The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Football

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Football

Post by PeterMac on 23.06.12 12:04

Can't resist sharing this with you all.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eusebio has died

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 10:01

Back to top Go down

Re: Football

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 13:14

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25611509

Even I have heard of him.
Oh, Eusebio ! RIP. Last time I watched football voluntarily and with pleasure was Real Madrid - Benfica in the 60s, starring, I say STARRING Eusebio and DiStefano. Those were the days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.01.14 13:24

Châtelaine wrote:
No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25611509

Even I have heard of him.
Oh, Eusebio ! RIP. Last time I watched football voluntarily and with pleasure was Real Madrid - Benfica in the 60s, starring, I say STARRING Eusebio and DiStefano. Those were the days.

Eusebio? Benfica? Who?

Here's Eusebio and Benfica's 'finest' getting massacred by Derby County (1972):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VrfPx7e3fo

As a former resident in Derby for many years, I went to see this fantastic match.

The glory days of Brian Clough and Derby County...

Derby County 3  Benfica 0

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 05.01.14 15:05

@Tony Bennett wrote:

Before Cloughie's true glory days at Forest - league title, two European Cups and four League Cups.
Brought down by his chronic alcoholism and badly concealed financial corruption

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.01.14 15:34

@PeterMac wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

Before Cloughie's true glory days at Forest -  league title, two European Cups and four League Cups.
Brought down by his chronic alcoholism and badly concealed financial corruption

Happy to concede that Cloughie's Nottingham Forest matched Cloughie's Derby County - the brilliance of both teams was outstanding - though I think Peter Taylor had a lot to do with both teams' success.

The phrase 'Cloughie likes a bung' preceded 'Arry Redknapp likes a bung' by about 30 years.

Looking at those old YouTube videos, I don't see any better football on view today - there was no professional 'diving' and the goal celebrations were muted - and nearly all the players in the top division were English 

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 05.01.14 16:10

Peter Taylor ran it for many years. Clough was a burned out wreck.
He was in hospital for a fortnight before one of the Cup finals, being dried out.
I had a stand up argument with my Ch Supt - a football fanatic- about whether I would be justified in arresting him for being Drunk in a designated Sportsground, if he went out onto the pitch.
On that occasion they kept him in the board room.
They couldn't know what I might have done, and daren't risk it.
I was on record as having cautioned Neil Warnock for throwing his cushion onto the pitch and then walking off, but across the corner - encroaching onto the field of play - during the match
I got him before he dived down the players tunnel - which at County was under the Kop end, rather than at the side, and dressed him down and took his name in my pocket book under the slightly stunned gaze of the crowd, and the ref. who stopped the match for a minute or so.
So they kept Clough indoors.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 05.01.14 16:37

Watching that Eusebio clip was amazing.  Sportsmen had better manners in those days too.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.01.14 17:17

@PeterMac wrote:Peter Taylor ran it for many years.  Clough was a burned out wreck.
He was in hospital for a fortnight before one of the Cup finals, being dried out.
I had a stand up argument with my Ch Supt - a football fanatic- about whether I would be justified in arresting him for being Drunk in a designated Sportsground, if he went out onto the pitch.
On that occasion they kept him in the board room.
They couldn't know what I might have done, and daren't risk it.
I was on record as having cautioned Neil Warnock for throwing his cushion onto the pitch and then walking off, but across the corner - encroaching onto the field of play - during the match
I got him before he dived down the players tunnel - which at County was under the Kop end, rather than at the side, and dressed him down and took his name in my pocket book under the slightly stunned gaze of the crowd, and the ref. who stopped the match for a minute or so.
So they kept Clough indoors.
Neil Warnock story -  Well done Peter M.   We could do with some more like you these days.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 18:23

And may I bring the original subject back?

EUSEBIO. http://www.europeancuphistory.com/euro62.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 18:50

@Tony Bennett wrote:

Here's Eusebio and Benfica's 'finest' getting massacred by Derby County (1972):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VrfPx7e3fo

Hmm. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that I could have played in that Benfica side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 19:47

Hmmm, I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that I finally saw some minutes of football again, that I really could enjoy. Have you seen any yellow or red cards? Anyone rolling on the floor, pretending to have been hurt? Delaying tactics? Sneaky injuries, like elbows up? The best ones won. And this time it wasn't Benfica. That's sports. And that's been lost a long time ago :-(
Money, money, money ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 20:20

Châtelaine wrote:Hmmm, I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that I finally saw some minutes of football again, that I really could enjoy. Have you seen any yellow or red cards? Anyone rolling on the floor, pretending to have been hurt? Delaying tactics?  Sneaky injuries, like elbows up? The best ones won. And this time it wasn't Benfica. That's sports. And that's been lost a long time ago :-(
Money, money, money ...

At least I can trap a ball without it bouncing ten yards off my shins. And I pay to play!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.01.14 22:33

Last time I tried to contribute something to something called "football" ... Or any other sport as for that matter. All of which have gone down the gravy train trail. It's only about money ... Grandma talking, I know  big grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 06.01.14 8:46

Châtelaine wrote:And may I bring the original subject back?

You can try !
I had never heard of him, but took no interest in the game itself, which I despise, only in the professional policing of a large and potentially dangerous crown event.

I know we had Peter Shilton, because I was on duty when he was breathalysed, with Tina in his car, on my patch ! And he was brilliant, on any test.
And I heard the name Psycho Pearce, though I could not pick him out on an ID parade
Other than that I have heard of George Best, Gordon Banks, and Stanley Matthews, who I saw at Grimsby about a hundred years ago.
And that is about it.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.01.14 9:38

@PeterMac wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:And may I bring the original subject back?

You can try !
I had never heard of him, but took no interest in the game itself, which I despise, only in the professional policing of a large and potentially dangerous crown event.

I know we had Peter Shilton, because I was on duty when he was breathalysed, with Tina in his car, on my patch !  And he was brilliant, on any test.
And I heard the name Psycho Pearce, though I could not pick him out on an ID parade
Other than that I have heard of George Best, Gordon Banks, and Stanley Matthews, who I saw at Grimsby about a hundred years ago.
And that is about it.

Heh PeterMac, I have been in a, ahem, "disturbance" in the away end at Notts County before. Might it have been you that bludgeoned me? What a small world!

Back to top Go down

Post by Five Star on 06.01.14 11:07

Just for laughs..........   big grin 

Is someone special in the gallery
I think maybe I missed her
I will have to ask my sister
but she's a twister
she's a goon
she's a looney tuney
she even fancies Wayne Rooney.

Five Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 06.01.14 11:55

For weeks after Shilton was caught the Kop end used to sing
"Tina, Tina"

and then

"Peter Shi-l-ton,
Peter Shi-l-ton
Does your missis know you're here
Does your missis know you're here"

to the tune of Great Jehovah.

As he was on goal, he was rather stuck with it !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.01.14 13:01

Châtelaine wrote:Hmmm, I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that I finally saw some minutes of football again, that I really could enjoy. Have you seen any yellow or red cards? Anyone rolling on the floor, pretending to have been hurt? Delaying tactics?  Sneaky injuries, like elbows up? The best ones won. And this time it wasn't Benfica. That's sports. And that's been lost a long time ago :-(
Money, money, money ...
Chatelaine, I believe you live in France? May I have the temerity to nudge your gaze southwards towards the rugby league heartland of your country? There is a game which represents the antithesis of all you describe. Real men, battling through with crippling injuries, desperate to stay on the pitch because the spectacle they are providing is so exciting, fast, spectacular and so, so addictive. Such skill and bravery! Selfless courage!

The Catalan Dragons are based in Perpignan and play in the English Super League, the top rugby league competition in Europe. Every other week they fly over to play here, but on opposite weeks a UK based team fly into Perpignan, accompanied by thousands of English fans. I believe those games are on French national TV. The Catalan games are very intense - they are an excellent side - and their fans are scarily partisan inside the ground,  but wonderfully welcoming and friendly outside it.

Give it a try, do. I promise you will have your faith in sport renewed!  yes  Rugby is, of course, the original game of football. The inferior product discussed in this thread is a modern derivative called Association Football - soccer - and, imo, should never be referred to as 'football', it is an embarrassment compared to the true football game RUGBY! (League, that is, not that other poor relation, rugby union.)

ETA - I should mention it's the closed season at the moment. The 2014 Super League competition starts at the end of February.  cheerleader

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum