The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Tax Avoidance (Jimmy Carr)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tax Avoidance (Jimmy Carr)

Post by rainbow-fairy on 25.06.12 13:28

Dear R******-J***, If David Cameron thinks Jimmy Carr's tax dodge was morally wrong, why isn't he using his powers as prime minister to stop this kind of thing happening? New, tough, anti-avoidance laws could save the UK millions in lost tax. Let's use this latest scandal to push Cameron to act.A big petition, signed by thousands of us, will prove that the public demands a real clampdown on tax dodging. At the moment Cameron seems to hope that a few soundbites on TV will be enough to make the fuss die down. We need to make him realise he'll lose votes if he fails to act.Please take 30 seconds to add your name to the petition demanding a strong tax-dodging law:https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/ban-tax-dodgingTax-dodging costs the rest of us billions of pounds - money that could be spent on hospitals, schools, policemen. But whilst David Cameron talks tough, the truth is he could be doing much more to stop it. Leading tax experts say what we really need is a legally enshrined “general anti-avoidance principle” - giving courts tough new powers to force dodgers to pay up. [1]Over the past year, 38 Degrees members, together with groups like UK Uncut, have helped shine a light on the scandal of tax-dodging. [2] Actions like our hard-hitting adverts depicting George Osborne as the artful dodger helped make the government realise they can no longer stay silent. Even more public pressure could push them to launch a real crackdown.David Cameron could do more to stop tax-dodging. But he'll only do that if we put him under enough pressure. So please add your name to the petition today:https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/ban-tax-dodgingThanks for being involved,Marie, David T, Hannah, James, David, Cian, Becky, Belinda and the 38 Degrees teamPS: Here’s what Sarah Hurley, a 38 Degrees member said on Facebook: “Carr only did what a lot of people would do, and probably just followed his accountant's advice. If Cameron thinks tax-dodging is so wrong he needs to close the loop-hole, then have a good look at multi-national companies who fail to pay a lot more tax than one TV comedian.” If you agree, add your name: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/ban-tax-dodgingNOTES[1] Tax Justice Network is a global alliance of economists, tax and financial professionals, accountants, lawyers, academics and writers who work to analyse and explain the role of harmful impacts of tax evasion and tax avoidance. They support a broad-based general anti-avoidance principle to tackle tax evasion in the UK - as opposed to the narrowly focused rule proposed by the government. http://www.taxjustice.net/cms/front_content.php?idcat=2[2] Telegraph: Budget 2010 - “Jammy tax dodgers” protest in Whitehall http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/8400804/Budget-2011-Jammy-tax-dodgers-protest-in-Whitehall.htmlGuardian: UK Uncut allowed to challenge Goldman Sachs tax deal http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/14/uk-uncut-challenge-goldman-sachs-tax-court38 Degrees blog: Tax Dodging - Hand-in to HMRC http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2012/04/05/tax-dodging-hand-in-to-hmrc/

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Avoidance not Evasion

Post by PeterMac on 25.06.12 15:09

I think it was Avoidance, which is legal, rather than Evasion, which is illegal.
Perhaps ADMIN might consider making that clear, or changing the heading - since C-R monitor this site !!!!!

It seems to me that there is an easy way of preventing this. Throughout my working life and now that I am in receipt of a pension the money put into my account is paid net of tax. The slip show the gross amount and the various deductions.
The department administering this submit to the Exchequer a list of payments and deductions, and they then leave me alone.
My suggestion is simply to extend this to every person or company which makes a payment for services, whether that payment is made to a Company, either in Britain or overseas, or to an individual, in cash, or by bank transfer, or cheque.
The amount paid is the amount on the invoice LESS 20%, which is withheld and paid to the Treasury.

Failure to do this is deemed to be money laundering and is punishable as now.

If at the end of the financial year you have not made enough to justify the overall 20% you simply submit the appropriate, and very simple, tax return, showing what you earned and what was deducted, and by return you would receive a refund of the outstanding amount.
If you have made the amount which would qualify for the 20% you need do nothing.
If you have made an amount which would attract higher taxation you make the return and pay. Or they do the sums for you and send you the bill.

Is that too difficult ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tax Avoidance (Jimmy Carr)

Post by anil39200 on 25.06.12 16:06

My biggest shock was being told he was a comedian!!

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 25.06.12 17:36

@PeterMac wrote:I think it was Avoidance, which is legal, rather than Evasion, which is illegal.
Perhaps ADMIN might consider making that clear, or changing the heading - since C-R monitor this site !!!!!

It seems to me that there is an easy way of preventing this. Throughout my working life and now that I am in receipt of a pension the money put into my account is paid net of tax. The slip show the gross amount and the various deductions.
The department administering this submit to the Exchequer a list of payments and deductions, and they then leave me alone.
My suggestion is simply to extend this to every person or company which makes a payment for services, whether that payment is made to a Company, either in Britain or overseas, or to an individual, in cash, or by bank transfer, or cheque.
The amount paid is the amount on the invoice LESS 20%, which is withheld and paid to the Treasury.

If at the end of the financial year you have not made enough to justify the overall 20% you simply submit the appropriate, and very simple, tax return, showing what you earned and what was deducted, and by return you would receive a refund of the outstanding amount.
If you have made the amount which would qualify for the 20% you need do nothing.
If you have made an amount which would attract higher taxation you make the return and pay. Or they do the sums for you and send you the bill.

Is that too difficult ?
Sorry PeterMac, 'Avoidance' may be more appropriate than 'Evasion' ~ I just put what my e~mail title said.
I believe the title could be improved further still had I written 'TAX' as opposed to 'TSX' Wink

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.06.12 18:03

It is one of those legal points so beloved of libel lawyers.
Avoidance is OK. Indeed it is encouraged amongst higher tax payers ( or should one say Potential higher tax payers)
Evasion is a crime.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.06.12 20:02

@rainbow-fairy wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:I think it was Avoidance, which is legal, rather than Evasion, which is illegal.

Is that too difficult ?
Sorry PeterMac, 'Avoidance' may be more appropriate than 'Evasion' ~ I just put what my e~mail title said.
I believe the title could be improved further still had I written 'TAX' as opposed to 'TSX' Wink

Have altered topic heading

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum