The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

OLYMPIC Disatsers

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 03.06.12 8:03

Almost every day we hear of the Olympic Games suffering another fiasco.
So I thought we could make a list
1 Monumental overspend
2 Ring of Steel round the venue will force many small businesses into bankruptcy (Source Parlt. Committee last week - Chair of Retail Trades Assoc.)
3 Ring of Steel will force night time deliveries.
4 VISA removing ATMs to restrict cash withdrawals to their own brand
5 Ticketing arrangements !!!
6 Thomas Cook holding 300,000 tickets which they now cannot sell
7 LSO told they are going to have to mime during the opening ceremony !
8 Tube drivers threatening to strike unless they get huge bonus
9 Civil Servants told they can "Work from home"
10 SBS have checked and sealed the entire rowing course at Dorney, learning how to shoot down microlight without killing pilot, coaches not allowed on the towpath, Eton told to remove all their boats to storage elsewhere at short notice - ( Cost £ 120,000 - not recoverable )
11 Not permitted to take picnic into venues, but have to buy "official" water at £4 a bottle.

and so on. There must be thousands of other examples of what may be ineptitude during the planning process.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by tigger on 03.06.12 9:49

The flame of the Olympic torch - instead of burning non stop - apparently has to be relit from a 'mother flame' in the back of a van. The torch seems to have an unfortunate habit of going out. The design of the thing has been described as 'neo-aztec' . How much did that alone cost?

The logo is copyrighted and may not be shown on TV except if paid for - otherwise it is pixellated - which imo is preferable.

I don't know why they can't scrap the whole circus - it's so fake and one big commercial enterprise - it's made Stratford E.London far more accessible - except it's Stratford.
How can professional tennis players and football players, millionaires to a man, be in line to get an olympic title as well?

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 03.06.12 10:15

And there isn't ONE Olympic torch, there are about 800, which you can buy for very little and sell on Ebay for thousands.
And foreign professional sportsmen are included in the list of carriers
The Olympic rings have also been 'copyrighted'.
Only Coca Cola may be sold

BTW I have just realised that I mis-spelled the heading. Appropriate really !

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by aquila on 03.06.12 12:13

@PeterMac wrote:And there isn't ONE Olympic torch, there are about 800, which you can buy for very little and sell on Ebay for thousands.
And foreign professional sportsmen are included in the list of carriers
The Olympic rings have also been 'copyrighted'.
Only Coca Cola may be sold

BTW I have just realised that I mis-spelled the heading. Appropriate really !

I lived in Greece during the Greek Olympics. The Greeks called it the 'Coca Cola Games sponsored by Samsung'

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 03.06.12 13:19

Just remembered another spin-off.
Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled for this year, because the Olympics have taken all the Portaloos.
Strange, but true !

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by russiandoll on 03.06.12 14:37

enough already, between this and the jubilee I feel like leaving the country.
No offence to our queen, she did not ask to be born a royal and I admire her sense of duty, but I do not believe in monarchy or deference. And it does my head in to see Princess Anne and other members of the family wearing up to a dozen medals......why is she dressed in navy attire?
rant over.

____________________



             The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy


russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Spaniel on 03.06.12 14:48

@russiandoll wrote: enough already, between this and the jubilee I feel like leaving the country.
No offence to our queen, she did not ask to be born a royal and I admire her sense of duty, but I do not believe in monarchy or deference. And it does my head in to see Princess Anne and other members of the family wearing up to a dozen medals......why is she dressed in navy attire?
rant over.
Who? What programme are you watching? Princess Anne isn't even there! She is away, Eire I believe, trying to qualify for the GB Olympic team. Bonkers!!

Spaniel

Posts : 743
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Guest on 03.06.12 14:59

@Spaniel wrote:
@russiandoll wrote: enough already, between this and the jubilee I feel like leaving the country.
No offence to our queen, she did not ask to be born a royal and I admire her sense of duty, but I do not believe in monarchy or deference. And it does my head in to see Princess Anne and other members of the family wearing up to a dozen medals......why is she dressed in navy attire?
rant over.
Who? What programme are you watching? Princess Anne isn't even there! She is away, Eire I believe, trying to qualify for the GB Olympic team. Bonkers!!

She is there, wearing uniform, I have just seen her.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 03.06.12 15:18

Anne is there in the Trinity House barge in front of the Royal Barge.
Her daughter Zara is trying to win selection for the GB eventing team, which Anne herself did all those years ago.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Guest on 03.06.12 15:27

@PeterMac wrote:Anne is there in the Trinity House barge in front of the Royal Barge.
Her daughter Zara is trying to win selection for the GB eventing team, which Anne herself did all those years ago.

Yes, Princess Anne is Master of Trinity House, she replaced her father Prince Phillip last year. Just been hearing on Sky news that by right the Trinity house barge always proceeds the Royal boat, and is therefore in front of the Queen's barge.

ETA Sky also saying Royals split on different boats, for security reasons, although main ones together with Queen.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Spaniel on 03.06.12 15:40

SORRY, sorry, sorry. I am at present in my Arab position begging forgiveness and asking for help from the local WI as I don't know any Masons. Sorry Russian Doll. My sincere apologies, it's me that is bonkers, not you.

Spaniel

Posts : 743
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by russiandoll on 03.06.12 16:11

One is forgiven.
Seriously, you must be having a bad day...Anne at her age is hardly going to try and qualify for the Olympics.
Apologies if I have upset any royalists here, am a republican.
off topic for last time...it is strange if they are split for security reasons that the Queen and the next in line are all on the same boat.
And one cannot comment it seems on how thin Kate is looking, a commentator the other day on tv got a dirty look for saying so, during a discussion on body image. It is the truth, she is very underweight and I hope sincerely the stress of her role is nothing to do with it. She is a lot thinner than in her university days.
enjoy the celebrations those of you who support the monarchy.

____________________



             The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy


russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by friedtomatoes on 03.06.12 20:26

@PeterMac wrote:

11 Not permitted to take picnic into venues, but have to buy "official" water at £4 a bottle.

.

£4 a bottle? Disgraceful.

I enjoyed watching the events today, its part and parcel of this country, though didnt enjoy some of the sycophantic ott reporters, you can like the queen and some of her family but not like the idea of monarchy. I mean what does royal mean? rhetorical question really.

Not sure what that gary barlow piece tonight was about. Sometimes I wish they would leave the queen alone, she is 86 or so, she has done her bit, and probably doesnt need people to promote themselves using her, pffft

friedtomatoes

Posts : 591
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by littlepixie on 15.06.12 21:33

O/T But regarding the Queens Barge thing. The camera panned to The Duke Of Yorks' daughter (dont know which one it was) She was standing on a boat taking pictures of herself with her mobile phone. Standing in front of her was one of those servants dressed in red. To take a better picture of herself she steadied her camera phone by balancing her phone hand on his shoulder. She didnt ask him if it was okay to use him as a prop, she just did it. Didnt even treat him like a human.
Not nice.

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by tigger on 16.06.12 6:34

@littlepixie wrote:O/T But regarding the Queens Barge thing. The camera panned to The Duke Of Yorks' daughter (dont know which one it was) She was standing on a boat taking pictures of herself with her mobile phone. Standing in front of her was one of those servants dressed in red. To take a better picture of herself she steadied her camera phone by balancing her phone hand on his shoulder. She didnt ask him if it was okay to use him as a prop, she just did it. Didnt even treat him like a human.
Not nice.

Like mother, like daughter, I'd think. I could never be a republican because I think that would be far worse, can you imagine President Blair and his First Lady? Which is what she called herself right from the start.
They'd have hundreds of hangers on, manage to stay in power by hook or by crook and make themselves rich on the backs of the population. Wait, didn't even need to be president to do that.
Terrible thought, does Blair want to come back to politics because his next messianic task is now to liberate Iran?

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 17.06.12 7:46

Olympic Committee now looking into allegations into "Widespread corruption" in 54 Countries over the selling of tickets on the Black Market.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by tigger on 17.06.12 8:26

@PeterMac wrote:Olympic Committee now looking into allegations into "Widespread corruption" in 54 Countries over the selling of tickets on the Black Market.

Olympic committee should first look at their own organisation for corruption. As should this International Football outfit. Tickets sales are a minor problem.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More disasters and incompetence.

Post by PeterMac on 12.07.12 7:17

In the last couple of days -
• No one is allowed to sell chips, except McDonalds, unless they include fish. I am not making this up !!!
• British army is having to devote another 3.5 thousand troops because the contracting company has not got enough people for security and ticket checks. So there will be more troops on duty at the Olympics than in Afghanistan. I am not making this up !!!
• MPs are getting free tickets, worth £420 - how did we know ?
• It is going to rain heavily for the first three days - how did we know ?

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Angelique on 12.07.12 8:41

@russiandoll wrote: One is forgiven.
Seriously, you must be having a bad day...Anne at her age is hardly going to try and qualify for the Olympics.
Apologies if I have upset any royalists here, am a republican.
off topic for last time...it is strange if they are split for security reasons that the Queen and the next in line are all on the same boat.
And one cannot comment it seems on how thin Kate is looking, a commentator the other day on tv got a dirty look for saying so, during a discussion on body image. It is the truth, she is very underweight and I hope sincerely the stress of her role is nothing to do with it. She is a lot thinner than in her university days.
enjoy the celebrations those of you who support the monarchy.

russiandoll

Is Kate thinner!

Have to admit I feel the same way as you monarchy- wise - don't take an interest.

If Kate M is looking thinner she may be pregnant!

____________________
Things aren't always what they seem

Angelique

Posts : 1396
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2010-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Ollie on 12.07.12 17:27

Road lanes closed in London, only for dignitaries and Olympic officials to use. Are they paying road tax or another charge (similar to the congestion charge) as they will have lanes to themselves, while motorists who do pay road tax will no doubt spend even longer in traffic jams.

Ollie

Posts : 262
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by PeterMac on 12.07.12 18:09

Will the M4 be open ?

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Ollie on 12.07.12 18:18

@PeterMac wrote:Will the M4 be open ?



The M4 fiasco has just been on the news. Someone from the Highways Agency said regarding the repairs and reopening that "we hope that it will go well, it should go well", which means it won't "go well".



There is also Border Controls at Heathrow, will probably be another fiasco to add to your list Petermac.

Ollie

Posts : 262
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by jd on 12.07.12 18:38

@PeterMac wrote:Will the M4 be open ?

They said next Monday morning. Expect September at the earliest!

jd

Posts : 4152
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2011-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by tigger on 12.07.12 19:08

@jd wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Will the M4 be open ?

They said next Monday morning. Expect September at the earliest!

You're enjoying this aren't you PeterMac winkwink winkwink safe and far away on your hacienda..

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLYMPIC Disatsers

Post by Ollie on 12.07.12 20:47

@jd wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Will the M4 be open ?

They said next Monday morning. Expect September at the earliest!



Monday morning! typical British...ever the optimist!!!

Ollie

Posts : 262
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum