Appropriately so, perhaps: from the point of view of the child abusers on her patch, nothing did.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=street_of_shame&issue=1320

zora-ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Connections?

Post by tigger on 10.08.12 9:23

Thanks for that Zora! Possibility of some 'clients' which might have political implications?
Did well for herself then - Ms Akers -despite or because of?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zora-ann on 10.08.12 10:55

@tigger wrote:Thanks for that Zora! Possibility of some 'clients' which might have political implications?
Did well for herself then - Ms Akers -despite or because of?

Yes, what other reason could there to simply not investigate the very serious allegations? I wonder whether these people were shoehorned into those jobs specifically to facilitate this horrendous practice.

Really, what hope is there of the MET solving the McCann saga when something as horrific as this, presumably involving several children, is actively ignored?

zora-ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 11.03.13 8:14

I'm just bumping this up, was looking for another topic and found this hiding away. Anyone who can link this to another topic on child protection?

Incidentally, I found out that organisations such as CEOP do not come under the Freedom of Information Act. Interesting.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum