The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Jon Venables back in prison

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jon Venables back in prison

Post by twinkle on 02.03.10 22:36

One of the killers of James Bulger is tonight back behind bars after breaching the terms of his licence, the government has confirmed.

Jon Venables is now aged 27, and has been given a new identity since his release for prison for his part in the 1993 murder which caused horror in Britain due to the savagery of the crime and the age of the perpetrators.

Venables and Robert Thompson, both aged 10, abducted and murdered James, aged 3, in February 1993. He was taken from a shopping centre and found on a railway line.

Venables and Thompson were released from custody in 2001 having been the youngest people in the UK to be charged with murder in the twentieth century.

They were convicted following a trial at Preston Crown Court and ordered to be detained at Her Majesty's pleasure, the normal substitute sentence for life imprisonment when the offender is a juvenile.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson refused to give any details of the breach of licence, and said: "We can confirm that Jon Venables has been recalled to custody following a breach of licence conditions.

"Offenders on licence are subject to strict conditions; if they breach those conditions they are subject to immediate recall.

"There is a worldwide injunction in place that prohibits any reporting including reporting on the internet, that could identify Jon Venables or his location."

twinkle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon Venables back in prison

Post by twinkle on 02.03.10 22:41

I am more interested in how the press know considering his identity is protected, maybe it is because he has been identified that this has happened?

twinkle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whoknowsthetruth on 02.03.10 22:53

Newspapers always know. I ti s just they are prevented by law to naming him.

whoknowsthetruth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TickleMePlums/muratfan on 03.03.10 9:25

i think he must have done something pretty serious to be re-called. they wouldn't risk all the money invested in the new identity and everything unless they were pretty worried.

TickleMePlums/muratfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 03.03.10 10:20

He didn't have the best start so in a sad way this was perhaps inevitable. It won't be easy for James's mum to read this either Sad

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal on 03.03.10 13:22

he didn't have the best start?? Sorry?

Pascal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 13:40

@Pascal wrote:he didn't have the best start?? Sorry?

His upbringing. He didn't.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal on 03.03.10 13:44

the point being?

Pascal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 13:46

I don't know. It wasn't my post.

Maybe it refers to recidivist behaviour caused partly by his upbringing.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 03.03.10 13:47

@Pascal wrote:the point being?

The point being that it's very hard to rehabilitate someone who has had such a poor start in life to become a productive thriving member of society, so sadly, statistically there was a high chance of him reoffending/breaching his license agreement.

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmbd on 03.03.10 13:49

Noun 1. recidivist - someone who is repeatedly arrested for criminal behavior (especially for the same criminal behavior)

jmbd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal on 03.03.10 14:01

@hedge wrote:

The point being that it's very hard to rehabilitate someone who has had such a poor start in life to become a productive thriving member of society, so sadly, statistically there was a high chance of him reoffending/breaching his license agreement.

Which is why he should have been locked up for life. The crime he committed was clearly indicative that he was seriously disturbed. How on earth is it possible to rehabilitate someone capable of such base cruelty? No matter what his age? or 'start in life'?

His 'start in life' may well have contributed. Though thousands of kids have horrendous childhoods, they don't turn into monsters.

Pascal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:02

@jmbd wrote:Noun 1. recidivist - someone who is repeatedly arrested for criminal behavior (especially for the same criminal behavior)

repeated.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:03

@Pascal wrote:
@hedge wrote:

Which is why he should have been locked up for life. The crime he committed was clearly indicative that he was seriously disturbed. How on earth is it possible to rehabilitate someone capable of such base cruelty? No matter what his age? or 'start in life'?

His 'start in life' may well have contributed. Though thousands of kids have horrendous childhoods, they don't turn into monsters.

I don't want to live in a country that locks children up for life.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 03.03.10 14:04

@hedge wrote:He didn't have the best start so in a sad way this was perhaps inevitable. It won't be easy for James's mum to read this either Sad

Plenty of kids have had bad upbringings but they don't go on to torture and kill a toddler. Incidentally, Jamies's mum has not been told of the reason for Venable's return to prison - why not? Before you start shedding tears for Venebles, don't forget he has spent years in a rehabitation unit with professionals who have presumbably devoted much time in preparing him for his return to society.

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:04

Plus we don't know he committed a second crime do we? He may have just not kept the authorities updated on his whereabouts or similar and that breaks the terms of his licence.

At the moment he has broken the terms, not committed a crime.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:05

@Autumn wrote:
@hedge wrote:He didn't have the best start so in a sad way this was perhaps inevitable. It won't be easy for James's mum to read this either Sad

Plenty of kids have bad upbringings but they don't go on to torture and kill a toddler. Incidentally, Jamis's mum has not been told of the reason for Venable's return to prison - why not? Before you start shedding tears for Venebles, don't forget he has spent years in a rehabitation unit with professionals who have presumbably devoted much time in preparing him for his return to society.

Why would James's mother be notified of the details of a break his licence?

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal on 03.03.10 14:06

I don't want to live in a country where children kidnap and sexually abuse infants then snuff out his little life. There has to be lines drawn somewhere Vaguely. This was no ordinary crime.

Pascal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:07

@Pascal wrote:I don't want to live in a country where children kidnap and sexually abuse infants then snuff out his little life. There has to be lines drawn somewhere Vaguely. This was no ordinary crime.

The line is drawn by better people than me Pascal.

I trust them to draw that line exactly where they see fit.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 03.03.10 14:08

@vaguely1 wrote:
@Autumn wrote:

Plenty of kids have bad upbringings but they don't go on to torture and kill a toddler. Incidentally, Jamis's mum has not been told of the reason for Venable's return to prison - why not? Before you start shedding tears for Venebles, don't forget he has spent years in a rehabitation unit with professionals who have presumbably devoted much time in preparing him for his return to society.

Seems strange you should feel James's mum should be denied this information given that you support the McCanns having access to highly confidential information, namely the sex offendors' list.

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:10

I don't think you read my post, which was a question.

Why would James's mother be notified of the details of a break in his licence.

It seemed a pretty non-partisan question to me Autumn.

Also I don't remember saying that anybody should have access to the sex offenders register, but I do remember asking if someone was in the same boat as them whether they would want it.

ETA, Well done for bringing the McCanns in to it though.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 03.03.10 14:11

@Pascal wrote:
@hedge wrote:

He was 10 and he had a horrible start in life, it is possible to rehabiliate people like this and as a society we should try and undo the damge inflicted on him unforgiveably at such a young age he had already been let down enough, no need to keep doing it.

Using your argument there is no need to treat kids like human beings and with respect because apparently if they are treated like shit they might turn out okay. That's not how our society does or should work.

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pascal on 03.03.10 14:12

@vaguely1 wrote:
@Pascal wrote:I don't want to live in a country where children kidnap and sexually abuse infants then snuff out his little life. There has to be lines drawn somewhere Vaguely. This was no ordinary crime.

You do? Even now? My goodness you do surprise me.

Answer me then;

If Venables, after his 'rehabilitation' came to live in your street, how would you feel? Would you let your children go anywhere near him?

Pascal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 03.03.10 14:17

@Pascal wrote:
@vaguely1 wrote:

You do? Even now? My goodness you do surprise me.

Answer me then;

If Venables, after his 'rehabilitation' came to live in your street, how would you feel? Would you let your children go anywhere near him?

We all live near people who have committed crimes against other people. Why would I be sending my small children out to play with any grown man who lives down my street, let alone one with previous convictions for murder?

We're surrounded by people who have done bad things - we can't keep them all locked up for life.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 03.03.10 14:18

@Autumn wrote:
@vaguely1 wrote:
@Autumn wrote:

Seems strange you should feel James's mum should be denied this information given that you support the McCanns having access to highly confidential information, namely the sex offendors' list.

Sadly James's mum knows exactly where her little boy is and his murderers have received their punishments, they are in the justice system now, her family has received all the justice it's going to get, as unpalatable as that may be for them Sad

Madeleine's family are still looking for their little girl and they still have hope she may yet be found, they are also a million miles away from receiving justice for their family.

I'm not sure how they can compared except in terms of horror and grief.

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum