The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

CHILD ABUSE - MY RADIO INTERVIEW

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CHILD ABUSE - MY RADIO INTERVIEW

Post by Newintown on 29.07.12 13:53

@Cristobell wrote:My book Cry and You Cry Alone has recently been released in paperback. It tells of the abuse I suffered in the care of the Sisters of Mercy in the late 1960's/early 1970's and my case against the Catholic Church. Herewith a link to a radio interview I did last week. The issue of child abuse is a subject I feel passionately about, and I hope some of you will take a few moments to listen. Many thanks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/p00tslpr

Cristobell

I never found the original post I posted some time ago which disappeared into cyberspace regarding my aunt, who is now 86, being brought up in the St Anthony's Children's home in Feltham, Middlesex in the 1930s/40s and was badly treated by the Sisters of Mercy. I only found out about what she endured in the children' home a few months ago when I was doing some family history research and asked her some questions about her and my late Mother's family background and she told me what had happened to her and her 2 sisters there. My mother, being the eldest, was brought up by their grandmother (who I never knew).

I did a search on the Children's home and found an article by a Lynne Wallis who was brought up in the same place and again was terribly abused by the Sisters, many of the children were sent away to Australia, and endured both physical and sexual abuse. I thought you may be interested in reading it -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/british-orphans-it-broke-our-hearts-to-see-them-go-away-1914210.html

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29.07.12 14:08

@Newintown wrote:I never found the original post I posted some time ago which disappeared into cyberspace

Sometimes posts can end up in your profile - have a look under 'drafts' to see if it's there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 29.07.12 14:23

@admin wrote:
@Newintown wrote:I never found the original post I posted some time ago which disappeared into cyberspace

Sometimes posts can end up in your profile - have a look under 'drafts' to see if it's there.

Thanks, I checked, the little devil was hiding there all along, silly me!

Rolling Eyes

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 29.07.12 14:55

@Cristobell wrote:Hi Tony, many thanks for highlighting my book. I am glad too that you named Peter Rands... He was a former Jesuit monk, who followed the extreme practices of Opus Dei. His mantra was 'mortification of the body is good for the soul'. He believed we should suffer pain in order to become closer to God. It was not enough for him that we should suffer pain, we should enjoy it too.

Known today as 'sado-masochism, I believe, which reminds me that Max Mosley was someone who Leveson fell over himself to listen to, as if Mosley should be one of those telling us what the press in this country should and shouldn't do

I have since found out that abuse was going on in almost every other 'House' within the convent, both sexual, physical and mental. In fact, a dear friend of mine from the Convent, Rita Iagoe who now lives in Australia, was contacted by detectives from Dartford, Kent. They actually flew out to Australia to interview Rita and her brother, and as a result two former Uncles from St. Anne's received prison sentences.

It's good to hear they didn't get away with their crimes

St. Anne's Convent was in Orpington, Kent, and run by the Catholic Diocese of Southwark. The nuns in charge were from the Irish order of Sisters of Mercy - that is, exactly the same order of nuns who the Catholic Church acknowledges were guilty of abuse in childrens' homes in Ireland. In Ireland, both the Catholic Church and the Irish Government have accepted liability for the abuse that went on in the Irish Care homes, yet contest each and every claim in the UK, despite there being no difference in the way the homes were run. I just cannot see the reason for this glaring anomaly...The suffering of the English victims still goes on.

So the Catholic Church is discriminating in favour of the Irish and against English victims? They've never liked England since Henry VIII cut off a big slice of their revenue. Follow the money!

...there are many others out there...many were literally turfed out of the door at the age of 16, institutionalised and unable to form relationships or achieve any form of stability in their lives. Sadly many go from prison to prison. It's what they are used to. I got the opportunity to tell my story, many don't...

Abuse of children is one of ther hardest things to understand...yet we have decades of abuse of tens of thousands of children by Catholic priests and nuns, we had Thomas Hamilton's abuse network in Scotland, North Wales Childrens Homes, Kincora Boys Home, Islington Childrens Homes, Staffordshire Pin-Down, Mark Dutroux, Fred & Rosemary West, Casa Pia...we have thousands of folk paying good money to watch Level 5 sexual abuse of children on the internet...

Abuse of powerless children by powerful adults is a deep, deep evil and we must do all we can to prevent it. Which makes the present government's unwillingness to tackle Google and other internet companies about the ease with which folk can access these wicked sites all the more reprehensible:

http://www.safermedia.org.uk/welcome.htm

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 29.07.12 16:04

I think I have just lost a rather long reply to Newintown. Apologies, and hope it re-appears.

I read that wonderful article about the children in the 49s/50. Not so long ago, in the sense that those responsible must have understood the cruelty of their acts. Freud had been around and advanced several decades by that time. Such a moving piece and much to think about, I will store it in my favourites and have another read.

Your aunt's memories are so similar to my own Newintown. I could empathise with the feelings of attachment to other 'inmates' and was horrified at the cruel tactics used by governments playing chess with peoples' lives. It seems so barbaric now - awful for those kids to have their pals disappear overnight. To this day I consider my old friends as siblings. We laughed, cried and fought, as all kids do, but we never, ever, split on each other!

My heart went out to the bedwetters - I think the each individual Sister of Mercy had developed their own psychopathic way of dealing with this offence against God. As one of the two older girls in my own House, I got to share the punishment by having to handwash the sheets in the bath. Despite the extra work, my pal and I, still found the time and compassion to
give the poor traumatized little mites a cuddle as soon as the nun was out of sight and calling them all the little feckers under the sun until we got them to giggle.

I will put the link to the article on my blog, with your permission, your aunt's experiences have raised some very interesting points.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29.07.12 16:58

I read the book "The God Squad" a few years ago, written by Paddy Doyle about his experiences growing up in Irish orphanages in the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.paddydoyle.com/

It's hard to realise that such things happened comparatively recently and some of the perpetrators may still be alive today.

Back to top Go down

Naive? Or collusive?

Post by Tony Bennett on 29.07.12 17:01

@Cristobell wrote:..My heart went out to the bedwetters - I think the each individual Sister of Mercy had .developed their own psychopathic way of dealing with this offence against God...
I think 'psychopathic' is the right word, having read Cristobell's book. Had these abusing nuns and paedophile housefathers at St. Anne's been investigated at the time, arrested, charged and convicted, the judge would surely have called for psychiatric reports on them.

Judging by the observations of Cristobell, which I have no reason whatsoever to dispute, some of those individuals who meted out the cruel mental and physical tortures on those poor children at St. Anne's were so twisted, hung-up, brutal and psychologically damaged themselves, that the expert psychiatrists would surely have told the judge: "These people are insane. Lock them up in Rampton".

Yet the Roman Catholic Church allowed these monsters to psychologcially damage and abuse children, aided and abetted by the social workers who put them there - who were either inexcusably naive...or collusive...

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 29.07.12 17:39

@Tony Bennett wrote:I have read Cristabell's book ['Cry and you Cry Alone'].

It's a very honest 'what-you-see-is-what-you-get' autobiography, well worth a read for her account of an incident-packed childhood, laced with a great deal of humour which can't help making one laugh, even though the book contains some very dark passages about the cruel, sadistic, physical and mental cruelty meted out by staff of the laughingly-named 'Sisters of Mercy'.

How people can pass themselves off as servants of God, dress up in religious garb, and yet perpetrate gross inhumanities on their fellow men and women is one of life's mysteries. Mercifully, the abuse suffered by Cristabell did not include sexual abuse, but the physical and mental abuse on her and others at St. Anne's Convent. Orpington (let's name names) was sustained and often brutal.

One issue brought up again by this book us the systematic cover-up of offences against children by the Roman Catholic Church. Priests are not allowed, on pain of being defrocked, to 'leak' the 'secrets' of the confessional and, as Cristabell explains in her book, one of the notorious abusers at St. Anne's, the late Peter Rands (more naming and shaming), was dismissed from St. Anne's, only to pop up again at a Catholic school for boys, where he repeated his abuse. And was dismissed again.

It is a criminal offence for those in a position of trust not to report child abuse, never mind the crimes of those who perpetrated the abuse in the first place. Yet no-one has been prosecuted.

Very few of the tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of abused children ever tell their stories; it is just too painful and, as Cristabell says in her book, people want to move on, and forget about the bad things done to them.

So it's good that Cristabell has exposed these fist-wielding, kicking-and-punching nuns for the cruel women they really were...and, hand on heart, I can also say that it's a very good read

The sad fact is that most of the children put into Children' Homes were being neglected or were already being abused in their family homes. My aunt and her sisters were been neglected by their own mother (my grandmother) and were put in the home, so they thought, to a better life but unfortunately it turned out that they suffered more than if they'd been left in the family home.

God knows what the authorities were thinking of not checking on them, it beggers belief.

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 29.07.12 18:10

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:Hi Tony, many thanks for highlighting my book. I am glad too that you named Peter Rands... He was a former Jesuit monk, who followed the extreme practices of Opus Dei. His mantra was 'mortification of the body is good for the soul'. He believed we should suffer pain in order to become closer to God. It was not enough for him that we should suffer pain, we should enjoy it too.

Known today as 'sado-masochism, I believe, which reminds me that Max Mosley was someone who Leveson fell over himself to listen to, as if Mosley should be one of those telling us what the press in this country should and shouldn't do

I have since found out that abuse was going on in almost every other 'House' within the convent, both sexual, physical and mental. In fact, a dear friend of mine from the Convent, Rita Iagoe who now lives in Australia, was contacted by detectives from Dartford, Kent. They actually flew out to Australia to interview Rita and her brother, and as a result two former Uncles from St. Anne's received prison sentences.

It's good to hear they didn't get away with their crimes

St. Anne's Convent was in Orpington, Kent, and run by the Catholic Diocese of Southwark. The nuns in charge were from the Irish order of Sisters of Mercy - that is, exactly the same order of nuns who the Catholic Church acknowledges were guilty of abuse in childrens' homes in Ireland. In Ireland, both the Catholic Church and the Irish Government have accepted liability for the abuse that went on in the Irish Care homes, yet contest each and every claim in the UK, despite there being no difference in the way the homes were run. I just cannot see the reason for this glaring anomaly...The suffering of the English victims still goes on.

So the Catholic Church is discriminating in favour of the Irish and against English victims? They've never liked England since Henry VIII cut off a big slice of their revenue. Follow the money!

...there are many others out there...many were literally turfed out of the door at the age of 16, institutionalised and unable to form relationships or achieve any form of stability in their lives. Sadly many go from prison to prison. It's what they are used to. I got the opportunity to tell my story, many don't...

Abuse of children is one of ther hardest things to understand...yet we have decades of abuse of tens of thousands of children by Catholic priests and nuns, we had Thomas Hamilton's abuse network in Scotland, North Wales Childrens Homes, Kincora Boys Home, Islington Childrens Homes, Staffordshire Pin-Down, Mark Dutroux, Fred & Rosemary West, Casa Pia...we have thousands of folk paying good money to watch Level 5 sexual abuse of children on the internet...

Abuse of powerless children by powerful adults is a deep, deep evil and we must do all we can to prevent it. Which makes the present government's unwillingness to tackle Google and other internet companies about the ease with which folk can access these wicked sites all the more reprehensible:

http://www.safermedia.org.uk/welcome.htm

I think the luncheon voucher lady told us quite a lot about what went on behind closed doors Tony, I would be curious to know what 30 secrecy rulings are still in existence eh?

The case with Rita Iagoe really is the tip of the iceberg. Through some curious hand of fate, a photograph of Peter Rands landed in my lap. I will spare you the details for the moment, I am thinking it may be divine intervention, but unfortunately I was not able to use it due to copyright etc. It is a shame. He was a very charismatic man and well known within the Orpington Community, a Scout leader, a religious guide and mentor and all that. His boys, on the whole, followed him willingly, as if they were hypnotized. They were young, and extremely vulnerable, and he was the predator being handed his prey on a silver plate. I always felt he had the makings of a cult leader.

I was completely unaware of anything sexual at that time. Hard to believe eh? I came from one of those liberal households, where child abuse was/is, said to be rampant. I even managed to get through my convent years without knowing the actual mechanics. I honestly had no idea what was going on. I hope my perspective of what was going on comes across to the reader as the naivety it was. Peter Rands was quite literally selecting boys from the different Houses, to take under his wing. That is, the nuns handed them over to him, to live in our 'House' - that is Don Bosco. The Houses within the convent comprised of 12 kids, with a nun in charge and a layperson - and 'Uncle' or an 'Aunt' who had care of us overnight. Don Bosco began to have an inordinate number of boys of a certain age. Peter Rands had to tolerate myself and Mole, because we each had a good looking, intelligent, older brother. Ce la vie. The point, I am trying to put across, is that fact that said Peter Rands must have some kind of notoriety? How can so many voices stay silent for so long?

Having said that, I would have to disagree with Freud on this one. For some people it works very well to leave those demons dead and buried and where they belong. And kudos to them. I pretty much live by the philosophy of 'whatever gets you through the night'. Statistically, there are a few, known as 'Childhood Invulnerables' - that is, superkids, who develop a heightened sense of survival, self-preservation. They use their negative experiences and turn them into positives. They become extremely successful in their chosen fields. Their experiences on the streets, and in traumatic domestic situations, enables them to get up off the floor, time and time again. They know exactly how bad things can really get, and spend the rest of their lives avoiding it. The majority, however, lead broken, shortened lives.

I have never looked at it from the Catholics favouring the Irish over the English perspective before. I can sort of see why though, as you say it is historic, what with 'Enery The Eighth I Am', working his way through the Royal Court's debutants, rascal that he was. In fairness though, the Irish had De Valera until 1976, so historically there is a fair bit of loyalty to Rome.

Once you start to look at the White Papers for number of Catholic abuse cases, it is alarming. In my book I did not embellish, nor did I use artistic licence when describing the events that took place. In actual fact, I had many emails from former St Anne's residents, who asked why I held back so much. The sickening truth is, I had some form of protection in that I had living, vocal, parents, the more vulnerable suffered much more than I. For the boys, I did not know what they endured, and it makes me shudder to imagine. However, I have no idea of their own stories, and knowing the taboo surrounding homosexual paedophilia it would have been cruel of me to surmise too much. The sad truth is, childhood abuse is hard to talk about, more so for a man.

As for policing the internet, I hear what you say Tony. However, I would have no idea how anyone would go about it. Literally on a daily, if not hourly, basis, new technology is being discovered, and there are dedicated people out there who will persevere in taking it to the next level. I feel the policing, for want of better word, should come from home and family and friends. When I pointed out to my 12 year old son, that the pneumatic Lollypop Happy who was sending him such delightful bikini pictures was probably a hairy arsed serial killer who probably talked to spiders, it seemed to do the trick.

Technologically, I can see no solution. As I mentioned above, there will always be computer geeks who will out manoevre ever advancement. I am also opposed to censorship. From a personal perspective, I am outraged that any other individual should have the right to decide what I am allowed to see or watch me. It brings out that part of me that is British - How dare they!

Unfortunately, when you go down the censorship route, you are effectively, shooting yourself in the foot Tony. I am aware that I have intertwined two subjects here incidentally. Censorship cannot, will not, ever be restricted to one particular genre. We return to Jarndyce .v. Jarndyce, over and over. Censorship is the last thing, we the people should be demanding. At the moment, I feel as though I am living in a parallel universe. What is the Levenson Enquiry really all about? I wonder if we are walking into a trap?

Since when were 'breaking news' stories ever the result of responsible and politically correct research? With the Levenson Enquiry they have appealed to our human side with stories of Milly Dowler and the McCanns, and like sheep to the slaughter we ask them to gag those daring few, who will push the boundaries, put their lives and careers at stake to bring us the truth from the frontline. It all feels wrong to me. Old rogues like Murdoch will come and go, such is the dialectic, but for me that is not a good enough reason to gag the press.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 29.07.12 18:35

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:..My heart went out to the bedwetters - I think the each individual Sister of Mercy had .developed their own psychopathic way of dealing with this offence against God...
I think 'psychopathic' is the right word, having read Cristobell's book. Had these abusing nuns and paedophile housefathers at St. Anne's been investigated at the time, arrested, charged and convicted, the judge would surely have called for psychiatric reports on them.

Judging by the observations of Cristobell, which I have no reason whatsoever to dispute, some of those individuals who meted out the cruel mental and physical tortures on those poor children at St. Anne's were so twisted, hung-up, brutal and psychologically damaged themselves, that the expert psychiatrists would surely have told the judge: "These people are insane. Lock them up in Rampton".

Yet the Roman Catholic Church allowed these monsters to psychologcially damage and abuse children, aided and abetted by the social workers who put them there - who were either inexcusably naive...or collusive...

Tony, had they been investigated they truly would have been put in prisons for the criminally insane. Alongside whoever in government deemed it a wholesome idea to put creepy single men into homes with vulnerable kids to act as father figures. Digressing slightly, I wept, as many probably did, when I saw that documentary about abuse in care homes for the disabled last year. My heart went out to those poor, sweet people. I have had the privilege to work with the mentally disabled, and grown to love them and appreciate their uncomplicated perspective of life. So too, elderly people, everyone has a story to tell. That evil people such as those in that documentary can still infiltrate the caring system, is an outrage.

I never reached a conclusion on the role of my social worker Tony. I have tried to be kind, in that she was a woman of her time and place. The role of a social worker, was very much a professional middle class job. Miss Bradshaw was a spinster, she would not have been out of place in a Carry On film, the token Mary Whitehouse, who sipped tea, and tut tutted. I think she held the same views as Queen Victoria. Some things simply didn't happen.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 29.07.12 19:29

Jean wrote:I read the book "The God Squad" a few years ago, written by Paddy Doyle about his experiences growing up in Irish orphanages in the 1950s and 1960s.

It's hard to realise that such things happened comparatively recently and some of the perpetrators may still be alive today.

That is a very realistic point Jean , even in Irish papers today !!! I will put up a few links when OH is finished reading them, I only tooik a quick flick through earlier ....

tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Olympicana_Reloaded on 31.07.12 1:27

Police help parents spot child abuse in own homes

By Gareth Rose
Published on Tuesday 31 July 2012 00:00

POLICE have been trained to help parents spot sexual abuse of children taking place in their own home, as a part of a new bid to drive down offending.

The Stop it now! campaign warns that youngsters are at greater risk of assault by someone they know, in their family or community, than by a convicted sex attacker living nearby.

Campaigners want parents to look out for, and be prepared to challenge, tell-tale signs of grooming or assault.

The charity behind the campaign, the Lucy Faithfull Foundation, has trained 600 officers from across Scotland on how to spot abuse. They will now pass that information on in seminars and through community work.

The foundation plans to use the same training to educate 
religious groups, parents’ organisations, community theatres and sports groups.

William Manson, Stop it Now! Scotland project manager, said: “We know that most abuse is committed by people who the children know in the home, not by strangers.

“So much of this goes unreported and that’s why adults need to know the signs to look out for and what to do about it. We cannot leave the child to be the one to take action.”

He added: “It is estimated that one in six children across Scotland experience sexual abuse before the age of 16.

“By working with the police we have been able to spread vital sexual abuse prevention messages at a local level within communities.”

Those who fear abuse may be taking place in their home are encouraged to share their concerns with police or someone else they trust.

Assistant Chief Constable Graham Sinclair of Lothian and Borders Police said: “A large part of the work of the police service is protecting the vulnerable in our communities.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/police-help-parents-spot-child-abuse-in-own-homes-1-2440742

Olympicana_Reloaded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.07.12 8:44

Jean wrote:I read the book "The God Squad" a few years ago, written by Paddy Doyle about his experiences growing up in Irish orphanages in the 1950s and 1960s.

They are still around, being promoted up the ranks to -e.g.- archbishop of Bruges.

Back to top Go down

The tombs of R.C. Cardinals were searched for hidden documents covering up child abuse by priests

Post by Tony Bennett on 31.07.12 9:04

@Portia wrote:

They are still around, being promoted up the ranks to -e.g.- archbishop of Bruges.
Speaking of Belgium, here's an article I wrote, published in 2010:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Belgian R.C. Bishops held for 9 hours as police investigate priestly chid abuse

Cardinals’ tombs drilled open in search for documents

Last week (Thursday 24 June) there was a sensational development in the investigation into the serial abuse of children by Roman Catholic priests when police from Louvain Police Station raided the headquarters of the R.C. Church in Belgium and searched the house of a Cardinal. The offices of a special R.C. Commission set up by the church to handle abuse complaints were also searched by police and ‘over 500 files’ were seized.

Father Michel Bercauld, interviewed on this week’s BBC Radio 4’s Sunday programme, said that the police also drilled into the tombs of at least two dead Cardinals, apparently acting on information that documents pertaining to the alleged cover-up of priestly child sexual abuse had been buried along with the Cardinals.

Police arrived at the Palace of the Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels at 10.30am last Thursday morning whilst the monthly ‘Bishops Meeting’ was in progress. Several dozen church officials were questioned, including several of the Bishops, cooks and drivers. The bishops were not released until 7.30pm - nine hours later. According to spokesman André-Joseph Léonard, the bishops’ mobile ’phones were seized whilst the interviews and searches were carried out. In April this year, the Bishop of Bruges, Roger Vangheluwe, admitted to child sexual abuse of a boy and resigned.

Belgian RTL TV reported on a further raid the same day on the home of Cardinal Godfried Danneels, who retired in January as Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels. His computer was seized. A commentator on Vatican affairs, Mr Tornielli, believed that the Cardinal ‘would have diplomatic immunity as a Vatican official’ and may therefore ‘have given permission’ for a police search of his home’.

SOLIDARITY

On Sunday (27 June) Pope Benedict XVI belatedly responded to the raids, saying in a letter to his Belgian Archbishop: “I want to express, dear brother in the Episcopate, as well as to all the Bishops of Belgium, my closeness and solidarity in this moment of sadness. These searches were carried out using a number of surprising and deplorable methods. I hope that justice will follow its course, while guaranteeing the rights of individuals and institutions, respecting the rights of victims, and acknowledging those who undertake to co-operate with the investigation”.

Paedophile scandals in Belgium are not new. Six years ago, the notorious Marc Dutroux was convicted of child murder, kidnapping and rape in a scandal that was said to reach up to the highest level of the Belgian establishment. The case led to the famous mass ‘white protest’ by parents on the streets of Belgium.

Barbara Dorris, Outreach Director for the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said: "This raid is precisely what’s needed, not just in Belgium but in other church offices across the globe. Police and prosecutors need to step up, and promptly and thoroughly investigate allegations against predator priests and corrupt bishops, and use their full powers to gain access to and control over church records that likely document the crimes and cover-ups”.

These dramatic developments have been little reported in the U.K. The Belgian press claim it is an encouraging sign that the Roman Catholic Church will receive no special treatment from the law enforcement authorities in Belgium.

ENDS

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum