The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Penatly shoot-outs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Penatly shoot-outs

Post by Guest on 25.05.12 14:20

Does anyone like the idea of these? I have always thought it very unfair, and rather a silly way to decide a winner. Exciting it may be, but after 90 mins of play, and then a further 30 mins of extra time, is it really right to decide a winner in this way. Anyway Sepp Blatter is asking for an alternative for the 2014 World Cup. Is there another way? Anyone any thoughts.

Sepp Blatter wants penalty shoot-out alternative

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs.

Beckenbauer is head of the Football Task Force 2014, a group designed to recommend rule changes.

"Football can be a tragedy when you go to penalty kicks," Blatter said.

"Football should not go to one to one. When it goes to penalty kicks football loses its essence."

He added: "Perhaps Franz Beckenbauer with his football 2014 group can show us a solution, perhaps not today but in the future."

The Champions League final was decided on penalties this season , with Chelsea winning after Bayern Munich dominated the game. It was the 10th time that the European Cup final has gone to a shoot-out.

What was there before penalty shoot-outs?

Before shoot-outs were introduced in 1970, drawn games went to either a replay, lots were drawn or they were decided by a coin toss - in the 1968 European Championship semi-final, Italy beat Soviet Union on a coin toss

Zambia also won a major cup in a penalty shoot-out this season, beating Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations .

The World Cup final has twice been decided on penalties, with Brazil beating Italy in 1994 and Italy seeing off France in 2006.

Blatter referred to the "tragedy" of shoot-outs after Italy's win, although four years later he suggested having all draws in World Cup group games ending with penalties.

The Swiss was speaking to delegates at the Fifa congress on Friday.

Fifa has revealed the decision on the introduction of goal-line technology will take place in Zurich on 5 July rather than in Kiev three days earlier, the day after the Euro 2012 final.

Hawk-Eye, a camera-based system, will be used by independent testers during England's friendly against Belgium on 2 June, although match officials will have no access to data and the trial will have no impact on any contentious goal-line decisions.

Theo Zwanziger, who is in charge of revising Fifa's statues, says that the rule which guarantees the four UK football associations their own Fifa vice-president is outdated. A ruling will be made on it at next year's congress.

"Football has moved on and it is our duty and obligation to decide if the privileges are still justified in our time and age," the German said.

Zwanziger also believes the composition of the International FA Board should be changed. Currently, the UK associations have one vote each and Fifa have four.

Fifa will allocate £48m for insuring players on international duty. The insurance will cover a player's salary from the second to 12th month up to a maximum of £6.2m.

Mark Pieth, chairman of Fifa's independent governance committee, wants to see a number of changes including limited terms of office and age limits on Fifa members and has recommended Fifa set up a public hotline to report corruption allegations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Back to top Go down

Re: Penatly shoot-outs

Post by PeterMac on 25.05.12 16:34

Keep playing until someone scores, however long it takes.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 25.05.12 16:43

@PeterMac wrote:Keep playing until someone scores, however long it takes.

Lynn Truss (Eats, shoots and leaves) would agree with you.

They don't toss coins at Wimbledon do they?

We're a little put out here, because Fanny Blankers-Koen isn't on the roll of honour of the Olympics - a real amateur - the flying housewife - 4 x gold in 1948.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 25.05.12 16:56

them thar days of sport have gone. It's all about money and television companies ooh who want...money...and who manufacture gadgets to keep kids on their backsides and let them trawl the internet, get fat, ask their parents for money to finance the never-ending top-ups to sit on their backsides and let me see....not partake in sport.

PeterMac, ask your brother what he thinks of sport in UK nowadays. There is no sport in schools anymore. We have a culture of 'don't upset those who can't achieve'...aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhh

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.05.12 17:32

He is actually Director of Rowing (part time - unpaid ) at one of England's decent schools, where they play rugby, cricket, athletics, rowing, and tennis amongst other sorts.
HIs sons both got University colours for rowing and now do triathlon and marathons, whilst holding down full time jobs in the City. We didn't have TV, you see !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 25.05.12 17:49

They don't toss coins at Wimbledon do they?

No they don't, but unless it's the final set, they go to a tie-break. However, I think that is different from a penalty shoot out, because they still play the same way, it's just the scoring which changes.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 25.05.12 18:02

@PeterMac wrote:He is actually Director of Rowing (part time - unpaid ) at one of England's decent schools, where they play rugby, cricket, athletics, rowing, and tennis amongst other sorts.
HIs sons both got University colours for rowing and now do triathlon and marathons, whilst holding down full time jobs in the City. We didn't have TV, you see !

Fantastic.

I really mean that.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.12 19:08

Yep I agree, that would really sort out the men from the boys.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.05.12 19:24

There's a brilliant one on Sport uk msn
Precis
Carry on playing normally, but
You take off one player from each side every 5 minutes
Captain or manager to choose.
As they said, you might end up with two red-faced multimillionaires running round and round the centre spot, but it would be good fun.
It would also demonstrate by the choice and the order in which the players were pulled off the field, the esteem in which the captain or manager really held them.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 25.05.12 20:23

Clearly going out on my own here, but I like the drama of penalty shoot outs. Of course it would be nice if England were a little better at them, but they are a good way to decide a match. FIFA have messed around with golden goals etc but there is nothing quite like the nail biting finish of penalties.

I can think of a number of more important things FIFA could do with changing before bothering with penalties. Goal line technology and the current ridiculous off side rule. The sooner Blatter is evicted from his position the better. You don't have to put up with presidents and prime ministers for this long, no reason why we should have to suffer with Blatter.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 25.05.12 20:33

My eldest grandson had to do the penalty shootout aged 10 in a very big final of the under 11s. He failed and he was distraught for days. He is now 30 and still talks of the feelings of shame and embarrassment .
I like the idea of the game just continuing with a player being removed from each side every 5 minutes.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.12 20:44

@Nina wrote:My eldest grandson had to do the penalty shootout aged 10 in a very big final of the under 11s. He failed and he was distraught for days. He is now 30 and still talks of the feelings of shame and embarrassment .
I like the idea of the game just continuing with a player being removed from each side every 5 minutes.

You make a very good point Nina. Football is a team game. Putting the onus on one player to score a penalty puts him under tremendous pressure, and if he misses he has to live with it, and the whole country blaming him for years to come. We've seen it happen so many times.

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 25.05.12 21:00

I like the golden goal with no offside rule. This will have goal hangers but then this will create lots of space in the middle for players to run through and create. Defenders will get really tired as they can't push up and stop play with offside, so plenty mistakes will be made too

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum