The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Lottery Millionaire Jailed For Benefit Fraud

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on 24.07.12 14:26

Would you believe it. This man banks £5 million and then still claims income support and housing benefit................

Convicted rapist Edward Putman raised suspicions when he asked the authorities if he could buy his council house.

2:01pm UK, Tuesday 24 July 2012

By Rachel Younger, Sky News Correspondent

A convicted rapist who won millions on the lottery has been sentenced to nine months in prison for fraudently claiming around £13,000 in benefits.

Despite banking £5 million in September 2009, Edward Putman kept applying for his housing benefit and income support.

The 47-year-old, from Kings Langley in Hertfordshire, even sent letters to the Department for Work and Pensions and his local council claiming he was so broke he could not afford to eat.

But, in reality, Putman was enjoying his millions, buying a new house and two sports cars

He pleaded guilty to two counts of benefit fraud.

The judge, Mr Justice Bright QC, told Putman: "You were motivated by greed on a scale which frankly defies belief, especially in an economic climate where the welfare budget is being cut and those who are entitled to benefit are struggling to make ends meet."

The court heard that Putman began receiving income support in 2000 claiming he was incapacitated by anxiety issues but he failed to tell the authorities that his conditions had changed. When he failed to turn up to a medical check his benefits were stopped.

In July 2010, just 10 months after his lottery win, Putman wrote to the DWP and Dacorum Borough Council begging them to reinstate his benefits.

He claimed he had not attended the medical examination because he was too ill.

"I didn't know whether I would still be alive," he wrote. " I'm on the brink of being evicted."

He claimed he was being forced to survive on handouts from family and friends.

The court heard that his benefits were then reinstated and were also back-dated to January 2010.

But he raised suspicions in October 2010 when he asked the authorities if he could buy his council house, telling them he had the £84,000 needed to buy it in cash.

St Albans Crown Court heard he claimed a total of £4,809.18 from Dacorum Borough Council between September 2009 and October 2010, and £38,033.59 from the DWP between September 2009 and May last year.

Putman has now paid back the money. In a statement released by his lawyers after the verdict he said: "I can only apologise for the offences I've committed."

http://news.sky.com/story/964359/lottery-millionaire-jailed-for-benefit-fraud

Back to top Go down

Re: Lottery Millionaire Jailed For Benefit Fraud

Post by Nina on 24.07.12 14:29

Ah bless. he said sorry so that's all right then aaagh

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Badboys on 24.07.12 14:52

I would like to win the lottery,i would be most delighted to be off the benefit system,i am classified as most severely disabled,probably because it is permanent.

the person has no excuse when there are people like myself who would be delighted to win the lottery,benefit system no see

Badboys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 24.07.12 15:14

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Let's face it, if rape comes naturally to him then what's wrong with thieving off the state eh?

I heard recently of a rape victim whose assailant was a serial rapist and he won several million on the lottery. On hearig this, finding it as morally repugnant as the very rape itself she successfully sued the odious individual for an undisclosed amount which she donated to charity.

Can't imagine there are too many convicted rapists winnning millions on the lottery. Must be the same person. A serial rapist, kind of makes a mockery of "karma" doesn't it. And if there is more than one of them, then doubly so.

monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 24.07.12 16:15

I think this is the person you're talking about, Monkey Mind; not the same as the benefit cheat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/aug/11/ukcrime.lottery

This latest case makes the fraud committed by that Rogue Traders presenter fade into insignificance.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 24.07.12 16:35

@Nina wrote:Ah bless. he said sorry so that's all right then

Exactly and I wonder how much does it cost to keep this person in prison for nine months ! , If I had the power I would have his "bill" + vat ready on his departure , as he can well afford it , however I do have these weird dream like ideas from time to time !!!.

tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 24.07.12 22:31

Jean wrote:I think this is the person you're talking about, Monkey Mind; not the same as the benefit cheat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/aug/11/ukcrime.lottery

This latest case makes the fraud committed by that Rogue Traders presenter fade into insignificance.
Jean, ah thank you for that, that must be the one though I can't be certain because it came to me second hand. Surely there couldn't be a third.

Just at two 'karma' is looking pretty shabby to me ...

Did I write "just at two"? Just two rapists winning multi millions on the lotto.

I'm losing it. Time for bed....

monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 24.07.12 22:54

Then there's the rapist in Alaska who won a lottery benefitting an anti-rape charity.......

http://www.inquisitr.com/15172/irony-convicted-rapist-wins-lottery-benefitting-anti-rape-charity/

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 24.07.12 23:01

Probably uneducated, certainly in Arithmetic - to the point he did not know just how much wealth he had. Or a complete fool

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum