The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Media and the McCanns

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Media and the McCanns

Post by tigger on 19.02.12 16:19

This is from Correio da Manhã but quotes are from the diary and Gerry's blog where stated.
 27 July 2008

Kate and Gerry McCann have controlled the media reporting their daughter's disappearance. In order not to be criticised by the British Press, Madeleine McCann's parents offered photoshoots, some of them during their usual morning walks – which were apparently routine but turned out to be pre-arranged, as Kate's personal notes reveal.

Kate and Gerry McCann controlled the British media in the news coverage of their daughter's disappearance. In order to avoid criticism from the English press, Maddie's parents offered photoshoots, some of them during their usual morning walks in the Algarve – which were apparently routine, but previously arranged, as Kate's notes reveal.

"The British journalists were annoyed because they found out too late that I had been in the United Kingdom. It ended up with Justine receiving loads of phone calls and arranging for a photoshoot on the way to the church, to pacify them", Kate writes on the 5th of July.

"Dress up and go for a walk. It had been requested by photographers and agreed that for sentimental reasons it would be good". This walk happened on the 7th of June, three days after Kate registered that she had been "annoyed" about the presence of Portuguese journalists outside the apartment. Before that, on the 19th of May, the photoshoot for the English newspaper 'Sunday Mirror' was previously arranged: "Us spending time with the twins for the Sunday papers".

In the same notes, Kate expresses distress about the Portuguese and the German journalists. On the 11th of June, in Morocco, after Kate made a positive evaluation of the trip because there were so many photographers present, the doctor remembers "noticing" Portuguese journalists. "We didn't want to give them a story", decided the McCanns, who classify the questions from the Portuguese as "sleazy and unexpected", even after preparation meetings that last "four hours": "I was very angry at a journalist today. I told her not to do so much detective work."

Concerning the editor of the 'Sun' newspaper, on the 11th of July Kate was assured that there would be no "adverse publicity": "She was really nice. Perfect solution", Maddie's mother noted.

The McCanns' first days in England were subject to intense media attention. They allowed themselves to be photographed with their children again, after they had agreed exclusives with televisions and newspapers to cover the return.

Days later, Clarence Mitchell opted for another strategy. He agreed with the English journalists that those would never persecute the McCanns again. In exchange, the couple's spokesman would supply fortuitous meetings, and in case the journalists would fail their compromise, he would exclude them from his contact list.

Everyone accepted. When in March CM [Correio da Manhã] tried to speak to the McCanns without going through Clarence Mitchell, we were intercepted by the police. The couple demanded that Portuguese journalists be forbidden from getting close to their house, and their neighbours were advised not to speak.
unquote Correio.

Gerrymccannsblog:
Day 36 - 08/06/2007 - Friday
...The event was organsied by the Sun who, like almost all of the media, have been incredibly supportive. I told Nick, the Sun journalist, that we are happy to support all strategies which increase the chances of finding Madeleine.
Day 37 - 11/06/2007
..a short press interview for the Irish Sunday papers, mainly to thank the Irish for their fantastic level of support. We followed that with one for the British Sundays which is likely to be the last one we do for a while.
Day 50 - 22/06/2007 -  Friday
We were not planning to say anything at the launch but there was such a large turnout from Portuguese TV who we have not spoken
to for some time that we decided to answer their questions.

What I wonder is how the Sun feels about them now. They lifted (allegedly) some parts of Kate's diary from the Correia and published them online only.
The McCanns had them whooshed and were given an undisclosed sum in compensation. (Where's Nick the Sun journo?).
Then we get the Leveson Inquiry - complaining all over again about the Sun. Not about phone hacking for somehow they'd managed to avoid that?

Clarrie must have done various deals with different papers, which is why I quote this:

"Did you kill your wife?" giving us an opportunity to analyze his answer to this great question.  It is a great question since my reference point is modern media in which investigative journalism has become rare, and soft questions are instead asked in hopes of 'landing' the big interview. 
- as well as Clarrie arranging 'fortuitous meetings' for journos who toed the line.
I'm quite impressed by the preparation meetings for interviews which could last up to four hours!!

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Media and the McCanns

Post by wgbrother on 19.02.12 21:10

@tigger wrote:This is from Correio da Manhã but quotes are from the diary and Gerry's blog where stated.
27 July 2008

Kate and Gerry McCann have controlled the media reporting their daughter's disappearance. In order not to be criticised by the British Press, Madeleine McCann's parents offered photoshoots, some of them during their usual morning walks – which were apparently routine but turned out to be pre-arranged, as Kate's personal notes reveal.

Kate and Gerry McCann controlled the British media in the news coverage of their daughter's disappearance. In order to avoid criticism from the English press, Maddie's parents offered photoshoots, some of them during their usual morning walks in the Algarve – which were apparently routine, but previously arranged, as Kate's notes reveal.

"The British journalists were annoyed because they found out too late that I had been in the United Kingdom. It ended up with Justine receiving loads of phone calls and arranging for a photoshoot on the way to the church, to pacify them", Kate writes on the 5th of July.

"Dress up and go for a walk. It had been requested by photographers and agreed that for sentimental reasons it would be good". This walk happened on the 7th of June, three days after Kate registered that she had been "annoyed" about the presence of Portuguese journalists outside the apartment. Before that, on the 19th of May, the photoshoot for the English newspaper 'Sunday Mirror' was previously arranged: "Us spending time with the twins for the Sunday papers".

In the same notes, Kate expresses distress about the Portuguese and the German journalists. On the 11th of June, in Morocco, after Kate made a positive evaluation of the trip because there were so many photographers present, the doctor remembers "noticing" Portuguese journalists. "We didn't want to give them a story", decided the McCanns, who classify the questions from the Portuguese as "sleazy and unexpected", even after preparation meetings that last "four hours": "I was very angry at a journalist today. I told her not to do so much detective work."

Concerning the editor of the 'Sun' newspaper, on the 11th of July Kate was assured that there would be no "adverse publicity": "She was really nice. Perfect solution", Maddie's mother noted.

The McCanns' first days in England were subject to intense media attention. They allowed themselves to be photographed with their children again, after they had agreed exclusives with televisions and newspapers to cover the return.

Days later, Clarence Mitchell opted for another strategy. He agreed with the English journalists that those would never persecute the McCanns again. In exchange, the couple's spokesman would supply fortuitous meetings, and in case the journalists would fail their compromise, he would exclude them from his contact list.

Everyone accepted. When in March CM [Correio da Manhã] tried to speak to the McCanns without going through Clarence Mitchell, we were intercepted by the police. The couple demanded that Portuguese journalists be forbidden from getting close to their house, and their neighbours were advised not to speak.
unquote Correio.

Gerrymccannsblog:
Day 36 - 08/06/2007 - Friday
...The event was organsied by the Sun who, like almost all of the media, have been incredibly supportive. I told Nick, the Sun journalist, that we are happy to support all strategies which increase the chances of finding Madeleine.
Day 37 - 11/06/2007
..a short press interview for the Irish Sunday papers, mainly to thank the Irish for their fantastic level of support. We followed that with one for the British Sundays which is likely to be the last one we do for a while.
Day 50 - 22/06/2007 - Friday
We were not planning to say anything at the launch but there was such a large turnout from Portuguese TV who we have not spoken
to for some time that we decided to answer their questions.

What I wonder is how the Sun feels about them now. They lifted (allegedly) some parts of Kate's diary from the Correia and published them online only.
The McCanns had them whooshed and were given an undisclosed sum in compensation. (Where's Nick the Sun journo?).
Then we get the Leveson Inquiry - complaining all over again about the Sun. Not about phone hacking for somehow they'd managed to avoid that?

Clarrie must have done various deals with different papers, which is why I quote this:

"Did you kill your wife?" giving us an opportunity to analyze his answer to this great question. It is a great question since my reference point is modern media in which investigative journalism has become rare, and soft questions are instead asked in hopes of 'landing' the big interview.
- as well as Clarrie arranging 'fortuitous meetings' for journos who toed the line.
I'm quite impressed by the preparation meetings for interviews which could last up to four hours!!

What actual point are you making?

That Gerry and Kate McCann were controlling the media?

How so when they spectacularly failed in that?

Did you miss the hundreds of articles that they didn't agree with because they were lies?

Did you miss the fact that they took the media to court and earned a substantial sum in damages from them which they put in the fund?

wgbrother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.02.12 21:17

I don't think they took them to court, didn't they get an out of court settlement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 19.02.12 21:22

@wgbrother wrote:

Did you miss the hundreds of articles that they didn't agree with because they were lies?

Did you miss the fact that they took the media to court and earned a substantial sum in damages from them which they put in the fund?

People working for the McCann's have admitted manipulating the media, did you miss all those reports?

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wgbrother on 19.02.12 22:49

candyfloss wrote:I don't think they took them to court, didn't they get an out of court settlement.

Yes an out of court settlement at the last minute agreed in front of the judge and announced on the High Court steps.

wgbrother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wgbrother on 19.02.12 22:50

@Daisy wrote:
@wgbrother wrote:

People working for the McCann's have admitted manipulating the media, did you miss all those reports?

Yes I must have missed them all. Could you provide a few links to some of them and enlighten me?

wgbrother

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.02.12 22:56

Try the Leveson inquiry, where IIRC witnesses have said they ran stories past Clarence Mitchell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 19.02.12 23:10

@wgbrother wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@wgbrother wrote:

Yes I must have missed them all. Could you provide a few links to some of them and enlighten me?

Certainly. We don't really need to go into Clarence Mitchell's role do we? I'm sure you're well aware what his 'expertise' is?

Then we have Angus McBride:

"Drawing on his own experiences working for the McCann family in the months after Madeleine was abducted, he recalls visiting a number of Fleet Street editors to ask them to show restraint in their reporting, particularly over some of the wilder uncorroborated claims that were being circulated by the Portuguese press."

If this isn't manipulating the media I don't know what is. I wonder how many other clients (nay, ex clients) Mr McBride has gone out of his way for like this? Do you think he regularly trots around Fleet Street trying to silence stories on his ex clients? Serious questions.

Makes me wonder to what extent the media are being leant on by these top brass lawyers, what are we not being told.

Source for above quote in here: http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t3664-angus-mcbride-mccanns-former-lawyer-tells-how-he-manipulated-media

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on 20.02.12 7:14

@wgbrother wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@wgbrother wrote:

Clarence Mitchell gave a speech on his work for the McCanns calling it the "perfect PR campaign". Would you disagree with him?

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 20.02.12 7:44

Russiandoll fromt he topic 'Dear Clarence'
I’d stress as well that the money that people have donated from around
the world is only being spent on that campaign and Kate and Gerry’s
legal costs and media management in the shape of me that’s all coming
from the financial benefactors who are contributing quite separately so
that anybody who has given money to help find Madeleine need have no
fear that their money is being spent on lawyers fees or anything like
that.

and front he same topic:
ufercoffy

Clarence said there is a wholly innocent explanation for anything the police may or may not have found.

We know about the 'wholly innocent' explanations for what was found (dirty nappies, rotting meat etc)

But what are the wholly innocent explanations for what the police didn't find?
unquote.

Clarence, imo doesn't seem to hear himself talk. The last bit in bold is still my favourite, a sort of secular absolution from the great man himself.

Yet the press - for reasons stated in this topic - have toed the line in general.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie on 20.02.12 17:23

wgbrother says that the McCanns 'earned a substantial sum in damages' they didn't earn any of it and imo didn't deserve a penny of it either.

Ollie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 20.02.12 17:33

@tigger wrote:
Clarence said there is a wholly innocent explanation for anything the police may or may not have found.
We know about the 'wholly innocent' explanations for what was found (dirty nappies, rotting meat etc)
But what are the wholly innocent explanations for what the police didn't find?
-
Clarence, imo doesn't seem to hear himself talk. The last bit in bold is still my favourite, a sort of secular absolution from the great man himself.
It is also one of my favourites, as it clearly implies that he knows much more than the McCanns or indeed any other witness have actually told the police. With those words he turned the cooperative approach of "let us all search for Madeleine" into the accusatorial "Find the body and prove we did it".
In trying to make himself sound important he has made himself look either like a co-conspirator with people who probably did not wish to be thought of or exposed as conspirators, or as a complete idiot whose command of English grammar and of logic should preclude him from holding the position of spokesman to anyone. Ever.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 22.02.12 14:35

I hadn't come across this amusing article before. The interview with Vanity Fair is very long so I'll just post a link to it. It's clear to see why the McCanns didn't like it - I think the interviewer wasn't exactly pro McC.

Expresso article

Maria Barbosa
02 February 2008

Extract:

To 'Expresso', Clarence Mitchell revealed additionally that the extensive feature devoted to the Maddie case in the February issue of 'Vanity Fair' didn't please the McCanns. Although they're used to denying the news that is published daily in the Portuguese and British press, this instance "goes further".

In Mitchell's words, the incorrections start right at the beginning of the article, where it's announced "the first interview with Gerry McCann since he and his wife, Kate, were declared arguidos". And the conversation between the 'Vanity Fair' journalist, Judy Bachrach, and Gerry — that took place at the end of September — "should not have been transcribed. We agreed previously that it would be all off the record and the reporter agreed. We were caught by surprise".

The magazine tells additionally (taking recourse to the statements of Esther Adley, from 'The Guardian') that Gerry, after the decision to return to the UK, on September 9, and already under the arguido status, contacted Sky News previously warning them to reserve a seat on the EasyJet flight. Mitchell, that was not the couple's spokesman at the time, denies everything and only regrets that the reporter didn't confront Gerry with such "accusations".

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/02/mccanns200802

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 22.02.12 15:05

The statement made by Gerry at the Leveson inquiry deserves to be here. I've tried to analyze it as best I can - given Gerry's grammar and random choice of words.

I strongly believe in freedom of speech, but where you have people who are repeatedly carrying out inaccuracies and have been shown to do so, then they should be held to account. That is the issue. I don't have a problem with somebody purporting a theory, writing fiction, suggestions, but clearly we've got to a stage where substandard reporting and sources, unnamed, made-up, non-verifiable, are a daily occurrence.

Just to break down this grammatically offensive statement:
I strongly believe in freedom of speech.
Good, we're right with you there!
But where you have people who are repeatedly carrying out inaccuracies and have been shown to do so, then they should be held to account.
(This seems to have lost something in translation - one cannot 'carry out an inaccuracy' one can be inaccurate in statements or writing).
I don't have a problem with somebody 'purporting' theories, writing fiction or suggestions.
I take this to mean we may theorise.
We may write fiction (disclaimers in most fiction books based on known events already take care of that, we don't need Gerry's permission for that).
We may make suggestions.

But clearly we've got to a stage where substandard reporting and sources, unnamed, made-up, non-verifiable, are a daily occurrence
This last sentence I take to refer to the press, rather than any forum, this forum in particular is very keen on references and sources on which our theories or suggestions are based. We're constantly correcting each other.
Since we recently were treated to an article 'from a legal source' which turned out to be a person living close to the McCanns in Rothley - one might feel that references could be clearer on their part too. (this was the article publicising the new paperback).

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spin at it's best - Clarrie take note?

Post by tigger on 23.02.12 7:38

http://kevinrudd.info/index.php?pgr=_xhome&co=features.php&fn=1108

Could not resist posting this. Excellent example of spin!

Selling The Family Tree
Great Leader Proves He's King of Spin
Judy Rudd, an amateur genealogy researcher in southern Queensland, was doing some personal work on her own family tree when she discovered that she shares a great uncle with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

Remus Rudd, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Melbourne in 1889 and Judy was delighted to discover she shares this common ancesotor with Great Leader.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows at the Melbourne Gaol:

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Rudd horse thief, sent to Melbourne Gaol 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Melbourne-Geelong train six times. Caught by Victoria Police Force, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

Thirsty for more information on this rogue in the family tree, Judy e-mailed Prime Minister Rudd for information about their great-great uncle Remus.

Great Leader's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:

Remus Rudd was famous in Victoria during the mid to late 1800s . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Melbourne-Geelong Railroad.

Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.

In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the Victoria Police Force. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honour when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum