The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

OLYMPIC Disatsers

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by jd on 29.07.12 0:11

This is what happens when the Olympics is about purely making money, money and money...rather than an event for the people from all walks of life of the city to enjoy

Probe as rows of seats unused at SOLD OUT Games events

OLYMPICS organisers have launched a probe into why rows of prime seats were left EMPTY throughout yesterday’s opening swimming sessions. Hundreds of privileged ticket-holders failed to turn up to watch the world's top swimmers despite the heats being completely "sold out" to the public.

The investigation will centre on London 2012 corporate ticket-holders, sponsors and members of the Olympics organising 'family' who failed to occupy their allotted poolside spots.

Large pockets of unused seats were also obvious at the beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade, the dressage at Greenwich Park, gymnastics at the O2 and the tennis at Wimbledon. Organisers LOCOG will now identify who had rights to the individual seats and find out why they hadn’t showed up.

Swathes of empty seats were clearly visible in all sections of the Aquatics Centre which featured Britain’s medal hopeful Hannah Miley in the women’s 400m individual medley, while 'ordinary' paying spectators were perched high up well away from the swimmers.

Fans fumed as they left the arena. Business consultant Jay Olivia, 41, from Chelsea, said: “The swimming was fantastic and the sound was so loud in there but everywhere you looked there were rows of empty seats.

“There needs to be a better service on offer to avoid it looking like no-one has turned up. “People would queue for hours just on the off chance of getting a ticket if people don’t turn up but there isn’t that facility.”

Anoma Radkevitch, 42, from Wokingham, Berkshire, said: “I heard that the tickets were being given away to the armed forces and their families but they weren’t there.

“If there are empty seats, they have to be filled. People would give their right arm to be here and the system is letting them down. “I would say there was between one and two thousand seats lying empty.

“If people don’t turn up after 30 minutes the ticket should be resold at a reduced rate. It’s about bringing as many people to the Olympics as possible.”

Shelley Goldring, 43, from Sevenoaks, Kent, said: “I know people who have applied in the ballots and tried to buy them online without any luck. “They must be furious watching the TV. Friends of mine who are members of swimming clubs haven’t been able to find tickets, it’s those sort of people I feel for.”

A LOCOG spokesperson said: “We are aware that some venues have empty seats this morning. “We believe the empty seats are in accredited seating areas, and we are in the process of finding out who should have been in the seats and why they weren’t there.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4460392/London-2012-Probe-launched-into-empty-seats-fury-at-SOLD-OUT-events.html
-------

Journalists who saw Michael Phelps suffer his first Olympic defeat in eight years couldn't help but notice the number of empty seats in the Aquatic Centre.

FROM @_PAULHAYWARD ON TWITTER: This Aquatics Centre should have been rammed for that race but there are empty seats everywhere. Stewards' Inquiry!

FROM @MARKCHAPMAN ON TWITTER: Are there a lot of people in white at the swimming or are there more empty seats?

London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has previously threatened to name and shame companies which do not use their tickets (we shall see!!!! will depend on the money lost if he does)

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30.07.12 19:15

Oh dear it gets worse, food and drink shortages now...............

30 July 2012 Last updated at 16:54

Olympic food and drinks shortages prompt supplies boost

By Claire Heald

BBC 2012 at Olympic Park

[snipped]

Spectators have complained about difficulty getting water
Food and water supplies are being increased at Olympic venues after long queues and supply shortages during the opening days, organisers have said.

Football fans said food ran out at Wembley Stadium on Sunday and there were long queues for water fountains at Greenwich Park in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19053815

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 30.07.12 19:35

My daughter sent me a message today to say she was eating scones with clotted cream at Greenwich Park before walking the cross country course, so not all bad.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.08.12 21:29

This is a corker what

31 July 2012 Last updated at 19:10

.Boris Johnson invites Rupert Murdoch to London Olympics

Rupert Murdoch and his wife Wendi will join the mayor on Friday at the Olympics Continue reading the main story

London Mayor Boris Johnson has invited News Corporation chief Rupert Murdoch to attend the Olympics.

Mr Murdoch and his wife Wendi Deng are expected to join Mr Johnson on Friday.

The meeting is part of Mr Johnson's drive to use the Games to promote London to leading business figures and encourage investment.

Labour members on the London Assembly have questioned the "appropriateness" of the invitation.

More on this link........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19068974

Back to top Go down

Boris gets stuck on zip wire.

Post by Spaniel on 02.08.12 7:19

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 06.08.12 20:30

Having posted anti-olympic all along, I now have to eat humble pie and confess I'm enjoying it.
It helps that I don't have a TV and have to watch bits and pieces on a very good NL programme which gives me a choice of whatever sport I want to watch on my laptop.
The Italian girls winning the fencing gold, silver and bronze and of course the team foil, the poor South Korean girl epee fencer who had a wrong decision made by the referee, all so interesting to watch. Last night was the best with the evenly matched Japanese and Italians fighting for gold.
Seeing the pride they took in singing their national anthem, the general friendliness after the match with the opponents, fantastic!

It's one of the few sports I know anything about, tennis being another. Federer losing to Murray was really too bad, Murray is even worse as a winner than a loser, just not a nice person imo.

The Dutch girl winning the swimming was really cute, as in the evening they showed her as a ten year old getting a cup in a council swimming pool. Her parents and brother came along but took it all very calmly. She went to bed in time she said, having won gold, because she always did to be fit.

The other sport I love isn't on the menu, Olympic cricket might just take too long?

The event I did see on TV, the triathlon which went all the way through London seemed it a rather friendly and jolly affair. Although I don't like any of the three sports. I prefer pentathlon where they get breathalised before the shooting...

I get the impression of a far friendlier Olympics than I've ever seen before - anyone agree?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 06.08.12 21:30

I have to eat humble pie too! I am now really enjoying it too and was glued to the TV over the weekend. Saturday was one of the best sporting days ever, 3 Golds in 47 minutes and they way they won them was fantastic (if you are British). The organisation & the branding/corporates has been atrocious..... but Team GB have made me feel really proud

I never had you down as a cricket fan Tigger!!!!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.08.12 17:47

have to admit I was pretty doubtful about hosting the olympics.. I was lucky enough to get tickets to the athletics this morning and have to say it was a pretty wonderful experience. The atmosphere was extremely friendly. Just about getting my hearing back after the mexican wave of cheering that followed Mo Farah around the track on the 5000 metres on every lap. Not just the brits that got cheered though - the turkish woman who was injured but limped the last lap in agony, the mens decathlon athletes in the long jump , the first saudi arabian woman in the olympics , all getting cheered every step of the way.

I think if it had been in corporate hands to staff the games then it would have had a very different atmosphere - it's the volunteers that want to be there that make the big difference. They were everywhere, giving directions, getting the crowd going and staffing the various food, drink and information outlets.

The olympic park is very well laid out and it absorbs the crowds really well - plenty of places to escape the crowds and sit on the grass amongst the wild flowers...

I live in London and have never seen it so friendly and welcoming - let's hope it continues after the games are over.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 08.08.12 17:53

There's a live broadcast from the Heineken House every night, going over the day's events. They're all bowled over by the friendliness, the crowds, the helpful volunteers.

It really is fantastic! GB getting lots of medals, someone should work out how many medals per million of population?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 08.08.12 18:11

@tigger wrote:There's a live broadcast from the Heineken House every night, going over the day's events. They're all bowled over by the friendliness, the crowds, the helpful volunteers.

It really is fantastic! GB getting lots of medals, someone should work out how many medals per million of population?

Good to hear it's going down well abroad - nice to have some positive press.

The guardian have an alternative medals table... medals by gdp and population:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/2012/jul/30/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 08.08.12 18:36

@tigger wrote:
An Olympic medal costs around 4.5 million pounds to generate. (For bean counters !)

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 08.08.12 19:36

@PeterMac wrote:
@tigger wrote:
An Olympic medal costs around 4.5 million pounds to generate. (For bean counters !)

Ah, but the London Olympics seem to do a better job at international cooperation than anything so far devised by politicians. The feel good factor must also be worth something, at least the Daily Mail doom and gloom can't find much to complain about although they're trying hard.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum