The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

Regards,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Is it right that Sky news can hack emails? They seem to think so.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it right that Sky news can hack emails? They seem to think so.

Post by Guest on 05.04.12 20:28

Putting this here in the debate section as it may be on interest. What are your thoughts on the article in the link below. Is it ok to hack someones email if it is in the public interest? I found the article to be arrogant trying to justify Sky's decision. Imo if they had some sort of information, then they should have told the police, and it would have been their job to obtain these emails. Below is a rather good reply to the article .........

A Case Of Double Standards?

http://blogs.news.sky.com/editorsblog/Post:12494136-c08d-4d20-9dbc-8fd5b2d07259

Posted by: CxxxxSxxxxxx on April 5, 2012 7:58 PM

What you did is ILLEGAL, regardless of the 'spin' you put on it. The UK was the world leader with news, respected and trusted worldwide. Now the UK news is laughable worldwide. Try justify your illegal actions all you wish, it wont work. There is NO JUSTIFICATION for your actions.

Pointing out 'others' actions to distract from your own is a fail on your part. Claiming your illegal actions were already transparent is an EPIC FAIL. Sky New is now not trustworthy or respected, that is the consequence of YOUR actions. The press in general should be ashamed of what you have all done for your own gains - profit

The press was never like this before I left the UK. It really is UGLY.

You John Riley, come across as a smug fool of the worst kind. Getting results from illegal actions is against the LAW period. Saying the Police knew about your actions, does not excuse them either. Resign immediately.

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it right that Sky news can hack emails? They seem to think so.

Post by Guest on 05.04.12 20:33

And another reply...

Posted by: cxxxxxx on April 5, 2012 7:08 PM

The trouble with journalists and media outfits of all political persuasions is that they are like actors. They are all pretentious egomaniacs. They honestly think they are something special, and that extra allowances should be made for their wishes. The reality is that both journalists and actors are some of the least important, least productive people in existence.

YOU DO NOT GET TO DECIDE IF THERE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO OBTAIN ILLEGAL ENTRY TO SOMEONES EMAIL. Even the police are not allowed to do that! The police have to go to court for permission. You know why they sometimes dont get permission? NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE! Innocent until proven guilty! YOU DO NOT GET TO READ SOMEONES PRIVATE EMAILS BASED ON A HUNCH! That goes for the BBC and those hypocrites at the Guardian too!

Why didnt you take your SUSPICIONS to the police? Let me guess: Not enough evidence for them. The police wouldnt be allowed. Who the hell are you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.04.12 20:40

Sky seem to have got people rather annoyed.........

Posted by: flxxxx on April 5, 2012 5:56 PM

a clear illegal act by sky news - there is no public interest defense in law. Their antics may have compromised the darwin conviction.

The cops have to get a warrant to tap your phones or see your emails. Sky is not above the law, and those involved should be arrested. They can try their public interest defence at their trial.

The above statement is "well it must be alright, everyone else was doing it" - that is a schoolyard agruement and no defence in law.

Come on CPS, they have admitted it, charge them with hacking

Posted by: pxxxx on April 5, 2012 5:16 PM

Well that's fine as far as it goes.

But the above is an article not news reporting. I saw no sign of a proper news report on this story on either your news channel or website. Why not?

As Sky is an impartial news outlet I expect this matter to be reported as news not merely defended in a blog

Posted by: Cxxxx on April 5, 2012 5:20 PM

Hacking emails has to be wrong, just like it's not ok to break into somebody's home to read their private letters.

What a shame the journalist in question doesn't put his energy into investigating and exposing the serious financial criminals from the City. Easier to pick on John & Anne Darwin I suppose. John Ryley seems very proud that Anne Darwin got 6.5 years and had to pay the money back too.
Thieving bank fraudsters get away with destroying people's lives, savings and pension schemes, all they get are more bonuses. Corrupt media, corrupt financial and justice systems swimming in hypocrisy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.04.12 20:49

Posted by: cxxxxxxx on April 5, 2012 3:59 PM

Are we now supposed to believe and accept that this is the only incidence of hacking by Sky News reporters?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.04.12 20:55

From the BBC.......

Analysis Torin Douglas Media Correspondent

Just days after James Murdoch resigned as chairman of BSkyB, and with Ofcom reviewing whether Sky's a 'fit and proper' owner of a broadcasting licence, this story is embarrassing for the company.

Intercepting emails is illegal under the Computer Misuse Act, and there is no public interest defence. But Sky News has strongly defended its action, saying it was editorially justified, and it had never tried to conceal the facts.

In a blog, the head of Sky News, John Ryley, said the Crown Prosecution Service had acknowledged there were occasions when it was justified for a journalist to commit an offence in the public interest.

He said the Daily Telegraph paid for stolen data to expose the MPs' expenses scandal and the Guardian - which first published this latest news - had admitted hacking a phone in pursuit of a story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17628600

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 06.04.12 0:24

They should be prosecuted IMO.

I think that ILLEGAL phone/email hacking is the same crime as stealing a letter from the Royal Mail - but then again, when the governments new 'tapping' laws come into force we will have lost all feeling of privacy, so might as well turn a blind eye.

It was we wot done it - N O W - Sun - Fox - Sky. And that is just Ruperts part in why we are all on the microscope slide (rightly or not). Sorry, forgot Piers!

I guess we live in a new era these days!

It never ceases to amaze me how far technoligy has come since Wilbar and Orvilles recent first powered flight in Dec 1903

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 06.04.12 8:20

Well last night I lost respect for an award-winning broadcaster, Sky News Anna Botting....she had been mentioned on another thread here I think as one of a number of rude and arrogant journalists.
She was doing the usual discussion of the next day's front pages with a woman I regard as a journalistic lightweight, Emma B who is a music broadcaster on radio, or used to be. She zoomed in big time on hacking and began speaking about the canoe man insurance scam....Anna B laughed saying that was us you can name us you know.
However, and I think she must have been told how to handle things, because I have never heard her so unfair, unbalanced or unintelligent.....Anna Botting was like the bloody McCanns, rehearsed script, not to deviate, say it like a mantra..
" but if we had not hacked , the conviction would not have been obtained probably.......the police themselves gave us credit..."
Emma B made the intelligent point about what has happened to investigative journalism, where journalists were applauded for getting to the bottom of some really serious criminal stories.what public interest was served by going after this particular story...,she would in spite of Anna Botting's rude and rather silly stance, not let it go...like a dog with a bone and good on her. While she did not mention Sky's arrogance in not taking their info to the police who then should have decided how to pursue things, and that hacking was not in the spirit of good investigative journalism, Emma B stood her ground and made a very valid point...it was about a good news story not about justice.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 06.04.12 8:47

One of the real problems we all have to face is the question of whether we think MPs should have been allowed to get away with what they did, whether canoe-man should have still been free, whether wikileaks has contributed to more 'openness';
or, disturbingly, whether we all agree that the law, as enforced by Carter-Ruck and Mr Justice Eady, with its injunctions and super-injunctions, secrecy, 30 years rule, 100 year rule, makes for a better society.
If hacking into emails and phone tapping is an offence, why then is not telling the police or the court of something you saw, but were not supposed to have seen; of something you overheard in a pub; something you found, but were not supposed to have found.
Only the technology is different.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 06.04.12 9:00

the police tapping phones and hacking e mails to investigate crime with the motive of justice is one thing and I fully support those methods if they put major criminals behind bars.............imo the motive of journalists is quite another. and there are more serious crimes to be investigated than canoe man..........I am ashamed of what British journalism has become.
Anna Botting was shameful acting like a puppet being controlled from above and made no attempt to address the other journalist's valid points.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 06.04.12 13:42

@russiandoll wrote:the police tapping phones and hacking e mails to investigate crime with the motive of justice is one thing and I fully support those methods if they put major criminals behind bars.............imo the motive of journalists is quite another. and there are more serious crimes to be investigated than canoe man..........I am ashamed of what British journalism has become.
Anna Botting was shameful acting like a puppet being controlled from above and made no attempt to address the other journalist's valid points.

Is that the same Anna Botting who was drilled into the ground by George Galloway?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 06.04.12 13:44

@tigger wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:the police tapping phones and hacking e mails to investigate crime with the motive of justice is one thing and I fully support those methods if they put major criminals behind bars.............imo the motive of journalists is quite another. and there are more serious crimes to be investigated than canoe man..........I am ashamed of what British journalism has become.

Is that the same Anna Botting who was drilled into the ground by George Galloway?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils on 07.04.12 21:48

I'm surprised.
Not surprised at Anna Botting's performance, but that you hadn't seen her "in action" before. I have always found her unbearable. She has an irritating tendency to giggle at what I consider inappropriate moments, make some real "air head" remarks, overtly flirt with her guests and be biased to the extreme. However, there are a number of other (news) presenters I find similarly itchy, so it's not unique to her. She just happens to be my very least favourite.

Lance De Boils

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum