The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Rupert Murdoch to Launch Sun on Sunday Newspaper 'soon'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rupert Murdoch to Launch Sun on Sunday Newspaper 'soon'

Post by jd on 17.02.12 16:59

Here it is....and the flock of sheep will be buying it in their droves. Back to square one again and Murdoch and co getting away with it like nothing ever happened..the same will not be happening to the mccanns

Rupert Murdoch has told staff at the Sun newspaper in London he will launch the Sun on Sunday tabloid "very soon".

The News Corporation boss, 81, offered his support to Sun journalists at News International's offices in Wapping.

Ten current and former senior staff at the paper have been arrested since November in connection with alleged corrupt payments to public officials.

Mr Murdoch lifted all staff suspensions pending police inquiries, a move Labour MP Chris Bryant called "cynical".

The high-profile campaigner against and victim of phone hacking, said the decision to lift the suspensions was hypocritical.

"It is massively premature because one would have thought the Murdoch empire would want to wait until Leveson had completed his inquiry and the police and prosecuting authorities had completed their investigations," he said.

"News International has tirelessly campaigned for people who have been charged to be suspended from public office and yet journalists who have been charged at News International are apparently not going to be suspended."

Continue reading the main story
Analysis

Torin Douglas
BBC media correspondent
Rupert Murdoch's decision to go ahead with the Sun on Sunday is a typically bold move, designed to restore journalists' morale and regain the initiative, but many uncertainties remain.

It was widely believed that the replacement for the News of the World had been suspended indefinitely after the fallout from the phone-hacking scandal spread to other Murdoch papers.

The arrest of so many senior Sun journalists seemed to make the launch of a seventh-day Sun impractical.

And the American parent company News Corp was known to be disenchanted with the UK newspaper business.

Will it really want to invest more money in it at a time of such legal and financial uncertainty?

Mr Bryant was awarded £30,000 in damages after his phone was hacked by the now defunct News of the World (NoW). Lord Justice Leveson's ongoing inquiry is examining press standards and ethics.

In an email to staff, Mr Murdoch said: "We will build on the Sun's proud heritage by launching the Sun on Sunday very soon.

"Having a winning paper is the best answer to our critics."

He said he would stay in London for the next several weeks but, describing the recent arrests as a "great source of pain", warned: "Illegal activities simply cannot and will not be tolerated".

But Mr Murdoch praised the "superb work" of Sun journalists and said "the Sun is a part of me".

The company was doing everything it could to assist those who had been arrested, his email said.

"News Corporation will cover their legal expenses. Everyone is innocent unless proven otherwise," it said.

A middle-ranking News International journalist told the BBC the mood amongst colleagues was "chaos in a good and bad way. Mainly good actually. People really happy at fighting talk".

Last year News Corporation closed the NoW over impropriety.

'Huge mistake'
Revelations that staff employed by the newspaper hacked the phones of public figures prompted the closure of the 168-year-old publication.

Mr Murdoch arrived on a private plane at Luton Airport from the US on Thursday evening and was taken to Wapping in a vehicle with blacked-out windows.

The meeting followed anger at the way in which the News Corporation's management and standards committee - set up to investigate allegations of wrongdoing - passed on information to the police.

Demonstrators protest outside News International's Wapping offices in east London
The National Union of Journalists has said news organisations have a duty to protect their sources, and is considering a legal challenge to the company.

General secretary Michelle Stanistreet (NUJ) told the BBC Mr Murdoch could have stemmed the "huge anger and frustration" by calling off the committee and acknowledging its action had been a "huge mistake".

"It's done a huge disservice to press freedom because we have a situation now where confidential sources have been betrayed... it's been handled so badly," she said.

Media commentator Steve Hewlett said Mr Murdoch was facing the kind of "ructions" in his company he had never seen before.

"What he's trying to say to the people here is 'look we really are on the same side', but the fact is he is between a rock and a hard place and these are both of his and his company's own making," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17070555

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rupert Murdoch to Launch Sun on Sunday Newspaper 'soon'

Post by tiny on 17.02.12 17:07

money talks and gov backing helps.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.02.12 17:12

Hmm, on the NOTW online topic I said I thought Murdoch would relaunch the hard copy some time in the future, since he's the kind of man to plot his revenge before any defeat. So it's to be the Sun on Sunday instead.
Well, it's all the same - I have some sympathy for Murdoch, (not that I like him) for he's being taken to task by a bunch of hypocrites, something he isn't himself.
Heard a snippet fromt R4 news quiz last week, some people such as Hugh Grant have appeared before Leveson again and he is definitely through to the finals! Much the same can be said for the McCanns, I think they might regret their appearance when the press is finally allowed to print what they know to be facts.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 17.02.12 17:13

The best thing the public could do is never to buy it

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.02.12 19:24

@jd wrote:The best thing the public could do is never to buy it

I rarely buy newspapers, but never the tabloids, it's tough, because I need them for the cat litter tray.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 18.02.12 0:15

Not a surprise really. I remember reading somewhere that a domain, or company name 'sun on sunday' was registered within days/hours of the closure.

What DOES surprise me is this being announced before the conclusion of the ongoing enquiries! Does he know the outcome already?

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 18.02.12 7:56

@listener wrote:Not a surprise really. I remember reading somewhere that a domain, or company name 'sun on sunday' was registered within days/hours of the closure

That was always the plan. Sack the staff of 200 at NOW then the Sunday edition of The Sun can be produced by staff at the daily.
Both the domains TheSunOnSunday.co.uk and SunOnSunday.co.uk were registered by NI on 5 July, two days BEFORE the closure of NOW was announced. TheSunOnSunday.com was also registered on the same day by Corporate Domains.

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 18.02.12 8:20

@Ribisl wrote:
@listener wrote:Not a surprise really. I remember reading somewhere that a domain, or company name 'sun on sunday' was registered within days/hours of the closure

That was always the plan. Sack the staff of 200 at NOW then the Sunday edition of The Sun can be produced by staff at the daily.
Both the domains TheSunOnSunday.co.uk and SunOnSunday.co.uk were registered by NI on 5 July, two days BEFORE the closure of NOW was announced. TheSunOnSunday.com was also registered on the same day by Corporate Domains.

Very neat. Clever of you to find that. But Murdoch is no worse than the average politician, in fact he'd be much better at that job than many in government.
I don't like Murdoch, but I like the politicians who have licked his boots even less and why should Murdoch rate such creatures at all?
Global industries, global media moguls and politicians totally dependent on the first two - that's it.
The video on youtube 'Orwell rolls in his grave' is a good documentary on the press.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 18.02.12 10:20

@tigger wrote:
I don't like Murdoch, but I like the politicians who have licked his boots even less and why should Murdoch rate such creatures at all?
Global industries, global media moguls and politicians totally dependent on the first two - that's it.
The video on youtube 'Orwell rolls in his grave' is a good documentary on the press.

Can’t agree more. Tigger. I despair of politicians too. Sometimes I get this sinking feeling that our politicians may be worse than the despots of Africa or murderous dictators of the Middle East for their sheer hypocrisy. Give me a Murdoch rather than Gordon Brown any day.

A brief reflection - We have to live with a certain amount of nepotism and corruption in the business world where who-you-know has always got things done. But I see this is becoming more noticeable in the current recession, influenced no less by the growth of networking culture. Furthermore, people are becoming greedier through necessity (very sad) as opposed to the eighties pure materialism that was Thatcher.

By the way, I am known to be choosy about what paper went under our cats’ litter tray laughat

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 18.02.12 11:44

@listener wrote:Not a surprise really. I remember reading somewhere that a domain, or company name 'sun on sunday' was registered within days/hours of the closure.

What DOES surprise me is this being announced before the conclusion of the ongoing enquiries! Does he know the outcome already?

I should think he does, Murdoch is a very smart operator. As we all know, the whole Leveson enquiry is just an exercise in PR. But the best thing about it is that the McCanns have annoyed Murdoch now. That can only be good news for us. They were literally in bed with the Sun. Got paid for exclusives, the diary and extracts from the book.

yes, Ribisi, my cats are very discerning too and mostly prefer the DT.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum