The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

OLYMPIC Disatsers

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 12.07.12 22:17

@tigger wrote:
@jd wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Will the M4 be open ?
They said next Monday morning. Expect September at the earliest!
You're enjoying this aren't you PeterMac winkwink winkwink safe and far away on your hacienda..
I think the decision to build the Millennium Dome, and then to bring the Olympics to London were the opening and closing ceremonies of a disastrous government.

Disastrous for all except the main participants, of course, who now wallow in their untold millions, or ponce around in the Lords on £350 per day if they bother to turn up,and collect their non-executive directorships the way the rest of us collect bills..
When I say disastrous, I mean for everyone else. Everyone who had a job, or a pension, any savings, any plans for their future.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 12.07.12 22:28

@PeterMac wrote:
@tigger wrote:
@jd wrote:
You're enjoying this aren't you PeterMac safe and far away on your hacienda..
I think the decision to build the Millennium Dome, and then to bring the Olympics to London were the opening and closing ceremonies of a disastrous government.

Disastrous for all except the main participants, of course, who now wallow in their untold millions, or ponce around in the Lords on £350 per day if they bother to turn up,and collect their non-executive directorships the way the rest of us collect bills..
When I say disastrous, I mean for everyone else. Everyone who had a job, or a pension, any savings, any plans for their future.

You'll be delighted to know that Tony Blair is making a come-back after the Olympic Games to advise on sport to the Labour Party. Now I wonder how many friends, business interests he has in that little lot.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 12.07.12 22:32

@aquila wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:
@tigger wrote:
@jd wrote:

You'll be delighted to know that Tony Blair is making a come-back after the Olympic Games to advise on sport to the Labour Party. Now I wonder how many friends, business interests he has in that little lot.

Didn't Gerry McCann do some work with health/sport? Gosh wouldn't it be cozy if he was to be asked to join Tony Blair?

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 13.07.12 6:25

Nina wrote:
Didn't Gerry McCann do some work with health/sport? Gosh wouldn't it be cozy if he was to be asked to join Tony Blair? unquote

In 2000 he was lecturing in sports medicine in Glasgow. He was quoted on drugs in sport in a BBC article. He also wrote a paper on the subject which imo was about O-level grade. I really don't rate his academic capabilities. (the BBC article is under Gerry McCann on McCannfiles)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were invited to join the VIPs at the games. Shame they can't persuade the organisers to run a screen with that iconic image on it. If all had gone according to plan, they'd definitely be part of the whole Olympic/political agenda. Meeting royalty, commenting on the runners and giving interviews as ambassadors for amber alert.
This is what their lives should have been like but for those persistent policemen doing their job.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 13.07.12 8:25

@tigger wrote:[...]
This is what their lives should have been like but for those persistent policemen doing their job.
Bloody Policemen, spend their lives going around spoiling other people's fun !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 13.07.12 8:49

@tigger wrote:
You're enjoying this aren't you PeterMac winkwink winkwink safe and far away on your hacienda..
Believe me I am not.
I find incompetence and failure to plan very annoying, to say the least. Most of my professional training in the last three quarters of my career was about forward planing, thinking ahead, putting the "What if" scenario. I bossed Nottingham Forest, Nottingham County and Trent Bridge Cricket matches for many years. Every one needed a full IIMAC Operational order, with all reasonably foreseeable contingencies covered. I did a summer operational exchange to Skegness - the East Lindsay Sib division, where the nearest assistance was over an hour away, unlike in a City, where you could have 30 cops from the next division in 10 minutes. So you are always thinking about "What if". Your mind becomes attuned.
Expect the unexpected. Foresee the unforeseeable, are phrases used in senior officer training. At Bramshill they have a mock ops room, and as you work in real time through a scenario they change the input. In other words if you are doing OK, they throw something else in. Change the wind direction at a major fire, bring down your spotter helicopter, crash your phone network...

All ludicrous, but it puts you on notice that you might think about these things at a more normal plane crash on the M1, for example, which was right on the edge of my patch.

That these things have not been sorted out, even though Coe et al have had 8 years notice, is to my mind inexcusable.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline on 13.07.12 9:11

@tigger wrote:Nina wrote:
Didn't Gerry McCann do some work with health/sport? Gosh wouldn't it be cozy if he was to be asked to join Tony Blair? unquote

In 2000 he was lecturing in sports medicine in Glasgow. He was quoted on drugs in sport in a BBC article. He also wrote a paper on the subject which imo was about O-level grade. I really don't rate his academic capabilities. (the BBC article is under Gerry McCann on McCannfiles)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were invited to join the VIPs at the games. Shame they can't persuade the organisers to run a screen with that iconic image on it. If all had gone according to plan, they'd definitely be part of the whole Olympic/political agenda. Meeting royalty, commenting on the runners and giving interviews as ambassadors for amber alert.

Well I'd like to know why Kate isn't competing in the Olympics in some running event. After all she's a seriously fit woman who finds time to run even when her daughter has just disappeared. if she won gold she could have an auction to flog off the medal - for the Fund and the 'search' of course!

pauline

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 13.07.12 9:13

I'm sorry - I totally agree with you. It's just that I once had very good advice from a builder of all people:

If there's nothing you can do about a situation, try to look for the amusement value in it. It helps.

I cannot stand incompetence - so many people have risen to their own level of incompetence (the Peter Principle) that one has to make a choice. Ignore them or burst a blood vessel.

In any case this is rather like watching a Greek tragedy unfold, you know it's going wrong but thank goodness it's not a worthwhile event in any case.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 13.07.12 9:14

I wish they hadn't called it the Peter principle !!!

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 13.07.12 10:05

Why do countries bid for the Olympics? especially countries in economic downturn/crisis. What's in it for them? Is it the idea of tourist spending boosting the economy? Is it the idea of lucrative overseas investment/contracts? Is it the idea that hosting the Olympic Games is actually good for the country? Is it the idea that it will promote sport and leave a legacy of sport facilities to the masses? (that one has me chuckling).

Add to the mix that UK is a high terrorist target makes me wonder why the UK government bothered to bid.

The cost of the Olympic Games 2012 would go a long way to investing in UK jobs - the armed forces and police service are being slashed, the NHS is a shambles, we have a mine of other problems as well.

Everything is being out-sourced. G4S (coming to a police station near you soon), A4E (I don't even want to go there with my thoughts) Care for the elderly makes me want to scream.

My opinion is that the scramble to host the Olympic Games is to feather the nests and line the pockets of the elite - the elite who have had 8 years to make things happen and haven't don it yet but never mind hey.

It comes down to accountability. When the Games are over will it be clear how UK have benefitted? that's an opportunity for the spin doctors to really make a packet. Will it be clear who personally benefitted? - not a chance.

herrumph.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.07.12 13:25

Too long to copy, so here is the link, to the story today.................

13 July 2012 Last updated at 13:16

London 2012: The great Olympics sponsorship bandwagon

[snipped]

Once upon a time the Olympics was about amateurism and the pleasure of sport. But now there is a distinctly commercial ring to them. So has the Olympics become too much about sponsorship?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18182541

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 15.07.12 13:45

In light of the recent G4S scandal, this article from undercover reporter Ryan Kisiel of the DM gives an insight of the calibre of 'security guards' that will be protecting the games. The most secure Olympics in history

I shouldn't be laughing as this is a serious matter, but its like a carry on movie!

-------
I signed up for Olympics security course in 90 seconds! Mail reporter experiences the shambolic G4S training centre first hand
* Ryan Kisiel posed as unemployed man seeking work as a security guard
* Some of the other applicants could hardly read or write English

Such is the desperation of G4S bosses to fill security places that when I walked into their Olympic base I was signed up to a training course within 90 seconds. Once inside, utter confusion reigned in the makeshift centre in the shadow of the Olympic Park. big grin I had arrived shortly before 9am on Thursday posing as an unemployed man seeking work as a security guard. With no checks or questions, I was whisked into a large lecture hall with 130 other people and a woman demanding to see my passport. ‘Passport, name, date of birth,’ she barked.

I handed it over. I was now officially signed up to complete a course to become a security guard. big grin

Teams of women were frantically stuffing envelopes and desperately shouting just to get the huge herd of people processed without any attempt to check if they were meant to be there.
In what is supposed to be the most secure Olympics in history, I had managed to simply waltz in and register to be one of those given the huge responsibility of helping guard it. I could have been a terrorist or a convicted criminal. While later detailed investigations may have exposed my true identity, with the rush to approve the thousands of security applications in just days, it is possible I could have slipped through the net.

During my day’s training I witnessed the absolute administrative chaos and the poor calibre of candidates who could hardly fill out basic forms, let alone stay awake during the day. big grin

The hall in the University of East London was filled with lots of people in their late teens and early twenties who had been largely signed up straight from college and Jobcentres. These would make up the bulk of ‘perimeter security’, big grin with the crucial job of guarding entrances, exits and borders of the events, making sure nothing was smuggled in. The trainer who ran the course warned us not to fall asleep as we were ‘getting paid to attend’. big grin

Staggeringly, five people did doze off and had to be abruptly woken up; someone the previous week was caught doing his college homework. big grin
It took the class around an hour to fill out the basic Security Industry Authority application form that asked only for name, age and address. big grin It was made easier as the supervisor filled it out on a big screen with us line by line. big grin Two men on last week’s course had to leave after admitting they were awaiting criminal trials; others were removed after declaring past convictions.

One man, originally from East Africa, could hardly read or write English and had to be helped to fill out his form personally, but still managed to write his date of birth down so it made him six months old. big grin

Three boys aged 18 from the local sixth-form college slumped in the back row and were continually told off for not taking their baseball caps off and for spitting in the street outside during ‘smoke breaks’. big grin

Yesterday, I arrived at 7.30am to fill out the last admin documents and produce utility bills to prove my address and was allowed straight in. Eight people were later thrown off the course – seven for arriving more than an hour late and one who had ‘altered’ something on his passport overnight before handing it in.

In an attempt to get people ‘switched on’, the class was told that some security staff had already been sacked – including one for committing a vile act in the aquatic centre. big grin

During the day, my name was read out from the list to complete the course’s 40-minute multiple choice exam. I asked a manager what the test was like.
He quipped: ‘If you don’t pass it you’re a remedial as the questions are like:

Is a security operator
a) someone who carries out security duties at a licensed premises,
b) a milkman
c) a pilot.’

I wished he was wrong – there were people on our course repeating it after failing the exam the week before. what

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173338/London-2012-Olympics-Mail-reporter-experiences-shambolic-G4S-training-centre.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.07.12 13:50

OMG that would be funny if it wasn't so scary

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 15.07.12 13:59

candyfloss wrote:OMG that would be funny if it wasn't so scary

I know!!! Its so scary that it has got me into hysterics!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 15.07.12 14:04

OMG!!!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 15.07.12 14:17

That is absolutely shocking! However it has to be said that part of the blame for this lies with logcog. (?) under the terms of the contract G4S were originally asked to supply 2000 security staff. It was only in December 2011 that Locog then turned round and said actually, we'd like you to supply another 8000. I guess G4S agreed. But it does say something about the level of planning that only 7 months before the games start they are suddenly thinking they might be a bit short on security staff.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 15.07.12 14:27

@uppatoffee wrote:That is absolutely shocking! However it has to be said that part of the blame for this lies with logcog. (?) under the terms of the contract G4S were originally asked to supply 2000 security staff. It was only in December 2011 that Locog then turned round and said actually, we'd like you to supply another 8000. I guess G4S agreed. But it does say something about the level of planning that only 7 months before the games start they are suddenly thinking they might be a bit short on security staff.

They should have contracted out 4 top security companies to employ the security guards, not just the one. I am sure there was a golden handshake somewhere with someone for G4S only getting the contract. Thank god there was a 3.500 shortfall, at least the army have now taken these positions. If left to GS4 they would employ anyone who can fill out a form & give them a days training!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.07.12 14:39

@Nina wrote:
@aquila wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:
@tigger wrote:
@jd wrote:

Didn't Gerry McCann do some work with health/sport? Gosh wouldn't it be cozy if he was to be asked to join Tony Blair?

Sorry, you're getting your priorities all wrong.

Nowadays it's Tony who'll count himself lucky to be allowed to kiss Gerries hand, not the other way around.

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 15.07.12 15:38

There's another one in the Sun today...even more shocking. There are pictures and videos on the site
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4430122/Knives-OKas-long-bras-its-not-terrorism.html

Knives OK...as long as it’s not terrorism
We expose shocking farce of G4S training for guards at 2012 Olympics

AN investigation by The Sun reveals today the full extent of the shambles surrounding security preparations for the Olympics.

Panicking Games bosses called up 3,500 extra troops on Wednesday after it emerged blundering security contractor G4S doesn’t have enough staff.

But after our investigator completed the firm’s crash training course, we can reveal that is just the tip of the iceberg. We found:

A TRAINER said it was not a problem if someone took in a knife and stabbed three people — so long as it wasn’t a terrorist attack. what

RECRUITS not fully vetted by organisers were handed sensitive details on guarding against terror.

ROOKIES with no security experience were given as little as two-and-a-half days of specialist training.

REPLICA bombs, knives and guns missed by recruits in dummy runs.

TRAINEES regularly doze off during training classes.

APPLICANTS who fail criminal record checks are allowed to carry on, according to union staff.

INSTRUCTORS show Ali G comedy sketches and break into song what

------
The Sun reveals its findings after G4S chief Nick Buckles yesterday admitted his firm “underestimated” its task — then said it was likely 10 per cent of his staff would not turn up. He also said he could not guarantee all staff speak English — saying it was a “difficult question to answer”.

G4S has trained and deployed just 4,000 of the 13,700 guards it was contracted for in a £284million deal.

We began our probe in June after a concerned applicant called us.

Our man went for an interview near the Olympic site in Stratford, East London. He said: “Most could not complete a basic Criminal Records Bureau form and were asked by the staff to do it again. One guy had 13 or 14 attempts. I was shocked to see these standard of people at the final part of the interview process.

“It would lead me to believe that they will employ anyone who turns up on the day.”

Every candidate needs proof of identity, address and a checkable work history — plus a criminal record check and security clearance.

Yet our man began training eight days before he was told he passed “standard screening and vetting”.

He said: “I was being given confidential information on security procedures and I hadn’t been fully vetted. Anyone could’ve been there — including potential terrorists.

“Most people I met had little or no security experience and I couldn’t believe how little instruction we received before we were meant to be on the frontline. It’s frightening.”

Asked about the decision to not ban religious blades, a trainer said: “Maybe you can stab one, two or three people. It’s not a terrorist threat.”

At the end, our man told G4S he was an undercover investigator. Five days later, G4S rang him and asked if he was available for work. wft

As well as recruiting in job centres, the firm is now hiring students. A G4S official at the recruitment centre told our man: “Lot of rushing. We are doing 1,000-plus a day now.”

---------

I work for G4Snore

FAST asleep and snoring — this is a G4S guard drafted in to protect the public from Olympic terrorists.

The shocking video was passed to The Sun by furious workmates. The Nigerian — called Abel Ukwuoma according to his pass — was curled up at 10.30pm at the Olympic complex in East London.

One colleague said: “He was snoring like a pig. There are signs on site forbidding security staff from sleeping, even on breaks.”

G4S promised a probe and said: “At the time this was recorded he would have been due a break. But we take a dim view of staff sleeping at work, even on breaks.”

affraid

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.07.12 16:07

Theresa May 'warned about G4S security fiasco 10 MONTHS AGO' as rookie Heathrow staff 'let in terror suspects ahead of Games'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173798/London-2012-Olympics-Home-Secretary-warned-G4S-Olympics-security-shambles-10-months-ago.html

Back to top Go down

Post by anil39200 on 15.07.12 16:24

Please correct me if I am incorrect. Is not G4S a rebranding of Group 4 and Securicor? In which case having worked years ago in a sector which involved both companies I could have advised this crappy government numerous times of their failings for absolutely no

On a more serious note in an interview today the culture secretary (yes he is still in a job) Hunt proffered the explanation that most companies with big contracts 'make mistakes' so thats alright then eh Jezza? I can see after many of the stories coming out of this that somewhere along the line this olympic farce will end in tears!!

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.07.12 16:44

15 July 2012 Last updated at 15:08
London 2012 security not compromised, says Coe

Lord Coe said servicemen and women would do an "extraordinary" job in providing security

G4S profile: What is G4S?

It emerged last Wednesday that 3,500 troops were being drafted in to plug gaps in security staff provision.

"We will work very hard, we will remedy this - security will not be compromised," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

Meanwhile, Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman told Sky News the government had failed to properly monitor G4S.

The security firm has said it stands to lose up to £50m after being unable to provide the 10,000 staff it had been contracted to deliver.

Lord Coe said 100 venues and more than 2,000 sessions of sport meant "this comes together in stages and when the rubber really hits the road, that's when plans collide with reality and that's the reality of security".

He added: "I can't put it more simply than this, G4S expected people to materialise and when they didn't, as the home secretary has said, we moved very quickly to fill that gap."

A "prudent and judicious plan" had been put in place, he added.

"This is not about numbers, this is about the mix."

He said people should not run away with the idea that "suddenly we haven't got G4S in place - we have".

"I'm in the Olympic Park every day - we've got 4,000 trained G4S personnel in the park and they've been there for some years and they've been doing a spectacularly good job."

On Saturday, G4S chief executive Nick Buckles told BBC News he only "began to know it was going wrong eight or nine days ago".

He said that, as large numbers were being interviewed, trained, licensed and accredited, "it is only when you get closer to the Games you realise that the number is not as high as you expect".

Mr Buckles indicated in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph that he "could quit" over the fiasco.
Inspectors' concerns
Home Secretary Theresa May has said she was made aware of the scale of the problem at G4S only last Wednesday.

Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

Security is the government's responsibility and if they contracted out they can't just wash their hands of it, they've got to take responsibility”
End Quote Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman
Earlier reports that security minister James Brokenshire attended daily senior level Olympics security meetings were incorrect, the Home Office said.

A spokesman said the meetings with department officials, G4S and organisers Locog - which have taken place for the past three weeks - were not focused on the wider G4S recruiting problems, but on issues such as the lockdown and roll-out of venues.

Meanwhile, the government has acknowledged that inspectors raised concerns 10 months ago about security planning for the Olympics.

It said September's confidential report by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary had identified a number of issues, but it insisted these were all resolved by February.

Harriet Harman, meanwhile, told Sky News: "You can't just give people a ton of public money and say, 'oh well, now it's your responsibility'.

"No, security is the government's responsibility and if they contracted out they can't just wash their hands of it, they've got to take responsibility."

“Start Quote

We are just very lucky to have fantastic armed services who can come when we need them and they will do a brilliant job”
End Quote Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt
She said serviceman and woman drafted in should each be given a £500 bonus.

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show the government had "of course, been monitoring the situation with G4S and their management told us right up until last week that everything was on track".

"But we've had that contingency plan for many months and we are just very lucky to have fantastic armed services who can come when we need them and they will do a brilliant job," he added.

He said G4S had been "honourable" in admitting their mistakes and paying for the extra military personnel.

The security company says it will lose between £30m and £50m on the contract, which is worth a total of about £280m.
Committee questions
Mr Buckles is due to appear before the Home Affairs Select Committee on Tuesday to answers MPs' questions.

Its chairman, Keith Vaz MP, told BBC One's Breakfast he would be asking how the shortage of staff had only been recognised at such a late stage as well as questions about whether all G4S staff were prepared.

"Since this matter arose last Thursday, I have had many emails and texts from people who have been contacted by G4S when they had applied for a job with them six months ago," he said.

"They were contacted a couple of days ago to ask whether or not they were ready to start in two weeks' time."

G4S said it had "encountered some delays" in progressing applicants through the final stages but was working "flat out" to process them as quickly as possible.

The Commons Public Accounts Committee has also summoned G4S, two government departments and Games organiser Locog to answer questions in September.

Meanwhile, the Olympic Village in Stratford will officially open on Monday with Heathrow Airport saying it will be its busiest day for the arrival of athletes.

The first of the Olympics motorway lanes will also open, close to Heathrow on the M4 eastbound between junctions three and two.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18845678

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 16.07.12 16:33

Day 1...And the fiasco begins

Athletes' buses get lost on way to Olympic Park

The first wave of Olympic athletes and visitors has begun pouring into Britain as officials played down fears that a packed London would buckle under the pressure of its biggest peacetime security and transport operation.

An embarrassing shortage of security guards, fears over airport queues and questions about the capital's creaking transport system have overshadowed preparations for the Games.
And two stories from American and Australian athletes did little to dispel the sense of farce.

US 400m hurdler Kerron Clement, twice a world champion, claimed he spent four hours on a bus after the driver got lost on the way to the London 2012 Olympic village.
Games organisers are expecting a busy day with hundreds of athletes checking in but it's not all been smooth running according to Clement - who takes on Dai Greene, Great Britain's current world champion, in the 400m hurdles next month.

"Um, so we've been lost on the road for 4hrs. Not a good first impression London," he tweeted.

"Athletes are sleepy, hungry and need to pee. Could we get to the Olympic Village please?"

The American track and field squad will spend the next three weeks at their training base in Birmingham but needed to travel to the Olympic park to pick-up their all-important accreditation.

A bus of 30 Australian officials and medics, meanwhile, took the scenic route through London when their bus driver forgot the route and admitted not knowing how to work the on-board GPS system.
"It would have been a great tourist trip if that is what you are here for," said Australian official Damian Kelly.

"He admitted this was the first time he had taken the route and no one had taught him how the navigation system works because it operates off GPS.

"One of the doctors on board got it working for him, but then the Olympic Village hadn't been loaded into the system and everyone was trying to find the name of the street that the village was in. In the end another physio got out his iPhone and gave directors to the bus driver via his phone." big grin

Extra soldiers were drafted in to help police the Games after private security firm G4S said it had run out of time to train all its newly recruited staff. The company's share price fell sharply on Monday. Less than two weeks before the opening ceremony on July 27, Prime Minister David Cameron said the G4S shambles would not compromise Britain's largest peacetime policing exercise.
"We had contingency plans, we are using those contingency plans and we will do whatever it takes to deliver a safe and secure Games," Cameron said. The security fiasco dominated the headlines over the weekend and raised fears that Britain would struggle to cope with the Games.

A cartoon in the Daily Telegraph newspaper showed a red-faced, overweight runner wearing a G4S vest, complaining: "I didn't realise I had to run all the way to the end". big grin

Some 12,500 police will be on Olympics duty each day, backed up by soldiers, fighter jets and missile batteries on the top of apartment blocks near the Olympics site in east London.
Security chiefs said they had prepared for threats on the scale of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Four British Islamist suicide bombers killed 52 people on three trains and a bus in London on the day after the city was awarded the Games in July 2005.

Heathrow Airport was ready for its busiest day on record, while the Olympic village opened its doors to the first athletes. The first arrivals at an airport notorious for queues at security checks and passport control said everything had gone smoothly.
"I was expecting a three-hour queue like everyone said. It took not even five minutes. It was flawless - good job London," said John Retsios, 36, who had flown from New York with the US Modern Pentathlon team.
Airport operator BAA Plc, owned by Spain's Ferrovial , said it expected a record 237,000 passengers to use Heathrow on Monday, including 335 athletes. The busiest day for arriving athletes is expected to be July 24.

The first section of road reserved for Olympic athletes and officials began operating on Monday, when one lane of the motorway linking Heathrow with the western edge of the capital was closed to all non-Olympic traffic. It will form part of a 30 mile network of road lanes designed to whisk 82,000 athletes and officials through London's notoriously congested streets. Critics have nicknamed them "Zil lanes" after the roads reserved for the limousines of senior officials in the old Soviet Union.

London mayor Boris Johnson said the city was ready for the Games, the transport system would cope and visitors would be safe. thinking

"When the opening ceremony begins, then a lot of these issues that we are currently discussing will melt away," Johnson told BBC television.
"There is a bit of 'pre-curtain up' jitters and casting around for things to talk about."

In a separate incident, the Australian sailors were made to wait for over an hour after the baggage handlers lost their sails.

Elise Rechichi tweeted: "Uh-oh! Bagged [sic] handlers lost our 3 sets of Olympic sails! Got sent to cargo apparently.... Wouldn't mind them back please :)"

--------

"Just make it an event, medals for first three teams to the village !"

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 16.07.12 17:10

Which lane conundrum?
On Southampton Row (Central London) there is a bus lane and an Olympic Lane and you're not supposed to drive in either of them. £130 fine. So where are you supposed to go from here?

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.07.12 21:04

Oh Gawd, here's another Olympic disaster.........

19 July 2012 Last updated at 18:48

Home Office staff to strike on eve of Games

Mark Serwotka: "One day's disruption is better than a year of inadequate services"

Related Stories

Thousands of Home Office staff will strike the day before the Olympics open, the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union has said.

PCS members will strike for 24 hours next Thursday - when many thousands of visitors are due to arrive in the UK.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the action was "shameful" as it threatens disruption to people travelling to London for the Games.

Immigration minister Damian Green said contingency plans were in place.

East Midlands Trains staff have also voted to strike during the Olympics.

PCS union members will take other forms of action from July 27 to August 20, including working-to-rule and an overtime ban.

The PCS said 57.2% of those who voted backed strike action - the turnout was 20%.

The action will involve staff across the Home Office, including the UK Border Agency, the Identity and Passport Service and Criminal Records Bureau.

'Breaking point'

PCS general secretary Mark Serwotka told the BBC: "I think the government is whipping up hysteria about the Olympics, there'll be no disruption to the Olympics, this is a 24-hour strike before the Olympics actually takes place."

He said he was prepared to meet the culture secretary and home secretary any time in the next week to avert a strike but if they kept their "heads in the sand" the strike would continue.

“Start Quote

People should not be disrupting the Olympic Games”
End Quote Ed Miliband Labour leader
Mr Hunt said the union's behaviour was "totally irresponsible... To threaten us in this way is totally inappropriate.

"To suggest that it won't cause disruption is so extraordinary that it completely beggars belief."

London Mayor Boris Johnson has said he does not think the union will succeed in disrupting the Olympics and the majority of PCS members want to put on a great Games.

In other developments as the UK prepares for the start of the Olympics on Friday 27 July:

Immigration minister Mr Green said: "If this strike goes ahead it will be a selfish and irresponsible act by the union leadership, they have got no authority for this, only about a fifth of the membership voted in the ballot, and of that small minority only just over half want to go on strike."

May: "strike action backed by only one in ten PCS members"

Mr Green said he was confident disruption at immigration desks could be minimised because extra staff from the Home Office and other departments had been trained to provide cover.

Mrs May condemned the action saying: "I think that is shameful, frankly. They are holding a strike on what is one of the key days for people coming in for the Olympic Games.

"We will of course put contingency arrangements in place to ensure we can deal with people coming through the border as smoothly as possible."

John Cridland, director general of the Confederation of British Industries, said: "For PCS to go on strike on this key day beggars belief. For it to happen because of a vote by 11% of staff is simply outrageous."

But Labour MP John McDonnell, who chairs the PCS Parliamentary Group, said: "the government has brought this dispute on its own head".

More troops have been put on standby for possible security duties
East Midlands Trains drivers from the union Aslef plan to strike on 6-8 August in a row over pensions. But South West Trains staff have voted not to strike over the Olympics.

Prime Minister David Cameron insisted the Olympics would be safe and secure.

Speaking at a press conference in Afghanistan, he said: "I do not believe it will be right, I do not believe it will be justified."

Labour leader Ed Miliband also condemned the strike.

The PCS is in dispute with the Home Office on plans to cut 8,500 jobs and the threat of compulsory redundancies in the passport office in Newport, South Wales.

Extra staff hired

There are also disagreements over pay rises capped at 1% following a two-year wage freeze, privatisation of services, and alleged victimisation of union reps.

This week the National Audit Office said the UK Border Agency had laid off 1,000 more staff than intended and was having to hire extra people and increase overtime to meet its workload.

The PCS is one of the largest unions in the UK with around 250,000 public sector members.

PCS members at the Department for Transport have been taking industrial action over the past few weeks, while staff in other departments, including the ministries of defence and justice, are set to vote shortly on how to campaign against cuts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18912742#

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum