The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Anyone see John Hirst on the One Show?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone see John Hirst on the One Show?

Post by Snowy on 17.02.10 22:15

OK, I admit I have always found his intervention in the Madeleine Mccann case profoundly inappropriate.

But I have no fixed posiiton on the question of prisoner's voting rights, so I tuned in to watch the debate with an open mind.

He infuriated me, sickened me even. Why is he so casually dismissive of the rights of victims and the pain of their families? He came over to me as a cold, heartless individual. The victim gets their say in court, and then it's over with, finished as far as he's concerned. I know he has no remorse for what he did, 'guilt is a middle class thing' I think he said, but to hear him tonight you would think that homicide is just something you do and then move on from, like a house fire or a broken leg.

He has a great big black hole where his heart and his conscience should be.

Snowy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone see John Hirst on the One Show?

Post by Cherry on 17.02.10 22:21

Didnt see this but imo prisoners get too many rights and victims too few (if any!)

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by justagrannynow 1 on 18.02.10 10:46

I saw the interview. IMO the subject of voting rights for prisoners is too complex for a blanket ban or permission. Some prisoners should not even have the right to life whereas others, such as pensioners imprisoned for refusing to pay their rates are fighting for justice and in a different category altogether. At least, I think so, but I did not think John Hirst did the cause for prisoners rights any favours by this interview. To portray the rights of prisoners as more important than the feelings of their victims will probably have put some possible supporters to their cause off.
Given the voting figures of the general population, it would be interesting to know how many prisoners bothered to vote before they were incarcerated.

justagrannynow 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otium on 18.02.10 16:26

@Snowy wrote:OK, I admit I have always found his intervention in the Madeleine Mccann case profoundly inappropriate.

But I have no fixed posiiton on the question of prisoner's voting rights, so I tuned in to watch the debate with an open mind.

He infuriated me, sickened me even. Why is he so casually dismissive of the rights of victims and the pain of their families? He came over to me as a cold, heartless individual. The victim gets their say in court, and then it's over with, finished as far as he's concerned. I know he has no remorse for what he did, 'guilt is a middle class thing' I think he said, but to hear him tonight you would think that homicide is just something you do and then move on from, like a house fire or a broken leg.

I don't think he has any concept of the consequences of his actions or indeed wants to for that matter. His behaviour and thought process leads me to believe that not for one moment has he ever considered how the family of his Landlady feel about her not being here anyone and how many lives in that family changed the day he took an axe to her and extinguished her life.

But as much as I find him unfeeling I am mildly curious that he does seem to have the capacity to love and care for others as he seems to adore his dog Rocky. thinking

Otium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 18.02.10 16:33

'what's it got to do with the victims families' he said.

I think that says it all, he is incapable of understanding his crimes in the context of humanity.

However I do think prisoners should have the right to vote.

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 18.02.10 17:03

@Otium wrote:
@Snowy wrote:OK, I admit I have always found his intervention in the Madeleine Mccann case profoundly inappropriate.

I don't think he has any concept of the consequences of his actions or indeed wants to for that matter. His behaviour and thought process leads me to believe that not for one moment has he ever considered how the family of his Landlady feel about her not being here anyone and how many lives in that family changed the day he took an axe to her and extinguished her life.

But as much as I find him unfeeling I am mildly curious that he does seem to have the capacity to love and care for others as he seems to adore his dog Rocky. thinking

Because dogs generally do what they're told and don't answer back.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kololi on 21.02.10 12:26

Hi
I have learnt that the law has no relationship with the victim and have been reminded of it on here too. Knowing that is the way it is does not stop me feeling that the way it is is actually wrong and needs changing however.

Personally I think that prisoners' give up their rights to a lot of things once they are proven to have committed their crime including their right to vote in an election. No exceptions either, the little old lady not paying her council tax has a lot of avenues open to her to avoid being imprisoned for it so that it is possible that it is a protest non payment rather than not paying because they are unable to.

Take care

Kololi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bellatrix on 21.02.10 19:12

@vaguely1 wrote:
@Otium wrote:

Because dogs generally do what they're told and don't answer back.

HA! You've obviously never met mine then big grin

bellatrix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkle on 23.02.10 20:19

John Hirst has Aspergers, this may be why he seems not to show any feeling or remorse.
People with Aspergers often aren't aware of how their actions could have any effect on other people.

twinkle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 23.02.10 20:29

@twinkle wrote:John Hirst has Aspergers, this may be why he seems not to show any feeling or remorse.
People with Aspergers often aren't aware of how their actions could have any effect on other people.

I would argue that most people with Aspergers understand that if you hit someone on the head with something hard that it'll hurt them.

They may have trouble with gauging social situations and understanding emotions, but on the whole they're pretty good at physics.

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hedge on 23.02.10 20:31

@twinkle wrote:John Hirst has Aspergers, this may be why he seems not to show any feeling or remorse.

Clearly. He didn't realise how walloping a woman on the head with an axe might have an effect on her such as killing her. Essentially that would be why he plead guilty to manslaughter rather than Murder.

Not all that common in aspergers as far as I know but a defence is a defence.

hedge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vaguely1 on 23.02.10 21:01

has the man never stubbed a toe?!?

vaguely1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkle on 23.02.10 21:08

I wasn't refering to the crime he commited, don't recall making a comment on that, just his perceived lack of compassion since he served his sentence.

twinkle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowy on 28.02.10 23:31

Yes twinkle, I do believe that his condition may affect his understanding of other people's emotions, and that he has a total inability to actually grasp the concept of 'compassion'.
It's one of the reasons (although there are others) that I find his involvement in a matter like the Madeleine Mccann case so deeply disturbing. There is no empathy for the child that I have ever witnessed, instead it is all about how he, John Hirst, Jailhouse Lawyer, can crack the case and bring the evil ones to book against the might of the faceless state that he fondly imagines have deliberately let them off the hook.
He sees the entire case throught the prism of his own condiiton and his own warped psyche.

imo, of course

Snowy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum