The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

2012 OLYMPIC GAMES - Discussion on events etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 OLYMPIC GAMES - Discussion on events etc.

Post by Guest on 28.07.12 10:18

So, did anyone watch the opening ceremony? What did you think of it? Did it do our country proud?

I personally think it was ok, good effects etc. but I would have thought it would be hard for other countries not aware of our history and culture to have made head or tail of it. Very different I must say, and very well done, but not what I had expected. Certainly, didn't know why the Arctic Monkeys were there or the Paul McCartney bit at the end.

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES - Discussion on events etc.

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 10:40

I watched the opening ceremony and was for most of it embarrassed. I kept expecting the Teletubbies to pop up. It was well choreographed and all those participating were really enjoying it but I do think that many watching would be scratching their heads wondering what it was all about. The Queen seemed very tight lipped and in one shot appeared to be picking at her nails, boredom?
Once the competitors came though and the lighting of the kettles I thought that was splendid.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.07.12 11:36

An embarrassing spectacle. Though, I must admit that I liked the James Bond, Queen, helicopter, parachute bit :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.07.12 12:10

BBC's dream combination of ceremony and sport... though explanation was irritatingly missing at times

Danny Boyle’s ceremony was exciting, imaginative and modern though large parts could have done with a bit more information

Bizarre sight: The Queen and Daniel Craig
BBC

You wouldn’t say the BBC exactly covered itself in glory with its coverage of the opening ceremony tonight.

Normally you would love to have a mute button for Huw Edwards’ commentary but here large parts of Danny Boyle’s bizarre pageant went irritatingly unexplained.

The industrialists’ tribal dancing for example. Or why Kenneth Branagh appeared as Brunel quoting Shakespeare.

Even the surreal sight of James Bond marching into Buckingham Palace and the REAL QUEEN turning round to greet him was met with… nothing.

When Her Majesty – the greatest scene-stealer in the country - DID arrive in the stadium, there was no explanation why she was introduced first in French.

I can’t have been the only one viewer who contemplated resorting to the old-fashioned method of thumping the TV to try to make the sound work.

Jake Humphreys even chipped in to tell us to turn the sound up – to re-create what the 1000 drummers felt like in the stadium. As opposed to actually hear them.

Frankly, it sounded as Huw and Hazel Irvine were either having major technical difficulties or had been sabotaged. I pictured Huw being bundled into a sack.

Otherwise, the BBC was in element with the Olympics - its dream combination of pomp and ceremony and sport.

For the presenters of the opening night of the biggest athletics event in the world, it went for the obvious choice: a former tennis player (Sue Barker) and an ex-footballer (Gary Lineker).

Add Clare Balding’s report on the history of women’s athletics and the BBC was basically treating the Olympics as a cross between the Grand National, Wimbledon, the Open and, um, Match Of The Day.

This might have lacked imagination or a certain expertise but personally I like Lineker and Barker for their enthusiasm and warmth.

At least they’re not Adrian Chiles.

But the choice of Edwards was a mistake. The ceremony was exciting and imaginative and modern. Edwards made it sound like a state funeral.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/opening-ceremony-london-2012-opinion-1175997

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 28.07.12 14:51

candyfloss wrote:So, did anyone watch the opening ceremony? What did you think of it? Did it do our country proud?

I personally think it was ok, good effects etc. but I would have thought it would be hard for other countries not aware of our history and culture to have made head or tail of it. Very different I must say, and very well done, but not what I had expected. Certainly, didn't know why the Arctic Monkeys were there or the Paul McCartney bit at the end.

We had a power cut in the area where I live for nearly an hour just before the start, so missed about 45 minutes of the ceremony. In the dark I set the kitchen alight, I switched the wrong gas ring on and melted a plastic food strainer which went up in flames. When I went into the kitchen the flames were about 4 feet high, I threw a saucepan of water over it in a panic and have now completely messed up the cooker as the water has gone into all the electric elements inside - duh!

When the power came back on the athletes were parading around the arena, it looked really boring so I went to bed, as I was really cheesed off by then. I turned the electrics off at the main to be on the safe side and forgot about the freezer - double duh!!!

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 14:54

@Newintown wrote:
candyfloss wrote:So, did anyone watch the opening ceremony? What did you think of it? Did it do our country proud?

We had a power cut in the area where I live for nearly an hour just before the start, so missed about 45 minutes of the ceremony. In the dark I set the kitchen alight, I switched the wrong gas ring on and melted a plastic food strainer which went up in flames. When I went into the kitchen the flames were about 4 feet high, I threw a saucepan of water over it in a panic and have now completely messed up the cooker as the water has gone into all the electric elements inside - duh!

When the power came back on the athletes were parading around the arena, it looked really boring so I went to bed, as I was really cheesed off by then. I turned the electrics off at the main to be on the safe side and forgot about the freezer - double duh!!!

Oh hec, hope you have got it sorted. A real chain of events there.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 28.07.12 15:05

@Nina wrote:
@Newintown wrote:

No, I haven't as yet. I'm going out into the garden to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts as I've just spent nearly 3 hours catching up on the forum (been enjoying the hot weather for the past few days so haven't been on the computer for so long, had 37 items to catch up on).

Will deal with the cooker later now I've dealt with my withdrawal systems from not been on the forum for days!

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 15:11

@Newintown wrote:
@Nina wrote:
@Newintown wrote:

No, I haven't as yet. I'm going out into the garden to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts as I've just spent nearly 3 hours catching up on the forum (been enjoying the hot weather for the past few days so haven't been on the computer for so long, had 37 items to catch up on).

Will deal with the cooker later now I've dealt with my withdrawal systems from not been on the forum for days!

Take care then if you are sorting the cooker yourself, unless you are an electrician that is. So it's a salad today yes

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 15:14

We are watching the cycle road race, and what beautiful weather it is and so very green. It's quite exciting I must say, and what stamina, whew wow

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 28.07.12 15:18

@Nina wrote:We are watching the cycle road race, and what beautiful weather it is and so very green. It's quite exciting I must say, and what stamina, whew

It should be green with all the bl**dy rain we've had for the past 3 or 4 weeks, my poor plants don't know what to do with themselves - whether to get out their umbrellas and canoes or now the suntan cream!!

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 28.07.12 15:22

It was quite a spectacle and dare I say it, quite subversive. A thousand petitions and marches could not have put across the message of saving the NHS nearly so well as Danny Boyle. I wonder if the giant Voldermort was supposed to be David Cameron? lol.

I am not sure that the history of the British people translated to those who know nothing about us, but the imagery of the satanic mills and the angelic voice of the choirboy singing Blake's Jerusalem, was moving. I loved the multicultural portrayal of Britain today, and the music that accompanied it, though I doubt the CND sign and the Sex Pistols blasting out Pretty Vacant would have been appreciated by tories.

I liked that unknown youngsters lit the cauldron - the old Olympians passing on the torches to the next generation was inspired. A shame Sir Paul didn't do the same!

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 15:38

@Cristobell wrote: It was quite a spectacle and dare I say it, quite subversive. A thousand petitions and marches could not have put across the message of saving the NHS nearly so well as Danny Boyle. I wonder if the giant Voldermort was supposed to be David Cameron? lol.

I am not sure that the history of the British people translated to those who know nothing about us, but the imagery of the satanic mills and the angelic voice of the choirboy singing Blake's Jerusalem, was moving. I loved the multicultural portrayal of Britain today, and the music that accompanied it, though I doubt the CND sign and the Sex Pistols blasting out Pretty Vacant would have been appreciated by tories.

I liked that unknown youngsters lit the cauldron - the old Olympians passing on the torches to the next generation was inspired. A shame Sir Paul didn't do the same!

I agree Cristobell about some of the music being very moving. Jerusalem always gives me a lump in my throat.
And the young folk lighting the cauldron kettles was brilliant. But the bucolic opening made me squirm.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 28.07.12 16:04

@Nina wrote:
@Cristobell wrote: It was quite a spectacle and dare I say it, quite subversive. A thousand petitions and marches could not have put across the message of saving the NHS nearly so well as Danny Boyle. I wonder if the giant Voldermort was supposed to be David Cameron? lol.

I agree Cristobell about some of the music being very moving. Jerusalem always gives me a lump in my throat.
And the young folk lighting the cauldron kettles was brilliant. But the bucolic opening made me squirm.

Must admit that worried me too at the start - especially compared to the Bejing extravaganza- but I think Danny Boyle was telling a story, farmers to industrialisation to digital.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 28.07.12 16:44

@Cristobell wrote:
@Nina wrote:

Must admit that worried me too at the start - especially compared to the Bejing extravaganza- but I think Danny Boyle was telling a story, farmers to industrialisation to digital.
Yes indeed he was, and very well, I understood it but I am from the UK. I fear there will have been others watching it that didn't get it at all, and just found it to be boring, as the Queen appeared to imo. Jaw set, downturned mouth, not amused.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 28.07.12 17:14

@Nina wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:
@Nina wrote:

Yes indeed he was, and very well, I understood it but I am from the UK. I fear there will have been others watching it that didn't get it at all, and just found it to be boring, as the Queen appeared to imo. Jaw set, downturned mouth, not amused.

Agree, she didn't look happy at all. Mind you it was a long night and she is 86, I think. Still, I think she could have given the UK team a smile and a wave. Michelle Obama stood up and cheered when the US team came out.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.07.12 17:31

Just been watching the tennis all afternoon and was shocked to see so many empty seats on centre court. Considering that both the Wimbledon champions of just 3 weeks ago were playing on centre court today was even more shocking. Yet people queue for days to get a seat on centre court for Wimbledon. Same players, same venue. Then I read this below, the swiming was apparently the same this morning, people applying for seats but not able to get them. Same at other events What the hell is going on.......

28 July 2012 Last updated at 17:07

Empty Olympics swimming seats investigated

[snipped]

Clusters of empty seats have also been observed at Wimbledon's centre court.

Many people have contacted the BBC to express disappointment over the sight of empty seats after failing to get tickets for events.

Diana Hill said: "Now to sit down and watch the first day and see the dressage event half full, huge chunks of seating empty in men's gymnastics and badminton (and I'm sure many more events), is incredibly frustrating.

"Where are all these apparently 'sold out' tickets going to? Sponsors? It's a sad joke."

Tennis fans have complained to the BBC over queues to get into Wimbledon on Saturday morning, saying a ticket office was closed because the key to open it had been lost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19028979

Shambles as usual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 28.07.12 17:47

I wonder what is going on with the tickets? Alistair Campbell was tweeting about it earlier. So many empty seats at various venues. They were of course hugely overpriced, £1000 plus, so out of range for the ordinary people. However, I don't know why they couldn't have been given to all the wonderful volunteers, rather than leave empty spaces.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zozo on 28.07.12 19:57

Impressed, but slightly baffled - just what was that NHS tribute all about? The world's verdict on our Olympic opening ceremony

International commentators bowled over by London 2012 ceremony
Cauldron lighting by unknown young athletes branded an 'anti-climax'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180177/London-2012-Olympics-International-audience-hails-opening-ceremony-extravaganza-success.html#ixzz21wdcSslm

'Leftie multicultural c***': Anger as Conservative MP brands Olympic Opening Ceremony a failure while a staggering 26.9million UK viewers tune in to watch

Aidan Burley in fresh controversy, having already been forced out of ministerial aide job for attending Nazi-themed stag party
Critics brand him 'foolish' and call for David Cameron to make him apologise
Downing Street distances itself by saying: 'We do not agree with him'
London's Tory mayor Boris Johnson calls MP's barbs 'nonsense'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180200/Leftie-multicultural-c---MP-brands-Olympic-Opening-Ceremony-failure-staggering-26-9million-UK-viewers-tune-watch.html#ixzz21wdnQ3J3

Zozo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 28.07.12 21:26

candyfloss wrote:BBC's dream combination of ceremony and sport... though explanation was irritatingly missing at times

Danny Boyle’s ceremony was exciting, imaginative and modern though large parts could have done with a bit more information

Bizarre sight: The Queen and Daniel Craig
BBC

You wouldn’t say the BBC exactly covered itself in glory with its coverage of the opening ceremony tonight.

Normally you would love to have a mute button for Huw Edwards’ commentary but here large parts of Danny Boyle’s bizarre pageant went irritatingly unexplained.

The industrialists’ tribal dancing for example. Or why Kenneth Branagh appeared as Brunel quoting Shakespeare.

Even the surreal sight of James Bond marching into Buckingham Palace and the REAL QUEEN turning round to greet him was met with… nothing.

When Her Majesty – the greatest scene-stealer in the country - DID arrive in the stadium, there was no explanation why she was introduced first in French.

I can’t have been the only one viewer who contemplated resorting to the old-fashioned method of thumping the TV to try to make the sound work.

Jake Humphreys even chipped in to tell us to turn the sound up – to re-create what the 1000 drummers felt like in the stadium. As opposed to actually hear them.

Frankly, it sounded as Huw and Hazel Irvine were either having major technical difficulties or had been sabotaged. I pictured Huw being bundled into a sack.

Otherwise, the BBC was in element with the Olympics - its dream combination of pomp and ceremony and sport.

For the presenters of the opening night of the biggest athletics event in the world, it went for the obvious choice: a former tennis player (Sue Barker) and an ex-footballer (Gary Lineker).

Add Clare Balding’s report on the history of women’s athletics and the BBC was basically treating the Olympics as a cross between the Grand National, Wimbledon, the Open and, um, Match Of The Day.

This might have lacked imagination or a certain expertise but personally I like Lineker and Barker for their enthusiasm and warmth.

At least they’re not Adrian Chiles.

But the choice of Edwards was a mistake. The ceremony was exciting and imaginative and modern. Edwards made it sound like a state funeral.

[url=http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/opening-ceremony-london-2012-opinion-1175997
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/opening-ceremony-london-2012-opinion-1175997[/quote[/url]]

We've found candyfloss's weak point, her love of sport and the presentation of it.

I enjoyed the transition from fields to cobbles, the depiction that is, not the reality. That will be me soon.

Then it was downhill all the way to Macca. He and I were in a nearly deserted airport terminal recently, and what a loud mouth he is, anything to bring attention to himself. Even shop assistants were shaking their heads and turning their backs on him, so I assume it's a regular occurence.

The depiction of the NHS was all wrong. The NHS is famed for its rapid emergency care, so why not then have ambulances in the arena and stats to show it?

GOSH is not typical. It's not funded like your local or University Hospital and shouldn't have been held up as an example of such. It's of course a centre of excellence for poor babes, but is not typical of the NHS.

I was impressed with the first 30 minutes but after that a resounding thumbs down.

So from the Industrial Revolution, bypassing

the telephone, radio and television, straight to mobile phones. Missing out on the Empire and Commonwealth on the way, although many Countries say we were the making of them.

Where was the Indian and Chinese restaurant? Surely one of the greatest cultural and very welcome change of our time.

Then two black teenagers depict the Nation? Not for me.

One white and one black yes, but we are a white, so far UK. So why represented by two black teenagers? I'm glad she got her phone back and I see she's a great find . Good for her.

I felt a small swell of pride at James Bond, thinking of all the nations watching. Why though, didn't he follow through with escorting her Maj to her seat?

Just one more. Where were all the animals as reported to appear in the pastoral scene? I saw two heavy horses and that was all.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.07.12 21:33

Sport.......moi?? You're joking. Only tennis for me

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 28.07.12 21:45

candyfloss wrote:Sport.......moi?? You're joking. Only tennis for me

Being Irish its the GAA for me , fast furious football, mud , rain , cheers and passion ............... the Limpics are great too !!!

tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum