The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

SMITH SIGHTING BEING MENTIONED AGAIN

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SMITH SIGHTING BEING MENTIONED AGAIN

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Thank you FREDBEAR and welcome2

Wednesday March 14 2012

Local family may be key to new Maddie probe

A POSSIBLE sighting of Madeleine Mccann by a Drogheda family on the night she disappeared could be crucial in a new probe into her disappearence.

Members of the Smith family from Maple Drive revealed to police investigators that they saw a man carrying a young child through the streets of Praia da Luz on the night she went missing, May 3 2007, from her family's apartment on the Algarve.

Their statement is still regarded as being ' totally credible' by sources.

A team of detectives from Porto in Portugal and Scotland Yard are to look over thousands of pages of case files in a bid to unearth new clues, hoping to bring an end to one of the most high profile disappearences in history. Thirty murder squad Britain

officers are now

from on the case, termed Grange.

Reports state that Martin Smith and family members left Kelly's Bar in the resort around 10 p.m. and passed a man walking down the middle of the street, carrying a girl, about 3-4 years old.

It was claimed the child's head was lying against the man's left shoulder and the arms hanging down alongside the body.

Madeleine was almost four when she was reported missing by parents, Gerry and Kate McCann.

At the time the family thought little about it and headed for home the following day but later images from Portugal surrounding the case triggered their memories of the chance meeting.

They travelled to Portugal to give statements on

Operation what they had seen. It was also claimed that the police intended to organise a re-construction of what they saw at the location, in an effort to further jog their memory.

Their evidence has always been regarded as significant, although they couldn't definitively identify the individual concerned.

Detectives have now begun the trawl through the files with the British police visiting Portugal at least four times in the search for new clues.

If new leads can be established, the case can be re-opened, likely to lead to further forensic examination of the Smith's statement.

Madeleine's parents remain convinced their daughter, who would be nine shortly, is still alive and want the case reopened.

- HUBERT MURPHY

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/local-family-may-be-key-to-new-maddie-probe-3049694.html

Strange that doesn't read properly, not my mistakes, it is at it appears in the article

Back to top Go down

Post by FREDBEAR on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm

You're welcome

Interesting though with it being announced now............... Sorry, but I have been haunting this forum for a while and am amazed at the dedication and research done by you guys, so apologies for my very small input!

FREDBEAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by annabel on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 pm

annabel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FREDBEAR on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Annabel

But now with their actual NAMES and on the oringal report you mentioned "The Portuguese police have asked the family not to speak to the press in case they compromise their investigations."

So why now can they be named........

The other bit that I can't understand is that if Gerry was at the table when Kate came back - then how was he seen by the Smiths at "around the same time", or have the Smiths got their timings wrong?

FREDBEAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:08 pm

candyfloss wrote:Thank you FREDBEAR and welcome2

Wednesday March 14 2012

Local family may be key to new Maddie probe

A POSSIBLE sighting of Madeleine Mccann by a Drogheda family on the night she disappeared could be crucial in a new probe into her disappearence.

Members of the Smith family from Maple Drive revealed to police investigators that they saw a man carrying a young child through the streets of Praia da Luz on the night she went missing, May 3 2007, from her family's apartment on the Algarve.

Their statement is still regarded as being ' totally credible' by sources.

A team of detectives from Porto in Portugal and Scotland Yard are to look over thousands of pages of case files in a bid to unearth new clues, hoping to bring an end to one of the most high profile disappearences in history. Thirty murder squad Britain

officers are now

from on the case, termed Grange.

Reports state that Martin Smith and family members left Kelly's Bar in the resort around 10 p.m. and passed a man walking down the middle of the street, carrying a girl, about 3-4 years old.

It was claimed the child's head was lying against the man's left shoulder and the arms hanging down alongside the body.

Madeleine was almost four when she was reported missing by parents, Gerry and Kate McCann.

At the time the family thought little about it and headed for home the following day but later images from Portugal surrounding the case triggered their memories of the chance meeting.

They travelled to Portugal to give statements on

Operation what they had seen. It was also claimed that the police intended to organise a re-construction of what they saw at the location, in an effort to further jog their memory.

Their evidence has always been regarded as significant, although they couldn't definitively identify the individual concerned.

Detectives have now begun the trawl through the files with the British police visiting Portugal at least four times in the search for new clues.

If new leads can be established, the case can be re-opened, likely to lead to further forensic examination of the Smith's statement.

Madeleine's parents remain convinced their daughter, who would be nine shortly, is still alive and want the case reopened.

- HUBERT MURPHY

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/local-family-may-be-key-to-new-maddie-probe-3049694.html

Strange that doesn't read properly, not my mistakes, it is at it appears in the article

And let us not forget, it was seeing GERRY carrying Sean that prompted Mr Smith to come forward. And that he was 60-80% it was Gerry he had seen. He was certainly sure enough, if this is true, to return to Portugal, which was more than the Tapas crew were prepared to do.

If his statement is unchanged in that regard, then it must surely follow that it is considered credible that it was Gerry that Mr Smith saw???

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 pm

@FREDBEAR wrote:Thanks Annabel

But now with their actual NAMES and on the oringal report you mentioned "The Portuguese police have asked the family not to speak to the press in case they compromise their investigations."

The other bit that I can't understand is that if Gerry was at the table when Kate came back - then how was he seen by the Smiths at "around the same time", or have the Smiths got their timings wrong?

Or have the McCanns added a few minutes onto Kate's alert time. I doubt anyone was looking at their watches (except for K & G & T7 of course).

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 pm

candyfloss wrote:

"defiitively identify" - Oh dear I bet Gerry is getting a mite concerned now.

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FREDBEAR on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 pm

@Gillyspot wrote:
@FREDBEAR wrote:Thanks Annabel

Or have the McCanns added a few minutes onto Kate's alert time. I doubt anyone was looking at their watches (except for K & G & T7 of course).

Oh yes those watches that they did/didn't/did/didn't take with them

The ones they left in the apartment - although "nothing valuable was taken"

FREDBEAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The smiths sighting

Post by aniandr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I know there has been a lot of writing about this, but were gerry from 22.00-22.30?

I think their sighting is very plausible. Have anyone been with gerry at the time of the sighting, except the tapas group?

Could he ore more likely kate have found madeleine dead outsite and gerry carried her down to the sea?

Is that likely?

aniandr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I believe this sighting has been overlooked as well. The problem is the whole night is such a mess with everyone saying they were here or there, who knows to be honest.

Maybe it was half of the soothing couple.

They said it looked like GM, so no doubt it is out of bounds in the SY review.

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

As far as I know, the Smith family told the police they had seen a man with a child shortly after the event and made statements. Later, in September, the father recontacted the police to add to his statement. He said he had seen GM on the television and recognised him, from the way he carried a child and from his way of walking. as the man he had seen in PdL on 3 May.

The Smith sighting was around 9.50pm. The alarm was raised by KM at shortly after 10pm. Criminal profiler Pat Brown walked the distance between apartment 5A to where the Smith sighting took place and found it to be approx. 6 minutes (obviously quicker if you were to run)

If it was GM seen by the Smiths then he would have had time to get back to the Tapas restaurant.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 am

Early witnesses:

21.55 Smith family see man and child approx.

21.58 Exact time. MMMda Silva leaves apt. at (exact time) to car park block 6. Passing block 5 saw no movement of people and no vehicle except small car - grey in colour close to the window of 5a. Saw a light in the apartment above 5a and in 5a. Nothing abnormal.

22.00 (after) RRSB and wife on veranda in apt. Heard noises . GM seen and spoken to. Both went down and helped search.

22.00 to 22.30 Waiter JJMB beween in kitchen, alerted that a guest entered the restaurant screaming and entire group left.

22.17 Hotel ELK get call from LJ creche manager, re missing girl.

Why a light in 5a? Kate said she was in the dark. Plenty of time to get back to table.
I believe the Smith's sighting is true because the McCanns lied about the distance. They said it was 1.6 km. when it is barely half that.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lostfridge on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

@aniandr wrote:I know there has been a lot of writing about this, but were gerry from 22.00-22.30?

I think their sighting is very plausible. Have anyone been with gerry at the time of the sighting, except the tapas group?

Could he ore more likely kate have found madeleine dead outsite and gerry carried her down to the sea?

Is that likely?

I suppose if you believed in GA based theory, that she died in the apartment then two scenarios are possible. She was found dead behind the sofa and while being carrying out of the apartment the victim was placed on the flowerbed at some point (say if you heard someone walking down the road toward you and needed to head them off for a chat?). Or maybe the victim fell onto flower bed from balcony and died and then the body was found and taken back inside and hidden behind the sofa. Its impossible to know or prove as the dogs indications only indicate the cadaver smell and not necessarily meaning an actual body lay there or whose body it was if it did, could be transference/contamination from any source. Then again there was no blood found in flowerbed I don't think, so in the GA based scenario what is the more likely place for the actual place of an accident/death?. Without the forensics to back up the cadaver smell indications its all just supposition of some kind Sad

Lostfridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:20 am

@aniandr wrote:I know there has been a lot of writing about this, but were gerry from 22.00-22.30?

Is that likely?

The Portal shows another topic on the Smiths which is current, since you started this topic perhaps you could ask the Mods to merge the two topics?
The other one is called 'The Smiths sighting being mentioned again.' and not long ago there was:
http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t3958-martin-smith-sighting?highlight=smith+sighting
You might miss quite a lot of information and discussion otherwise.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am

It i better to hurry up before each of the Smiths get a stroke.

marconi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am

@tigger wrote:

Is that likely?

The Portal shows another topic on the Smiths which is current, since you started this topic perhaps you could ask the Mods to merge the two topics?
The other one is called 'The Smiths sighting being mentioned again.' and not long ago there was:
http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t3958-martin-smith-sighting?highlight=smith+sighting
You might miss quite a lot of information and discussion otherwise.

Merged the two topics thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Royston on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am

The part of the Smith statements that makes it all sound correct is the observation by the young Aoife Smith about the buttons on the trousers of the man carrying the child.
I have seen pictures of Gerry wearing trousers with buttons on. Are there any pictures from the night of the disapearance that show if he was wearing them then?

Rob Royston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am

Well that's the thing Rob Royston, we were saying the other day there are hardly any pictures from that holiday. You have to ask why not?

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 am

I cannot remember whether it was in an interview or in his book, but I do remember Gonçalo Amaral ventilating his frustration, that there was no reliable material evidence about what they'd been wearing that evening of May 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 am

Just reading the book again and notice with interest that in the section regarding the sightings [ or shightings as they are now known on twitter] Kate gives an accurate description of the child being carried in an upright position by the man Mr Smith came across...whereas in the McCann-made documentary this was changed so that the JT sighting morphed into it : child lying across man's arms. 
 So the book was truthful to the Smith statement when the documentary was deliberately deceptive.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sheila.edwards on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:13 pm

The Smith sighting is credible to me, but if as has been suggested he may have been friend of murat,it would cast some doubt. I don't know where Malinka lived but if down past sighting could be a connection there as well. think you would have to meet,see these people to assess any further. If possible in six minutes and plan made in group for next check then alarm to be raised when GM got back. If an accident occurred earlier and body left in flower bed until moved just before 10pm still seems like logical possibility:spin: physically anyway.

sheila.edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr What on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Why on earth would the Smith family have reason to make their sighting up, let alone make up a name to the person carrying the child? They haven't.

When you strip away all the contradictory statements from the McCs and friends and the contrived confusion that they managed to create, the only independent witnesses are the Smith family.It was the one event that the Tapas bunch had not factored in when they hurriedly reacted to tragedy and then they had to build a case that would cast doubt on it being GM who the Smiths saw.That was their priority.

All the people familiar with the case files that I know realise this, but they all equally agree......how do you prove it for criminal prosecution purposes? It really does need one of those involved to break ranks and clear their conscience and tell the truth.

Dr What

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by guest. on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Does anybody else think the Smith sighting is GM but just a seriously flawed idea they had to give the impression of an abductor not expecting anybody to see him that close

IMO it is a true statement and to go with that it was GM but I can't imagine he would carry his deceased daughter in plain view so I can only think they hatched the plan of an abductor being seen from a distance at the last minute and to be blunt cocked it up

Hence the JT sighting to counteract the Smith sighting

It doesn't make any sense but I can't really think of anything else

I think JW was a nuisance as at that point they were meant to be busy setting the scene

guest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:55 pm

sally66 wrote:Does anybody else think the Smith sighting is GM but just a seriously flawed idea they had to give the impression of an abductor not expecting anybody to see him that close

IMO it is a true statement and to go with that it was GM but I can't imagine he would carry his deceased daughter in plain view so I can only think they hatched the plan of an abductor being seen from a distance at the last minute and to be blunt cocked it up

Hence the JT sighting to counteract the Smith sighting

It doesn't make any sense but I can't really think of anything else

I think JW was a nuisance as at that point they were meant to be busy setting the scene

Gerry McCann included JT's sighting in his timeline given to the PJ, didn't he, but we were given the impression by JT, in her TV interview I think it was, that she held back telling them about the "mystery man carrying a child" for about 3 hours as she didn't want to upset Kate McCann, so how come Gerry already knew about the sighting and included it ready for when the PJ turned up at the apartment, so it looks very much like it was all staged beforehand.

I sometimes wear flipflops in the evening instead of slippers and when I put the rubbish out late at night for the bin men in the morning it's very hard to walk up and down the drive without making a "flipflop" noise, even if I grip them with my toes (all my neighbours go to bed very early),so I can't imagine that JT would have walked along the road without making a noise and JW didn't see or hear her.

I doubt Gerry McCann would have been carrying his dead daughter around PDL, too risky, more likely to have been a Madeleine "lookalike" to set up the abduction theory and to make sure he was seen by someone, but not too close.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum